monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 12:22 pm
@blatham,
She is also being investigated for stocks she still owned but sold in Match after inquiry was started. These stocks were from a company that she previously was on the board, and:

Probe into US transport chief Elaine Chao’s China links shows ‘lack of understanding’ of Asian values, department says

Oversight panel is looking into accusations that Chao used her office to benefit family’s business

Her father and sisters own shipping firm that carries goods between US and China and has received low interest loans from Chinese government to buy ships

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/3031061/probe-us-transport-chief-elaine-chaos-china-links

blatham wrote:

I'm sure this is legit
Quote:
In her first 14 months as Transportation secretary, Elaine Chao met with officials from Kentucky, which her husband Mitch McConnell represents in the Senate, vastly more often than those from any other state.

In all, 25 percent of Chao’s scheduled meetings with local officials of any state from January 2017 to March 2018 were with Kentuckians, who make up only about 1.3 percent of the U.S. population. The next closest were Indiana and Georgia, with 6 percent of meetings each, according to Chao’s calendar records, the only ones that have been made public.
Politico
BillW

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 12:24 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Poor, innocent and attacked-from-all-sides Donald. I suspect that in the next couple of weeks or so, he and Fox will tell us that what's happening to him now is just like being gang-raped by the Central Park Five.

tRump being gang raped, hhhmmmmm, are there videos?
tsarstepan

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 01:21 pm
@BillW,
Trump's recent military decision to pull the US military from Syria could indirectly result in thousands of possible terrorists set free onto the world.

Trump Declares ‘Time for Us to Get Out’ of Syria as Republicans Object

Quote:
Senator Mitt Romney, Republican of Utah, shared a tweet from Mr. Graham and added his own thoughts. “The President’s decision to abandon our Kurd allies in the face of an assault by Turkey is a betrayal,” he wrote. “It says that America is an unreliable ally; it facilitates ISIS resurgence; and it presages another humanitarian disaster.”

Quote:
But if Turkey moves against the Kurds, the S.D.F. could abandon camps to fight the Turks, potentially allowing some 10,000 captured Islamic State fighters, including 2,000 foreigners, to escape. United States military officers were trying to reassure the S.D.F. in hopes of avoiding such a scenario.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 05:42 pm
@blatham,
😀👍🏾

Thanks. This forum would be greatly diminished without your contributions, IMO.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 05:43 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Time for a group hug!

I could use it, brother.
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 06:03 pm
I think this is what Blatham calls "voices from the right."

Quote:
What Happened to Rudy Giuliani?

On Oct. 8, 1994, my wife Liz Bruder and I were married in City Hall by Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani. For 25 years, I carried a wallet-size photo of the three of us from that day.

Liz and I met working on Mr. Giuliani’s 1993 mayoral campaign. She was the campaign’s deputy finance director and I was the spokesman. Our small paid staff and hundreds of volunteers worked tirelessly to elect Rudy after he had narrowly lost to the incumbent, David Dinkins, in 1989.

Rudy told The New Yorker in January that he doesn’t think about his legacy, but is afraid that “Rudy Giuliani: He lied for Trump” will be on his gravestone. “Somehow, I don’t think that will be it,” he said. “But, if it is, so what do I care? I’ll be dead.”

He may not care, but anyone who worked on his winning campaigns in 1993 and 1997 or in City Hall during his two terms as mayor does care about his legacy — and theirs. We were proud to live and work in the clean, safe, prosperous city that Rudy ran and that Mayor Michael Bloomberg inherited from him.

“America’s Mayor,” as Rudy was called after Sept. 11, is today President Trump’s bumbling personal lawyer and henchman, his apologist and defender of the indefensible.

Friends and family constantly ask me, “Has he lost it? Is he crazy? How could you work for a guy like that?” At a recent dinner party, a stranger suggested that I’m not legally married because Rudy, a three-time loser at marriage, officiated our wedding.

He wasn’t always like this.

I was a partner in a successful consulting firm, fed up with living in a dangerous, dirty city when I went to work on Rudy’s nascent 1993 mayoral campaign. On Dec. 10, 1992, I watched Citizen Rudy heroically race into the Church of St. Agnes on East 43rd Street when a fire broke out. He emerged leading the parishioners and carrying the chalice, his suit jacket covered in soot. That was the Rudy I admired.

My work with Rudy peaked on Election Day, 1993, when his two-point victory over Mayor Dinkins reversed a two-point loss in 1989. After celebrating with Rudy, his family, friends and our campaign team, I slept on the floor of his Hilton Hotel suite. The next morning, I accompanied him downstairs to shoot his scene for a “Seinfeld” episode on nonfat yogurt. The following day, I left for a private sector communications job.

Last year, I declared my continuing respect for Rudy in an op-ed essay in The New York Daily News. I argued that his unwavering defense of the president reflected his instinctive hardball personality — and that playing hardball required guts and conviction. “Even if they could, most people wouldn’t change who they are, particularly if their personalities had made them successful in life,” I wrote. “Rudolph William Louis Giuliani is no different.”

But in truth, Rudy had already begun to turn me off.

On Oct. 9, 2016, he appeared as candidate Trump’s lone campaign surrogate on the Sunday morning political programs to enthusiastically defend Mr. Trump’s infantile 2005 Access Hollywood interview as “locker room talk.” He said, “Men at times talk like that.” I said to myself, “No, Rudy, we don’t.”

Fast forward to Rudy’s Ukraine misadventure. This is not Rudy vigorously defending Mr. Trump’s bad behavior. This is Rudy, as a private citizen and personal attorney for the president, lamely acting as a shadow secretary of state and Trump enforcer by attempting to influence the 2020 election in favor of his client.

I’ve remained in regular contact with my campaign colleagues, many of whom served in senior-level positions in the Giuliani administration. We’ve talked about his successes and his failures: reducing crime, improving the quality of life and reforming welfare as mayor; his prostate cancer and aborted Senate run against Hillary Clinton; his failed presidential bid and his widely hailed performance on and after Sept. 11.

Now the Ukraine story has us burning up the phone lines. Even former “Yes Rudys” have begun to question their blind fealty to him.

“If Rudy doesn’t get a lawyer, he’s crazier than I thought,” a 1993 campaign colleague and high-ranking Giuliani administration official said when the Ukraine scandal broke. A former senior adviser called him “crazy.” Those closest to him beg him to stop talking.

Some longtime Giuliani intimates point to the death on July 7, 2016 of his longtime best friend and political adviser, Peter Powers, as the moment that Rudy lost his way. Others cite Rudy’s marriage in 2003 to Judith Nathan, his soon-to-be third ex-wife, as transformational. Rudy was a pizza and Diet Coke guy when I met him in 1992. But he became an Upper East Side and Hamptons socialite and, worse yet, a Palm Beach neighbor of Donald Trump.

After his mayoralty ended in 2002, Rudy went to work for what seemed like every rich bad guy and tinpot dictator who called. (So going to work for Mr. Trump made sense.) He charged $100,000 for self-aggrandizing speeches about his heroic leadership after Sept. 11. He became a multimillionaire.

In perfect political symmetry, Rudy Giuliani now does Donald Trump’s dirty work: Vainly trying to cover up the Ukrainian cover-up and attacking a Democratic presidential front-runner, Joe Biden, and his son, Hunter.

Watching and reading Rudy’s ferocious lying for Mr. Trump, whether on Fox or CNN, forced me to re-examine his last 25 years, especially the profiteering from Sept. 11. But Ukraine was the coup de grâce. We who admired him for so long expected much more from Rudy Giuliani and his legacy.

That wedding photograph with Rudy? I took it out of my wallet recently and put it in a drawer, probably forever.

NYT
blatham

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 06:32 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Time for a group hug!
I'll bring the baby oil.
blatham

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 06:33 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
She is also being investigated for stocks she still owned but sold in Match after inquiry was started.
One might conclude that the US needs a far more robust ethics monitoring regime.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 06:37 pm
@revelette1,
That certainly rings true, rev.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 06:41 pm
In today's (second) installment in Voices From The Right
Quote:
Bush’s Chief Of Staff Endorses Impeachment Probe: ‘Lines Have Been Crossed’

Former President George W. Bush officials Andy Card and Colin Powell are now sounding off President Trump’s attempt to strong-arm foreign governments to manufacture dirt on former Vice President Joe Biden and lending credence into Democrats’ impeachment inquiry.

During an “MSNBC Live” segment Monday morning, former Bush White House chief of staff Andy Card said that the impeachment inquiry was “warranted.” However, Card said he thought Trump’s call for China to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter was “frivolous.”

When asked about why he views Trump’s China comment as not “a serious request,” Card responded that he thinks the President “speaks with hyperbole far too much.”

“He wants you to come in to see the freak show,” Card said. “So I don’t always agree with what he says and how he says it — I wish he would be more careful with the language he uses, the tweets he sends out. But I do think that an impeachment inquiry is warranted. Clearly, lines have been crossed.”
TPM
0 Replies

snood

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 07:18 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Time for a group hug!
I'll bring the baby oil.

Ew. Pass.😂
blatham

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 07:20 pm
@snood,
No pressure. You can slip in and slip out as you choose.
blatham

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 07:22 pm
Quote:
...Unlike other hallmark political scandals, where presidents caught in the crossfire do their best to spin the facts to their advantage and hope to win over voters with a coherent messaging war, Republicans are opting for a different route for Trump's unfolding crisis. Taking their cues from Fox News, the entire Trump defense is now based on wholesale lies and rattled conspiracy theories. That poses a key question: How can America have a national debate about impeachment if one side has been willingly brainwashed by Fox News? And that includes Trump himself.

Note that last week a Monmouth University poll revealed that six in 10 self-identified Republicans don't believe that Trump mentioned Joe Biden during Trump's infamous call with Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky, when Trump demanded the foreign power dig up dirt on a political foe. Think about it: More than half of Republicans think Trump never mentioned Biden, even though Trump has publicly acknowledged mentioning Biden on the phone, and actually bragged about it.
Eric Boehlert
BillW

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 08:13 pm
tRump allies pressed Ukraine over gas firm

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/07/trump-allies-pressed-ukraine-over-gas-firm.html

tRump and accomplishes' corruption into the Ukranian LPNG processing plant business is unbelievable.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 04:46 am
Evangelical sex and pool boys update
Quote:
Jerry Falwell Jr has settled the lawsuit tied to the “pool boy”/Miami dive hostel story. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the terms of the settlement are not being disclosed. To remind everyone, the suit was brought by yet another guy, Gordon Bello, a high friend of Giancarlo Granda, the pool boy. He claimed that he’d been promised 25% of the hostel business.

One additional complexity: Bello originally sued under the name Jesus Fernandez, Jr., which was his name. Be and his father changed their names to Gordon and Jett Bello during the litigation allegedly because of threats against them tied to the lawsuit.

What I hadn’t been aware of is that Bello apparently also claimed or at least suggested a relationship with Rebecca (Becki) Falwell as part of his lawsuit. The article in The Miami Herald which reported the settlement includes this paragraph.

Quote:
Bello said in court papers that he first met Rebecca Falwell through Granda, and formed a “personal relationship” with her before he met Jerry Falwell in the lobby of the Loews Miami Beach for the alleged pitch meeting in 2012.

This whole story is filled with hints and suggestions that are never quite spelled out. But if I’m understanding this correctly, Bello and Becki Falwell started a “personal relationship” after being introduced by Granda and Jerry only came into the picture later when money started flowing from the Falwells to Becki’s young male friends in Miami.
TPM
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 04:53 am
Re Trump and Syria

Don't you think we ought to just conclude that this is motivated by nothing other than Trump wishing to change the subject?
blatham

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 05:14 am
Holy poop
Quote:
A majority of Americans say they endorse the decision by House Democrats to begin an impeachment inquiry of President Trump, and nearly half of all adults also say the House should take the additional step and recommend that the president be removed from office, according to a Washington Post-Schar School poll.

The findings indicate that public opinion has shifted quickly against the president and in favor of impeachment proceedings in recent weeks as information has been released about Trump’s efforts to pressure Ukrainian government officials to undertake an investigation into former vice president Joe Biden, a potential 2020 campaign rival, and Biden’s son Hunter.

... poll finds that, by a margin of 58 percent to 38 percent, Americans say the House was correct to undertake the inquiry.

...and almost one-fifth of Republicans say they favor a vote recommending his removal.
WP
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 05:26 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Don't you think we ought to just conclude that this is motivated by nothing other than Trump wishing to change the subject?

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. The goofball president, despite his "great and unmatched wisdom" overlooks the fact that his actions have ignited fires all over the place. It's difficult to change the subject when you are the subject!

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reshareworthy.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F01%2Fhell.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
blatham

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 05:32 am
@hightor,
Quote:
It's difficult to change the subject when you are the subject!
That's very well said, my man.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 06:02 am
There's a very interesting piece up at the WP Here
Quote:
Why his fans think Trump has “great and unmatched wisdom”

...[Andrew] Jackson’s supporters responded to allegations that he was unfit for the presidency by arguing that while it may be true that Adams was the “able diplomatist and elegant writer,” Jackson’s “vigorous judgment,” “frank temper,” “free hand” and “valiant heart,” made him an example of “intellectual superiority,” and a “man of genius.” Jackson launched an age of expanded white male suffrage and with it, a more democratic meaning of intelligence as natural charisma and force of will: something altogether different from the refinement, knowledge and circumspection Adams offered.

There's a rich history here in how American culture has moved this way or that way on perceptions of "intelligence". Just consider Sarah Palin's fans speaking of her "common sense" or georgeob's many posts denigrating "effete intellectuals" or some other such arrangements of words. Again, I'll recommend Hofstadter's Anti-Intellectualism in American Life as the book to read.