monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 01:53 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Are you trying to say you are Donald Trump????? That's who farmerman was talking about.

Don't be silly. He was not talking about Donald Trump when he said "someone other than our president".

glitterbag wrote:
This might be a shock to your system, but not every topic or remark is directed at you.

Pretending that veiled insults are not veiled insults isn't very honorable.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 05:05 am
Judge Leans Toward Blocking Trump Asylum Restriction Nationwide
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 05:27 am
Dare We Dream of the End of the G.O.P.?

In a new book, the pollster Stanley Greenberg predicts a blue tidal wave in 2020.

Quote:
Toward the end of his new book, “R.I.P. G.O.P.,” the renowned Democratic pollster Stanley Greenberg makes a thrilling prediction, delivered with the certainty of prophecy. “The year 2020 will produce a second blue wave on at least the scale of the first in 2018 and finally will crash and shatter the Republican Party that was consumed by the ill-begotten battle to stop the New America from governing,” he writes.

It sounds almost messianic: the Republican Party, that foul agglomeration of bigotry and avarice that has turned American politics into a dystopian farce, not just defeated but destroyed. The inexorable force of demography bringing us a new, enlightened political dispensation. Greenberg foresees “the death of the Republican Party as we’ve known it,” and a Democratic Party “liberated from the nation’s suffocating polarization to use government to advance the public good.” I’d like to believe it, and maybe you would too. But should we?

This is not the first time that experts have predicted the inevitable triumph of progressive politics. Seventeen years ago, John Judis and Ruy Teixeira published “The Emerging Democratic Majority,” which argued that the country was on the cusp of a liberal political realignment driven by growing diversity, urbanization and gender equality. In sheer numerical terms they were right; between then and now the Republican Party won the presidential popular vote only once, in 2004. But Republicans still have more power than Democrats, and in 2017, Judis disavowed his book’s thesis, arguing that only populist economics could deliver Democratic victories.

As it happens, Greenberg, who became famous as Bill Clinton’s pollster in 1992 and consulted for Hillary Clinton in 2016, told me he used to “shudder” at the “Emerging Democratic Majority” analysis. “I’m used to campaigns in which you impact what’s going to happen,” he said. “The idea that it’s just going to happen because of trends is dangerous. And it was dangerous with Hillary.”

There’s a fascinating tension in “R.I.P. G.O.P.” Greenberg is scathing about the failures of the Hillary Clinton campaign, accusing it of “malpractice.” Yet he believes that at least some of the political assumptions that were mistaken in 2016 will be sound in 2020.

Greenberg suggests that Clinton erred by focusing too much on multiculturalism at the expense of class, and by trying to discredit Donald Trump as a vulgarian rather than a plutocrat. As Clinton wrote in “What Happened,” her post mortem of her shattering loss, Greenberg “thought my campaign was too upbeat on the economy, too liberal on immigration, and not vocal enough about trade.”

Yet going into 2020, Greenberg believes that what he calls the “rising American electorate” — including millennials, people of color and single women — will ensure Democratic victory, almost regardless of whom the party nominates. “We’re dealing with demographic and cultural trends, but we’re also dealing with people that are organizing and talking to one and another and becoming much more conscious of their values,” he said.

In his polling and focus groups, he’s seeing that the reaction to Trump is changing people. “The Trump presidency so invaded the public’s consciousness that it was hard to talk to previously disengaged and unregistered unmarried women, people of color and millennials without them going right to Trump,” he writes. A few months after the election, he realized he could no longer put Clinton and Trump voters in focus groups together because indignant Clinton voters, particularly women, so dominated the conversations. “This turned out to be an unintended test of the strength of their views and resolve to resist,” he wrote.

That resolve to resist has led many voters to define their own beliefs in opposition to Trump’s. On immigration, for example, “every Trump outrage increased the proportion of Americans who said, ‘We are an immigrant country,’” writes Greenberg. Indeed, according to recent Pew data, 62 percent of Americans say that immigrants strengthen the country, while 28 percent, a near record low, see them as a burden.

Yet rather than modulating their anti-immigrant politics in response, Republicans have little choice but to double down, because so many of their voters are driven by nativism. In this way, Greenberg sees an omen for the Republican Party in California. It’s hard to remember now, but the state was once the heartland of conservatism, nurturing the political careers of Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. From 1968 to 1988, it voted Republican in every presidential election, and regularly elected Republican governors.

But in 1994, California Republicans, fearful of changing demography, campaigned for Proposition 187, a ballot initiative meant to make life miserable for undocumented immigrants. It won — though courts blocked its implementation — but it also turned expanding constituencies in California against Republicans. Today the party has been reduced to an irrelevant rump faction in state politics.

The specter of California haunts the modern right; many conservatives see it as a portent of what demographic change will do to Republican power nationally. But California can just as easily be seen as a sign of how a political party can drive itself to ruin by making a cruel, doomed stand against the coming generation. If Greenberg is right, national Republicans, fearful of going the way of those in California, may have ensured precisely that fate.

But is he right? Unlike in California, you can’t win power in the United States just by getting the most votes. The political analyst David Wasserman has argued that Trump could lose the popular vote by as much as five million and still prevail in the Electoral College. Greenberg, however, is convinced that the 2018 midterms prove that mass turnout can overcome the Democrats’ structural disadvantages. “Every piece of data I have, the trends have moved to be more Democratic since 2018,” he said.

His confidence will not be enough to lessen the insomnia that has plagued me since the cursed night when Trump was elected. But his book should be a corrective to the media’s overweening focus on the mulish devotion of Trump voters. Trump hatred is a much more potent force in this country than Trump love. There is one way, and one way only, that Trump may surpass Barack Obama. Though Obama was a community organizer, Trump could turn out to be much better at mobilizing progressives.

nyt/goldberg
revelette1

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 05:28 am
Quote:
You’ve heard of the Wars on Drugs, Terror, Poverty, even Women. Well, welcome to the War on Children.

It’s being waged by the Trump administration and other right-wing public officials, regardless of any claimed “family values.”

For evidence, look no further than the report released Wednesday by the Department of Health and Human Services’s own inspector general. It details the trauma suffered by immigrant children separated from their parents under the Trump administration’s evil “zero tolerance” policy.

Thousands of children were placed in overcrowded centers ill-equipped to provide care for them physically or psychologically. Visits to 45 centers around the country resulted in accounts of children who cried inconsolably; who were drugged; who were promised family reunifications that never came; whose severe emotional distress manifested in phantom chest pains, with complaints that “every heartbeat hurts”; who thought their parents had abandoned them or had been murdered.

Such state-sanctioned child abuse was designed to serve as a “deterrent” for asylum-seeking families, as then-Chief of Staff John F. Kelly and other administration officials made clear.

Of course, they failed to recognize just how horrific are the conditions these asylum-seeking children are fleeing — conditions that further decreased HHS’s ability to adequately care for them.

“Staff in multiple facilities reported cases of children who had been kidnapped or raped” back in their home countries, the IG report states. Other children witnessed family members raped or murdered.

But hey, Trump believes these kiddos must be punished further for the crime of seeking refuge — a.k.a., the “invasion” of America.

Despite this and other abundant evidence that government facilities are not able to care for children for extended periods, last month, the administration also announced a new policy that would allow it to keep children (along with their families) in jail-like conditions for longer periods of time.

This is hardly the only way the administration has knowingly enacted policies that harm children.

In August, it finalized a rule that would make it more difficult for immigrants to receive green cards if they have used certain safety-net services they’re legally entitled to — or if government officials suspect they might ever use such services. Confusion and fear about the policy and whom it affects abound. This has already created a “chilling effect” for usage of social services, with immigrant parents disenrolling even their U.S.-citizen children just to be safe.

Last fall, for instance, I interviewed a green-card-holding mother who decided not to enroll her underweight newborn in a program that would have provided free formula (even though the program in question was not mentioned in the rule, and the baby is a U.S. citizen). Huge recent declines in children’s Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program enrollment are also believed to be at least partly a result of fears about this policy change.

And lest you think only immigrant or brown children are being targeted in this war: U.S. servicemembers’ children, of all sorts of backgrounds, are being hurt, too.

The Trump administration is siphoning billions from various defense projects to fund border wall construction, despite promises that Mexico would pay for it. This might sound unlikely to affect kids, but somehow the Trump administration found a way. Among the projects losing funds are schools for the children of U.S. servicemembers based in Kentucky, Germany and Japan, and a child-care center at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland.

Trump’s proposed federal budgets have likewise axed funding for other programs that serve children, such as subsidized school meals and Medicaid. Indeed, both federal and state GOP officials more broadly are still working to kill the Medi­caid expansion, as well as other Affordable Care Act provisions that benefit kids.

The GOP has likewise ignored the pleas of children who want their lives protected from gun violence, or who want their futures protected from a warming planet.

A year ago, I offered a suggestion : that Democrats make children the theme of their midterm campaign. They mostly ignored me and still did okay.

Nonetheless, I’m re-upping it.

Because even without Trump’s baby jails and proposed Medicaid cuts, our country’s emphasis on children’s well- being is seriously deficient.

Last year, for the first time on record, we spent a greater share of the federal budget servicing the national debt than we did on children, according to an analysis out next week from First Focus on Children. Spending on children as a share of the federal budget is also expected to shrink over the coming decade, crowded out by both debt service and spending on the elderly.

This is despite the fact that spending on children (especially low-income children) has among the highest returns on investment of any form of government spending.

Whatever the opposite of Trump’s War on Children is, that’s what Democrats should be running on.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/were-in-the-midst-of-trumps-war-on-children/2019/09/05/03637e30-d016-11e9-b29b-a528dc82154a_story.html
blatham

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 05:39 am
@hightor,
Just read that piece.
Quote:
Though Obama was a community organizer, Trump could turn out to be much better at mobilizing progressives.

I think that's exactly what is going to happen.
oralloy

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 09:04 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
You've heard of the Wars on Drugs, Terror, Poverty, even Women. Well, welcome to the War on Children.

Sounds like progressives are about to throw more kids in cages so they can falsely accuse Republicans again.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 09:07 am
@blatham,
The progressives within the Democrat Party do indeed appear to be both mobilized and quite excited, as you indicate. However, based on the crowd of candidates and the various proposals they have so far put forward, I don't think that result will help the Democrats at all in the coming election. On the contrary they appear to be enthusiastically racing towards the cliff, enchanted by their own rhetoric, but oblivious to the reality that likely lies ahead.
oralloy

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 09:16 am
@georgeob1,
I say let them go right on over that cliff.

Progressives will make a lovely splat when they hit the bottom of the ravine.

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 10:09 am
@georgeob1,
There's nothing I can see in the piece that suggests his use of "progressives" means something more limited than left-leaning voters. Currently, the term has been kidnapped by some on the left (eg Sanders supporters) as a means to differentiate themselves and to give themselves an aura of uniqueness and special legitimacy. But the term has a much broader history even recently (in the last two or three decades). Take his example of California voting patterns. That change had nothing to do with any Sanders-like phenomenon.
izzythepush

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 10:33 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

But the term has a much broader history

https://images4.penguinrandomhouse.com/cover/9781101219508
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 10:41 am
Quote:
A US woman has been charged with human trafficking in the Philippines after she allegedly attempted to smuggle a newborn baby out of the country.

Jennifer Talbot, 43, was arrested at Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila on Wednesday.

A six-day-old boy was reportedly found in her carry-on bag as she attempted to board a plane to the US.

Authorities allege that Ms Talbot did not declare the baby to immigration officials.

The Philippine National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) alleges that Ms Talbot intended to "conceal and sneak the baby out".

The baby's mother and father have been charged under a child protection law, authorities said. The boy has been placed in the custody of social services.

Ms Talbot, from Ohio, was not able to provide a boarding pass or any documentation for the baby, the agency said.

Wearing an orange shirt and in handcuffs, Ms Talbot attended a news conference on Thursday, when the charges against her were announced. She made no comment.

If found guilty, she could face life in prison, Manuel Dimaano, head of the NBI's airport division, told reporters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-49602440
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 11:15 am
@blatham,
Thanks. In my response above I was referring to the whole set of Democrat Presidential contenders. With the possible exception of Joe Biden, all are self-styled progressives (and Joe has lately joined in on their chorus of outlandish proposals).

As a group they appear to me to be listening only to themselves. In my experience this is a fairly sure precursor to disaster for them.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 12:11 pm
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/BWwtDpO.jpg
revelette1

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 12:44 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 12:53 pm
@georgeob1,
Again, your use of "progressive" is questionable. If your contention is that present Democratic candidates (those in contention) have stated policies and goals that tend to be more aggressively leftist than many other prior candidates, that's probably true to some extent. But if Obama arose on the scene right now, he would not be out of place at all.

Aside from that problem in terminology, "listening only to themselves" is a very odd claim to make. All the leading candidates have substantial and passionate followers. Polling tells us that the leaders are all held in higher regard than Trump. So I don't find your claim to make much sense.

The argument made in the initial Edsall piece linked above is that there is, or appears to be, a very strong backlash on the left (broadly speaking) against the politics of the last three years particularly and to Trump particularly. You might believe no such phenomenon exists. I won't argue the point as I doubt I'd make much headway.
blatham

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 01:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I was just about to post that Parscale quote. Let me repeat it as it has direct bearing on an argument I've been making above.
Quote:
Brad Parscale
@parscale
Buy the official Trump marker, which is different than every other marker on the market, because this one has the special ability to drive
@CNN and the rest of the fake news crazy! #KeepMarkersGreat

Here we can see a perfect example of how modern right wing messaging (and policies forwarded) are geared to "owning the libs". Parscale is obviously trolling in a manner to (he hopes) offend the left and to delight the right wing base because he is trolling to own the libs. That's all this is about. Well, not quite all. It is also, as so much else we see going on, a means to flow money to Trump.

But the key point is the trolling. It has become a/the fundamental rhetorical device modern American conservatives absorb and repeat. We simply can't make sense of what's going on without recognizing this. From Limbaugh on through, this is what is making conservatives stupid and hateful.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 01:37 pm
Imagine if the $3.6 billion pulled from the military had been designated for relief in the Bahamas rather than for relief of Trump's sick and craven mind.
blatham

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 01:44 pm
Sarah Huckabee Sanders in her first appearance at Fox as a paid contributor
Quote:
“I’m only the third woman and the first mom to ever be the White House press secretary,” she continued, “and yet women attack me relentlessly instead of being proud that we have more women doing those types of jobs.”
Daily Beast

There may never have been a self-identified Christian who is less an instance of grace and more an instance of disgrace.
McGentrix

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 02:24 pm
@blatham,
Why so much hate for women? Too much rejection?
blatham

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 02:44 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Too much rejection?
Probably as much as I deserved.
Quote:
Why so much hate for women?
Not guilty. When my last wife and I got married by a JP in Greenwich, there were three friends attending. One was my first wife. In the 30 years that JP had been doing wedding services, it was the first time she'd had an ex wife or husband attending.
0 Replies