monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

farmerman

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 07:04 pm
@oralloy,
yeh yeh, why not sweep up the basement and get back to "War Hammer" I ont claim any expertise in recent history but I dont lay about plopping down meadow muffins like you do. Why then did every GOP House member vote gainst the Recovery Act when history has shown that IT WORKED REAL GOOD VERN.
The only thing that these GOP geniuses could come up with was that the Recovery Act and the several others (like the Infrastructure Act) , didnt restore the economy FAST ENOUGH for them. Duuuuhhhh.

Im just amaze that so many voters actually bought theor crap (ven though Hillary, despite her inability to come up with anything that worked off Obama) won the pop vote.

I wonder if th "winner take all" concept of the Electoral College, if it were changed to an apportioning delegate count, woulda made a difference???
oralloy

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 07:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I ont claim any expertise in recent history but I dont lay about plopping down meadow muffins like you do.

You cannot point out anything untrue in anything that I wrote.
farmerman

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 07:18 pm
@oralloy,
Uh Vern , I just did. Reading comp not on your skills set?
oralloy

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 07:27 pm
@farmerman,
No you didn't. What is the supposed error of mine that you think you pointed out?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 07:52 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

farmerman wrote:
I ont claim any expertise in recent history but I dont lay about plopping down meadow muffins like you do.

You cannot point out anything untrue in anything that I wrote.

oralloy wrote:

The Republicans tried working with Obama. He was just too much of an extremist to work with people.

Even I have to say that is just not true.
oralloy

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 10:34 pm
@McGentrix,
Well it is true.

Boehner struck a deal with Obama to raise taxes and cut spending, then Obama gave in to leftist extremists and reneged on the deal.

Moderate Republican senators were going to compromise with Obama and pass immigration reform, but Obama undercut them and did immigration reform via executive order instead.

The reason why Obama didn't achieve anything in the first hundred days of his second term was because he spent the entire first hundred days fighting with the NRA.
McGentrix

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 10:50 pm
@oralloy,
Republicans were pretty much quoted out of the starting blocks that they would make Obama a one term President.

Stop making me defend Obama.
oralloy

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 12:26 am
@McGentrix,
All parties try to win back the White House when the other party wins.

This doesn't change the fact that the Republicans did try to work with Obama, and the reason why it didn't work out was because of Obama's extremism.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 03:06 am
@McGentrix,
Nice to see you.
Quote:
Republicans were pretty much quoted out of the starting blocks that they would make Obama a one term President.
You're treading softly with that "pretty much quoted" phrasing.
Quote:
Here’s John Boehner, the likely speaker if Republicans take the House, offering his plans for Obama’s agenda: “We're going to do everything — and I mean everything we can do — to kill it, stop it, slow it down, whatever we can.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell summed up his plan to National Journal: “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”
politico
oralloy

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 03:33 am
@blatham,
How does that change the fact that Obama caved in to leftist extremists and undermined the budget deal that Boehner had made with him?

How does that change the fact that Obama made a personal choice to waste the entire first hundred days of his second term fighting with the NRA instead of getting something done for the country?

How does that change the fact that Obama undermined the moderate Republicans who were going to try to pass immigration reform, and instead decided to do it all by executive order?

I know that leftists always want to whitewash history. It's too bad that historians won't let them get away with it.
blatham

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 03:56 am
This is related to a thesis I've been forwarding for a decade.
Quote:
There are many recurring themes that help explain what’s happening in the United States under Donald Trump: incompetence, cruelty, racism, self-dealing, misogyny. But the perpetual campaign rally gives shape to all the others. The Trump presidency is the result of politics organized around unending partisan aggression, which has driven out even the pretense of other aims. The only goal of power in the Trump era is to own the libs.
Slate

Though Trump is the apex of this phenomenon, it has been a broad and consistent tendency of the modern American right, particularly in its messaging, for many years. I think we can see a real shift in the mid to late 80s with Limbaugh, followed by other talk radio shows that took him as a model (there was big money in this model for stations and hosts). At around the same time or slightly later, Regnery Publishing was pushing writers like Ann Coulter and Newt Gingrich, two individuals who perhaps most clearly saw that trolling - communicating in a manner that was designed to offend liberals and which was entirely open about that goal or strategy - could build an audience of angry and disaffected conservatives. There is hardly a sentence Coulter has ever uttered or written which did not have the goal of making "liberals' heads explode". Each of these people (and many, many others who followed) have made many millions of dollars for themselves playing this troll game.

But because modern American conservatism is grounded far more deeply in (and is far more familiar with) Coulter and Limbaugh than in Burke or Strauss or Buckley or even Goldwater this trolling model of political discourse has mostly displaced anything more scholarly and intellectually rigorous. That's why facts don't matter to Trump's supporters and why, though to a lesser degree, they didn't with Reagan or Bush/Cheney. Will it piss off liberals to deny climate change? Of course. So that becomes more important than the facts of the situation.
blatham

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 05:15 am
Here's a real big surprise
Quote:
Unmasked: The Russian Men At The Heart Of Italy’s Russian Oil Scandal
The identities of the Russian men behind the proposed oil deal to fund Italy’s far right have been shrouded in mystery — until now. Their connections extend into Vladimir Putin’s inner circle.
Buzzfeed
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 05:18 am
And another, even hugerer, surprise
Quote:
Top Interior official who pushed to expand drilling in Alaska to join oil company there
WP
Walter Hinteler

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 05:44 am
@blatham,
Under federal law, requests by states for disaster declarations are made by governors.

https://i.imgur.com/Js2Cn6t.jpg

Quote:
Tillis is a fellow Republican up for reelection next year and faces a GOP primary challenge. Trump endorsed Tillis in June, telling his nearly 64 million Twitter followers that the first-term senator had “really stepped up to the plate.”

North Carolina’s governor, Roy Cooper, is a Democrat. His office requested the federal disaster declaration Monday after issuing a state emergency declaration Friday.
WP
blatham

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 05:50 am
This is interesting
Quote:
SEBASTIAN GORKA (HOST): Hey Jeanine, we're still live, the mics are live on Youtube.

...Are you doing any events in D.C. again? In the near future?

JEANINE PIRRO (GUEST): I don't know yet. In fact I'm going in tonight, I'm doing Hannity tonight and I gotta find out. They just send me my schedule every day. But if I am, believe me, you're in it --

GORKA: We'd love to have you. Because we post everything, the video, on Youtube and we're getting a quarter of a million views in two days for our biggest interviews with diGenova and everybody, so we'd love to have you in studio.

PIRRO: Oh good. I love it. I would love it. We'll see if they let me. You know Fox reviews everything. They're unbelievable.

GORKA: Yeah but you have got a window because you've got a new book. You should have a carve out right?

PIRRO: No. They're still saying you cannot do Bill O'Reilly, you cannot do Newsmax, you cannot do -- oh no --

GORKA: That's a shame.

PIRRO: You know what, they suspended me. And I'm not going to get fired. You know I'm worried that that suspension was the basis to tee up for anything I do wrong, they'll fire me.

GORKA: Keep doing what you do, keep doing what you do.
Media Matters

And a couple of other wonderful Fox humans (at MM now)
Quote:
Laura Ingraham guest calls Cory Booker “Satanic”

Quote:
Tucker Carlson says a gun buyback program will lead to “civil war”
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 05:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Good catch. That's Trump. His primary strategy, apart from bullying and demanding servility of everyone around him, is to make people stupider. It's the only way he can survive and thrive.

0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 06:12 am
Quote:
NRA
@NRA
"It is shameful to see @Walmart succumb to the pressure of the anti-gun elites. Lines at Walmart will soon be replaced by lines at other retailers who are more supportive of America’s fundamental freedoms."

The use of "anti-gun elites" is, of course, a propagandist framing which draws on the old anti-elitism that's deeply embedded in American culture, particularly right wing culture. One might say it is a populist framing except that the NRA is very well aware of the following:
Quote:
In February 2018, 66% of American voters supported stricter gun laws, in a Quinnipiac University Polling Institute poll with a margin of error of +/- 3.4%, the highest level of support measured since 2008.[15][16] 70% of American adults supported stricter gun laws, according to a CNN poll with a margin of error of +/- 3.7%.[17] 75% of American adults supported stricter gun laws, according to an NPR/Ipsos poll with a margin of error of +/- 3.5%.[18][19] 65% of Americans support stricter gun laws, according to a CBS News poll with a margin of error of +/- 4%.[20] In March 2018, 67% of Americans supported stricter regulation of firearms sales, according to a Gallup poll with a margin of sampling error of +/- 4% at the 95% confidence level, the highest in any Gallup survey since 1993.[21]
wikipedia

0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 06:30 am
Nothing says Jesus like this ****

https://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2019_36/2994256/190902-christian-gun-church-blessing-ceremony-2018-ac-1051p_dec21547efd38ec8bd85ae7583ea59dd.fit-2000w.jpg
revelette1

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 07:33 am
@blatham,
According to the following the last shooting was at least the 38th mass shooting this year. (also left this link on the gun thread)

Texas shooter evaded background check by purchasing weapon in private sale
RABEL222

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 10:31 am
@revelette1,
Background checks are abridging my second amendment right to kill people and I strongly protest. I am assuming someone else's persona today.
0 Replies