monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

RABEL222

Mon 2 Sep, 2019 05:35 pm
@blatham,
I think its the right tense. I don't always have to go to my page to see what I post so catching up is more descriptive than caught up.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:23 am
@RABEL222,
Watching the morning tv, I've learnt that Dorian will hit Alabama (though weathermen said 'no'), and Trump generally never lied.
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 07:17 am
The photo Trump tweeted out from a classified briefing likely came from one of the US's most secretive spy satellites

Quote:
Analysts think the image President Donald Trump tweeted out Friday from a classified briefing to taunt Iran came from one of the US's most advanced satellites.

Specifically, the photo is believed to have come from a US KH-11 spy satellite called USA-224.

"These are high resolution optical satellites that resemble the Hubble Space Telescope but look down to Earth instead of to the heavens," Marco Langbroek, a Dutch expert who tracks satellites, wrote recently.

Trump's tweet came a day after an Iranian rocket designed to carry satellites into space exploded on the launchpad, NPR reported.

Commercial satellite imagery of the blast was made publicly available after the incident, but the photo in Trump's tweet was of a much higher resolution and better quality, leaving experts flabbergasted.

"I've never seen anything like this before," Dave Schmerler, the leading expert on open-source imagery analysis who analyzed photos provided to NPR by Planet Labs, told Insider's Alex Lockie. "I know that [the US military has] amazing capabilities, but I don't know what this is."

Cees Bassa, a professional astronomer who works for Astron, the Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy, was among the first to suggest that based on the features of the launchpad in the photo and the positioning of the camera, the image most likely came from the USA-224.

Michael Thompson, a Purdue University graduate student studying astrodynamics and spacecraft navigation, also used publicly available data to determine that the USA-224 passed over the Iranian space center on Thursday, Spaceflight Now reported.

Bassa explained that these satellites, known as Keyhole satellites, "are believed to produce the sharpest images of the Earth's surface."

Langbroek was also able to simulate the view from the USA-224, and it was a match to the photo Trump tweeted out. "It is a very good match so there is no doubt in my mind that it is an image taken by USA-224," Langbroek wrote on Twitter.

Melissa Hanham, an expert in satellite imagery, told NPR she was initially skeptical that a photo of that quality could have come from a satellite.

"When I saw the image, it was so crystal clear and high-resolution that I did not believe it could come from a satellite," she said, acknowledging that the latest analysis was convincing and suggested that the USA-224 was "very likely" the source of the photo.

Intelligence veterans have suggested that the president's tweet may be a windfall for adversaries, even if the photo in the tweet appeared to be a photo of a photo.

"One doesn't use intel for the purposes of taunting. The Russians and the Chinese will be very happy to study this," Robert Deitz, a former top lawyer at the CIA and the National Security Agency, told Insider.

"I imagine adversaries are going to take a look at this image and reverse-engineer it," Hanham told NPR.

Defending his decision last week, Trump told reporters, "We had a photo and I released it, which I have the absolute right to do."

But former officials stressed that even though, as president, Trump has the authority to declassify anything he wants, he was still expected to act with discretion.

John Sipher, a former CIA clandestine-services officer who spent 28 years at the agency, told Insider that Trump's release of the image was "consistent with his disdain for foreign policy and intelligence expertise." He added: "If he sees an immediate personal or political benefit, he does not feel any need to follow rules, regulations, protocol, or even laws."

Bruce Klinger, a former CIA and DIA imagery analyst, posted on Twitter: "I still remember being warned about carefully controlling top secret information 'whose unauthorized disclosure could result in exceptionally grave danger to the nation' and the penalties associated with violating our responsibilities."

The true capabilities of the $2 billion KH-11 spy satellites are closely guarded secrets, and people who have leaked those secrets have paid a price for it.

In the late 1970s, the former CIA employee William Kampiles was sentenced to 40 years in prison for espionage after he stole an instruction manual for the KH-11 satellites and sold it to the Soviets. In the 1980s, Samuel L. Morison, a Navy intelligence analyst, was sentenced to prison time for leaking three classified KH-11 photos to the press.
oralloy

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 11:06 am
@revelette1,
That's interesting. It's on his twitter feed? I'll have to go check it out and see how good the keyholes are.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Walter Hinteler

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 11:38 am
@revelette1,
That there was an U.S. spy satellite behind Trump's tweet has been found out by several (amateur) satellite trackers, see e.g. this tweet and that blog report.
RABEL222

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 04:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
This crap of the president being above the law is getting rather old. People who gave images to the news went to prison for this, so should he.
livinglava

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 04:44 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

This crap of the president being above the law is getting rather old. People who gave images to the news went to prison for this, so should he.

What has been old for quite a while is Democrats totally boycotting the president because they don't like what he stands for.

You may not like someone's views, but in democracy you listen to them and discuss the issues in a constructive way. You don't just try to hate them away.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 04:53 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Not at all sure what you mean by "... gave images to the news..."

However
Trump's predecessor, Obama made far more frequent unilateral executive and arguably illegal modifications to existing law & policy, in areas ranging from elementary and university education to environmental and energy law to international relations and policy than has Trump.
glitterbag

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 05:27 pm
@georgeob1,
Your absolutely correct George, we are lucky to have someone at the helm who has been able to build a cult of personality. It's about time we finally have someone who isn't afraid to be a Ceausescu or a Fidel Castro, or any one of the celestial immortals who grace the heavenly throne of North Korea. I just hope he allows us to avail ourselves of folding chairs while he increases the length of his 'look at me, look at me' tirades reminding us of our extreme good fortune.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:10 pm
Obama had to resort to executive orders because the intransigent Congress sat on their hands and drew their paychecks. They blamed Obama for their own refusal to work for the people. Trump goes beyond mere executive orders to criminally skirting the law. He has practically crumbled the total structure of the federal government.
oralloy

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
The Republicans tried working with Obama. He was just too much of an extremist to work with people.
farmerman

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
jut bfore Obama took office the GDP tumbled at an annualied rate of 8%. One year after he signed several Exec Orders and squeaking by creating the Recovery Act that was fought against by the GOP the GDP was on track to recover at a rate of +2.6%. Mr Trump should have gotten on his knees and thanked Obama for handing him an economy quite unlike that which Barack Obama inherited.

I understand the republicans policy is to lie about the past , but must you guys be so fuckin proud of yourselves??? Obama reversed a huge pile of BUSH policies that also included a tax cut for the wealthy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:33 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

The Republicans tried working with Obama. He was just too much of an extremist to work with people.
That's bad, even for the Onion.
oralloy

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
Everything that I wrote is factually correct.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
This is an example of how the GOP "Revisionist hitory" works. Call BS "facts" and then argue about irrelevencies.

The fact is had the GOP been in the majority, the RECOVERY ACT would NOT have passed since every Republican in the House voted against it. It wa introduced by a Dem from Wiconsin nd was crafted by a select group, with plenty of head-winds and spikkes in the trees by House and Senate GOP.

Dav Obey lost his House seat because of the misrepresentation of the Recovery Act and the rise of the "tea Party". Ill bet the Tea Party is wishing that they just shut up back in 2010.

Its too bad that Hillary wasnt able to elaborate on what the Obama years had actually accomplished just in the resuscitation an healing of the economy.

edgarblythe

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:51 pm
@farmerman,
The Republicans likely would have voted for the recovery act if Obama had said he was against it. Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:52 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The Republicans tried working with Obama
This is truly the most uninformed statement Ive seen about the OBAMA years.
Were you underground and incommunicado for 8 years starting in 2009??
oralloy

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:55 pm
@farmerman,
That is incorrect. Factual statements are well-informed by definition.

That's why they are factual.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:56 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
This is an example of how the GOP "Revisionist hitory" works. Call BS "facts" and then argue about irrelevencies.

Except everything that I wrote is actually true.