monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 04:23 am
@Builder,
Wrong again. You don't speak for all people.

If you dislike it when I post facts, you speak only for yourself.
MontereyJack

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 04:43 am
@oralloy,
Builder's got this one right.
oralloy

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 04:56 am
@MontereyJack,
Wrong again. You as well speak only for yourself.
MontereyJack

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 05:01 am
@oralloy,
Guess who else speaks only for himself/herself/itself. Give me an o, give me an r, give me an a give me an l...........
oralloy

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 05:10 am
@MontereyJack,
I've never claimed to speak for anyone other than myself. My views are mine and mine alone.
oralloy

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 05:13 am
Is anyone else getting ready for the launch of official vanilla World of Warcraft servers?

😃
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 05:19 am
@oralloy,
thank god.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 08:17 am
@MontereyJack,
https://i.imgur.com/XHzLqEW.jpg

Quote:
Ken Cuccinelli, the acting director of US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), has proposed a new interpretation of the famous welcome that appears on a placard at the Statue of Liberty.

The famous lines, taken from The New Colossus by the 19th-century New York poet Emma Lazarus, read: “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”

In a radio interview on Tuesday, Cuccinelli offered a change: “Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge.”
News Vire

Baldimo

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 09:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Except we didn't have people coming here to get on welfare and other social programs, they didn't exist.
izzythepush

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 09:21 am
More at link.

Quote:
An Israeli air flight attendant who fell ill with measles on an El Al flight from New York to Israel has died, Israeli media say.

The 43-year-old woman became unwell on the flight in April. It is unclear where she contracted the disease.

It is the third death from measles in Israel since November, after none there for 15 years, reports say.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49334572
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 09:59 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Except we didn't have people coming here to get on welfare and other social programs, they didn't exist.
Well, that's what you thin.
Already Jefferson, however, noted that "The care of the poor was another object of the parochial division." (Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1787)

And even a bit earlier, there was the Bill for Support of the Poor.

Poor relief in America emerged mainly from the European (English) heritage of the early settlers, primarily by the Poor Laws of 1594 and 1601.
Baldimo

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 10:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Be it enacted by the General Assembly, that the Aldermen of every county wherein such provision, as is herein after required for setting the poor of the county to work, shall not have been made, shall, so soon as conveniently may be, purchase the inheritance, or procure a lease, of one hundred acres of land, or any less quantity that is sufficient for the purpose intended, in the county, and thereon cause a house to be built, if a proper one be not there already, and kept in repair, and shall cause all persons in their county, who are maintained thereby, or who seek relief therefrom, to be put into such house, to be there maintained and employed in such work as they shall be able to perform; and may also, by their warrant, apprehend and send to the same place all persons found wandering and begging alms, in the county

You will notice in the bold section, it says specifically that they will be put to work... it doesn't say anything about giving away anything for free. They were expected to work on the land they were placed, no free rides.
RABEL222

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 10:24 am
@oralloy,
He spoke for me and about 55% of the u s population. Not everyone is a racist.
MontereyJack

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 10:37 am
@Baldimo,
They arent coming to get on welfare. Thats a right wing myth. Theyrep either fleeing as refugees or coming to try to lift their families out of poverty just like previous generstions of immigrants. Where do you think ICE is taiding. Its the businesses where theyre working their asses off.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 10:40 am
@Baldimo,
Indeed, I remember quite a bit about poverty and welfare in the American founding period since I studied the history of the English Poor Law - the situation in colonies was a kind of by-product of these researches.
And therefor I admit that you are better educated about Jefferson's Notes on the State of Virginia.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 10:41 am
@MontereyJack,
That's the same nonsense we got over here, when it was pointed out that most migrants work they started complaining about them taking away our jobs and places at schools, doctors surgeries and housing.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 10:46 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
He spoke for me and about 55% of the u s population.

Wrong again. Neither you nor he speak for even one percent of the US population.

RABEL222 wrote:
Not everyone is a racist.

You cannot show any examples of me ever being a racist.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 10:50 am
@Baldimo,
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs

We tend to skim over the first clause, but I see nothing wrong in creating jobs for those who can work but can't find employment. The free market isn't particularly interested, however, and the idea of government, on any level, expecting people to work and providing them with meaningful employment has gone out of fashion. The logistics are tricky as well — moving, housing, and training people to do public service work in, say, conservation projects would be quite impractical.
Baldimo

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 11:03 am
@hightor,
Quote:
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs

Spoken like a true Marxist... these were not the founding principles of the US.

Quote:
We tend to skim over the first clause, but I see nothing wrong in creating jobs for those who can work but can't find employment.

Which clause is that and which Amendment does it belong to?

Quote:
The free market isn't particularly interested, however, and the idea of government, on any level, expecting people to work and providing them with meaningful employment has gone out of fashion.

That isn't the case, a business can't just create work for people without having something to back the expense of the work. Govt tries to do this and it does it horribly, remember all those "shovel ready jobs" Obama talked about?

hightor

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 11:16 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
...these were not the founding principles of the US.

Obviously — they were coined a hundred years after the Constitution was written.
Quote:
Govt tries to do this and it does it horribly, remember all those "shovel ready jobs" Obama talked about?

The WPA and the CCC were, however, quite effective.