monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 09:25 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Nonsense it is a crime to attack a ship that is clearly mark, killing it crew by so doing while it sail in international waters.

That is incorrect. Collateral damage is not a crime.

BillRM wrote:
That is not and never will be collateral damage.

That is incorrect. When you mistakenly attack a non-enemy target believing that it is the enemy, that is collateral damage.

BillRM wrote:
It is a damn shame that we did not cut off all war fighting supplies to them until the men who had order the attack on a US ship in international water was turn over to us.

That sounds like a great way to drive the Israelis into Soviet arms and deprive the US of a major ally.

BillRM wrote:
Collateral damage indeed.........

Yes. When you mistakenly attack a non-enemy target, that is collateral damage.
glitterbag

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 10:59 pm
@oralloy,
Dear Heart, in what world do you think Russia wants Jews or Israelies? The Jews have been treated in an inhuman fashion for YEARS.....Look up Pogroms in Wikipedia (your sole source of info because you are lazy or incurious). The Russians are happy to pick the brains of scientists, but that's about it...they truly have no respect for Jews, I don't understand it...they are happy to loot the intellect, the wealth...but after that they still think they (the Russians) are masters of the universe. Do you think the Russians consider you worth keeping?
snood

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 06:07 am
@blatham,
Damn, that Kilgore piece is stark.

Any democrat who isn’t at least a little conflicted over the question of impeaching the orange pestilence just hasn’t thought about it hard enough IMO.
blatham

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 06:11 am
@snood,
Quote:
Any democrat who isn’t at least a little conflicted over the question of impeaching the orange pestilence just hasn’t thought about it hard enough IMO.
Yes. There are times like this where I consider that God's decision to flood the whole bloody place was quite understandable.
hightor

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 08:28 am
@blatham,
I was struck by this in the Kilgore piece:
Brian Beutler wrote:
That might or might not be the safest political course of action for the party, but it will establish a new precedent in our country that presidents can make themselves untouchable, to the law and to Congress, if only they’re willing to be as selfish and malevolent as Trump.

Presidents absolutely can make themselves untouchable if their party controls one house of congress, in this case, the Senate, and his party decides to unite behind him. This has always been the case, it's just that no one has ever been as selfish and malevolent as Trump. So why make the attempt to remove him and fail? That makes him look invincible and his enemies laughable.

I don't believe the obstruction charges are serious enough to rally the masses. Obstructing the investigation of a potential crime which wasn't committed will be seen as a rather minor transgression, about on the level of lying about sex. If investigations continue however, out of the spotlight, and evidence of serious wrongdoing is uncovered (those tax returns), the steady drip drop of new revelations along with a declining economy, more gaffes, a few scandals, and maybe a natural disaster or two, it's just possible that the voters decide they've had enough. But don't count on it. Look what the country's put up with so far.
blatham

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 10:57 am
@hightor,
Quote:
it's just possible that the voters decide they've had enough. But don't count on it. Look what the country's put up with so far.

I like Beutler a lot. In this instance, he has been perhaps the most consistent voice (among political writers) in pushing for action based on a strong moral argument and it's impossible not to sympathize with that.

But Ed Kilgore has been equally consistent in a more tempered and, in my view, prudent take on the matter. No one I read had a proper conception of what Trump would get up to in these three years and no one correctly predicted how morally unhinged the GOP and the right would become. I have great difficulty now imagining some acts or statements from Trump that would significantly change his relationship with his party and voters. Anything to "own the libs" is now, axiomatically, proper (if not mandatory). America could survive four years but not eight, particularly in the scenario you reasonably propose.

None of this would be the case had the national media remained as it was previously. But with the right wing base now so isolated within a viciously deceitful propaganda universe, all prior models and assumptions have to be dropped or very seriously reconsidered.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 11:12 am
Quote:
Pelosi. Clinton. Obama. Now ‘The Squad’ Is the New Target for the Right.
After barely eight months in office, Representatives Ayanna S. Pressley, Ilhan Omar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Rashida Tlaib have reached a level of notoriety unheard-of for freshmen House members, thanks to conservative crossfire.
NYT

The right is not very good about promoting (in any honest manner) their good works accomplished. No mystery in that. If "government is the problem" that leaves little to brag about when they are governing.

Their expertise (and their passion) is based on attacking and demeaning and insinuating. And all of that is most effectively done when some face is identified as a symbolic (but personal) representation of their enemy (eg a potential electoral threat) and when that story is spread and solidified through broad exposure and constant repetition.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 11:27 am
Quote:
Trump’s attack on Cummings is reminiscent of his recent racist attacks on four minority congresswomen who he said should “go back” to the “crime infested” places they were originally from and fix them before trying to improve America. All four women are U.S. citizens, and only one was born abroad.

In a series of three tweets, Trump wrote:

Quote:
“Rep, Elijah Cummings has been a brutal bully, shouting and screaming at the great men & women of Border Patrol about conditions at the Southern Border, when actually his Baltimore district is FAR WORSE and more dangerous. His district is considered the Worst in the USA......

....As proven last week during a congressional tour, the Border is clean, efficient & well run, just very crowded. Cumming District is a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess. If he spent more time in Baltimore, maybe he could help clean up this very dangerous & filthy place.

Why is so much money sent to the Elijah Cummings district when it is considered the worst run and most dangerous anywhere in the United States. No human being would want to live there. Where is all this money going? How much is stolen? Investigate this corrupt mess immediately!”
WP
glitterbag

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 11:34 am
@blatham,
Trump is a disgusting sucking chest wound.
hightor

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 11:55 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Trump is a disgusting sucking chest wound.

As is aptly illustrated here.

As Slimebaugh always says, "You can't make this stuff up."
glitterbag

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 12:14 pm
@hightor,
That exchange was a remarkable display of his utter disinterest in humanity. I don't think I've ever seen such an empty vessel. In our personal lives we can usually distance ourselves from such toxic individuals, but this lump of blubber is the president and he holds us hostage by tweeting every god damned thing that passes though that fetid swamp of a brain.

It might take decades to repair the damage he has done to this country. Unfortunately Americans aren't very patient, we will expect the next president to fix everything with a wave of a magic wand. Trump and the Russians have unsettled our faith in Government and in our leaders.....he should be ashamed of himself.....but that cretin knows no shame, his desire for constant attention is a bottomless pit of desperate need. We are having the life blood sucked out of us by this festering parasite.

Other than that, how have you been?
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 12:28 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
If investigations continue however, out of the spotlight, and evidence of serious wrongdoing is uncovered (those tax returns), the steady drip drop of new revelations along with a declining economy, more gaffes, a few scandals, and maybe a natural disaster or two, it's just possible that the voters decide they've had enough.

Outlawing the Democratic Party will put an end to their witch hunts against people who disagree with them.
MontereyJack

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 03:42 pm
@oralloy,
As mueller said no witch hunt. Trump has surrounded himself with sleazoids. You have a profoundly silly fantasy. Dems will never be outlawed. There are mote of us than you. Kustmakes you look simple minded.

oralloy

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 04:14 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
As mueller said no witch hunt.

When Democrats abuse the law to harm people that they disagree with, that is very much a witch hunt.

The fact that Mueller spouts outright falsehoods like this is one more reason not to listen to anything that he says.

MontereyJack wrote:
You have a profoundly silly fantasy. Dems will never be outlawed. There are mote of us than you.

All it takes is an act of legislation.

MontereyJack wrote:
Kust makes you look simple minded.

You can always identify the left by the low quality of their arguments.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 05:17 pm
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/michael-moore-trump-biden

Michael Moore, who got it right in 2016, says Biden can’t beat Trump.

Guess who *can*...
Real Music

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 07:32 pm

Click on this link to see this 3 minute heartfelt video of CNN anchor defending his hometown of Baltimore after Trump attack.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cnn-anchor-victor-blackwell-trump-baltimore_n_5d3c744ae4b0ef792e0ce272
0 Replies

Builder

Sun 28 Jul, 2019 02:29 am
@Lash,
Do the dems even have a cohesive team after the Clinton decimation?

The fact that creepy Joe is even considered tells me nope.
hightor

Sun 28 Jul, 2019 02:58 am
Spare Me the Purity Racket

Quote:
After I interviewed Nancy Pelosi a few weeks ago, The HuffPost huffed that we were Dreaded Elites because we were eating chocolates and — horror of horrors — the speaker had on some good pumps.

Then this week, lefty Twitter erected a digital guillotine because I had a book party for my friend Carl Hulse, The Times’s authority on Capitol Hill for decades, attended by family, journalists, Hill denizens and a smattering of lawmakers, including Pelosi, Chuck Schumer and Susan Collins.

I, the daughter of a D.C. cop, and Carl, the son of an Illinois plumber, were hilariously painted as decadent aristocrats reveling like Marie Antoinette when we should have been knitting like Madame Defarge.

Yo, proletariat: If the Democratic Party is going to be against chocolate, high heels, parties and fun, you’ve lost me. And I’ve got some bad news for you about 2020.

The progressives are the modern Puritans. The Massachusetts Bay Colony is alive and well on the Potomac and Twitter.

They eviscerate their natural allies for not being pure enough while placing all their hopes in a color-inside-the-lines lifelong Republican prosecutor appointed by Ronald Reagan.

The politics of purism makes people stupid. And nasty.

My father stayed up all night the night Truman was elected because he was so excited. I would like to stay up ’til dawn the night a Democrat wins next year because I’m so excited to see the moment when the despicable Donald Trump lumbers into a Marine helicopter and flies away for good.

But Democrats are making that dream ever more distant because they are using their time knifing one another and those who want to be on their side instead of playing it smart.

House Democrats forced Robert Mueller to testify, after he made it clear that he was spent and had nothing to add to his damning yet damnably legalistic, double-negative report, because they were hoping the hearings would jump-start howls for impeachment.

But it’s hard to get the mad blood stirring with Muellerisms like “This is outside my purview,” “I can’t get into that,” “I don’t subscribe necessarily to your — the way you analyze that,” and “I’m not going to go into the ins and outs.”

I never want to hear about the “O.L.C. opinion” again.

The Republicans were impressively craven and hypocritical. They are sticking with Trump, and no pallid reminder of his turpitude, his trellis of obstructions and his unpatriotic embrace of foreign interference in our elections, will change that.

The always blockheaded Louie Gohmert shouldn’t even be allowed to hold the coat of Mueller, a war hero and respected public official. But Gohmert yelled such crazy stuff at the former special counsel that he appeared to be auditioning for a spot on Fox News’s “The Five.”

The hearings were shameful for Republicans thirsting for re-election and a failure for Democrats thirsting for impeachment. It was many underwhelming hours of members of Congress reading to Mueller and Mueller saying, Yes, that’s what I wrote. Or at least what somebody wrote.

The recipe for emotional satisfaction on the part of the progressive left is not a recipe for removing Trump from the White House.

The argument about whether Trump is impeachable is the wrong argument. Mueller settled that. We know Trump did things worthy of impeachment. That is not the question we should be asking. The question is: Should he be impeached?

The progressive Puritans think we must honor the Constitution and go for it because it’s the right thing to do.

You can argue that impeachment, morally and constitutionally, is the right thing to do. But you also have to recognize that, historically and politically, it is not the right thing to do because it will lead to disaster.

The attempt to impeach Trump is one of the rare cases in which something obviously justified is obviously stupid.

Unbelievably, Pelosi — long a G.O.P. target for her unalloyed liberalism — is derided by the far left for her pragmatism. But she has been through enough Washington wars to know that idealism, untempered by realism, is dangerous.

An impeachment could return Trump to power. The highchair king from Fifth Avenue would exult in his victimhood and energize his always-ready-to-be aggrieved followers.

It could also lead to Democrats losing the House as their moderates fall and help Republicans hold the Senate. No Republicans would vote for impeaching Trump and some Democrats might refuse as well. Even if the House acted, Mitch McConnell would smother it in the Senate, just like he did Merrick Garland.

It’s better to pull out Trump by the roots in the election and firmly repudiate him. The Democrats should focus on the future, not the benighted past that we have been relegated to under Trump.

Hillary Clinton’s campaign focused on what a terrible person Trump is. It turned out that enough voters knew that and didn’t care. They wanted a racist Rottweiler.

Now the Democrats are once more focused on what a terrible person Trump is. Message received, many times over.

The progressives’ cry that they don’t care about the political consequences because they have a higher cause is just a purity racket.

Their mantra is like that of Ferdinand I, the Holy Roman Emperor: “Fiat iustitia, et pereat mundus.” “Let justice be done, though the world perish.”

The rest of us more imperfect beings don’t want the world to perish. And maybe justice can be done, without losing the White House, the House, chocolate, high heels, parties and fun.

nyt/dowd
hightor

Sun 28 Jul, 2019 03:12 am
China approves wheat, soy imports from Russia

Quote:
China has approved wheat imports from the Russian region of Kurgan, the Chinese customs office said on Friday, bringing Russia a step closer to its goal of dramatically increasing grain exports.

It also approved soybean imports from all parts of Russia, the General Administration of Customs said in a separate statement on its website, having all but halted U.S. soy imports as the trade dispute between Beijing and Washington deepened.

China was the top buyer of U.S. soybeans until Beijing slapped a 25% tariff on shipments last year in response to U.S. tariffs on a range of Chinese products.

reuters
Builder

Sun 28 Jul, 2019 03:24 am
@hightor,
Russia is farming without glyphosate.

They will take market share this way