monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 06:40 am
@RABEL222,
Sorry. I did vote you up.

I know you're not all like Oralloy, if you were there wouldn't be a functioning government.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 07:00 am
If you haven't read this yet, do. Another example of how authoritarians operate.
Quote:
Inside Liberty University’s ‘culture of fear’
How Jerry Falwell Jr. silences students and professors who reject his pro-Trump politics.
WP

0 Replies

hightor

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 07:26 am

What was behind 'vote switching' in the 2016 election?

Study pinpoints concerns about race and immigration — not economic ones — as likely determinants of vote switching
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 07:59 am
@blatham,
Quote:

I was/am really disgusted by much of the media coverage of the Mueller hearing...

Yup. I think the committee leaders let the media develop and carry a misleading narrative, something along the lines of "if this doesn't sink the Trump presidency, nothing will" and then painting the Democrats as "disappointed" while Trump gets to gloat. I think the committees could have done a better job explaining what they hoped to accomplish beforehand. Mueller's a genius, though — I think he may have slowed up the calls for immediately beginning the impeachment process. (Which I believe to be a good thing.)
oralloy

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 08:57 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
They didn't sail into a war zone

Yes they did.

glitterbag wrote:
you know-nothing slacker,

You can always identify the left by the low quality of their arguments.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg

glitterbag wrote:
it was a ground war and the Israelis knew we were there.....Since our wonderful partner didn't want us to know what was up, and since they knew we would report back to DC, they decided a better action was to kill American sailors. Yes, the country you think we would side with even if they attacked a US territory made the decision to obliterate American sailors instead of warning the US or the ships.

Wrong again. There was nothing worth keeping a secret from us even if we didn't already know it.

Israel attacked because they thought that it was an Egyptian ship that had just shelled Israeli positions.

glitterbag wrote:
Those who care about the US military would not just shrug their shoulders,

Yes we would.

Although maybe we would also point out how dumb the US Navy was to send the Liberty into a war zone.

glitterbag wrote:
but some people have never read a history book, or done any research.

Your inability to point out anything that I am wrong about speaks for itself.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 09:21 am
@hightor,
Agree on Mueller. But I thought the senior Dems had tried to temper hopes of anything very dramatic coming from the testimony (as did the better political journalists). But as we know, the media's zest for drama is unquenchable as is their unhappiness when drama is not forthcoming. Chuck Todd was one idiot in this story.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 09:59 am
Quote:
Tom Nichols, a national security professor at the Naval War College, expressed related concerns in a USA Today op-ed yesterday. Reflecting on Mueller’s testimony, Nichols wrote, “The Republicans once prided themselves on being the toughest opponents of America’s enemies. They have now been reduced to inane babbling about conspiracy theories, excusing the Russians, whitewashing the hostile foreign intelligence service called WikiLeaks, and attacking a man of indisputable honor and probity – a fellow Republican, no less – all in the name of covering Trump’s tracks.”
Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 10:14 am
I have a lot of respect for this lady... but these comments probably have to be seen in light of her respect for the institution and it's best possibilities.
Quote:
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Ginsburg isn’t here to take down her conservative colleagues.

During an event hosted by Duke Law Wednesday in Washington, D.C., Ginsburg had nothing but nice things to say about the more conservative Justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch.

“I can say that my two newest colleagues are very decent and very smart individuals,” Ginsburg said, according to CNN.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/ruth-bader-ginsburg-defends-kavanaugh-gorsuch
0 Replies

Brand X

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 10:37 am
Michael Tracey

Verified account

@mtracey
2m2 minutes ago
More
Nadler sounds like he's publicly calling for impeachment proceedings for the first time. House must "consider whether to exercise its full Article One powers," he says, "including a Constitutional power of the utmost gravity, recommendation of articles of impeachment.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 10:42 am
@oralloy,
It once more was a large large large flag they way flying an unless the pilots of the jets and the torpedo boats crews was blind they knew damn well who they was attacking.

Our friends was willing to knowingly kill Americans sailors at the same time we was shipping them war supplies to aid in the fighting.

Friends indeed..........

oralloy wrote:

BillRM wrote:
I wonder how many of those Americans that always side with Israel know of the attack on a US spy ship flying a very large American flag at the time killing 34 sailors.

All of us.

BillRM wrote:
Israeli like any other nation on earth will do whatever it feel is best for itself including attacking an ally ship so always being on one side or the other in other nations conflicts is stupid in my opinion.

They thought it was an Egyptian ship. It was collateral damage. It was pretty dumb of the US Navy to sail it into a war zone like that.

BillRM wrote:
Also in my opinion there been any numbers of times we not only hurt our self but Israeli by giving them a total free hand instead of lowering the boom when it was call for.

"Lowering the boom" has never been called for. Our friendship with Israel has never harmed either us or Israel.
oralloy

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 11:03 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
It once more was a large large large flag they way flying an unless the pilots of the jets and the torpedo boats crews was blind they knew damn well who they was attacking.

That's just silly. There was no guarantee that the flag would be noticed, and in fact it wasn't noticed.

But even if the flag had actually been noticed, simply because a vessel is flying an American flag, that is no guarantee that it is not an Egyptian warship.

BillRM wrote:
Our friends was willing to knowingly kill Americans sailors

Wrong. Israel did not knowingly kill American sailors.

BillRM wrote:
at the same time we was shipping them war supplies to aid in the fighting.
Friends indeed..........

Yes. Israel is a good friend.
Brand X

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 11:11 am
Manu Raju

Verified account

@mkraju
Follow Follow @mkraju
More
Just asked Nadler if what they’re doing now is the same thing as an impeachment inquiry, and he said: “In effect.” And then he said the distinction is that impeachment inquiry is just about impeachment. His probe is a bit broader but could lead to recommendation of impeachment
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 11:21 am
@BillRM,
You know why the Liberty was attacked? It was because it was witnessing Israeli war crimes.
MontereyJack

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 11:37 am
Latest Fox News poll shows Biden beating Trump by ten points. You go, Sleepy Joe, trump Treasonous Trump.
MontereyJack

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 12:07 pm
@MontereyJack,
cmae out 7/25 https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-knocks-fox-news-after-poll-shows-him-losing-to-biden-by-10-points/ar-AAEU91o?ocid=spartandhp
BillRM

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 01:06 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You know why the Liberty was attacked? It was because it was witnessing Israeli war crimes.

No I do not think that was the reason at all but Israeli fearing if we knew how well they was then doing in the 7 day war we would had pressure them to stop just like we had pressure them and the Europeans including the UK a few years before to give back the Suez canal.
BillRM

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 01:10 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

BillRM wrote:

That's just silly. There was no guarantee that the flag would be noticed, and in fact it wasn't noticed.

But even if the flag had actually been noticed, simply because a vessel is flying an American flag, that is no guarantee that it is not an Egyptian warship.

BillRM wrote:
Our friends was willing to knowingly kill Americans sailors

Wrong. Israel did not knowingly kill American sailors.

BillRM wrote:
at the same time we was shipping them war supplies to aid in the fighting.
Friends indeed..........

Yes. Israel is a good friend.

Of course the pilots and the boats crews was both blind and unless you are sure of who the target is you do not attack a ship in international waters just in case it might be hostile to you an flying a false flag.
izzythepush

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 01:12 pm
@BillRM,
You just can't help yourself can you? Suez was wrong, but it was nothing next to the shitstorm that happened in Vietnam.
hightor

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 01:25 pm
(Snood posted a link to the Mayer piece earlier in the week.)

The Al Franken Case

It’s a difficult one. But Democrats got it wrong.

Quote:
Did Al Franken’s fellow Senate Democrats judge him too quickly and harshly?

Jane Mayer has written a deeply reported piece in the current New Yorker arguing strongly (if implicitly) that the answer is yes. And the case against Franken — for sexual harassment — looks weaker once Mayer has finished examining it. Still, this isn’t an easy case to evaluate, and I encourage you to read the piece.

Here were my main takeaways:

Franken’s original accuser, Leeann Tweeden, is not very credible. She has told demonstrable falsehoods and as a conservative radio host and friend of Sean Hannity’s, she had a political motive for damaging Franken. This much is clear: Franken and Tweeden appeared in a ribald skit together, and Franken posed in an inappropriate picture referring to the skit. Many of the other things Tweeden has said about the tour, including her description of the skit, don’t seem to be true.

Franken had a pattern of touching women in ways that made them feel uncomfortable (such as kissing them on the mouth as a social greeting). Not all the allegations are clear cut. Taken together, though, they suggest that Franken behaved inappropriately.

The Senate shouldn’t have rushed to judgment. Mayer quotes seven different Democrats in the Senate at the time who now regret pushing for Franken’s resignation. And I agree: The fair response would have been a hearing — without delay — to air the allegations against him, as both he and Tweeden favored. A hearing could have helped clarify whether his behavior was merely inappropriate or closer to predatory. Either way, he may have had to resign, because serving in Congress is a privilege not a right, but the complexities of his case would have come out much sooner.

Wherever you stand on his case, I think it is worth thinking through. As the country finally begins to grapple with sexual harassment in a serious way, there are no doubt going to be other hard cases, too.

Michael Tomasky, The Daily Beast: “Democrats did not only him but themselves and liberal values serious harm by forcing Franken out without him getting his due process, and this is all going to come back on them, and those values, and quite possibly the #MeToo movement, in ways we can’t really anticipate.”

“Due process exists in criminal proceedings precisely because the stakes are so high,” the lawyer Jill Filipovic writes for CNN. “We must also insist on a fair process when leveraging social and professional, but not criminal, penalties.”

Lili Loofbourow acknowledges the holes Mayer pokes in Tweeden’s story but voices skepticism of Franken’s claims of having been “oblivious” to his conduct. “A consummate politician and performer with an ax to grind has done a formidable job of coming across as a clownish but well-meaning oaf,” she writes in Slate. “The question is: Should we buy the portrayal?”

None of Franken’s other accusers “are right-wing operatives,” Amanda Marcotte says. “Most of them are clearly involved in Democratic politics and seem to have nothing to gain from lying about Franken,” she writes in Salon. “While a couple of the stories are relatively minor, several — such as the allegations of groping and the allegation of a proposition — are clear-cut examples of sexual harassment of the sort that Mayer has, in the past, put her talents toward exposing.”

Vox’s Matthew Yglesias argues that Franken did the right thing, morally and politically, by resigning, and has tarnished that decision by expressing regrets: “Insisting that he is the real victim in all this becomes the opposite of atonement and ultimately makes the public rehabilitation he clearly craves impossible.”

And Mayer discussed the article on “Fresh Air,” with Terry Gross.

nyt/leonhardt
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 01:29 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You just can't help yourself can you? Suez was wrong, but it was nothing next to the shitstorm that happened in Vietnam.

I am sorry if you do not like my theory for the attack on an American flag vessel but once more I never hear in the 7 days war war crimes by either sides other then the attack on our ship.

Suez seized was wrong? Not sure I agree with your opinion if that is your opinion but at the very least both Israel and the Europeans should had run the idea pass President Eisenhower first.