monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hawkeye10

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 07:35 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

You answered a simple question with a nonsensical, non sequitur rant. I’m not the one with comprehension problems. Here ya go - back on ignore.

I am shocked of course, your ignorance does not happen by chance, it is willful....your extensive lack of willingness to either listen or follow the thoughts of others is a big part of that.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 10:59 pm
@snood,
That's what I'm doing too, in spite of your frequent objection...
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:30 pm
-------------radio silence-------------sweet
Walter Hinteler

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:36 pm
@glitterbag,
My ears are still ringing from the screaming in Greenville.
hawkeye10

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:40 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Have you perhaps noticed how German Green Energy has worked out exactly as I said it would?

Likely not given how slow you are.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
I have no idea what that has to do with sending someone back.

We only have about 50% renewable energy, not enough, if that's what you said.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:48 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

We have cousins in Greenville.....what a shitshow
RABEL222

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's rich coming from a person who is about 1 quarter as intelligent as the person he is texting.
hawkeye10

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:50 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

We have cousins in Greenville.....what a shitshow
On the other hand look at how America and in fact all of the West is failing under present leadership, which includes watching how much the people are suffering!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:51 pm
@RABEL222,
Forgive them father, for they are dim-witted
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:52 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

That's rich coming from a person who is about 1 quarter as intelligent as the person he is texting.

As if you are smart enough to figure out the lay of the land!
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 18 Jul, 2019 04:14 am
@glitterbag,
Exactly. The analog for Trump is the dictator. The ugly version of the thing. His vengeful nature, his constant attempts to demean and punish, his maneuvers to block or destroy institutional curbs on how he wishes to rule, his attacks on any who speak out against him are all designed to make others fearful of him. His behaviors and goals are far, far closer to Stalin than to Lincoln.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 18 Jul, 2019 04:16 am
@snood,
Wow. That's an honest piece of writing.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 18 Jul, 2019 04:17 am
@glitterbag,
I'm not at all surprised we had the same "wow" response.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 18 Jul, 2019 04:25 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Why are you always so dense. Start your own thread about Hating America or Freedom or whatever floats your boat.....and stop whining for Christ's sake, its unbecoming.

I would love to see what you've been brainwashed into believing her "career criminal activity" actually is....we can all get a good laugh. Just print it all out on a paper towel, then roll it up tightly and then shove it way up where the sun don't shine.

At least that way his writing would have a receptive audience.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 18 Jul, 2019 04:31 am
If you want to keep hanging around here slinging your folksy charm, you’d best reel it in some. I just reported your “bitch” “morons” ad hominem.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 18 Jul, 2019 04:43 am
@hightor,
Quote:
The form of our political culture is corrupted and debased by using a platform so intimately connected with the culture industry — taste-making and money-making.
It's a fair point. But I'm not sure how it might be otherwise. Political discourse will inevitably move onto those media platforms which people attend to and those popular platforms will, by definition, contain a lot of other cultural content (celebrities, cute puppies, conflict, sex, ads for lingerie, status of the war with Oceania). I'm too young (there's a phrase I haven't used in a long while) to accurately recall the pre-TV world but newspapers, news magazines, newsreel footage in theaters would surely have operated within the same (or very similar) financial and social incentives.
blatham

Thu 18 Jul, 2019 04:46 am
@snood,
Quote:
An honest assessment of the widespread shock on the morning of November 9, 2016 would tell you that Hillary Clinton wasn’t the exception in “not seeing Trump coming”.
Undeniably true. As Trump himself briefly admitted, he told his wife he wasn't going to win.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Thu 18 Jul, 2019 04:48 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
The form of our political culture is corrupted and debased by using a platform so intimately connected with the culture industry — taste-making and money-making.
It's a fair point. But I'm not sure how it might be otherwise. Political discourse will inevitably move onto those media platforms which people attend to and those popular platforms will, by definition, contain a lot of other cultural content (celebrities, cute puppies, conflict, sex, ads for lingerie, status of the war with Oceania). I'm too young (there's a phrase I haven't used in a long while) to accurately recall the pre-TV world but newspapers, news magazines, newsreel footage in theaters would surely have operated within the same (or very similar) financial and social incentives.

The culture infects or invigorates all, and when it infects such as now then it degrades and when it invigorates then culture advances... but how few of these MODERN MORONS know of anything smelling anything at all to have to do with advanced civilization?

These retrogrades that lecture us on what is right and proper are the most ignorant fucks that anyone has seen in so many generations!
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 18 Jul, 2019 05:06 am
@snood,
Quote:
I’ve followed Maddow since she was an up and coming radio broadcaster on Air America. I’ve seen the change in her content and delivery and I think you’re right that it’s the taint of 24-hour-cable-news-Hollywood-hucksterism.
That was my introduction to her as well. Then, as I recall, Keith Olbermann (or someone in his booking staff) began to bring her into that show which led finally to her own position as host.

But again I'll argue that her (or anyone's) place in the modern 24 hour news platforms is not necessarily degraded simply as a function of provenance. Or, perhaps more accurately, her or anyone's placement there can surmount the inherent degradations. Would US political discourse be more aided or more damaged if she removed herself from this platform? I think there's a very clearly evident answer to that question.

Another relevant aspect - I had a wonderful and very bright prof out of Oxford who subsequently became the Dean of Education at my alma mater. In a course on 5th Century BC Athens, he remarked on day, "You probably notice that I commonly repeat things I've already told you. I do that because the study of pedagogy shows very clearly that repetition facilitates data retention and learning."

My point here is that there are necessary formalities of presentation which can appear to be silly or cliched or superficial but which are more valuably understood as profitable devices in gaining/maintaining an audience, devices which if absent will damage one's reach into the world. And I suppose we should acknowledge Maddow's successes in audience capture along with her maintenance of a very high level of reportorial integrity.