monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Sat 15 Jun, 2019 03:46 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Is not your suggested two term winner Jeb.

No. My suggested two term winner is whoever the Republicans nominate.

MontereyJack wrote:
You blew it.

That is incorrect. The Republican nominee won just as I predicted.

MontereyJack wrote:
Considering trump lost the actual vote in 16,

In the real world, Trump won the election.

MontereyJack wrote:
and half the country has consistently said they definitely will not vote for him in 2020, with a considerably smaller fraction saying they definitely will and his internal polling suggesting he'll lose, your prediction is solely based on your wishes only, not probabilities.

That is incorrect. My prediction is not based on wishes.
MontereyJack

Sat 15 Jun, 2019 04:23 pm
@oralloy,
Since you're fixated on imaginary 20 year periods, keep in minde=d that the Democrats have now gotten the most votes three times in a row. It was only the Founders' poison pill the electoral college, which foisted Trump on us. The actual vote went sginsr him as it did twice before him for Obama, which means by your imaginary 20 years, the Democrats are going to win 2020 and 2024 before the Republicans have a hope of getting into the White House for real. It's solely your fixation, live with it.
oralloy

Sat 15 Jun, 2019 05:05 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
imaginary 20 year periods

Hardly imaginary. Thomas Jefferson. Abraham Lincoln. FDR. And now Donald Trump.

MontereyJack wrote:
the Founders' poison pill the electoral college

Only leftists could refer to our Constitution as a poison pill.

MontereyJack wrote:
It's solely your fixation, live with it.

Don't be silly. I've never claimed that anyone else but me was making this prediction.

Don't forget to check in on election day 2032 so we can all celebrate the Republicans winning the White House for the fifth time in a row.
coldjoint

Sat 15 Jun, 2019 05:29 pm
Quote:
House Dems Go Back to Doing Nothing, Will Discuss Reparations

So the black man cannot go any farther than what a white person will give him? That is not saying much for Blacks. More and more are going to figure it out. It is an insult in many ways. Again, a direct **** on the character of blacks and other citizens. Social justice is not justice.
https://www.independentsentinel.com/house-dems-go-back-to-doing-nothing-will-discuss-reparations/
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sat 15 Jun, 2019 05:35 pm
@oralloy,
it's the electoral college that has proen to be the poison pill by the pernicious effect it has had every time it chose a president. Like slavery and it's 3/5 of a person or Senators chosen by state legislatures, it's had some things that didn''t work written out of it. Time to do the same with the ec, which is why the National Popular Vote Compact is gaining ground/
izzythepush

Sat 15 Jun, 2019 05:37 pm
Quote:
Yemen's rebel Houthi movement has launched drones at a Saudi airport, the second such attack in two days.

Five drones targeted Abha airport and the nearby city of Khamis Mushait, Saudi officials said in a statement.

No casualties were reported and Abha airport was said to be running normally without any disruption to flights. An attack on Abha on Wednesday injured 26 people.

Yemen has faced consistent bombing by coalition forces since March 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-48632420
MontereyJack

Sat 15 Jun, 2019 05:40 pm
@oralloy,
Since the Dems have won the last three prez votes and 2018, since trump engenders deep disgust in the majority of the electorate, since he's lost in head to head matchups in the polls with something on the order of seven Dems now I don't think we'll have to wait til 2032 to see the Repubs firmly in the minority.
coldjoint

Sat 15 Jun, 2019 05:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Yemen has faced consistent bombing by coalition forces since March 2015.

Isn't that part of war? I bet "they" do not know you won't allow that. That BBC is right on the ball.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sat 15 Jun, 2019 05:46 pm
@oralloy,
You may have noticed Trump lost the vote in 2016 and is extremely unpppopular with the majority. Claiming twenty years for him when his pro It was the purely political electoral college which has been the poison pil.. It was the founding fathers being blatantly poiticalspects beypnd four don't loo good requires an inordinate degree of chutzpah. And once again you neglect the fact that most of the periods if you can even call them that were 4 or 8 years, not 20. The electoral college was the founding fathers being blatantly political and isn't worthy of them, which is why people have been pissed about it for two hundred years, andwhy the
Walter Hinteler

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 12:18 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/69ZyvBp.jpg

Quote:
But in a public appearance on Tuesday, President Trump’s national security adviser, John R. Bolton, said the United States was now taking a broader view of potential digital targets as part of an effort “to say to Russia, or anybody else that’s engaged in cyberoperations against us, ‘You will pay a price.’”
NYT
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 05:53 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
it's the electoral college that has proen to be the poison pill by the pernicious effect it has had every time it chose a president.

Democracy is hardly a poison pill.

MontereyJack wrote:
Like slavery and it's 3/5 of a person

The 3/5 compromise is the only thing that allowed slavery to be ended.

MontereyJack wrote:
or Senators chosen by state legislatures, it's had some things that didn''t work written out of it.

Having Senators chosen by state governments worked perfectly. It gave state governments a voice in the federal government.

This is one more example of leftists acting to destroy our society.

MontereyJack wrote:
Time to do the same with the ec, which is why the National Popular Vote Compact is gaining ground

No. It is not time to let the left wipe out democracy in America.

Michigan's electoral votes are going to be decided by voters in Michigan, not by voters in Los Angeles and New York City.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 05:55 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Since the Dems have won the last three prez votes and 2018,

The Democrats lost the White House in 2016.

As I recall, the Republicans picked up seats in the Senate in 2018.

MontereyJack wrote:
I don't think we'll have to wait til 2032 to see the Repubs firmly in the minority.

Check back with me after election day 2032 and let's see how things look then.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 05:59 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
You may have noticed Trump lost the vote in 2016

I stick to reality, where Trump won the election.

MontereyJack wrote:
and is extremely unpppopular with the majority. Claiming twenty years for him when his prospects beyond four don't loo good requires an inordinate degree of chutzpah. And once again you neglect the fact that most of the periods if you can even call them that were 4 or 8 years, not 20.

It's my prediction. I can predict whatever I want to predict.

If you don't like it, go make your own prediction.

My chutzpah is quite appropriate. I may or may not be right, but I'm better than average at predicting things.

MontereyJack wrote:
It was the purely political electoral college which has been the poison pil.. It was the founding fathers being blatantly poitical

How dare our Founding Fathers set things up so that leftists can't disregard the voters.

MontereyJack wrote:
The electoral college was the founding fathers being blatantly political and isn't worthy of them, which is why people have been pissed about it for two hundred years

People aren't pissed about it. They are happy that our democracy is protected from the left.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 06:01 am
Quote:
India has said that, from Sunday, it will impose tariffs on 28 US products, including almonds and apples.

The new duties, some as high as 70%, are in response to Washington's refusal to exempt Delhi from higher taxes on steel and aluminium imports.

Earlier this month, US President Trump also announced the US was withdrawing India's preferential trade treatment.

Tariffs of up to 120% were announced by India in June last year, but trade talks had delayed their implementation.

In an announcement on Friday, India's Ministry of Finance said the decision was in the "public interest".

An earlier list had also listed a 29th item - artemia, a type of shrimp - but this was removed.

US-India bilateral trade was worth $142bn (£111bn) in 2018, a sevenfold increase since 2001, according to US figures.

But $5.6n worth of Indian exports - previously duty-free in the US - will be hit now the country has lost preferential treatment under America's Generalized System of Preferences (GSP).

The move is the latest push by the Trump administration to redress what it considers to be unfair trading relationships with other countries.

Tensions have since been rising between the two countries. Last year, India retaliated against US tariff hikes on aluminium and steel by raising its own import duties on a range of goods.

President Trump has also threatened to impose sanctions if India purchases oil from Iran and if it goes ahead with plans to buy Russian S-400 anti-aircraft missiles.

The latest tariffs from India come just days before country's Foreign Minister, Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, is due to meet his US counterpart, Mike Pompeo, at a G20 summit in Japan. Mr Trump and India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi are also expected to hold talks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-48650505
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 06:07 am
A Down and Dirty White House

Quote:
WASHINGTON — It is very disorienting when those who are supposed to be our highest moral exemplars have no morals — not even of the alley-cat variety.

During the sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church, it was stunning to see wide swaths of clergymen, responsible for teaching children right from wrong, perverting right and wrong.

Now it is shocking to see an American president with a twisted sense of right and wrong. In yet another Nureyev leap into the absurd, Donald Trump went from no-collusion to pro-collusion, as Susan Glasser put it in The New Yorker, saying that he would welcome foreign governments’ peddling dirt on his political rivals. Why bother to alert the F.B.I. if you are getting good oppo?

I have seen a lot of politicians lie — even ones I swore never would. I have watched other Republican leaders play on white fears and choke off checks and balances. It’s tough to match Dick Cheney for putting yourself above the law.

When I covered Bush 41, Bush loyalists were looking overseas for dirt on Bill Clinton during the 1992 race. There were unfounded rumors that, while he was a Rhodes scholar at Oxford, Clinton had written a letter about renouncing his citizenship to protest the Vietnam war.

As Michael Isikoff and Eugene Robinson wrote in The Washington Post in October 1992: “A senior State Department official this month ordered the U.S. Embassy in London to conduct an ‘extremely thorough’ search for files on Bill Clinton’s years as a graduate student in England, including any documents relating to the Democratic presidential candidate’s draft status and citizenship, according to department officials.” The instructions came at a time when Republicans were escalating their attacks on Clinton’s draft history.

Around the same time, the Britons went on their own fishing expedition for Clinton’s files. Betsey Wright, a former Clinton campaign official, told reporters that the campaign had received reports that Republicans had approached Tories for help in rifling through files to find damaging information on Clinton.

James Baker, Bush’s chief of staff, was so anguished about “that awful little passport pimple,” as the president called the scandal, that he offered to resign.

Such shame seems quaint in Trumpworld. The president is an unabashed gargoyle atop the White House, chomping on American values.

The way Trump publicly wallows in his mendaciousness and amorality is unique in presidential history. His motto might as well be: “I cannot not tell a lie.” His ego is too fragile to play patriarch to the country, so he takes the more ruinous role of provocateur.

There’s no vaccination against the vile machinations of Trump. But there are some signs, in this sickened capital, that antibodies are kicking in. The president and his top officials are getting taken to task by a range of government watchdogs.

Ellen Weintraub, the chair of the Federal Election Commission, tweeted on Thursday, “I would not have thought that I needed to say this,” as a preface to her stern statement: “It is illegal for any person to solicit, accept, or receive anything of value from a foreign national in connection with a U.S. election. This is not a novel concept.”

Even craven Republican lawmakers — at long last — were squirming over Trump’s contention to George Stephanopoulos that foreign interference in our election would be swell.

Also on Thursday, Special Counsel Henry Kerner recommended that “repeat offender” Kellyanne Conway be removed from her job for violating the Hatch Act, also known as the Act to Prevent Pernicious Political Activities, which bars federal workers from tainting the workplace with politics.

Kerner said his move was unprecedented, but told The Post: “You know what else is unprecedented? Kellyanne Conway’s behavior. In interview after interview, she uses her official capacity to disparage announced candidates, which is not allowed.” The president, tireless champion of the First Amendment, said Conway was merely exercising her right to free speech.

The Onion chimed in with this headline: “Kellyanne Conway Decides to Lie Low Until Rule of Law Dies Down.”

Trump may have lost his knack for stiletto nicknames. “Sleepy Joe” and “Nervous Nancy” don’t cut it. (Pelosi looked anything but nervous in her “Kill Bill” yellow zippered motorcycle jacket.) And he may be nervous himself because of “devastating” internal polling showing him trailing Joe Biden in key states, as The Times’s Annie Karni and Maggie Haberman wrote. He denied the polls existed but later instructed his campaign to play up different data.

Trump doesn’t want to lose just when he seems to be getting more comfortable with all the power he wields.

He makes it so easy for everyone to focus on the tweets and the maniacal, moronic reality show that you have to struggle to look away and take the measure of what he’s doing.

And what he’s doing is altering domestic and foreign policy in terrible ways while running up huge deficits.

The Trump White House may be a clown show and a criminal enterprise. But it’s also an actual presidency.

It’s turning out to be a genuinely reactionary administration led by a wannabe authoritarian who refuses to recognize constitutional checks on power. The real danger is not the antics but the policies. If Trump isn’t careful, he’s going to add substance to his administration. And it won’t be the kind we want.

nyt/dowd
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 07:03 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
coldjoint wrote:
FreedomEyeLove wrote:
They'll come for you next. Wrong-think will not be allowed. The truth is actively being suppressed.

This is why liberal is a misnomer. Liberals do not exist. No one on the Left is interested in protecting free speech. It does show how weak their arguments are by not allowing other opinions. That is a fact that cannot be denied. Their ideas do not stand up to scrutiny or factual data.

Total bullshit.

Everything that they said looks pretty accurate to me. Let's see you point out any errors in anything that they said.
oralloy

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 07:04 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
roger wrote:
Kind of glad to hear that. I never liked her, but she always looked so sad when she got caught in another lie. I just felt sorry for her.
Trump will probably find someone with more talent in that direction.

Wonder if she quit or was canned. I felt sorry for her too. She was just a hapless warbling omnibus of ick.

My understanding is that Sarah Huckabee Sanders is leaving her post in order to run for governor of Arkansas.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 07:16 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Let's see you point out any errors in anything that they said.

Oh come on...those are just opinions, not verifiable statements of fact. "Liberals do not exist", for instance. That's just plain over-the-top political rhetoric meant to provoke the other side while affirming certain core beliefs shared by one's own tribe. Hell, I know at least three liberals personally — had dinner with two of the last night. They weren't holograms.
oralloy

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 07:26 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Oh come on...those are just opinions, not verifiable statements of fact.

I disagree.

But if they had actually been opinions, MontereyJack would have been wrong to respond as if they were verifiable statements of fact. And I would still be right to challenge him to back up his claim.

hightor wrote:
"Liberals do not exist", for instance. That's just plain over-the-top political rhetoric meant to provoke the other side while affirming certain core beliefs shared by one's own tribe. Hell, I know at least three liberals personally -- had dinner with two of the last night. They weren't holograms.

The point is that liberalism is supposed to stand for various principles. Leftists like to call themselves liberals, but leftists oppose nearly every principle of liberalism.

Therefore it is not proper to call leftists liberals. Leftists should be referred to as leftists.
hightor

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 08:11 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Leftists like to call themselves liberals...

And rightist like to call liberals "leftists". Don't you think it would be more constructive to cease the childish name-calling and blanket denunciations and argue the point on specific cases?