monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Tue 4 Jun, 2019 11:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Again, Trump has performed an abrupt U-turn on his comments that the NHS would be “on the table” in post-Brexit trade talks.
Already late Tuesday night he directly contradicted himself, saying instead that "I don’t see it being on the table".
That was confirmed in this morning's interview on ITV: "That’s not trade."

In the interview he back-peddled on his earlier Corbyn criticism, saying he "certainly would" meet the Labour leader in the future.

And about the Duchess of Sussex (Meghan Markle): "You know what? She’s doing a good job, I hope she enjoys her life… I think she’s very nice."
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 12:23 am
@revelette1,
Take it easy, don't let the bastards get to you.

I'm off to Pompey shortly to fight the good fight and let that pile of crap know its not welcome.
izzythepush

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 12:29 am
This is the main picture on the BBC website. Look at Melania's dead eyes. I see she's given up all pretence of appearing human.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/1875/production/_107216260_mediaitem107216259.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 06:24 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/0nJxWLZ.jpg

Actually, the small number of Trump supporters in the crowd attracted a disproportionate amount of news coverage for their size, largely because of scuffles involving them and rival protesters that broke out along the route.

But there certainly will have been a couple more than the 20 pro-Trump activists locked up by police in a pub for their own safety.
livinglava

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 07:29 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

This is the main picture on the BBC website. Look at Melania's dead eyes. I see she's given up all pretence of appearing human.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/1875/production/_107216260_mediaitem107216259.jpg

In this particular picture, QE seems to be saying something that requires close listening, hence the focused listening of both D and M.

I think, in general, Melania is introspective and thoughtful and she withdraws her emotions in public situations because she is shocked by how cruel and relentless the anti-Trump culture can be.

Of course that is just speculation based on how I would feel in her position.

Does anyone else empathize with the Trumps having to weather so much hate and ridicule in so many different ways all the time?
snood

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 07:37 am
@livinglava,
Anyone who suffers because of their willing connection to this “man” deserves it. Either they are too addled and stupid to know what he is, or they know and support him anyway.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 07:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
We had a similar situation in Portsmouth. While one of the speakers was talking about the sacrifice D Day veterans made, about 20-30 scumbags appeared shouting abuse. Nothing positive about the need to strengthen the ties with America or anything like that. Just a load of abuse.

The police had to put them in a pub poor sods. I spoke to one copper who told me he'd be glad when the day was over, and he was certainly earning his overtime.

The police mingled with us and chatted. Any potential trouble was coming from far right idiots and the police knew that.
coldjoint

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 08:00 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Any potential trouble was coming from far right idiots and the police knew that.

They did not know that, they were told that.
revelette1

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 08:02 am
@izzythepush,
Maybe we'll get to see in images over there if we knew what you looked like. Perhaps if they catch you on camera you can point it out. But very glad you are going to do your duty for the cause to speak.
revelette1

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 08:05 am
Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Trump administration is expected to appear in court on Wednesday to defend itself against claims that its proposed addition of a citizenship question to the 2020 U.S. Census was secretly orchestrated by a political operative seeking to boost Republicans' voting power. 

The hearing in Manhattan federal court is the latest development over the contentious plan to add a citizenship question to the census.

U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman in January said the government could not add the question after immigration groups, including the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee and Make The Road New York, sued to block it.

Two other judges have ruled against the government in similar cases, and the Supreme Court is set to issue a decision by the end of this month on whether the question can be added in time for next year's census.

Reuters
coldjoint

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 08:05 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
do your duty for the cause to speak.

You mean go join a mob of haters. That is a duty?
coldjoint

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 08:09 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
American Anti-Discrimination Committee and Make The Road New York, sued to block it.

Why should we count non-citizens when our representatives are chosen based on population? It is not right, or honest representation then. Why do you support subversion of our Constitution? You hate this country, don't you.
MontereyJack

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 08:10 am
@coldjoint,
Looks like they were told right.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 08:14 am
@coldjoint,
Oh. You mean a group of citizens who strongly disagree with good and sound reason with everything the hater windbag says, don't you.
0 Replies

livinglava

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 08:25 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
American Anti-Discrimination Committee and Make The Road New York, sued to block it.

Why should we count non-citizens when our representatives are chosen based on population? It is not right, or honest representation then. Why do you support subversion of our Constitution? You hate this country, don't you.

This issue is similar to the 3/5ths compromise for slave representation.

Eventually the issue culminated in full representation of (former) slaves, and also their right to vote.

Should non-citizens also eventually gain the right to vote? If not, and counting them results in larger population numbers in some areas than others, is it fair to give votes in those areas more power because more non-citizens are counted there?

It is similar to the issue of giving more political representation to slave states without actually giving slaves the right to vote.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 10:16 am
@revelette1,
This is a video of the incident. As you can see they're a repulsive bunch of unemployed yobs who shouted a load of abuse before disappearing into the pub.

I recognise a lot of the people there, but I'm not in the video sorry.

We showed a lot of respect for the veterans, about half of the talks were about them and how inviting a fascist like Trump was an insult to all who had fought the Nazis.

We also gathered at the war memorial and held a minute's silence to show our respect.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/trump-uk-visit-protests-portsmouth-dday-landings-nazi-police-a8945176.html
revelette1

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 11:51 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The pro-Trump group appeared to consist of around 30 people

Yeah, a big show of support for Trump.
izzythepush

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 12:13 pm
@revelette1,
There is video, but it was all over in about ten minutes. They shouted a load of abuse then went into the nearest pub.

They all looked very similar, one woman amongst a load of fat white bald men about 45-65. They stank of the far right, and I'm sure they all knew each other.

They were looking for trouble, we were just quietly listening to various speakers.

The police knew that, about three quarters of them were spent dealing with a tiny bunch of fascists while the rest mingled with us.
livinglava

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 12:26 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There is video, but it was all over in about ten minutes. They shouted a load of abuse then went into the nearest pub.

They all looked very similar, one woman amongst a load of fat white bald men about 45-65. They stank of the far right, and I'm sure they all knew each other.

They were looking for trouble, we were just quietly listening to various speakers.

The police knew that, about three quarters of them were spent dealing with a tiny bunch of fascists while the rest mingled with us.

I don't know these people, of course, so this is speculative but has it ever occurred to you that when you have a culture of political superiority, regardless of your reasons, there are going to be people who become outcasts of that culture; and as a result they're going to develop angry attitudes and resent the people who exclude them to the extent they don't internalize the hate and submit to group culture that demonizes them?

In other words, has it ever occurred to you that by failing to respect others who think differently than you do, you push them more toward anger and radicalization instead of remaining respectfully in civil democratic discussion?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Wed 5 Jun, 2019 12:26 pm
I seem to remember the senate bitching about Obama going around them with presidential executive orders and depriving them their right to pass laws. Trump in 2 and one half years has surpassed all previous presidents in declaring executive orders. Where is the senate protests about the dictator in chief denying them their right to govern with laws rather than royal edict.