monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Sun 26 May, 2019 10:47 pm
@Builder,
Come on now. Don't be silly. Kadaffy's demise made the world a much better place.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 26 May, 2019 10:48 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Never happened. A flagrantly vile and false Goebbels-esque lie, i.e. a typical oralloy post.

Here's a show that was broadcast just two days after 9/11.

You can see plenty of leftists saying that 9/11 was America's fault and that the world (which they presume to speak for) hates us.

So yes, it did happen. Filthy leftists.
oralloy

Sun 26 May, 2019 10:49 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
every single thing in that post was contrary to fact.

No it isn't.

MontereyJack wrote:
Purely your diseases imagination or that of other wild-eved conspiracy theory-prone ultra-right zealots.

Nope. It's an accurate description of leftist behavior.

MontereyJack wrote:
I have again pointed out where you are wrong.

You have never done such a thing, and you certainly haven't done so this time.

MontereyJack wrote:
If you deny it, you're wrong.

No. It is proper that your untrue statements are denied.
oralloy

Sun 26 May, 2019 10:50 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
It would be nice if it deterred right wing war mongers like John Bolton a bit more.

It does. The US will not lightly enter into a nuclear war.

Dropping conventional bombs on third-world trash on the other hand is a perfectly reasonable way to spend an afternoon.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 26 May, 2019 10:51 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Which meant that we supported a whole lot of dictators who only had to say they opposed communism, irrespective of whether there was any danger of communism at all in their countries. to get us to support them rather than the reformers who wanted justice for the people the dictators oppress. And in the minds of the cold warriors anything other than the usual corrupt Latin American crony oligarchic capitalism was dangerous. They saw communists under every rock and behind every tree.

Communists really were trying to take over the world. We really did need to save ourselves.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 27 May, 2019 01:16 am
@oralloy,
\It is proper that YOUR untrue stateents be denied.
izzythepush

Mon 27 May, 2019 01:39 am
@oralloy,
I remember that, there were a lot of British Muslims in the audience, not "leftists," whatever that's supposed to mean.

I don't know anyone who was dancing around in glee after 9/11 but quite a few thought that after America had funded IRA atrocities over here some chickens were bound to come home to roost.

I notice you had to look outside of the US for an example, and a poor one at that. Despite what your propaganda says, the rest of the World doesn't love America and doesn't see 9/11 as the global catastrophe you like to portray it as. There was no glee in the Question Time special but a lot of justified anger about America's appalling treatment of the Palestinians, its support for dictators and the occupying troops in the ME.

What is most telling about 9/11 is the way Americans reacted, and it's fairly clear that they could never have endured the Blitz like we did.
FreedomEyeLove

Mon 27 May, 2019 04:17 am
@izzythepush,
You should be ashamed of yourself.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 27 May, 2019 04:44 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I remember that, there were a lot of British Muslims in the audience, not "leftists," whatever that's supposed to mean.

I don't know anyone who was dancing around in glee after 9/11 but quite a few thought that after America had funded IRA atrocities over here some chickens were bound to come home to roost.

I notice you had to look outside of the US for an example, and a poor one at that. Despite what your propaganda says, the rest of the World doesn't love America and doesn't see 9/11 as the global catastrophe you like to portray it as. There was no glee in the Question Time special but a lot of justified anger about America's appalling treatment of the Palestinians, its support for dictators and the occupying troops in the ME.

What is most telling about 9/11 is the way Americans reacted, and it's fairly clear that they could never have endured the Blitz like we did.

Could you explain exactly what you mean by that last statement?
izzythepush

Mon 27 May, 2019 05:01 am
@snood,
The hysteria following 9/11 was unprecedented. It was one thing people of NY, but it was the whole country.

During the Blitz we went through a 9/11 every single day and we just got on with it.

After 7/7, we went back to work. That wasn't the case in America.

It could have been avoided, the Clinton administration warned Bush about Al Qaida, the warnings were ignored. Simple security at airports like we had over here at the time could have stopped it as well.

Now, thanks to general incompetence by America we all have to endure excessive, intrusive checks.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 27 May, 2019 05:19 am
https://youtu.be/qGIsWg2lsN8

People looking for something productive to do stood in lines for hours to donate blood.

People were furious, compassionate, resolved.

America is faulted, as is the U.K. and any country inhabited by people, but many of our citizens came together in the aftermath of the attack and worked together to help those injured and the families of those who died. We found ways to support FDNY and NYPD that provided help for those incredibly brave public servants and orphans of those who perished.

This is a losing statement, Izzy, maybe heatedly said and maybe missing the mark of your initial intention. We all do it occasionally. I’d just walk away from it.
revelette1

Mon 27 May, 2019 05:42 am
@snood,
Izzie has anti-Americaism. He has since I have known him on A2k.
izzythepush

Mon 27 May, 2019 05:46 am
@revelette1,
I've not funded terrorist attacks in America. America funded the IRA for the best part of thirty years. You can see the footage of the aftermath of bombings in Birmingham, Manchester and London and you'll not see anything like the collective pant shitting that swept America post 9/11.

You're very good at dishing it out, Vietnam, bombing of Tripoli etc. etc. but not good at taking it.

Home of the brave? You're having a laugh.

I'm not anti America, I'm anti imperialist, and American neo imperialism is wreaking damage throughout the Globe on a daily basis.
revelette1

Mon 27 May, 2019 05:48 am
Quote:
President Trump appears intent on proving Lord Acton, the Victorian writer and politician of whom the president has almost certainly never heard, right. “Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely,” Acton wrote. “Great men are almost always bad men.” The longer Trump spends in office, the more he realizes what he can do as president — and the fewer aides remain who will tell him that there are certain things he should not do. He is now surrounded by lickspittles who will affirm, on command, that he is an “extremely stable genius.” Every abuse of power, when left unchecked, leads to a bigger abuse. The latest but far from final result is the wholesale assault on democracy launched by the president this past week, building on his prior assaults.

In February, Trump declared an emergency to spend money that Congress had not appropriated to build a border wall that the country doesn’t need. Only 10 percent of congressional Republicans opposed him. So now, having decided that rule-by-fiat suits him, Trump is using his emergency powers to bypass Congress to sell arms to Saudi Arabia. Both the House and Senate have voted to end support for the Saudi war in Yemen, but, having vetoed that resolution, Trump appears determined to remove Congress from any oversight role in the sale of weapons to the murderers of Jamal Khashoggi.

“Congress must reclaim its powers,” tweeted Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.), the lone Republican to call for Trump’s richly deserved impeachment. “When will the legislative branch stand up to the executive branch?” At this rate, the answer is: Never. At least not while a Republican sits in the White House and Republicans control the Senate.

Republicans remain supportive rather than censorious of Trump’s obstruction of justice, so it is hardly surprising, if nevertheless dismaying, that the president just delegated to Attorney General William P. Barr the authority to access and declassify the intelligence community’s most closely held secrets as Barr investigates the investigators who tried to stop Russian penetration of the Trump campaign. So Trump’s position is that his tax returns should remain private but the CIA’s “sources and methods” should become public.

This gives Barr a license to selectively declassify documents, just as Trump did last year to help Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) issue his own memo on the same subject. Nunes’s contention — that the FBI probe was triggered by the “Steele dossier” paid for by the Democrats — turned out to be false. But Barr is undeterred by Nunes’s failure to prove a deep-state conspiracy against Trump. He appears determined to find something, anything, in the secret files to feed Trump’s victimhood fantasies, even if the cost is to blow the cover of sources who have risked their lives to help the CIA.

Barr is proving to be Trump’s faithful lackey in launching investigations designed to discredit and possibly even prosecute his accusers. When Trump said Hillary Clinton should be locked up, he meant it; the Mueller report documents Trump’s repeated demands that the Justice Department investigate his 2016 opponent. Having paid no price for what should be an impeachable offense, Trump let it be known this week that former FBI director James B. Comey and Deputy Director Andrew McCabe — along with “people probably higher than that” — deserved to be executed for treason. Is Trump insinuating that President Barack Obama and Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch, to whom the FBI reported in 2016, were guilty of treason? Sure sounds like it.

Trump also continues to show contempt for any congressional oversight. His attempts to stonewall Congress suffered major setbacks last week when two federal judges ruled against his attempts to block subpoenas to his accountants and financial institutions. This seemed to send Trump off his rocker — not that he was ever really on said rocker to begin with.

After House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) accused Trump of throwing a “temper tantrum” in a meeting with top Democrats, the president threw another one right on cue, calling her “Crazy Nancy,” saying “she’s a mess" and posting a doctored video to give the impression that she had trouble speaking. This, too, is an abuse with a precedent: During the 2016 campaign, Trump repeatedly cast aspersions on Clinton’s health. The indictment of dirty trickster Roger Stone reveals his friend Jerome Corsi writing to him on Aug. 2, 2016: “Would not hurt to start suggesting HRC old, memory bad, has stroke.” Trump is like a football coach who keeps calling the same plays for different opponents — as long, of course, as those opponents are female.

I refrain from saying that Trump has hit a “new low” because the phrase is meaningless; next week he is practically guaranteed to bore even deeper into substrata of immorality and vileness that no previous president has ever penetrated. The only thing that can stop him before November 2020 is impeachment. But Pelosi’s caution is understandable: The House can impeach, but the Senate will never convict, allowing Trump to claim unearned exoneration. The result is that Trump’s abuses of power are practically guaranteed to get worse as he fights for his political survival.

The state of our union is God awful.
izzythepush

Mon 27 May, 2019 05:50 am
@Lash,
I don't remember any Americans giving a **** about British civilians murdered by the IRA, yet you expect us to join in with your collective lamentations.

It's hypocritical.
revelette1

Mon 27 May, 2019 05:50 am
@izzythepush,
Supposing all that is true. nevertheless, anytime you talk or respond to a topic with the US tied into it somehow, you have a criticism. It is just what you do. I have learned to ignore it (usually). However, got no sleep last night, so a little grumpy.
hightor

Mon 27 May, 2019 05:54 am
I don't think Izzy is condemning ordinary USAmericans who donated blood or supported the rescue workers. What disgusted me was the wholesale rush to war, the demonization of our own Muslim and Sikh citizens, GW Bush telling us to go shopping and visit DisneyWorld, and the total jingoist ignorance about why something like that could have even happened. The USA suffered a criminal terror attack and turned it into an excuse to occupy Afghanistan and later Iraq. The world doesn't love the USA. For good reasons.
revelette1

Mon 27 May, 2019 06:00 am
@izzythepush,
Did the IRA (who had been under the yoke of British rule for 100's of years.) kill over 3000 souls in one day?

revelette1

Mon 27 May, 2019 06:02 am
@hightor,
I agree.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 27 May, 2019 06:46 am
@izzythepush,
I didn’t expect anything from you or other Brits, to include what just looked like your post-attack comparative dick measuring.
0 Replies