monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Sun 26 May, 2019 07:09 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Perhaps the Russians would have used Cuban forces to occupied your nation an you could had then learn first hand how kind they was inclined to be.

Yeah, that's realistic. You sound deluded. Earnest, but deluded nonetheless. I'm sure you can find anecdotal accounts of the cruelty and oppression dealt to the Cubans by the USA-backed Batista regime. The fact is, the USA did not get wiped off the face of the earth. And the planet is paying the price to this day.
coluber2001

Sun 26 May, 2019 07:16 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Next Cuba is the only south american nation who had join forces with our worst enemy an at one time threaten the mass murder of millions of US citizens by way of a first strike nuclear attack that would. by the nature of the launch site location, would have near zero warning time.

I wonder of what use a warning time would be. If you have a warning time all that means is mutual destruction of the world.

Kennedy is praised and lauded as a great president, partly because he was assassinated. But from the Memoirs of Vasili Arkhipov, we now know that because of an over-reaction by Kennedy he nearly caused a nuclear war. It was by his action that he nearly caused it, but he was helpless to stop it-- nor was he even aware that he almost caused it-- and it was only through the actions of Vasily Arkhipov that nuclear war was avoided.
izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2019 07:36 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Next Cuba is the only south american nation

Cuba is in the Caribbean, and is entirely north of the equator.

If you can't even get the location right don't expect any more of your nonsense to be taken seriously.

Cuba had good reason to hate America after what the Mafia did to it. However, they didn't, and they only turned to the Soviets after America's unjustified sanctions.

Invest in an Atlas, your lack of education is showing.
izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2019 07:38 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

My my a shining example of human rights indeed if you ever get to south florida

I'll never go to Florida, I don't approve of shooting up schools or associating with inbreds. And I have no desire to meet the likes of Ted Cruz.
BillRM

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:06 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

BillRM wrote:

My my a shining example of human rights indeed if you ever get to south florida

I'll never go to Florida, I don't approve of shooting up schools or associating with inbreds. And I have no desire to meet the likes of Ted Cruz.

Or the men who spend decades in Cuban prisons for daring to annoy Castro for that matter it would seems.

Can't see yourself telling such men directly that Castro was not all that bad perhaps?[/quote]
BillRM

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:17 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

BillRM wrote:

Next Cuba is the only south american nation

Cuba is in the Caribbean, and is entirely north of the equator.

If you can't even get the location right don't expect any more of your nonsense to be taken seriously.

Cuba had good reason to hate America after what the Mafia did to it. However, they didn't, and they only turned to the Soviets after America's unjustified sanctions.

Invest in an Atlas, your lack of education is showing.

LOL yes they hate the US and that was the reason they was willing to allow the means to destroy the US on their soil in fact it is reported that Castro try to prevent Khrushchev from backing down even if it would mean nuclear war.

Quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/09/24/world/khrushchev-memoir-tells-of-castro-plea-for-attack-on-us.html

Fidel Castro urged the Soviet Union to attack the United States in 1962 because he feared an American invasion of Cuba during the Cuban missile crisis, Nikita S. Khrushchev said in portions of his memoirs published today.

The new excerpts, in Time magazine, include material deemed by Khrushchev's relatives and friends to be too incendiary or delicate for publication in the two volumes of memoirs printed in the United States in 1970 and 1974.

Khrushchev seems to confirm a longstanding rumor about the missile crisis. He quotes the Cuban leader as saying in 1962 uction of the Soviet missiles in Cuba.that the Kremlin ''should launch a pre-emptive strike against the U.S.'' to prevent destr

''Castro was hotheaded,'' Khrushchev says. Mr. Castro ''totally failed to understand'' that Soviet missiles had been placed in Cuba to deter an American attack, not to attack the United States, he said.
izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:22 am
@BillRM,
They hated the US so you gave them good reason to hate you more.

It's not worked though has it? David has stood up to Goliath, and you're no further forward than when you were defeated at the Bay of Pigs.
revelette1

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:23 am
Trump’s Targeting of Intelligence Agencies Gains a Harder Edge
coluber2001

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:24 am
@BillRM,
"Any fool can start a war, and once he's done so, even the wisest of men are helpless to stop it - especially if it's a nuclear war."

Nikita Khrushchev
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:28 am
@BillRM,
Florida is well chavvy, it's the number one chav destination after Florida.

I'd like to see you walk unarmed into a room full of armed Taliban and tell them why the invasion was a good thing.

That's what you're asking me to do, go somewhere I'm not allowed to be armed and talk to the AK47 wielding descendants of Batista's death squads.

I'm not ******* stupid.

More to the point, if I'm going to spend thousands of pounds on a holiday I'm going to go somewhere I want to go.

If I could go to Florida for the same price as a trip to Amsterdam I'd still rather go to Amsterdam.
BillRM

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:36 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

They hated the US so you gave them good reason to hate you more.

It's not worked though has it? David has stood up to Goliath, and you're no further forward than when you were defeated at the Bay of Pigs.

Yes due to a new and wet behind the ear president at the time we did not just taken Castro out an therefore allow million or so Cubans to live their lives in their own home land in peace instead of risking their lives an their families lives to reach the US.

True we gain one hell of a lot of very useful new citizens but it is still sad that we did not exercise our responsibility an removed Castro.

Quote:

https://2001-2009.state.gov/r/pa/ho/time/ip/86557.htm

The United States, Cuba, and the Platt Amendment, 1901

The Platt Amendment, an amendment to a U.S. army appropriations bill, established the terms under which the United States would end its military occupation of Cuba (which had begun in 1898 during the Spanish-American War) and "leave the government and control of the island of Cuba to its people." While the amendment was named after Senator Orville Platt of Connecticut, it was drafted largely by Secretary of War Elihu Root. The Platt Amendment laid down eight conditions to which the Cuban Government had to agree before the withdrawal of U.S. forces and the transfer of sovereignty would begin.

The Platt Amendment's conditions prohibited the Cuban Government from entering into any international treaty that would compromise Cuban independence or allow foreign powers to use the island for military purposes. The United States also reserved the right to intervene in Cuban affairs in order to defend Cuban independence and to maintain "a government adequate for the protection of life, property, and individual liberty." Other conditions of the Amendment demanded that the Cuban Government implement plans to improve sanitary conditions on the island, relinquish claims on the Isle of Pines (now known as the Isla de la Juventud), and agree to sell or lease territory for coaling and naval stations to the United States. (This clause ultimately led to the perpetual lease by the United States of Guant�namo Bay.) Finally, the amendment required the Cuban Government to conclude a treaty with the United States that would make the Platt amendment legally binding, and the United States pressured the Cubans to incorporate the terms of the Platt Amendment in the Cuban constitution.

The rationale behind the Platt Amendment was straightforward. The United States Government had intervened in Cuba in order to safeguard its significant commercial interests on the island in the wake of Spain's inability to preserve law and order. As U.S. military occupation of the island was to end, the United States needed some method of maintaining a permanent presence and order. However, anti-annexationists in Congress had incorporated the Teller Amendment in the 1898 war resolution authorizing President William McKinley to take action against Spain in the Spanish-American War. This Teller Amendment committed the U.S. Government to granting Cuba its independence following the removal of Spanish forces. By directly incorporating the requirements of the Platt Amendment into the Cuban constitution, the McKinley Administration was able to shape Cuban affairs without violating the Teller Amendment.

General Leonard Wood, commander of the U.S. occupation forces and military governor of Cuba, presented the terms of the Platt Amendment to the delegates of the Cuban Constitutional Convention in late 1900. Although the Cuban delegates realized that the amendment significantly limited Cuban sovereignty, and originally refused to include it within their constitution, the U.S. Government promised them a trade treaty that would guarantee Cuban sugar exports access to the U.S. market. After several failed attempts by the Cubans to reject or modify the terms of the Platt amendment, the Cuban Constitutional Convention finally succumbed to American pressure and ratified it on June 12, 1901, by a vote of 16 to 11. The Platt Amendment remained in force until 1934 when both sides agreed to cancel the treaties that enforced it.

oralloy

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:41 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Go back and look at the illogic in his attempt to prove Trump haters were Lincoln haters.

Except, I never attempted to prove that Trump haters also hate Lincoln.
BillRM

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:42 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Florida is well chavvy, it's the number one chav destination after Florida.

I'd like to see you walk unarmed into a room full of armed Taliban and tell them why the invasion was a good thing.

That's what you're asking me to do, go somewhere I'm not allowed to be armed and talk to the AK47 wielding descendants of Batista's death squads.

I'm not ******* stupid.

More to the point, if I'm going to spend thousands of pounds on a holiday I'm going to go somewhere I want to go.

If I could go to Florida for the same price as a trip to Amsterdam I'd still rather go to Amsterdam.

LOL do not worry most of the men I am thinking of are now very old and most are cripple up from their times in Castro prisons.

0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:43 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You're a hypocrite, Vietnam, Laos, Salvador, Honduras, Chile, Grenada, Iraq etc. The US has waged unjustified wars of aggression and persecution since the end of WW2.

Preventing Communism from stamping out freedom and democracy was in no way unjustified, aggression, or persecution.

izzythepush wrote:
Not to mention arms sales to regimes like Saudi Arabia.

Does the UK sell arms to Saudi Arabia?
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:44 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Next Cuba is the only south american nation who had join forces with our worst enemy an at one time threaten the mass murder of millions of US citizens by way of a first strike nuclear attack that would. by the nature of the launch site location, would have near zero warning time.

That's why Russia gets so upset about the idea of Ukraine joining NATO. The distance from northern Ukraine to Moscow is about the same as the distance from Cuba to Miami (or from North Carolina to Washington DC).

Imagine how we'd have reacted to the Cuban Missile Crisis if Miami had been our federal capital (or if the Soviet missiles had been placed in North Carolina instead of in Cuba).
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:45 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
The fact is, the USA did not get wiped off the face of the earth. And the planet is paying the price to this day.

Like I've always said, leftists hate America and would like to see it destroyed.
oralloy

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:46 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:
I wonder of what use a warning time would be. If you have a warning time all that means is mutual destruction of the world.

The ability to impose mutual destruction is useful because it deters the other side from going to war.
oralloy

Sun 26 May, 2019 09:56 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
It's not worked though has it?

Cuba is indeed still imprisoning and torturing peaceful democracy activists. And leftists around the world do still approve of these atrocities.

izzythepush wrote:
David has stood up to Goliath, and you're no further forward than when you were defeated at the Bay of Pigs.

As part of the resolution of the Cuban Missile Crisis, we promised not to invade if the Soviets withdrew their nukes.

And now that the Cold War is over, it really isn't so urgent to topple the rogue regime in Cuba.
oralloy

Sun 26 May, 2019 10:14 am
@revelette1,

I'd rather see him sic the FBI and IRS on all the leftists. The left is the true source of this witch hunt.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2019 10:19 am
@BillRM,
I'm not going to waste any more time arguing with a man who thinks Cuba is in South America.

You've diverted this thread long enough.