monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Builder

Sat 25 May, 2019 06:23 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
But just condemning the site itself is not particularly convincing if you can't even show us its errors.

The simple fact that you can't cite wiki for research or evidence in university essays, says it all, for me.

The definition itself, speaks tomes that you're ignoring. But then, that's your usual style of "debate".
Builder

Sat 25 May, 2019 06:25 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Think History, choosing a "best candidate" is f( marketing).

Then it's a broken system.

Ours is no better at present, and too easily influenced by marketing, to be a valid indicator of anything other than a selfish consumer mindset.

I still maintain that the people chose the lesser-of-two-evils, in your nation.

Not the case for us, though.
MontereyJack

Sat 25 May, 2019 07:19 pm
@Builder,
We did choose the lesser of two evils. We chose Hillary. The founding ffathers fucked us over from beyond the grave with their benighted electoral college. Which also gave us the second worst of American presidents, w. bush in 2000. Which is why sop many states have passed a work-around to tie the results of the electoral college directly to the national winner of the popular vote.
MontereyJack

Sat 25 May, 2019 07:34 pm
@Builder,
The reason you cant cite Wikipedia in university essays is the same reason you cant cite encyclopedia Britannica or America in papers. That's because it is not a primary source or original research. Iy's a distillation of the original research wor original documants, which yoru find at the end of articles. Which does NOT mean that it's likely to give you wrong answes. Try reasing Conservapedia (the name gives you a clue) if you want a real bat **** crazy encyclopedia online.
0 Replies

livinglava

Sat 25 May, 2019 08:48 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

We did choose the lesser of two evils. We chose Hillary. The founding ffathers fucked us over from beyond the grave with their benighted electoral college. Which also gave us the second worst of American presidents, w. bush in 2000. Which is why sop many states have passed a work-around to tie the results of the electoral college directly to the national winner of the popular vote.

Major problems exist with US democracy today, which were forecast by the founding fathers, who saw that if the people could control the government by majority voting, they could abuse government as an instrument to redistribute wealth/property.

Today politics has become mostly all about social-redistribution through growth-stimulus and selective government spending and regulation, which creates jobs and then entitles/protects certain categories of people who are privileged either through accreditation and/or through other identity classifications. This is not a covert/subtle/encoded critique of affirmative action, because that is just one aspect of it; since non-minority identified people can take advantage of classifications and protections gained and secured through institutional accreditation, licensing, and other government-regulations. The argument is that meritocracy can be fair and regulation devoted to ensuring safety, quality, environmental protection, etc. and maybe such regulations often do so, but they can also be tweaked in ways that procure and secure special interests and prevent some people from entering markets so that others can maintain privileged, if not monopolistic/oligopolistic, positions within those markets.

As such, it makes sense to have checks and balances against populism in democracy. In other words, it is not contrary to democracy to have institutions like the electoral college that block hostile takeover by the masses and their media/propaganda masters and paymasters, who seek to control government not in the interest of achieving a government of consent for all the people, but only for the sake of allowing majoritarian economic interests to subjugate wealth/property to the task of serving the greed/envy of the majority.

In short, there are fundamental issues of respect for the pursuit of life and liberty that necessitate protecting people against hostile economic coercion; even if the interests behind the coercion are favored by a majority of voters.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 25 May, 2019 08:52 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
directly to the national winner of the popular vote.

And when the majority of people decide to kill someone on the street that would be true democracy in action. No charges necessary, it was a majority decision. Democrats take over and we will turn into a third world country in no time at all.
0 Replies

FreedomEyeLove

Sat 25 May, 2019 09:34 pm
@MontereyJack,
You're an idiot. Remember when Hillary was saying that Trump wouldn't accept defeat in the 2016 election? And since then, that evil, old, disgusting harpy won't shut up about how she doesn't accept the fact that she lost fair and square because the American people didn't want ant her. She keeps saying that the election was "stolen" from her.

Not only is Hillary an immoral, nasty, evil woman who lusts for power, she's also a delusional fruitcake who thinks she deserved to win.

You need to grow up.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sat 25 May, 2019 11:47 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
@BillRM,
I'm not saying that Cuba is perfect, far from it, but since the Cuban revolution, America has supported, and funded, much worse regimes in Latin America.

It's the double standards I can't stand.

Why are you so quiet about the CIA coup in Chile that installed Pinochet?

Quote:
The most prevalent forms of state-sponsored torture that Chilean prisoners endured were electric shocks, waterboarding, beatings, and sexual abuse. Another common mechanism of torture employed was "disappearing" those who were deemed to be potentially subversive because they adhered to leftist political doctrines. The tactic of "disappearing" the enemies of the Pinochet regime was systematically carried out during the first four years of military rule. The "disappeared" were held in secret, subjected to torture and were often never seen again. Both the National Commission on Political Imprisonment and Torture (Valech Report) and the Commission of Truth and Reconciliation (Rettig Report) approximate that there were around 30,000 victims of human rights abuses in Chile, with 27,255 tortured and 2,279 executed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_violations_in_Pinochet%27s_Chile

If America had accepted the revolution and allowed Cuba to trade normally it would most likely be a model of democracy today.

99.9% of Cuba's problems stem from America's unjust treatment of a sovereign nation.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsS9MSJ962RyW3pbpwOX8LZg1b--_U4fbQ39EECX83rohzJ0rZEQ

LOL Cuba under Castro, unlike any other south american nation, had been our enemy that had threaten our very existence by way of granting a nuclear rocket base 90 miles from our shore.

I can still remember as a young teenager following the Cuban missile crisis by short wave radio tune to the BBC and radio Moscow and using a compass and a map to find how many and the type of missiles in Cuba that had the range to hit my home in NJ. While cursing out Kennedy for not having land Marines and hanging Castro a year or so before.

Then a decade later I got to become friends to men who was torture by Mr. Castro so yes I do not view Cuba as as the same as other nations in south america and that had not change as Cuba is still an agent of the Russians.
izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2019 03:23 am
@BillRM,
Nothing about Pinochet.

I'm sure your chum Ted Cruz would be well chuffed.

He's one of those really nice Cubans forced out by the revolution.

You're a hypocrite, Vietnam, Laos, Salvador, Honduras, Chile, Grenada, Iraq etc. The US has waged unjustified wars of aggression and persecution since the end of WW2. Not to mention arms sales to regimes like Saudi Arabia.

Compared to the US, Cuba is a shining example of human rights and democracy. And most importantly Cuba does not allow its children to be butchered by the NRA.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/05/04/world/americas/fidel-poster-promo/fidel-poster-promo-facebookJumbo-v2.jpg
farmerman

Sun 26 May, 2019 03:47 am
@Builder,
Quote:
I still maintain that the people chose the lesser-of-two-evils, in your nation.
I dont think its turned out that way . Where are the "deficit hawks" that have run the GOP??. Where are the "moral highgrounders"??. All I see are destruction of the middle class and rise of the wealthy hypocrites.
Builder

Sun 26 May, 2019 03:57 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
All I see are destruction of the middle class and rise of the wealthy hypocrites.
Sounds like neoliberal problems. What would have been different with Clinton? She'd taken campaign funding from everyone, including the Saudis.

The pay-to-play situation meant she had "bosses" aplenty.

Invading Iran, with the subsequent millions of refugees would result.

Europe is still reeling from what Clinton did in Libya. You want more of that?

farmerman

Sun 26 May, 2019 04:20 am
@Builder,
You stick with that. It diverts from your presidents circus act.
hightor

Sun 26 May, 2019 04:41 am
@Builder,
Quote:

The simple fact that you can't cite wiki for research or evidence in university essays, says it all, for me.

A university probably wouldn't accept a lot of the media links people provide here for the purpose of discussion. If you simply look at the wiki entry and then cite the particular sources you won't have that problem. Obviously just providing a link to a wiki page wouldn't qualify as original research. But this opinion board doesn't have the same standards as a university. Duh!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2019 04:52 am
America's lickspittle president in action.

Quote:
US President Donald Trump has dismissed concerns about recent North Korean missile tests, appearing to contradict his own national security adviser.

In a tweet issued shortly after his arrival in Japan on Sunday, Mr Trump called the missiles "small weapons".

US National Security Adviser John Bolton said on Saturday that the tests violated UN resolutions on North Korea.

President Trump began a state visit to Japan on Sunday by teeing off a round of golf with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

The two leaders ate breakfast together on Sunday, before heading out to play 16 holes of golf in Chiba, outside the capital Tokyo.

Mr Trump has said he wants to strike a deal with Japan to address what he has called a trade imbalance between the two countries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48412016
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 26 May, 2019 05:08 am
Crazy Is as Crazy Does
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Sometimes, as the light comes in my bedroom window and I start to wake up, my mind drifts to other things.

I think about how talented Phoebe Waller-Bridge is, with her two mordant shows, “Killing Eve” and “Fleabag.” I think about how cool it will be to see Idris Elba resume his role as a world-weary London homicide detective in “Luther.” I think about what a harrowing tale Patrick Radden Keefe has woven in “Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland.”

But once I’m completely awake, a gravitational pull takes hold and I am once more bedeviled by our preposterous president.

I flip on the TV and gird for the endless stream of vitriol coming from the White House, bracing for another day of overflowing, overlapping, overwrought news stories about Trump. I’m sapped before I rise.

As Mayor Pete said on his Fox town hall about the national Trump preoccupation, “It is the nature of grotesque things that you can’t look away.”

My head hurts, puzzling over whether Trump is just a big blowhard who’s flailing around, or a sinister genius laying traps to get himself impeached to animate the base ahead of the election.

A minute ago, we were fixated on the half of the Mueller report that vividly details how Trump tried to shut down and hinder the Mueller investigation. But now the president has triggered the media’s shock collar, so everyone is fixated on how he gave William Barr vast new powers to use the intelligence agencies to investigate the investigators.

Just as Trump once wore out contractors, bankers, lawyers and businesspeople in New York with his combative, insulting and wayward ways, now he’s wearing out the political crowd, as he tries to beat everybody here into submission with his daily, even hourly, onslaught of outrage piled upon outrage.

Journalists must not become inured to Trump’s outlandish, transgressive behavior. Mitch McConnell, Barr and almost everyone else in the G.O.P. have made themselves numb to his abhorrent actions because of self-interest.

But for those who are concerned about the scarring of the American psyche, it’s exhausting to find the vocabulary to keep explaining, over and over, how beyond the pale and out of the norm the 45th president is.

How do you ratchet up from “remarkable,” “extraordinary,” “unprecedented”?

What words can you use about someone who considers pardoning war criminals on Memorial Day? Who wants to make it simpler for adoption agencies to bar same-sex couples? Who circumvents Congress to complete arms deals to benefit the same Saudis who are clearly culpable in the case of the dismembered Washington Post columnist?

Pete Buttigieg and Nancy Pelosi have both mastered the art of puncturing Trump — far better than his Republican primary debate rivals did.

“I don’t have a problem standing up to somebody who was working on Season 7 of ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ when I was packing my bags for Afghanistan,” Buttigieg told The Post’s Robert Costa, saying he took a dim view of Trump’s bone-spurs excuse to get out of serving in Vietnam.

Pelosi winds Trump up when she drips condescension worthy of a Jane Austen grande dame, saying she will pray for the president or pleading for someone to stage an intervention with the poor soul.

After Pelosi remarked that the president was engaged in a cover-up, Trump dynamited his own meeting with “Crazy Nancy,” as he called her. His I’m not crazy, you’re crazy rebuttal to Pelosi echoed his I’m not a puppet, you’re a puppet line to Hillary Clinton during the debate.

Trump tweeted a video of Pelosi that was manipulated to make her look as if she were slurring her words.

“Well, I don’t know about the videos,” the president told reporters as he left on his trip to Japan.

“He does outrageous, nasty, destructive things, knowing full well he’s crossing a line, and then he pretends he didn’t,” said Trump biographer Tim O’Brien. “He has spent five decades going to gossip columnists, radio shows, TV interviews and newspapers to stick a knife into almost anybody who crosses his path that he doesn’t like and he revels in it. There is something amazing in the Energizer Bunny aspect of his nastiness and his ignorance. He doesn’t care what people think about how mean or dumb he is. He just keeps going.”

O’Brien said Pelosi “hit on something that is core to his con. His whole life is about the cover-up. He has covered up his academic record, his health reports, his dalliances with women, his finances, his family history. Even while he was saying he was the most transparent president in history, his Treasury secretary was across town telling Congress, ‘I’m not giving you the president’s tax returns.’

“One of the biggest motivating factors in Trump’s life — other than food, greed, sex and revenge — is mythmaking. Deep down, he knows he’s a pathological liar and he’s not the person he says he is. But any time anyone pierces that veil, it sends him into a rage.”

It’s wearing, not letting this petulant man wear us all out.

nyt/dowd
izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2019 06:19 am
@hightor,
Peace in Northern Ireland is extremely fragile right now, what with Brexiteers willing to trash the Good Friday Agreement just please a bunch of geriatric fascists.

May, probably the worst prime minister since Lord North, couldn't hack it, so the Tory membership will impose our next prime minister on us.

They're a right sorry bunch, and the biggest idiot of all, Boris Johnson happens to be the frontrunner.

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.rs/thumb/e/ed/Boris_johnson_mong.jpg/400px-Boris_johnson_mong.jpg

There's only one candidate capable of acting like a prime minister and doing the job, Rory Stewart. I normally hate all Tories, but I don't hate him, I actually quite admire him.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1049639018365931521/9Grp_-R6_400x400.jpg

Quote:
Stewart was a senior coalition official in Iraq in 2003–04. He is known for his book about this experience, Occupational Hazards or The Prince of the Marshes, and for his 2002 walk across Afghanistan (part of a larger walk across Asia), which served as the basis for his bestseller, The Places in Between, as well as his later cultural development work in Afghanistan as the founder and executive chairman of the British charity Turquoise Mountain Foundation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Stewart

He is quite an incredible person, unfortunately the job will go to the blond chimp with the cricket ball.
hightor

Sun 26 May, 2019 06:31 am
@izzythepush,
Yeah, I've heard about Stewart, mostly that he doesn't have a chance. I've been meaning to ask you about Johnson. I really hate to see this happening to the U.K.
izzythepush

Sun 26 May, 2019 06:35 am
@hightor,
He's a buffoon, a complete joke, but he appeals to the blue rinse brigade who will decide in the end.

The Tory membership is dominated by pensioners whose triple lock pensions guarantees they'll be unaffected by the economic tsunami that Brexit will unleash.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 26 May, 2019 06:48 am
Frederick Douglass wrote:
A government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming no higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, than nature, reason and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.

nyt/lepore
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 26 May, 2019 06:55 am
@izzythepush,
My my a shining example of human rights indeed if you ever get to south florida I will go to the trouble to set up meetings between you and those who had been torture and imprison for decades by this shining example of human rights.

Next Cuba is the only south american nation who had join forces with our worst enemy an at one time threaten the mass murder of millions of US citizens by way of a first strike nuclear attack that would. by the nature of the launch site location, would have near zero warning time.

As I said for all of Kennedy many strengths by not landing troops to back up our Cuban allies that day he did risk having the US wiped off the face of the earth.

Without the protection of the US then you would had likely needed to learn Russian as your nuclear force of v-bombers was unlikely to had been enough to stop you from needing to surrender.

Perhaps the Russians would have used Cuban forces to occupied your nation an you could had then learn first hand how kind they was inclined to be.