monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Tue 23 Apr, 2019 06:47 pm
@Brand X,
Quote:
It seems like everyone of good faith should be eager to investigate how a false, fraudulent dossier full of fake, inflammatory claims made its way to the highest levels of the US Government and then into the heart of US political and media discourse for two-plus years.

The answer to the first part of the question, how the dossier got the attention of the US government, is probably that it concerned a candidate for president and were he elected the information it contained — if true — might compromise him.

As far as making it "into the heart of US political and media discourse for two-plus years", that's an exaggeration. Mueller managed to land quite a few indictments and convictions, none of which had any direct connection to the Steele report. The dossier attracted some attention but I don't agree that the integrity of the entire Mueller investigation hinges on its veracity.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 23 Apr, 2019 08:44 pm
In my view, Pfeiffer's argument is 100% correct
Quote:
DAN PFEIFFER (CROOKED MEDIA): Let me say my bigger point here, which is the Fox -- a lot of very important grassroots work has been done, by Sleeping Giants, Media Matters, a lot of incredibly important reporting from people like Jane Mayer, and Gabriel Sherman to expose Fox News for what it is, which is not some conservative version of MSNBC. It is a corporate-funded racial-grievance machine for the sole purpose of electing Republicans. It exists to protect Trump, it exists to destroy Democrats, news is the coffee grinds in which they smuggle in the cocaine of propaganda. And a great amount of work has been done to make that case to advertisers, to make that case to the public, to make that case to other reporters to take what they say as a grain of salt. We have come a million miles since Obama was dealing with Fox when we were in the White House in terms of public understanding of the danger of Fox. And if all of a sudden 19 Democrats all go on Fox, it undermines that work. Right? It allows Fox's advertising department to go back to the advertisers who have pulled out because of things Sean Hannity has said, Tucker Carlson has said, Laura Ingraham has said and say look: Bernie Sanders comes on here, Amy Klobuchar comes on here, Pete Buttigieg comes on here, and see we are legitimate and to get those advertising dollars back.

JON FAVREAU (HOST): You think that works? You really think that the advertisers would be like oh, I'm going to second-guess my decision to pull the ads because Bernie's on the channel?

PFEIFFER: That's the view of Media Matters, which has been leading the effort to do this. I mean, basically during the Tucker Carlson, Fox has been showing basically dead air because they can't get enough advertisers to fill the inventory for that show. And see, money is fungible so that comes out of Fox's bottom line. So I do think we have to think about the fact that if you do things that help Fox sell more ads, what you are doing is making it easier for them to keep Tucker Carlson on air. You are supporting their white supremacist programming, which is incredibly dangerous to America, right? And I think that is my concern, is that in -- if the Democratic Party all of a sudden embraces Fox again, and I think we're doing it for sort of dumb political reasons outside of the context of your own campaign strategy. We are doing a lot of work to rehabilitate Fox in the minds of corporate America and the public writ large. And I think that is potentially damaging the long-term progressives' cause of undoing Trumpism in America which requires limiting the influence of the danger of propaganda networks, most notably Fox.
MM

I highly recommend Crooked Media for the writers working there (such as Brian Beutler) and the Pod Save America people. Top notch, each of them.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 23 Apr, 2019 09:11 pm
@snood,
Why thank you dear heart. Unfortunately, I've found it necessary to place Georgie on time out. I want to say it was a difficult decision, but since I've never worked on a horse farm, and have never had to muck rake the stalls......at this stage in life I choose not to be shoveling horse doo doo in an attempt to get the horses' patootie to be reasonable or coherent.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 23 Apr, 2019 09:24 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Drug notes from all over.

Serious chest pain yesterday so back to hospital. They said, "We'll have to give you morphine". I've never had morphine and the news made me cheerful.
What a disappointment. As a secondary matter, no pain relief even after they zonked me with it four times. But the primary disappointment was that the floor wasn't covered with jolly VW bus flowers and the nurses didn't suddenly become lithe hippy girls. I'm rethinking my allegiance with our medical system.

If you are having any discomfort please head back to the hospital. Call emergency services and don't try to hitchhike to the ER. Please make sure you have nitro tabs on you always. I don't want to sound like Auntie G'bag, but my husband and Dad both dealt with heart problems and sometimes they needed a nudge in the right direction.
glitterbag

Tue 23 Apr, 2019 09:26 pm
@Brand X,
Well, Dr. Maddow was a college professor and Greenwald is an easily duped conspiracy nut. Go figure
blatham

Tue 23 Apr, 2019 10:08 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
don't try to hitchhike to the ER.
Not while I have my skateboard.

But to ease your kind concern, there are three of us here, one a nurse. I won't hesitate to get myself to treatment given symptoms. We seem to have isolated the problem (a clue being the ineffectiveness of morphine to diminish pain). On the other hand though, if God approached me at night in the desert with that rumbling voice of His and offered me eternal life so long as I was willing to eat nothing but hospital food, I'd tell Him, politely, to shove it.
glitterbag

Tue 23 Apr, 2019 10:36 pm
@blatham,
As would I.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Tue 23 Apr, 2019 10:47 pm
@blatham,
Morphine is vastly overrated. It works (at least for me) for a very brief time (I have a strangely high metabolic rate - thanks Pop). It also puts me to sleep. For pain relief I found dilaudid to be superb. (Demarol was nice too).

Anyways, it you're in distress, get thyself to a medical facility. Don't be a fool the way I was in 2009.
Lash

Tue 23 Apr, 2019 11:48 pm
@glitterbag,
Glenn Greenwald
Glenn Greenwald is one of three co-founding editors of The Intercept. He is a journalist, constitutional lawyer, and author of four New York Times best-selling books on politics and law. His most recent book, “No Place to Hide,” is about the U.S. surveillance state and his experiences reporting on the Snowden documents around the world. Prior to co-founding The Intercept, Glenn’s column was featured in the Guardian and Salon. He was the debut winner, along with Amy Goodman, of the Park Center I.F. Stone Award for Independent Journalism in 2008, and also received the 2010 Online Journalism Award for his investigative work on the abusive detention conditions of Chelsea Manning. For his 2013 NSA reporting, he received the George Polk Award for National Security Reporting; the Gannett Foundation Award for investigative journalism and the Gannett Foundation Watchdog Journalism Award; the Esso Premio for Excellence in Investigative Reporting in Brazil (he was the first non-Brazilian to win), and the Electronic Frontier Foundation’s Pioneer Award. Along with Laura Poitras, Foreign Policy magazine named him one of the top 100 Global Thinkers for 2013. The NSA reporting he led for the Guardian was awarded the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for public service
Lash

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 12:29 am
@Brand X,
This is a fact. Greenwald is a genius by any unbiased standards. The Russiagate kool-aid society can’t bear that fact.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 12:35 am
@izzythepush,
Ugh. I’m always more horrified by the embarrassment of his trips to Britain than others. What kernels of wisdom will he share with May on Brexit? Maybe he’ll have solace for Queen Elizabeth—reassure her that he won’t let her little garden sink into the sea.

glitterbag

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 12:48 am
@Lash,
Yes Lash, I know what credentials he flouts. My colleagues think he is over rated and a simpleton easily swayed by conspiracy notions. Greenwald, James Bamford, Snowdon and Assange are all sensationalists and void of useful information or insight. But I do understand why you think so highly of them., Sad, but understandible.
Lash

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 12:57 am
@glitterbag,
Yeah. You and your ‘colleagues’ are a better judge than a constitutional lawyer with a Pulitzer for investigatory journalism on the NSA and four best-selling books on politics and law...

You’re laughable.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 01:04 am
@Lash,
He won't be in the palace.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/13994/production/_106567208_mirror.png

The UK is a bit more than a little garden. We stood up to Hitler while you lot were still shitting your pants.

Trump has done more to harm this planet than any other person in history. The only solace he could give anyone is if he decided to blow his brains out.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 01:15 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Ugh. I’m always more horrified by the embarrassment of his trips to Britain than others. What kernels of wisdom will he share with May on Brexit? Maybe he’ll have solace for Queen Elizabeth—reassure her that he won’t let her little garden sink into the sea.

Clues to aid with comprehension.

“The UK is a bit more than a little garden. We stood up to Hitler...”
Precisely why I felt the meaning would be immediately apparent.
izzythepush

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 01:20 am
@Lash,
Highlighting the derogatory term you use to describe UK doesn't change anything.

My comprehension is not the issue here. At least have the courage to stand by your own words instead of claiming they mean something else. How could little garden be interpreted as anything other than an insult?
izzythepush

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 01:21 am
Quote:
The White House has refused to meet an extended deadline to deliver President Trump's tax returns to Congress.

House Ways and Means Committee chairman Richard Neal had said failure to comply with the 23 April deadline would be interpreted as a denial of request.

Mr Trump says he does not want his information disclosed and will not release his tax returns while under audit.

Democrats have warned that legal action could follow.

"The president is pretty clear: Once he's out of audit, he will think about doing it," White House Deputy Press Secretary Hogan Gidley told Fox News on Tuesday.

"He's not inclined to do so at this time."

The IRS has previously said that he could release the returns even if they were under audit.

Mr Neal had initially given the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) until April 10 to turn over Mr Trump's personal tax returns, and those of several entities connected to the president, for 2013 through to 2018.

The deadline was extended to April 23 after the Trump administration failed to comply.

Most presidents have turned over their tax returns since the 1970s even though it is not required by law.

One of Mr Trump's top aides said this month that the Democrats would "never" see his tax returns. Republicans have called the request an overreach of confidential taxpayer data.

The US Treasury Department said it was reviewing Mr Neal's request and consulting with the Justice Department, and that there were "serious constitutional questions" related to the request.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has told Mr Neal that the department would make a final decision by 6 May on whether or not to comply.

Democrats have warned that legal action, such as a subpoena of financial data, could follow if the president does not comply, a move that could lead to a lengthy battle in the courts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48034682
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 01:23 am
@izzythepush,
It is from Trump’s viewpoint. Are you trying to pretend the first sentence isn’t there?

Or just bullshitting for the hell of it.
glitterbag

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 01:27 am
@Lash,
You may need to elaborate......this last post of yours is muddy and somewhat incoherent.

I actually attempted to read Bamford's first crappy novel, The Puzzle Palace, I made it thru the first 80 or 90 pages before I shi#canned it. The only thing I got from his writing was a severe worry that maybe our analysis was as faulty as his. I'm not sure if you remember I worked for NSA, but really 'who cares what you think', my job was to provide the best info possible (pro and con) to decision makers (as was all our jobs).......Thankfully, history has proven we were accurate and Bamford is a fraud. He was a well meaning fraud, but a fraud....

0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 02:37 am
@Lash,
You've disparaged Trump, but despite that it still sounds like your viewpoint, albeit one that Trump may share.

Don't worry about Liz, she's used to you electing a moron to the Whitehouse, Reagan, Dubya and now Trump.
0 Replies