monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
Lash

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 07:25 am
@oralloy,
If I’m not mistaken, Clinton was impeached for obstruction, just not removed.
revelette1

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 07:30 am
@Real Music,
Reminds me of when my daughters got caught out in a lie to their dad, they just going round and about in circles too. She should quit.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 07:39 am
@Lash,
Well, in lawyer speak, technically he did not lie because in the Paula Jones case, that kind of sex was not defined as sex. But in real terms, yes he lied. He lied about sex and tried to cover his lies by using over sophisticated language, such as "depends on what the meaning of is, is. However, in the end, he did admit to the people he mislead (which technically is what he did) the American people concerning his relationship with Lewinski. He pleaded out, lost his license, got impeached. He paid his dues.

Trump will never have to pay his dues nor will he admit to doing any wrong. And his lying is more important because he interfered with an investigation concerning security matters as opposed to consensual sex.
revelette1

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 07:41 am
@Lash,
I doubt it will be in the eyes of the public.
revelette1

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 07:52 am
Quote:
Sarah Sanders keeps digging herself in deeper after Mueller showed she lied
The press secretary is now lying about lies.

Press secretary Sarah Sanders was caught lying several times in special counsel Robert Mueller’s report, and now she’s defending herself with more misdirections.

During a string of media appearances following the release of the Mueller report on Thursday, Sanders has faced questions about a claim she made during a May 2017 press briefing that she later admitted was false during testimony to Mueller’s team. In an attempt to justify President Donald Trump’s decision to fire then FBI director James Comey, Sanders told reporters that “countless members of the FBI” had contacted her to say they had lost confidence in Comey, when in fact that wasn’t the case.

On Thursday evening and Friday morning, Sanders repeatedly downplayed that lie as a mere “slip of the tongue.” But as ABC’s George Stephanopoulos pointed out to her in an interview on Friday morning, she used the line about “countless members of the FBI” multiple times in the days following Comey’s firing — a revelation undercutting her claim that she merely misspoke.

“You said it was a ‘slip of the tongue’ when you talked about ‘countless FBI members,’ yet you repeated it twice the very next day,” Stephanopoulos said. “That’s not a slip of the tongue, Sarah, that’s a deliberate false statement.”

Sanders, however, refused to own it, and bizarrely blamed her lie on Democrats.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t a robot like the Democratic Party that went out for two-and-a-half years and stated time and time again that there was definitely Russian collusion between the president and his campaign, that they had evidence to show it, and that the president and his team deserved to be in jail,” she said. “That he shouldn’t be in office, when really they were the ones that were creating the greatest scandal in the history of our country.”

The idea behind Sanders’s lie was to provide a rationale for Comey’s firing that had nothing to do with President Donald Trump’s frustrations about the Russia investigation, and thereby allowed him to deny he was trying to obstruct the FBI’s active investigation of his campaign.

Even at the time, Sanders’s claim was implausible. It was almost immediately contradicted during congressional testimony by Comey’s successor, Andrew McCabe, and reporters made it clear during a press briefing following McCabe’s testimony that they didn’t buy what she was telling them.

When it came time for Sanders to offer testimony to Mueller’s team, she admitted her statement about the FBI rank and file not being fans of Comey actually “was not founded on anything.” But now that she’s no longer under oath, she’s making a tortured attempt to walk it back.

As Stephanopoulos noted during his interview of Sanders on Friday, the “culture of lying” that emerges from the Mueller report goes beyond Sanders: It began with Trump himself.

Mueller’s report indicates that Trump lied about about a range of topics, from Trump Tower Moscow (Trump said he had no business dealings in Russia on the campaign trail even as the Trump Organization pursued a lucrative real estate deal there) to his role in Comey’s firing (Trump asked McGahn to say he never directed him to fire Comey when in fact he had).

Mueller’s team wasn’t afforded the opportunity to interview Trump. So while Sanders may have been compelled into telling the truth for once, Trump still hasn’t been.

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/19/18507639/sarah-sanders-george-stephanopoulos-mueller-report-lie-comey

0 Replies

hightor

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 07:52 am
@Lash,
For christ's sake, will you stop misinterpreting and misquoting me so that you can score your own personal political points on your own personal scorecard. I don't have an argument with you. I stated my fascination with Sanders as a lying evangelical. I never said I was "shocked" nor did I ever characterize her lies as "bold". I'm not defending Clinton or trying to make him out as innocent, nor am I defining "sexual relations" — I provided his stated rationale for his words after calling him "sleazy" because they illustrate his greasiness.
Quote:
Is it shocking?

No one should be shocked by political lies. That doesn't mean the quality and frequency of the lies are without interest or significance.
Quote:
You partisan hacks need to be real.

Where have I shown myself to be a "partisan hack"? How am I not being "real"?
revelette1

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 08:03 am
@hightor,
True, hightor, you are not a partisan hack. I am probably considered around here to be the most partisan hack. I don't consider myself to be, but I admit to always having a soft spot for Bill Clinton even though I saw his faults as well as anyone. He was just stupid to have fallen into the trap of Monica Lewinsky and then thought he could sophisticate his way through it. Most people saw through it, but forgave him anyway and I am one of them.

Obama on the other hand, I never though had those same faults as Clinton. If he had one fault, it was often a too willing hand to let bygones be bygones and I don't think he did enough to bring justice to some of "terrorist" prisoners. Guess that is two, probably more but they are not character faults like Clinton had.
hightor

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 08:04 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
However, in the end, he did admit to the people he mislead (which technically is what he did) the American people concerning his relationship with Lewinski.

His consensual affair was actually nobody's business — it wasn't wise, it wasn't honest, and it wasn't illegal. It was, however, a gift to his political enemies.
revelette1

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 08:05 am
@hightor,
Agreed, probably why the rumor of Hillary having a massive fit about it was true. It was just stupid.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 09:07 am
@hightor,
He used the office of the presidency to coerce a couple of people to lie to a Grand Jury. I don’t give a **** what the lie was about.

It was wrong and ILLEGAL.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 09:13 am
@hightor,
You’re an apologist for establishment democrats. I always know when you’ll throw up an excuse for some cretin. You never go against type.

Btw, fascinating:

fas·ci·nat·ing

adjective
extremely interesting.
"fascinating facts"
synonyms: engrossing, captivating, absorbing, interesting, enchanting, beguiling, bewitching, enthralling, enrapturing, entrancing, spellbinding, transfixing, riveting, mesmerizing, hypnotizing, engaging, compelling, compulsive, gripping, thrilling;

If you are ‘fascinated’, ‘shocked’ is an appropriate synonym.

You were bewitched! Enthralled!! HYPNOTIZED!!!
oralloy

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 09:13 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
If I’m not mistaken, Clinton was impeached for obstruction, just not removed.

Which amounts to letting him off the hook.
oralloy

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 09:15 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Well, in lawyer speak, technically he did not lie because in the Paula Jones case, that kind of sex was not defined as sex.

That is incorrect. Bill Clinton lied under oath in the legal technical sense, both in the civil lawsuit and in front of the grand jury.

revelette1 wrote:
He pleaded out, lost his license, got impeached. He paid his dues.

If losing his law license is a satisfactory penalty for multiple counts of obstruction and conspiracy to obstruct, then we can apply the same penalty to Trump if it ever transpires that he committed the same crime.

revelette1 wrote:
Trump will never have to pay his dues nor will he admit to doing any wrong.

And rightly so, since he did nothing wrong.

revelette1 wrote:
And his lying is more important because he interfered with an investigation concerning security matters as opposed to consensual sex.

That is wrong on both counts. This witch hunt is not about national security matters. It is just intended to harm people who do not agree with Democrats.

And Bill Clinton's sexual harassment of Paula Jones was in no way consensual.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 09:16 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Most people saw through it, but forgave him anyway and I am one of them.

So then it is OK for America to forgive Trump too, if it is ever proven that he did anything wrong.

revelette1 wrote:
I don't think he did enough to bring justice to some of "terrorist" prisoners.

Do you mean when Obama freed people from Guantanamo and they turned around and tried to murder more Americans?
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 09:17 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
His consensual affair was actually nobody's business

The law says otherwise. It was relevant material in the sexual harassment lawsuit against him.

hightor wrote:
it wasn't wise, it wasn't honest, and it wasn't illegal. It was, however, a gift to his political enemies.

So leftists think that it is OK for politicians to have sex with young interns?

Beware of letting kids intern for leftist politicians.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 09:35 am
@oralloy,
He lost the right to practice law... of course, now that he has a pipeline to billions, I guess that doesn’t denote a real loss.
oralloy

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 09:38 am
@Lash,
He lost his law license for only five years I think.

If anything is ever proven against Trump, an appropriate penalty would be to strip him of any law licenses for five years.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 09:39 am
@revelette1,
The public assumes the position to cover for the lies and corruption of their favorite political establishment. That’s how trump became president.

He’s well deserved by both ‘sides’.

revelette1

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 10:19 am
@Lash,
You are probably right, I really never paid attention to that end of the Monica/Bill Clinton saga. If there was substantial evidence Bill Clinton tried to influence witnesses, then he should have been charged with obstruction of justice after leaving office. Why wasn't he? I honestly want to know, not defending or anything.

Regardless though, the subject matter is way more serious with Trump as involved Russia meddling, hacking and propaganda. Those are serious issues.