monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Olivier5

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 12:46 pm
@revelette1,
No one was hurt. The two main towers may hold, and some of the walls maybe. It's a big fire, with lots of very dry wood... They cut an entire forest to do the roof structure, 700 years ago.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 01:05 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Fingers crossed for you guys getting a great PM...
...named Corbyn.

Let's hope he doesn't lead the UK to war against the US and Israel.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 01:07 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
if anyone on here is a bot, it's the critter that keeps mentioning its IQ...

I'm going to assume that this is directed at me. I don't actually bring up my superior intelligence at all. I only set the record straight when other people make untrue statements about my intelligence.

Calling me a bot is silly. I realize that the left really really REALLY hates facts and logic. But come on, be serious.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 01:09 pm
@Brand X,
@RobertMackey wrote:
Trump’s false claim Ilhan Omar forgot what happened on 9/11 reminds us that his own memory of that day is clouded by delusion. He recalls an event that never existed outside his imagination: “thousands and thousands” of Muslims cheering as the towers fell

No delusion. It is safe to assume that the thousands and thousands of celebrating Palestinians were Muslims.

I do realize that there are a few other religions among the Palestinians. But by and large they are Muslims.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 01:38 pm
@Olivier5,
Trump doesn't know what the job of president entails which is why instead of offering support and sympathy he comes up with crackpot notions like a kid at school.

Do you think the Whitehouse employs someone specifically to tell the president why his latest idea is as stupid and impractical as all the others? The people fighting the fire in Paris are experts unlike the orange jelly baby in the Oval Office.
blatham

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 01:58 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Trump doesn't know what the job of president entails which is why instead of offering support and sympathy he comes up with crackpot notions like a kid at school.
That is just one further example out of thousands where Trump puts himself at the center. "I know more than the generals/economists/forest fire experts/scientists/the US intelligence agencies, etc etc" That he's a pathological narcissist is the most obvious aspect of the man.
revelette1

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 02:21 pm
@Olivier5,
I am glad no one was hurt. I hope the Cathedral can be rebuilt, perhaps with materials other than wood, as it seems such an important part of Paris. I hope they don't just give it up as a lost cause, more trouble than it is worth. It would be a shame.
oralloy

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:29 pm
@revelette1,
It'll be hard to replace all of the incredibly-intricately carved woodwork from all of those medieval craftsmen.

Although perhaps if there has been high resolution documentation of all the woodwork it might be replicated.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:30 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
izzythepush wrote:
Do you think the Whitehouse employs someone specifically to tell the president why his latest idea is as stupid and impractical as all the others? The people fighting the fire in Paris are experts unlike the orange jelly baby in the Oval Office.

That is just one further example out of thousands where Trump puts himself at the center. "I know more than the generals/economists/forest fire experts/scientists/the US intelligence agencies, etc etc" That he's a pathological narcissist is the most obvious aspect of the man.

Leftists are disgusting in so many ways that it is hard to rank their worst aspects.

But the way that leftists take advantage of horrible tragedies to attack people who don't share in their delusional ideology has to be a contender for one of the left's most disgusting traits.
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:56 pm
Notre Dame fire: The structure of the cathedral has been saved, police chief says

glitterbag

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 07:36 pm
@revelette1,
It's been painful to watch that cathedral being destroyed.
blatham

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 08:17 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes. One of the most stunning buildings I've ever seen.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 08:19 pm
Draining the Swamp notes from all over
Quote:
Ex-lobbyist David Bernhardt was confirmed as Secretary of the Interior on Thursday, April 11. Today — Monday, April 15 — we learn he is under investigation by Interior’s Inspector General.

The New York Times reports today that Deputy IG Mary Kendall informed senators that she had received seven complaints alleging ethics violations from “a wide assortment of complainants.” They alleged “various conflicts of interest and other violations” by Bernhardt, Kendall said, and she had “opened an investigation to address them.”

Even by the standards of the Trump administration, a Cabinet secretary scoring an IG investigation in four days is pretty impressive.
TPM

Not that I mean to say Trump supporters are complete idiots, or anything.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 16 Apr, 2019 12:03 am
@revelette1,
Good link, Boss, the slide show at that site was impressive
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 16 Apr, 2019 12:23 am
@revelette1,
Of course we will rebuild it, probably with metalic beams instead of wood. It's gona take years and loads of money but that spike will rise again.

The main question now is how stable the structure is, and how to stabilize the parts that aren't. Also how did the fire start. Somebody screwed up...
Walter Hinteler

Tue 16 Apr, 2019 12:54 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
It's gona take years and loads of money but that spike will rise again.
The expression «On ne va pas attendre 107 ans» ("We won't wait 107 years") dates back to the time of the construction of Notre-Dame de Paris.
Olivier5

Tue 16 Apr, 2019 02:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Pas 107 ans, mais peut-être 7, ou 17. :-/

I'd like to see a glass roof, like they did for the Reichstag.
izzythepush

Tue 16 Apr, 2019 02:35 am
@Olivier5,
They were talking about this on R4 just now. Both Windsor Castle and York Minister suffered devastating fires, and they're both now restored. It can be done, and I'm sure it will.