monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Setanta

Sun 14 Apr, 2019 10:51 pm
For the relevant case law, see Davis versus the Federal Election Commission, 554 U.S. 724 (2008). In that decision, Mr. Justice Alito, writing for the majority, wrote: This Court has never upheld the constitutionality of a law that imposes different contribution limits for candidates competing against each other, and it agrees with Davis that this scheme impermissibly burdens his First Amendment right to spend his own money for campaign speech.

Plump never spends his own money, if he can avoid it, so I don't know if it would ever apply to him. It has been demonstrated that he's lying about being a billionaire, and campaigns cost a hell of a lot more than that, these days.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 12:24 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Baldimo wrote:
I think the anti-vax people are silly as well, but the question has to be asked, if we eradicated these diseases from the US, how have they returned?

Tourism, for one.

Since last fall, nearly 300 people, mostly children, have come down with measles in New York City, with the majority centered in the ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities in Williamsburg and Borough Park in Brooklyn.

The outbreak began when an unvaccinated child visited Israel, where thousands of people have been sick, contracted the disease, and came back to Brooklyn.

The health commissioner issued a mandate that yeshivas must keep unvaccinated children out of school.

"In January, one yeshiva in Williamsburg fell out of compliance with the Department's exclusion mandate, allowing unvaccinated children back into school or daycare," the Health Department said in a news release. "This single yeshiva is connected to more than 40 cases, resulting in a large increase in measles cases and the continuation of the outbreak."

Health officials have been urging New Yorkers to get their children vaccinated to stem the outbreak of measles, which is a highly contagious disease that can cause pneumonia, encephalitis, and death.

https://www.fox5ny.com/amp/news/nyc-yeshivas-closure-measles-outbreak
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 01:13 am
@Lash,
Our next pm with probably be another Tory. We don't have another general election due for another two or three years, and although the Tories could call one, or conceivably lose a vote of confidence I can't see it happening. May will not serve a full term mind, I'll give her another six months at the most.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 02:30 am
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:27 am
Quote:
Julian Assange used the Ecuadorean embassy in London as a "centre for spying", the country's leader has said.

Lenin Moreno also said no other nation had influenced the decision to revoke the WikiLeaks founder's asylum, which he said followed violations by Assange.

Speaking to the Guardian, President Moreno claimed Ecuador's old government provided facilities within the embassy "to interfere" with other states.

Assange's lawyer had earlier accused Ecuador of "outrageous allegations".

President Moreno - who came to power in 2017 - said of the decision to end Assange's seven-year stay in the embassy: "Any attempt to destabilise is a reprehensible act for Ecuador, because we are a sovereign nation and respectful of the politics of each country."

He added: "We can not allow our house, the house that opened its doors, to become a centre for spying."

The president also made references to Assange's apparently poor hygiene following allegations made by Ecuador's interior minister, Maria Paula Romo.

Assange's lawyer, Jennifer Robinson, disputed the claims when she appeared on Sky's Sophy Ridge On Sunday.

"I think the first thing to say is Ecuador has been making some pretty outrageous allegations over the past few days to justify what was an unlawful and extraordinary act in allowing British police to come inside an embassy," she said.

She added that Assange's fears of a US extradition threat were proved correct this week after allegations were made that he conspired to hack into a classified Pentagon computer.

Assange, 47, faces up to 12 months in prison after being found guilty of breaching his bail conditions when he entered the Ecuadorean embassy in 2012.

He made the move after losing his battle against extradition to Sweden where he faced allegations including rape.

Assange is now expected to fight extradition to the US over an allegation that he conspired with former army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning to break into a classified government computer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47927720
0 Replies

Brand X

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 04:34 am
@SeanLoveMD

'As I told @theintercept, doctors evaluating #Assange were under constant surveillance, a violation of the doctor-patient relationship, and the British government, ignoring appeals by @UNHumanRights, would not allow him safe passage to a hospital.'
0 Replies

Builder

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 04:51 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Yet, not one of these facts nor the overwhelming strength of all of them together tipped you off that any further comment from you would be preposterous.

Starting to wonder if we're dealing with bots here.

The answers are deadpan, and discussions on repeat.
Region Philbis

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 05:25 am
@Builder,

if anyone on here is a bot, it's the critter that keeps mentioning its IQ...
Builder

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 05:28 am
@Region Philbis,
I'd have to agree 110 percent on that one.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 06:06 am
@izzythepush,
Indeed, I don't bother reading your posts, most of the times. Glad to see we agree on this one, though.
0 Replies

Brand X

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 07:13 am
@RobertMackey

'Trump’s false claim Ilhan Omar forgot what happened on 9/11 reminds us that his own memory of that day is clouded by delusion. He recalls an event that never existed outside his imagination: “thousands and thousands” of Muslims cheering as the towers fell'
revelette1

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 07:38 am
Excuse and pardon me ahead of time, but I don't go to sport pages. I am so glad Tiger Woods won the 5th Masters Title. I hated to see him lose again and again. Not that I watch golf...
BillRM

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 08:01 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Excuse and pardon me ahead of time, but I don't go to sport pages. I am so glad Tiger Woods won the 5th Masters Title. I hated to see him lose again and again. Not that I watch golf...
in

What I do not understand is why the hell he took such a large hit for the 'crime' of cheating not at golf but on his wife in the first place.

If I had been him I would had told the complainers to get the hell out of my private life.

Once more it is strange very strange given how other public persons had behavior without taking any public hit for doing so.
revelette1

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 08:08 am
@BillRM,
I know we shouldn't talk about this here, so I won't after this, but I think it is because everyone (or most) just loved him so and hated to see him down off his pedestal. Unlike some others you referred to, the bad press must have gotten to him and affected his game. Just speculating.
blatham

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 08:37 am
@revelette1,
Since the point where Tiger became National Inquirer fodder, he's had serious physical problems and a number of back surgeries. I'm sure that media debacle effected his focus and his emotional well-being (not to mention millions lost in sponsorship contracts).

But the scandal was a media event. I'm a golfer and I know lots of other folks who are as well but I know of no one who lost affinity for the fellow nor lost respect for what he has accomplished as an athlete. When wealthy celebrities and sex stories combine, it's the perfect recipe for media entities to gain clicks, eyeballs and increased sales. That's why they do what they do.

Why the broad public respond to such stories as they do has, I think, something to do with the sexual element and a sort of pleasure at seeing privileged people at the top getting cut down "to size". It's the nasty end of desire for equality - the resentment towards those more fortunate.
0 Replies

Brand X

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 08:56 am
@MaxBlumenthal

Western media has uncritically reported every absurd excuse Lenin Moreno has offered for expelling Julian Assange from Ecuador’s embassy. Meanwhile, the massive corruption and voter fraud scandals he’s facing have been mostly ignored. https://thegrayzone.com/2019/04/14/lenin-moreno-julian-assange-wikileaks-ecuador/ … via @DenisRogatyuk'

'Desperate to ingratiate his government with Washington and distract the public from his mounting scandals, Ecuadorian President Lenin Moreno has sacrificed Julian Assange – and his country’s independence
By Denis Rogatyuk'

https://thegrayzone.com/2019/04/14/lenin-moreno-julian-assange-wikileaks-ecuador/
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 12:19 pm
Two very different tweets by two very different presidents about the terrible fire at the cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/KcQahgk.jpg

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/CKDaU13.jpg
revelette1

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 12:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Can you translate?

Horrible, I hope no one was hurt and the Cathedral can be saved.
Brand X

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 12:37 pm
@revelette1,
There's been ongoing construction work in side and a fire was started accidentally, now the tower has collapsed.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 12:42 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
They can't water bomb it, it'd be the end of it.