monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 07:39 am
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

No link, but it is an AP story just like the following story is.

International News
Iraqi forces discover chemical warfare agent in Mosul

There have been WMDs in Iraq all along, GWB was correct.
Just out of curiosity: what do GWB's WMDs in Iraq have to do with today's Islamic State's mustard chemical warfare agent?
Frugal1

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 07:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Not much, that's why I deleted that comment & edited my post.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 07:46 am
Marches & Protesting
One group follows the MLK example, the other is just a mob.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3Quq9MXUAAhI01.jpg:large
0 Replies

layman

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 07:47 am
@Frugal1,
I see...

Quote:
several scientists — concerned about the new president's policies on climate change...were discussing the best way to respond to what they feared would be an administration hostile to science....

Weinberg said: “Slashing funding.. cannot be allowed to stand as policy.”

They're worried about getting their handouts reduced, eh? Like, whooda thunk, I ask ya?
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 07:53 am
This is from the New Yorker piece on Bannon I noted/linked up above.
Quote:
Another reason not to despair is Trump himself. During his first week in office, he was the person who did most to undermine his credibility and authority. By repeatedly saying things that weren’t true, or even nearly true—that his Inauguration drew the biggest audience ever; that he would have won the popular vote but for enormous voter fraud—he invited criticism and ridicule, which duly poured down upon him. Perhaps his ravings didn’t do him much damage among his core supporters: they tend to cheer anything he says. But the impetuous behavior unnerved Republicans on Capitol Hill, some of Trump’s business supporters, and, judging by the steady stream of leaks to reporters, even some of his own staff and appointees. On Friday, Brian Beutler, of The New Republic, pointed out that, in the past few days, the Times, the Washington Post, and Politico have all published stories “sourced to the White House—portraying Trump as a fragile, erratic, television-obsessed snowflake.”

I'd read that coverage but didn't note it here at the time because the "insider" comments were anonymous. Of course, that's the only way such comments and reporting would and do happen - it's a necessary aspect of political reporting, particularly at this level and with an administration so concerned with image. But it was part of what got me thinking about what I see as a growing impetus for the GOP establishment to conclude they'll have to find some way to get rid of Trump more quickly than they might otherwise have hoped.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:02 am
America is loving Trump's presidency, and the positive effects it is having.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:25 am
Mattis is now apparently willing to stand by and watch Trump sign order which previously he described as follows:
Quote:
General James Mattis, the former commander of the U.S. Central Command who oversaw all operations involving 200,000-plus American military personnel in the Middle East and South-Central Asia from 2010-2013, told POLITICO this week that he considers Trump’s assessment of NATO as “obsolete" to be "kooky."

Regarding Trump’s contention that U.S. allies are not paying their “fair share” of costs to support the alliance, Mattis called the claim “about as kooky as [if] a president were to call our allies freeloaders.”

...On Trump’s call for a ban on Muslim immigrants, Mattis — who rarely gives media interviews — was also sharply critical, saying that such talk prompts U.S. allies to think “we have lost faith in reason.”

Asked about the reaction in the Middle East to Trump’s suggestion, Mattis said, “They think we’ve completely lost it. This kind of thing is causing us great damage right now, and it’s sending shock waves through this international system.“
Politico
So what the hell is going on? Maybe Mattis, like others, presumes that they can keep this lunatic in check and maybe even have signed on specifically (or in part) to do exactly that. God knows.
Frugal1

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:27 am
@blatham,
Haven't they heard, the lunatic moved out last week... O-boy is gone!
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:52 am
Quote:
Charles P. Pierce ‏@CharlesPPierce 9h9 hours ago
This is not Trump. This is the logical
end of 40 years of Republican politics.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:55 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Fun times in Mississippi.

Emmett Till, a 14 year old black youth, was lynched by some white guys after a woman said he'd been menacing and sexually crude to her, and then those white fellows were exonerated by an all-white, all-male jury. Now, that woman reveals that what she said wasn't even true
NYT

Way to be relevant blather... you're such an anachronism.

What next... A news flash that southern plantation owners have slaves picking cotton?
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:57 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Quote:
monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events...

Anybody else here been reading the news for the last five or six days??

I mean, WOW!!!!! is this a great time to be alive or what. I've lost count. First week of a four year presidential term the guy has, minimally:

• ****-canned the entire upper management echelon of our rogue state department.
  • Begun the process of bringing the EPA to heel. News reports say those cretins are coming to work in tears every morning; freezes EPA grants and contracts.
  • Started the process of creating a wall to our South (sort of like the wall Mexico has to keep assholes from Guatamala from flooding into Mexico).
  • Shut down Bork Obunga's parting attempt at a 221M gift to the palisavages.
  • Prioritized Christian refugees for immigration as of now.
  • Stopped immigration from the half dozen muslim states responsible for the worst immigrant behavior problems.
  • Locks CNN out of white house news.
  • Invites Alex Jones to all future white house press briefings.
  • Establishes weekly list of crimes committed by illegal aliens in "sanctuary cities" i.e. in cities in which criminal democrat political machines have sought to legalize the importation of illegal voting blocks for themselves.
  • Completely turns the US military loose on ISIS.

It's dizzying. I assume also that the democrat/neotard drive for a major with Russia has been stopped.

I mean, does this guy know how to sock it to the libtards or what!!!!!

Puts a smile on my face everyday. I haven't been this excited about politics since Ronald Reagan. And the best part is that the mainstream media is being marginalized.
0 Replies

blatham

Quote:
Paul RyanVerified account
‏@SpeakerRyan
A religious test for entering our country is not reflective of America's fundamental values. I reject it.

How long can these sleezy bastards like Ryan keep this con going?
0 Replies

ehBeth

@Frugal1,
For anyone who's been wondering , The Associated Press of apnews is not the same Associated Press of ap.org.

apnews is a fake news site. ap.org is not.
giujohn

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:58 am
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

I hope this meeting is televised, it should be hilarious.
Man cause climate change / global warming is a HOAX on the sheeple.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3QexkoWIAASImL.jpg:large

As Sheldon Cooper would say... Engineers are not scientists they're just glorified mechanics.( Bill Nye the Science Guy)
Frugal1

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 09:00 am
@giujohn,
Whenever someone tells me they're an Engineer, I ask them 'what railroad'?
giujohn

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 09:02 am
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

Whenever someone tells me they're an Engineer, I ask them 'what railroad'?

Good one Frug.
Choo choo!
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 09:14 am
NY Times subscribers and audience now at an all time high.

Thanks Trump and GOP.
Frugal1

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 09:20 am
@blatham,
American exceptionalism is on the rise.

Thanks Trump and GOP.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 09:43 am
That line really works: CALL TRUMP’S WHITE HOUSE INC. TODAY!. Very Happy
Frugal1

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 09:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Alt news?

Quote:
That line really works: CALL TRUMP’S WHITE HOUSE INC. TODAY!.
0 Replies