monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 05:46 am
@blatham,
Well, the press should keep its mouth shut.

History proves why totalitarian governments are such implacable enemies of the press, and why, when coming to power, their leaders have been so quick to impose strict censorship and criminalize dissent.
Today is Holocaust Remembrance Day.
edgarblythe

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 05:54 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Blatham avoids this by being rude and obnoxious to smart non-liberals and then putting them on ignore.
sort of what you are doing ??

You guy. You ont realize how you cn be interchangeable . Im thinking of a real third pqrty because my DEMS and your GOPers hqve bought the same pqcket of kool aid.

HOLY ****< IM writing that I agree with LASH

The best solution in my view would be for liberals (progressives) to take over the Democratic Party, which the Young Turks and others are attempting to orchestrate.
blatham

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 06:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes. And to make it worse, the guy who said the media should shut up, Bannon, has a big media operation in the US and is now expanding it into Europe. So he has no intention of shutting up. He just wants to go full Pravda where his preferred sort of voice is loud and pervasive and other voices are suppressed.

He's a fine american. A patriot.
blatham

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 06:19 am
Let us remind ourselves...
Quote:
When a president demands an investigation of voter fraud, what could go wrong?

Based on recent history, a lot.

Little more than a decade ago, the Justice Department made investigating and prosecuting voter fraud a major priority. When top prosecutors failed to find the misconduct and refused to make partisan prosecutions, they were fired. In the fallout, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales was forced to resign in the biggest Justice Department scandal since Watergate.

It seems like an odd bit of history to try to repeat — unless the goal is to clear the path for voter suppression.
NYT
Quote:
David Iglesias, a conservative Republican, was the United States attorney in New Mexico. Local Republicans became angry that he refused to bring corruption cases against Democrats. Shortly after the 2006 election he was dismissed. In his book “In Justice: Inside the Scandal That Rocked the Bush Administration,” Mr. Iglesias summed up his experience: “First would come the spurious allegations of voter fraud, then unvarnished legal manipulations to sway elections, followed by a rigorous insistence on unquestioned and absolute obedience and, finally, a phone call from out of the blue.”
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 06:31 am
For modern Republicans, bloated government spending is a terribly, bad, awful, irresponsible and inevitably nation-threatening act. Unless they are doing it.
Quote:
Republican lawmakers appear more than ready to open up the coffers for a $12 billion to $15 billion border wall, perhaps without the commensurate spending cuts that they demanded when it came to disaster aid, money to fight the Zika virus or funds for the tainted water system in Flint, Mich. They also seem to back a swelling of the federal payroll that Mr. Trump has called for in the form of a larger military and 5,000 more border patrol agents.
NYT
I trust we all understand how this con works?
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 06:47 am
I can't figure out why this man is considered to be a pathological narcissist. There's really no evidence to support the silly idea.
Quote:
On the morning after Donald Trump’s inauguration, acting National Park Service director Michael T. Reynolds received an extraordinary summons: The new president wanted to talk to him.

In a Saturday phone call, Trump personally ordered Reynolds to produce additional photographs of the previous day’s crowds on the Mall, according to three individuals who have knowledge of the conversation. The president believed that the photos might prove that the media had lied in reporting that attendance had been no better than average.

Trump also expressed anger over a retweet sent from the agency’s account, in which side-by-side photographs showed far fewer people at his swearing-in than had shown up to see Barack Obama’s inauguration in 2009.
WP
0 Replies

Frugal1

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 06:59 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3LUkKjVUAAZoWZ.jpg:large
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 08:17 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The best solution in my view would be for liberals (progressives) to take over the Democratic Party...

Why not the Republican Party?
blatham

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 08:33 am
As we've learned over the last few days, US taxpayers are going to be stiffed for 12-15 billion for a wall on the southern border (even if anyone with a functioning brain stem knew that if a wall was built, that would be the situation). But as Trump always promised Mexico would pay, and as taxing is an ideological profanity on the right, this isn't a good news story to be floating around. So, how do these horrible humans now in charge deal with that?

The first propaganda thrust from Conway appeared in the last two days - "America has the duty to protect itself". Or in standard English, if you don't support paying for this wall, you're not on the side of patriotism.

The second came from Ryan. "It depends how you define payment".

Now this one:
Quote:
“Well they don't want it, Gayle, because they want to continue to allow people and I assume drugs, since they’re not doing much to stop that, pouring over our borders,”
Politico
Again, if you don't support this wall, you are complicit in the drug trade and the opposite of a patriot. Also, the Mexican government is so evil, they want drugs to flow into the US. Sad.

These people are the ugliest crop of ugly I've ever seen in government. Aside from the lies, distractions and innuendo above, a wall won't stop drugs. And the flow of drugs exists and continues not because of the Mexican government's evil plans but because of the demand by American citizens for drugs.
Frugal1

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 08:35 am
I don't believe that I have every witnessed this much liberal angst before, it's kind of funny & entertaining.
blatham

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 08:39 am
Putin and Trump will likely have a nice phone chat today. Aren't you just on the edge of your seat waiting to hear from Trump how wonderful the conversation went and how amazing Putin is and how they'll work together to make the world great again. i am. I'm pretty sure this is going to be the most amazing international phone conversation that two world leaders have ever had in the history of the world. Smart, so smart.
Frugal1

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 08:47 am
@edgarblythe,
liberal progressive democrats are all found in the same petrified pile of excrement.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 08:53 am
Trump (reading from a telepromter! oh my god!) said that he and the Mexican president agreed to cancel their planned meeting (uh...I don't think that's how it went down, Donald) and he added (I love this bit)
Quote:
"...unless Mexico is going to treat America fairly, with respect..."
Politico
- immigrants from Mexico are rapists and criminals, bringing drugs
- mexicans coming in are killers and rapists
- the Mexican government "sends the bad ones" to the US
- "Happy #CincoDeMayo! The best taco bowls are made in Trump Tower Grill. I love Hispanics!"
- Judge Curiel can't be objective because "He's a Mexican"
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 09:20 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The stock market is a reflection of our economy and our faith in it. I have faith in the US economy, because that's all we can depend on for our standard of living. Our economy is pretty stable, because our economy is made up of many different products and services. Many countries rely on just a few, and they're at the mercy of high demand for them.
In today's world, the economies of all countries are dependent on the other. That's the reason free trade benefits everybody.

Working and saving for the future is something not everybody learns. That's one of the weakness of public education; they don't teach fiscal management.

Even today, most Americans do not save enough for retirement; the majority depend on social security as their only means of income. The average savings for 60 year olds is about $172,000. Hardly enough to continue living at their current standard of living in retirement - especially in communities with high cost of living such as in Silicon Valley where we live.

We are saved from the fact that I paid off our mortgage in the year I retired. Since then, the cost of housing has mushroomed.

I'm sure you know this CI but for the benefit of others, the DOW Jones index is absolutely GARBAGE and should for all intents in purposes be completely ignored.

The S&P500 is a much better indicator of how the economy is doing. It's also going up BTW.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 09:24 am
There's no way that Trump and Bannon are in any way complicit in this sort of thing.
Quote:
Per a statement by Queens district attorney Richard A. Brown, a Kennedy International airport worker wearing a hijab was attacked by a man on Wednesday night who has since been charged with hate crimes.

Robin A. Rhodes, 57, of Worchester, Massachusetts, landed in J.F.K. from Aruba and was set to take a connecting flight to his home state. Upon seeing Rabeeya Khan, a Delta employee sitting in her office at the Delta Sky Lounge, he came to her door and reportedly stated, “Are you [expletive deleted] sleeping? Are you praying? What are you doing?”

From there, he became more aggressive:

Rhodes then allegedly punched the door, which hit the back of Ms. Khan’s chair. It is alleged that when Ms. Khan asked Rhodes what she did to him, he stated, “You did nothing but I am going to kick your [expletive deleted] ass. Rhodes then allegedly kicked Ms. Khan in the right leg. In an effort to get away, Ms. Khan moved in a corner of the office.
After Khan managed to run out of the office and to the front desk, Rhodes reportedly did not stop, choosing to chase after her, shouting about Islam and invoking President Donald Trump:
New York Mag
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 09:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
You have previously said the economy is all you care about. Of course we care about it, but it is not the only concern.
blatham

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 09:37 am
@ossobucotemp,
My god. It's Osso. I haven't seen you for, what? Like 250 years or so.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 09:50 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Putin and Trump will likely have a nice phone chat today .... Smart, so smart.

http://i68.tinypic.com/216hzr.jpg
blatham

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 09:52 am
Yesterday or day before I suggested that the GOP bigwigs (establishment, let's say) may well be beginning to realize that getting rid of Trump - somehow - might be a project they'll decide they need to set to and far more quickly than previously recognized. The perceived need would arise from recognition that Trump is going to cause serious damage to the party's electoral hopes in two years and in four and longer. If the shitshow continues, it tars everyone.

It's a very complicated business. His base is strong and loud and passionate and that poses a threat to overt attacks on Trump to the party generally and to anyone up for election sooner or later. And the GOP always tries to present an image of strong consensus (that's less confusing to people who are geared towards simplicity or black/white framing). And then there's the details of how removal might be encouraged or facilitated. So, electorally, there are risks in both directions. We're still very early in the administration and they'll play along for a while (they are getting much of what they've always wanted or it looks like they will) because that's the safest way to go. But there is the shitshow and it shows no signs of improving.

Edit: another obvious dilemma in this I should have noted is Trump himself. At this point, Ryan, McConnell and many others are commonly contradicting Trump's statements (eg on torture). They are trying to say, as subtly as possible, "Hey, we are not going to do crazy". But Trump being Trump, and feeling beset on all sides by people who don't recognize his perfect majesty and great bossness, won't handle much of that well. If he sniffs a move to get rid of him or even conversations going on about such a thing, how he might respond will not be predictable except in a general way. That presents a whole other set of potential bombs within the party and between party and base.

To get a good grasp on what I mean by "shitshow", read this brief but very smart take from Ed Kilgore NY Mag

0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Jan, 2017 09:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I think every highway in America, Canada, and Europe ought to have that buddy billboard up.

ps... it was photographed in Montenegro, not Russia (snopes) but it's comforting regardless.
0 Replies