monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

neptuneblue

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 05:53 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
The Democrats aren't going to like it very much when the Republicans do that back to them.

Been there, done that.

Trump can show up to deliver the State of the Union, but Pelosi could shut off the lights and keep out cameras
by Philip Klein
January 23, 2019 01:35 PM

In the latest twist in the ongoing saga over the State of the Union, President Trump on Wednesday wrote that he planned to ignore House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's disinvitation and proceed with delivering his speech on Jan. 29 "on time, on schedule, and very importantly, on location!”

So can Trump simply show up to the House of Representatives to deliver his speech? And if he does, can Pelosi just have security kick him out?

The answer is multi-layered.

Under the rules, declaring a formal joint session of Congress requires the agreement of both the House and Senate. Without Pelosi's consent, in other words, there can't be a joint session.

At the same time, however, as described by McClatchy, no rules would prevent Trump from entering the House chamber, or speaking on the House floor, whenever he wants. So he's perfectly within his powers to show up and deliver his speech.

That said, Pelosi, D-Calif., has other tools at her disposal to thwart Trump. She could shut off the lights, turn off the microphones, and also make sure that no cameras are allowed because the House won't be in session.

Both parties have done this to each other in the past.

In 2008, during her first term as speaker, Pelosi adjourned without allowing a vote Republicans wanted related to offshore drilling, shut off the lights, and cut off the microphones to block Republicans from complaining about it. Republicans refused to leave the floor and kept on talking anyway.

In 2016, Pelosi was on the opposite side of this sort of situation, when she joined Democrats in staging a sit-in after the Republican majority blocked gun control votes. Democrats remained on the floor in the dark after the House was put in recess and used social media to broadcast video from the protest.

A CNN report at the time noted, "At one point, a police officer told the Democrats that they would be conducting a daily security sweep. 'I'd ask that you clear the floor while that happens,' the officer said. Pelosi responded: 'That's not going to happen' and the security check then took place involving five agents and a dog as the House Democratic leader continued speaking, undeterred."

So, the way things are going, it's certainly easy to imagine something similar happening. For instance, Trump could show up and start tweeting out photos and videos of him from the House floor ready to deliver the speech and complaining that Pelosi is barring cameras and keeping it dark.

But, while there is some precedent for these sorts of games, it would take things to a new level if something like this were to take place involving the president arriving on Capitol Hill to deliver the State of the Union.

Trump and his team have now had time to discuss various responses to Pelosi's letter, including the possibility of delivering the speech from the White House, the Senate, or another location. He may have reached the conclusion that simply showing up is a win-win. In this way of thinking, if Pelosi relents, it makes him look like a stronger leader who stared down Pelosi and won. If she pursues some of the strategies above to thwart him, it could potentially backfire and start to make her look like the unreasonable party.

Of course, none of this, in the end, will bring lawmakers any closer to resolving the border wall impasse that has led to the government shutdown.
gungasnake

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 05:56 pm
Last several day, real/legitimate native American spokespeople have been working to alert the nation that this Phillip Walking Eagle is a totally phony asshole grifter and an opportunist. News like that doesn't seem to ever filter into ltard/sflake lala land or the ltard/sflake corrupt media...
oralloy

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 05:59 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
Been there, done that.
Not exactly.

If Trump is prevented from delivering the State of the Union in the House Chamber, all future Democratic presidents can look forward to being blocked from delivering the State of the Union in the House Chamber whenever Republicans control the House.
oralloy

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 06:05 pm
@gungasnake,
Have you seen some of the tweets by the KKK girl that the leftists are embracing?

The tweets are so nasty that I can't even post them here.

Well, I assume I can't. I didn't try. But really they are that nasty.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 06:13 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
If Trump is prevented from delivering the State of the Union in the House Chamber, all future Democratic presidents can look forward to being blocked from delivering the State of the Union in the House Chamber whenever Republicans control the House.

Only if the government isn't open and security details haven't been paid in a month.
oralloy

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 06:21 pm
@neptuneblue,
No. If Trump is blocked from the State of the Union, then Democratic States of the Union are over for good, at least when Republicans control the House.
neptuneblue

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 06:27 pm
Maybe Trump should get with the program...

"The time has come to take action and help build a better future for us all. That’s why wind has never felt better. Budweiser is now brewed with 100% renewable electricity from wind power. "

neptuneblue

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 07:05 pm
@oralloy,
Ok, don't like Budweiser? Maybe you're a Lite fan instead. Hell, I don't know what Trumpers like. Except for BEER!!!!

oralloy

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 07:27 pm
@neptuneblue,
I hardly ever drink alcohol. Usually only a single beer on New Years Eve when the ball drops. But for the record I like Guinness Extra Stout.

There is a 4th of July weekend-long party out in the woods that I sometimes go to that is an interesting combination of alcohol (all kinds), guns, and powerful fireworks. I still have a scar on my arm from one of the times that I went when I was a kid. Sometimes I go as an adult and end up pretty drunk. That's probably the only time I'd ever drink more than one beer a year.

But it's been a few years since I've gone. I have a pretty expensive tent, and I'm always afraid it'll get wrecked with all the fireworks flying everywhere. So it's usually just one beer a year for me. And that's Guinness Extra Stout.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 07:28 pm
@oralloy,
Fine, I get it. You just need a little incentive. Well,

WHAT THE ALE! THIS BEER FEATURES TRUMP AND PUTIN ON THE CAN
GREG NAGEL | POSTED ONJANUARY 11, 2019

Putin on the fizz. Photo by Greg Nagel
When coming up with concept beers, sometimes inspiration comes by way of current events, and when your hop allotment includes varietals from three continents, blend them together—just to see if they all get along.

Bootlegger’s Brewery created an International Pale Ale called International Relations that’s West Coast-ish in style, with caricatures of a baggy-suited President Donald Trump and a shirtless Vladimir Putin high-fiving each other while riding an elephant and a bear, respectively.

“The can art idea was just a fun way of doing a caricature of current international events happening,” notes brewery owner Aaron Barkenhagen. “Since the hops are from other countries, we saw the opportunity for the tie-in.”

https://ocweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/PSX_20190101_190058-768x576.jpg

The art was done by Stan Endo, a local artist who has done most of Bootlegger’s art, including its logo.

I find it somewhat hilarious that a brewery would take a risk of alienating a percentage of its thin-skinned clientele by making a political statement. After all, beer is what brings the community together, and having Trump pooting around a beer-can label feels somewhat like a publicity stunt. (If you’re reading this, it worked.)

Beyond the label, the beer itself is delicious. At 6.8 percent, it drinks like a zesty-tropical pale ale. Pick up a few cans for the bomb shelter; you might need it.
oralloy

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 07:32 pm
@neptuneblue,
Incentive for what? Anyway, I suspect that Trump/Putin beer would be a big hit at the 4th of July party I mentioned. They'd probably think it was pretty funny. It's not replacing my Guinness Extra Stout though.
neptuneblue

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 07:41 pm
@oralloy,

0 Replies

neptuneblue

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 07:54 pm
@oralloy,
And then reality sets in...

Government Shutdown Affects Breweries
By DCBeer - January 2, 2019

TTB Govt Shutdown Notice
This article by Erika Goedrich is reprinted by permission from the Jan. 2, 2019 Craft Beer Cellar DC newsletter. You can subscribe to that newsletter here. During the shutdown they will be offering a 5% discount to furloughed federal employees (and contractors).

The partial shutdown of the U.S. government is running into its second week. With many friends, family, and co-workers currently furloughed, we see the impact here in DC more than many areas of the country.

Brewers around the country are also affected by the partial shutdown. The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau suspended all non-excepted operations.

We were wondering what this meant, so we went to our local brewery friends for some answers. Dave Coleman, President of 3 Stars Brewing Company, says, "TTB being closed means that no new beers or labels are currently being approved, which will put delays on new beers being released into our markets. I don't think we will see any impact on the importing of hops or malt since most of that stuff is already in the country as the hop harvest happened in the fall. All in all, not a great situation to say the least, so hopefully they can work around some of the issues that are standing in the way of our government actually conducting business."

Port City founder Bill Butcher concurs, "With the government shutdown, TTB won't be reviewing recipes or labels, which means that any packaged beer that still needs approval will have to be held until the Federal agency reopens." He is thankful that they already have approval for all the labels needed for the first quarter of 2019, like their 8th anniversary doppelbock COLOSSAL® 8. For that reason, they shouldn't have to adjust their release calendar any time soon. "However, many craft breweries who planned on working with a normal TTB approval timeline may have to push off release dates. And since we're not sure when TTB will reopen, it makes it that much more difficult to plan for new releases," he says.

Butcher explains that it also has downstream effects. "We work hard to get ahead of our business and this just wrecks our plans. If we can't get our new labels approved in a timely manner, then it affects our entire operation. It hurts our employees, our farmers who provide our grain, our hops suppliers, our label printers, our box manufacturers and ultimately our distributors, retailers, and beer drinkers. This is a failure of the government to do its job! Everyone suffers from the shutdown by slowing our business after we have busted our tails planning. It is inexcusable that this should happen."
coldjoint

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 08:19 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
And then reality sets in...

Trump doesn't drink.
neptuneblue

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 08:27 pm
@coldjoint,
Who said he did???

However, non essential government employees do have a great effect on how business functions. So, those of you who think there's not a pressing need to have the government functioning, this is an example.
coldjoint

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 08:37 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
non essential government employees do have a great effect on how business functions.

Illegal aliens kill people.
neptuneblue

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 08:41 pm
@coldjoint,
E.T. just wanted to phone home.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 10:40 pm
Quote:
Haters Won’t Stop With the Jews

It is not hard to figure that out.
Quote:
Ilhan Omar’s outrageous lies about the Covington Catholic boys, since deleted, illustrate an important lesson. Omar is a notorious anti-Semite; she goes so far as to advocate for the BDS movement. So, is it surprising that her venom has now been directed against Catholics?

Where are the Democrats calling her on this crap? I don't see any.
Quote:
Which brings us back to Ilhan Omar. Wittingly or not, she opens a window onto the real feelings of American Leftists. Which may seem paradoxical, since she herself is a Muslim. Do Leftists have a higher opinion of Islam than of Christianity or Judaism? Of course not. But for now, Muslims like Omar are useful idiots of the Left. There aren’t enough of them to be a threat, and they can be used as shock troops, attacking Jews and Christians. And, in any event, politicians like Omar are Leftists first and Muslims a distant second. They ignore Islamic teaching whenever it conflicts with Leftist dogma.

I disagree, and Islam thinks the Left are the useful idiots. And so far they (the Left) are doing a wonderful job at it.
https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2019/01/haters-wont-stop-with-the-jews-2.php?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=sw&utm_campaign=sw
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 02:15 am
@neptuneblue,
Budweiser isn't beer it's piss. I wouldn't even use it to cook with, it's terrible.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 02:36 am
@izzythepush,
When I was still drinking, I'd preferred Budweiser to the original Pilsner.
Budweiser Budvar ---Pilsner Urquell

In 1970, I'd been to two Bavarian pubs where the beer was brewed by brewmasters from Budweis, who fled there after the Soviet Invasion of Czechoslovakia. (In those days and still later, many pubs brew there own beers over a certain period in the local breweries.)