monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Frugal1

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 06:55 pm
http://truthfeed.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/trump-obama-palestine-money-009-01-800x416.jpg

Trump Stopped What’s His Name's $221 Million Payment From Going to Palestine
blatham

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 08:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Approx 13 months ago Obama sent in the Feds!

The DOJ Feds from the Civil Rights division spent over a year investigating the facts and determined that indeed, the charges of discrimination and brutality were accurate and guess what else?

Are you making the claim that Trump's threat is that he might send in JD officials to ascertain malpractice/racism/brutality in the policing of the city? If that is the case, I'd have no problem (given that prior efforts and subsequent directives had failed or failed to be implemented).

But I don't read the threat that way at all. To me it sounds much more like he's warning he will send in federal policing entities to reduce crime in mainly black communities.

You can clarify if you like.
blatham

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 09:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You've laid that out quite thoroughly. Let me take up a couple of things:

First, the inaugural attendance issue comes up regularly (contrasting photos) as do contrasts of marches. It's a shallow but easy way for media to speak to the subject of what people are thinking. And, if done fairly, it makes sense because consensus is how we operate in groups and in democracy.

This time it had a much sharper edge because of Trump's own behaviors and statements prior to the event. He had bragged (consistently) about the size of crowds at his rallys, and he had bragged about the size of his victory, and he had bragged about the singular magnificence of his "movement". All of these were questionable claims at best and commonly just flat out lies. And all of this was compounded by so many other instances where he'd made positively maniacal claims about himself (you've seen them listed). Further, he had previously placed himself firmly in opposition to factual coverage/criticism by the press by describing them (not right wing press) as "horrible people", "totally dishonest", etc. So this was a conflict he made inevitable. And he just made it worse by his statements/behavior after wards.

You say some friends found this conflict and the criticism by the media disagreeable and made them sympathetic to Trump. Quite possible. That's Trump's game here as it was in the campaign. Read Jay Rosen's piece if you haven't already.

You seem to suggest that the press is behaving as it is in order to get Trump worked up and to respond emotionally. They don't have to go to that trouble. He'll do it on his own where his narcissism isn't not satiated. Clearly you get this. But you are also still buying into his framing that the press is the main culprit in this contest because of bias, I guess.

You speak about the honeymoon that Clinton would have had with media had she won. Relative to Trump, sure. But it would have been so had Jeb won, or Rubio, or some other candidates. This isn't a case of press bias. If so, no GOP president would ever have had that "grace period".

But this presidency is unprecedented in this precisely because Trump himself is so abnormal. As I've said before, the number of senior GOP/conservatives who have been fighting to stop Trump is unprecedented as well. That can't be ignored.
blatham

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 09:45 pm
Paul Ryan on Mexico paying for the wall:
Quote:
"There are a lot of different ways of getting Mexico to contribute to doing this. And there are different ways of defining how exactly they pay for it."

They'll use alternate money.
cicerone imposter

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 09:59 pm
@blatham,
Alternate reality.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 10:02 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
But this presidency is unprecedented in this precisely because Trump himself is so abnormal. As I've said before, the number of senior GOP/conservatives who have been fighting to stop Trump is unprecedented as well. That can't be ignored.

You're right. Trump is abnormal. That can't be ignored. We must resist and demand his removal from office. See the following commentary:

The Resistance--Keith Olbermann

A plea to Trump fans: This man is dangerous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qdRyMgaR2g&index=2&list=PL0hKMB1-xkc-XWNf9VL-LxVYysdHpjyMF
layman

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 10:10 pm
@Debra Law,
Hahahahaha. Keith Olberman claiming that the entire country, and indeed, all of civilization itself, is in imminent danger of being destroyed by Trump, eh?

This inanity is supposed to be a rational, persuasive appeal to Trump supporters that will convince them to insist that Trump be removed from office RIGHT NOW!?

Ya talk about your "alternate facts," eh?

The left just continues to expose themselves as the mental pygmies that they are with this kinda tripe.

Carry on, cheese-eaters.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 10:29 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

We must resist and demand his removal from office.

Yeah, sho nuff. Just keep on DEMANDING there, eh, cheese-eaters? That will gitter done, no doubt.

You're already working hard to get Trump re-elected. Quite thoughtful of you. I doubt that even Trump himself has given it much thought at this point.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 10:31 pm
Look at this. It's Trump in an interview talking about illegitimate voters. First, his claim of 2-5 million fraudulent votes is just nuts. One assumes he is fully aware he's lying. If his advisers aren't talking him down from this claim, they are guilty of incredible malpractice as advisers or they are fine with the lie, seeing some advantage in it. Given that Kobach is one of his advisers here pretty much gives away the game (justifying much more aggressive voter purging/suppression steps nation-wide). Then there's the statement by Trump that the author of the Pew report his is badly mis-characterizing is now "grovelling" is total bullshit. But I want to point to something else.

Quote:
“We’re gonna launch an investigation to find out, and then the next time — and I will say this: Of those votes cast, none of them come to me. None of them come to me. They would all be for the other side. None of them come to me.”

This speech style is not something I or you have ever heard before from a politician, particularly a US president. In about five to seven seconds, he has repeated a sentence/phrase three times (along with a rephrase of the same notion in there as well). And he does this a LOT.

So what is going on here? Who else speaks like this? Why does he do this? What's the advantage or presumed advantage? It's fascinating to me.
layman

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 10:40 pm
@Frugal1,
Great news! That money can finance the wall until we get around to beating the money out of Mexico, eh?

0 Replies

RABEL222

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 10:55 pm
@blatham,
In ST. Louis the public radio station is going out of business because the government, congress, cut all its funds.
cicerone imposter

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 10:58 pm
@blatham,
Makes you wonder where Trump went to grade school.
blatham

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 11:03 pm
@RABEL222,
When did that happen? do you have a link?
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 11:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Makes you wonder where Trump went to grade school.

It does not sound like an educated person, certainly. It is a rejection of complexity and nuance. As farmerman and I were discussing this morning, the guy suffers from ADHD or something quite similar.

But such factors don't predictably produce repetition like we see in him so constantly.

Salesmen can and do speak this way, "This car is a beauty. A beauty. Look at this front end. Beautiful. And the interior. Look at those beautiful seats". And repetition is a common feature of religious exercises designed to produce a trance or semi-trance state. I think there's something in here working to shut down analytic or reasoning parts of the brain. A medical doctor or an author or a philosopher or an academic or a theologian won't speak this way. A drill sergeant or a bully or a fire and brimstone preacher often will.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 11:23 pm
Quote:
In fiscal year 2014, the U.S. government allocated $43.10 billion to foreign aid. The government channels about half of its economic assistance through a specialized agency, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).

81% of Americans felt that reducing aid to foreign countries was a good way to reduce the federal budget deficit, while 18% thought aid was more important than reducing deficit. Thomas Pogge, Director of the Global Justice Program and Leitner Professor of Philosophy and International Affairs at Yale University, has predicted that public opinion will not change even while the hardships suffered by poor people are rising, partly as a result of the Global Financial Crisis.

Trump will soon abolish USAID altogether.

America First, Baby!
0 Replies

Builder

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 11:24 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
You're right. Trump is abnormal. That can't be ignored. We must resist and demand his removal from office.

Neither candidate was fit for office. The DNC supported Trump's candidacy, to save money campaigning, after screwing over the people's choice in Sanders.

Time to acknowledge that the system is corrupted beyond repair, and create a new paradigm.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 11:25 pm
@roger,
Thank you roger. Very much appreciated.
blatham

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 11:27 pm
Hey, this is way cool.
Quote:
Mar-a-Lago membership fee doubles to $200,000
CNBC
Look. He's worked really hard, maybe harder than anyone who's ever run for office anywhere. And he's a winner. And he's doing everything for the people and sacrificing so much. So it's entirely fair that he gets huge financial windfalls for serving as President. That's not corruption. It's justice and being smart.
cicerone imposter

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 11:31 pm
@blatham,
Members will be able to hobnob with the president and his family. $200,000 is peanuts to the well healed jerks. Trump is a racial bigot and misogynist. People who don't care are jerks of the worst kind.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 11:34 pm
Trump:

Quote:
“For many decades, we’ve enriched foreign industry at the expense of American industry; subsidized the armies of other countries while allowing for the very sad depletion of our military. We've defended other nations' borders while refusing to defend our own and spent trillions of dollars overseas while America's infrastructure has fallen into disrepair and decay. We’ve made other countries rich while the wealth, strength and confidence of our country has disappeared over the horizon. From this moment on, it’s going to be America first."

Quote:
The U.S. set aside around $134 million for Mexico this year. For now, the U.S. hasn’t sent any of that money.

That money aint been sent, and guess what, Pedro. It aint NEVER gunna be, that's what!

Need a job? Trump will pay you $1 a day to dig footings for the wall. Don't say he never gave ya nuthin, eh?
0 Replies