monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 11:27 am
https://static-hive-images-ticketlabsinc1.netdna-ssl.com/upload/c_limit,w_1100/v1/unlayer-images/encef2w7nm86iudsql6i
gungasnake

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 11:32 am
Any scheme to cut or burn through steel bars or tunnel under a wall will make enough noise for sensors to detect. And if the nation which owned the wall was serious about it, you'd not want to have to deal with whatever those sensors were connected to.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 11:39 am
@hightor,
Quote:
We don't deserve our national parks.

...and possibly much else.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 11:39 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:

What the NYT believes Trump could learn from the shutdown. Who cares to read the bias crap thy push in opinion pieces? The Democrats are the ones who could learn something.

You can't offer one counterargument!
Quote:
If you don’t want to be blamed for one, don’t say you’re going to own it. Mr. Trump sacrificed that option when he boasted how “proud” he’d be to grind the government to a halt.

How is that pushing "bias"?
Quote:
The WP just said last week there was a crisis on the border.

No matter how confused things are along the southern border it doesn't represent a "national emergency". You've actually undermined your argument by posting a quote which doesn't agree with your conclusion!

Explain how the government shutdown shows Trump to be an effective leader. Looks to me that he's backed himself into a corner and exhibited a real lack of parliamentary skill. Do you actually think the shutdown is constructive?
hightor

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 11:46 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
The MSM did that.

Bullshit. Trump repeatedly revealed his racism at his Nuremburg-styled political rallies. I can't think of one candidate from a major party who ever called for limiting immigration based on race, religion, and nationality.
glitterbag

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 11:52 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

https://static-hive-images-ticketlabsinc1.netdna-ssl.com/upload/c_limit,w_1100/v1/unlayer-images/encef2w7nm86iudsql6i

Lindsey Graham is a constant disappointment.
coldjoint

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 11:54 am
@hightor,
Quote:
You can't offer one counterargument!

To what, an opinion?
blatham

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 11:58 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Lindsey Graham is a constant disappointment.
Well, I don't want to get on this poor fellow's case when he is clearly suffering such deep and sincere bereavitude.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 12:08 pm
Physical and spiritual wellness notes from all over...
Quote:
Before joining President Donald Trump's administration, right-wing commentator Robert W. Patterson argued against contraceptives because “condom use robs” women of the “remarkable chemicals” in semen; said married women in the workplace have undermined society; and suggested that homosexuality is a mental disorder and sexual orientation can be forcibly changed.

Given modern trends, I suspect there's money to be made in the "MagicSperm" mail-order realm.
coldjoint

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 12:21 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Robert W. Patterson argued against contraceptives because “condom use robs” women of the “remarkable chemicals” in semen; said married women in the workplace have undermined society; and suggested that homosexuality is a mental disorder and sexual orientation can be forcibly changed.

And how does these opinions about sperm and homosexuality affect his job?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 12:30 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
I can't think of one candidate from a major party who ever called for limiting immigration based on race, religion, and nationality.

Think again.
Quote:
Trump's immigration order pales to Roosevelt's

A progressive hero, no less.
Quote:
The legislation Theodore signed into law prohibited the entry into the United States any person who was identified as an anarchist, had seizures, begs for food or money, or is a pimp. The actual language for the last part was "importers of prostitutes."

Sen. Chuck Schumer would still be crying in his milk.

https://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/john-ingle/2017/02/21/trumps-immigration-order-pales-roosevelts/98189924/
coldjoint

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 12:43 pm
Global warming or Biblical plague?

Quote:
Mecca’s Grand Mosque plagued by swarm of locusts

Quote:
According to CNN, officials identified the locusts as migratory “black grasshoppers” and said that 22 teams consisting of 138 people were dispatched to deal with the infestation.

So the grand mosque smells like a roach motel. Did they sign that Paris crap?
https://www.timesofisrael.com/meccas-grand-mosque-plagued-by-swarm-of-locusts/
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 12:48 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:

Think again.

Read again: "race, religion, nationality". Got it? Do you understand what those words mean?
Quote:
The legislation Theodore signed into law prohibited the entry into the United States any person who was identified as an anarchist, had seizures, begs for food or money, or is a pimp. The actual language for the last part was "importers of prostitutes."

I see no mention 0f race, religion, or nationality. Roosevelt was screening for criminal behavior not discriminating on the basis of ethnicity.

hightor

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 12:58 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
To what, an opinion?

No, to the analysis. Here, let's look at this one:
Quote:
1. A failure to grasp how divided government works. The president somehow came to believe that he’d have more leverage once the Democrats took control of the House. Maybe someone convinced him that, after the transfer of power, he could shift blame for the impasse onto Speaker Nancy Pelosi — a favorite villain of Republicans. Or maybe he assumed that Pelosi & Company would fold in the face of the dysfunction and public outcry a shutdown would bring. Whatever the logic, Team Trump assumed Democrats would become more pliable, and a deal would emerge.

A counterargument would reinterpret the facts as stated in the article. So you would only have to show that Trump had a different reason for forcing the shutdown not based on having more leverage and not based on the assumption that Pelosi would be blamed. Maybe you could explain why Trump chose this path. Why don't you try to convince us that the long shutdown was precisely what Trump had in mind. You're not even trying.
roger

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 01:00 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

I see no mention 0f race, religion, or nationality. Roosevelt was screening for criminal behavior not discriminating on the basis of ethnicity.

Well, yes, but you can only screen for those issues when people present themselves at legal ports of entry.
coldjoint

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 01:02 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Read again: "race, religion, nationality".

And Roosevelt's is very vague and could include anyone for suspicion of any of those activities. Don't forget he beggars.
That is much worse. And no religion was banned, all citizens from those countries on the list are banned from entering. You are perpetuating a lie, you should stop.
coldjoint

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 01:06 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Maybe you could explain why Trump chose this path. Why don't you try to convince us that the long shutdown was precisely what Trump had in mind. You're not even trying.

Most likely because he knows he will win. Democrats can not say they want border security until they fund it. And how that security is accomplished is a
matter for the experts in security.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 01:15 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
And no religion was banned

No, because it would have been unconstitutional. But that didn't stop him from campaigning to do exactly that.
Quote:
"Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on," a campaign press release said.
coldjoint

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 01:19 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
No, because it would have been unconstitutional.

You are saying it did not happen, what is the problem? Trump is a quick study, politicians say a lot when they are campaigning.
hightor

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 01:28 pm
@coldjoint,
Quit moving the goalpost. This is what I said:
Quote:
I can't think of one candidate from a major party who ever called for limiting immigration based on race, religion, and nationality.

Trump called for a total ban on Muslims entering the country. I've provided the source. You can't just write it off by saying that politicians say a lot of things when campaigning, like no one ever saw it and it had no effect on people's attitudes.

(Now, what I should have said was: I can't think of one other candidate from a major party who ever called for limiting immigration based on race, religion, and nationality.)