monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

cicerone imposter

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 03:15 pm
@McGentrix,
Glitter has a lot more insight than most of us, so your comments are based on ignorance. You need to get your head out of your arse.
Baldimo

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 03:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Glitter has a lot more insight than most of us, so your comments are based on ignorance. You need to get your head out of your arse.

Except in her post, there was no insight. It was an opinion from her perspective and included some personal attacks. The only insight provided is that she is an unreasonable poster who attacked me for no reason.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 03:26 pm
@McGentrix,
Just because you continue to show your ignorance about a person who actually worked in intel vs Trump who imagined our elections are rigged and fraudulent, only proves you have no idea about facts vs fiction. Trump saw thousands cheering as the Twin Towers came tumbling down, and he's the only person in this world who saw that. No other person saw that. Your support of Trump shows how dilusional you are.
Baldimo

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 03:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well I guess Hillary was the only one who saw the sniper fire she was under when she visited Kosovo all those years ago... I mean really CI, we could do this all day and neither one of is going to prove a point.
cicerone imposter

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 03:31 pm
@Baldimo,
On Trump, you'll lose. Bring it on!
http://www.factcheck.org/2016/10/trumps-bogus-voter-fraud-claims/
http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/a
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 03:37 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I have no idea.

You ought to have. The ad hominem is a favorite ploy. He certainly did get it wrong with that thesis. But who doesn't get stuff wrong? It doesn't follow that everything he writes henceforth is unworthy. He's a bright guy and the piece is a good one, even if you find the thesis disagreeable.

When an expert is cited for his supposed expertise, a comment on his previously significant errors on the very issue in question is indeed relevant, not a "ploy" and does no constitute an ad hominem attack.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 03:39 pm
On Trump's speech at the CIA, the coverage to read is from Robin Wright (I linked this earlier). I'll just paste the first two graphs. Read this if you haven't.
Quote:
The death of Robert Ames, who was America’s top intelligence officer for the Middle East, is commemorated among the hundred and seventeen stars on the white marble Memorial Wall at C.I.A. headquarters, in Langley, Virginia. He served long years in Beirut; Tehran; Sanaa, Yemen; Kuwait City; and Cairo, often in the midst of war or turmoil. Along the way, Ames cultivated pivotal U.S. operatives and sources, even within the Palestine Liberation Organization when it ranked as the world’s top terrorist group. In April, 1983, as chief of the C.I.A.’s Near East division, back in Washington, Ames returned to Beirut for consultations as Lebanon’s civil war raged.

Shortly after 1 p.m. on April 18th, 1983, Ames was huddling with seven other C.I.A. staff at the high-rise U.S. Embassy overlooking the Mediterranean, when a delivery van laden with explosives made a sharp swing into the cobblestone entryway, sped past a guard station, and accelerated into the embassy’s front wall. It set off a roar that echoed across Beirut. My office was just up the hill. A huge black cloud enveloped blocks.
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/trumps-vainglorious-affront-to-the-c-i-a
blatham

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 04:00 pm
Quote:
The chairman of the House Science, Space and Technology Committee said Monday that Donald Trump was a more credible news source than the entire press corps.

After praising the President on the House floor for things like his “stamina,” and “conviction,” Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX) criticized the press for, in his view, skipping over the Trump's positive attributes.

“No, the national liberal media won’t print that or air it or post it,” Smith said. “Better to get your news directly from the President. In fact, it might be the only way to get the unvarnished truth.”
TPM
Such a bright future awaits America in science and space technology. (His main corporate funders are the fossil fuel industries)
georgeob1

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 04:12 pm
@blatham,
Trump didn't say or do anything to diaparage the reputation or memory of any of the CIA agents memorialized on the wall at the Langley Hq. nothwithstanding all the rather hysterical claims here of sacrilege. .He was instead addressing the senior members of the CIA headquarters bureaucracy in a location frequently used for such events in a form of outreach obviously intended to improve his comunications with them.

Lots of respomsible people offer often well founded criticisms of the DOD and the Military services over a variety of issues, ranging from the effectiveness and cost of various weapons systems, ships and aircraft, and even their operational effectivenenss in action. One doesn't see the uniformed services whining about their dead and the risks they take in their normal duties in response to such criticism. Indeed such behavior would be soundly rejected as unworthy of the continuing responsibilities they all share.

In my experience -and it is extensive - such responses, in the rare cases in which they occur, are far more commonly seen among the rear echelon office flowers than they are the men and women who take the real risks and casualties. They, far more than the others, must of necessity be both self-critical and objective in everything they do and are generally not so inclined to feel threatened by such far fetched, vaguely perceived insults.
Baldimo

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 04:15 pm
@blatham,
Where is our space program? Oh that's right, we don't have one. We have to rely on other countries to get into space now... Thank you Obama.
maporsche

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 04:25 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Where is our space program? Oh that's right, we don't have one. We have to rely on other countries to get into space now... Thank you Obama.

Don't leave out The last republican president.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2006/05/nasa-m20.html
hightor

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 04:27 pm
Quote:
We have to rely on other countries to get into space now.

That's okay. The rest of the world relies on us for everything else, as the Buchanan wing of the GOP never tires of telling us.

How you wanna pay for the space program — how about a one dollar/gallon gasoline tax? You know, for starters.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 04:31 pm
@maporsche,
Cutting government funded research is idiotic; it reduces our competitive advantage in this world of economics, and reduces our ability to find cures for cancer and other illnesses.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 04:36 pm
@maporsche,
From your article:
Quote:
Funds are being diverted to bolster the Moon exploration program, which will grow by 30 percent to $3.98 billion in 2007. There is also an additional $2.6 billion for the International Space Station (ISS). The plan is for a new generation of space vehicles to ferry scientists and astronauts back and forth from the International Space Station and replace the present aging and disaster-prone space shuttles.

Obama said NASA should spend more money to include out reach to Muslims.
Quote:
It's not really surprising that President Obama told NASA administrator Charles Bolden that his highest priority should be "to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science ... and math and engineering."

Then there were these tidbits of info about Obama and NASA:
Quote:
In November 2007, the Obama presidential campaign released a policy document delaying NASA's Constellation program by five years to fund education programs.[2] There was concern that any delay would prolong the gap after the Space Shuttle's retirement, when the US would be dependent on the Russian government for access to the International Space Station. Other presidential candidates, including Hillary Clinton, did not support the delay.[3]

In January 2008, the Obama campaign revised its position, supporting the immediate development of the Crew Exploration Vehicle and the Ares I rocket to narrow the gap. However, the new policy was silent on the heavy lift Ares V rocket and missions beyond low Earth orbit.[4]

Obama gave the first major space policy speech of his campaign in Titusville, Florida in August 2008.[5] He subsequently approved a seven-page space plan that committed to target dates for destinations beyond low Earth orbit:

“ He endorses the goal of sending human missions to the Moon by 2020, as a precursor in an orderly progression to missions to more distant destinations, including Mars.[6] ”
Obama was noted for "having offered more specifics about his plans for NASA than any U.S. presidential candidate in history".[7]

You will notice not a single thing he promised was put forth. He seemed committed to keeping the space initiative, but failed.
blatham

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 04:45 pm
@georgeob1,
Definitely do not read the Robin Wright piece I linked earlier.

And ps... very definitely do not watch the video of Trump's performance there.
McGentrix

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 05:14 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Definitely do not read the Robin Wright piece I linked earlier.

And ps... very definitely do not watch the video of Trump's performance there.

Check.
blatham

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 05:18 pm
@McGentrix,
You were already accounted for, McG.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 05:41 pm
@Baldimo,
The only sitting President who ever visited NSA was Ronald Reagan. You have a nice day, sorehead.
glitterbag

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 06:01 pm
@georgeob1,
The CIA has an auditorium for outreach. Posing in front of the Memorial wall was a public display of irreverence. Maybe On the West Coast it's maudlin or trite to respect the memorials for the dead killed in action. The area around the Memorial wall at CIA will not accommodate a large amount of people.....and you won't hear senior Intell professionals cheering when the new President hints we may go back to collect the spoils of war. But Trump travels with his own cheering section, because he needs the constant affirmation.

George, call it hysterical, really?. Is that what you actually think or just the normal MO you use while invalidating the opinions of others. Just because you have not experienced an emotion does not mean it doesn't exist. There is only so much tut, tut, tut in the world and you should have exhausted your supply by now.
glitterbag

Tue 24 Jan, 2017 06:09 pm
@georgeob1,
So George, how did you celebrate National Day of Patriotic Devotion?