monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 02:49 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
BIGGEST illegal immigration problem of overstay of Visa's

No problem, Trump has cracked down on those laws, and is deporting people. Why do you think politicians want to abolish ICE?That problem is very fixable, we know who those people are. Next.
neptuneblue

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 02:51 pm
@coldjoint,
So you admit he does not need $5B for a wall.

Thank you.
coldjoint

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 02:55 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
So you admit he does not need $5B for a wall.

No. I never said that.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 03:14 pm
@Setanta,
That makes sense — he knows he doesn't have all 51 votes so he masks weakness by hiding behind institutional customs he was only too happy to ignore previously. Got it.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 03:27 pm
So...is there a White House plan to privatize the war in Afghanistan?

Mattis is out, and Blackwater is back
Builder

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 03:57 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
We always leave a bloody disastrous mess. Follow the Hippocratic oath: first, do no harm.

The mantra I was aware of, is; The US always does the right thing, after trying everything else.

After the Coalition of the Willing fiasco in Iraq (take two), most nations other than those duty-bound, think twice about anything told to them by US "intel".

The UK, of course, and France, are partners in crime.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Builder

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 04:18 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
It doesn't solve ANY portion of the BIGGEST illegal immigration problem of overstay of Visa's.

It's a vote-grabber, though. The Australian govt bangs on about border protection, even though we don't actually share a border with any other nation, and only 2% of "illegals" arrive by boat. The rest just fly in as usual, and stay.
ehBeth

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 05:12 pm
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49029557_2007748869305314_1258522380909674496_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_eui2=AeGJRk3HrvhjPV670DN0e7KFMeNmZuQvehXFRA5QLtKATsKNEP2ZPOlA2kuuZWetW0WGM1yJdD6IQ9giql2Cx2YnaFUMNgJA3XgI-v_x04aJmQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=d5886dcc31febd3d72cdd76be25e08e3&oe=5C97950E
coldjoint

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 05:25 pm
@ehBeth,
That plane just might crash into the Capitol building and Trump will finally clear the swamp.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 05:30 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
Know what to expect when you enter Australia.

Depending on your circumstances, you might want to find out more about:

visas and our requirements for entry
what to expect when you cross the border
how to enter Australia as air or sea crew, an offshore worker or member of the military

From
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/entering-australia/overview
The same goes for your government, you know who these people are. Deport them if you do not want them there.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 05:51 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
U.S. envoy to coalition fighting ISIS resigns in protest of Trump’s Syria decision

That is certainly not unexpected. There will be more resignations and a new policy will emerge. That is what happens. Whether Trump's approach is right or wrong our soldiers will not be dying while we make up our minds. There are military families out there and I am sure some are thanking God that their spouse will be out of harms way.

That is what four people voted down, how many were Americans, just curious.
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 06:05 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Follow the Hippocratic oath: first, do no harm.

Leaving now, especially in this way, will definitely do harm.

Even Noam Chomsky, probably the last person on earth anyone can call a US imperialist stooge, argues that in this specific case a small US force should stay in Syria:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvCdHUmWoAAM8Pj.jpg
Like he says, even if you believe in grand overarching views of how the world works, the exigencies involved in a specific case should sometimes overwhelm one's default position.

Far as I'm concerned, looking at the specifics of a particular crisis should almost always override overarching instincts. That's why I was in favour of US intervention in Bosnia and Kosovo, against it in Iraq, highly ambiguous about how the US fought the war against ISIS, and aghast that it should abandon the Kurds. Specifics matter.

---

(Just in case that image disappears down the memory hole some time, Chomsky wrote:

Quote:
Don’t understand what is unclear. The few US troops in the area are a deterrent to a Turkish assault that could be murderous and destructive. Since I don’t enjoy seeing Kurds massacred once again, the way they are being massacred right now in southeast Turkey, I think it makes sense to keep these small forces as a deterrent. There is no other potential deterrent. The goal should [be] a holding action until, with luck, some diplomatic procedure can lead to the least worst outcome. I don’t think there is an ideal endgame. Any likely outcome I can think of is ugly.

Yes, logical fallacies should be rooted out, and the anti-imperialist doesn’t stop being a human being, one who recognizes that generally valid principles can’t be applied mechanically without considering circumstances.
maporsche

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 06:16 pm
@nimh,
I’ve been told that I should read and listen to Chomsky.
nimh

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 06:29 pm
@nimh,
More about Chomsky's take in this interview Jeremy Scahill did with him last September for The Intercept.

There is much I don't agree with him about. With part of my life's identity now quite rooted in Central Europe, I have a significantly different view of Russia's endeavours than he does. (That's even more true re: some of his past remarks on the Yugoslav wars.) I don't agree with how he dismisses Idlib as being basically just jihadists now, either, and resent more than a hint of double standards in his attitudes towards the likely slaughters in Idlib and Rojava.

But his take on Rojava is interesting in the context of this discussion, in part because he recalls the same historical episodes of US complicity in past attacks on the Kurds as you just did, Lash, but comes to a very different conclusion:

Quote:
The other crucial question is the status of the Kurdish areas — Rojava. In my opinion, it makes sense for the United States to maintain a presence which would deter an attack on the Kurdish areas. They have the one part of Syria which is succeeded in sustaining a functioning society with many decent elements. And the idea that they should be subjected to an attack by their bitter enemies the Turks, or by the murderous Assad regime I think is anything should be done to try to prevent that.

Quote:
The United States, like other great powers, does not pursue humanitarian objectives. It pursues objectives determined by power considerations, and they lead to different positions with regard to the Kurds or others at different times.

So, for example, in the 1970s there was a time when the United States supported Kurds against Saddam Hussein. Shortly after a deal was made in which they sacrificed the Kurds to Saddam Hussein. That led to Henry Kissinger’s famous comment that we shouldn’t confuse foreign policy with missionary activity.

It’s entirely true that especially in the 1990s Clinton was pouring arms into Turkey for the purpose of carrying out massive, murderous, destructive attacks against the Kurdish population of Turkey in the Southeast — enormously destructive.

That does not change the fact that now the United States could, with a relatively small presence, deter attacks against the Kurds in Syria, which could destroy the one part of Syria that is actually functioning at a decent fashion.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 06:43 pm
@maporsche,
You should. Chomsky says stay though nothing good will come of it.

I say go because nothing good will come of it.

Our opinions are almost exactly the same.
coldjoint

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 07:04 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:

If you hate America you will love it.
nimh

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 07:23 pm
@maporsche,
He's a genius on linguistics, I gather (not that I'd understand!). Many of the bits & pieces I've seen of his on US politics seemed legitimate to me. His ventures into analysing global geopolitics, on the other hand, have faced searing criticisms which I heartily agreed with. For example Monbiot's probing exchange with Chomsky on Srebrenica and adjacent questions and Sam Hamad's reasoned critique of Chomsky's "conservative, orientalist, and incoherent stance on Syria"; or on more, let's say, passionate notes, Oz Katerji's angry piece about the role of Chomsky and peers in Bosnia then and Syria now, and this angry review of Chomsky's "Lessons from Kosovo" on anarchist website Libcom.org.

So it's rather because I've disagreed with Chomsky's comments in that area that I find it instructive that he is parting ways on this with the specific corner of self-declared "anti-imperialism" where they're cheering on Trump's decision. And I am glad to see his insistence on at least this occasion that we should judge the merits of different courses of action in each conflict situation individually, rather than applying facile cookie-cutter denouncements.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 07:56 pm
Quote:
Report Shows Border Wall Would Save The US 12 to $15 billion a year

Quote:
If a border wall prevented 160,000 to 200,000 illegal crossings (excluding descendants) in the next 10 years it would be enough to pay for the estimated $12 to $15 billion costs of the wall.
Newly released research by the Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) done for the Department of Homeland Security indicates that 170,000 illegal immigrants crossed the border successfully without going through a port of entry in 2015.3 While a significant decline in crossings from a decade ago, it still means that there may be 1.7 million successful crossings in the next decade. If a wall stopped just 9 to 12 percent of these crossings it would pay for itself.

If a wall stopped half of those expected to successfully enter illegally without going through a port of entry at the southern border over the next 10 years, it would save taxpayers nearly $64 billion — several times the wall's cost.

http://redstatewatcher.com/article.asp?id=144381#disqus_thread
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 22 Dec, 2018 08:02 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:

I'd suggest that you could read and listen to Chomsky. You probably already share a similar perspective and agree with most of his analyses. I like that he has the cred to come out and suggest that using the military — already in place — as a deterrent is not warmongering. I also agree that there is no ideal endgame and any outcome is going to suck. The only real solution is not to make these commitments in the first place. Yet I don't think you can reasonably expect people to stand by and watch wide-scale atrocities, military incursions, and mass executions occurring without starting to clamor for somebody to do something. And sooner or later there will be cruise missiles and maybe a battalion on the ground. We will always suffer unintended and unforeseen consequences from military interventions, no matter how fair and just we believe our motivation to be.