monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

McGentrix

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:24 pm
@blatham,
George hit on it a little bit, but the population of California is greater than Canada. A system that works fine for 35 million people may not fit a population of 319 million. Look at the Healthcare situations in the most populous countries around the world. China and India's healthcare are terrible. Indonesia is just now in the formation of getting some kind of universal healthcare thing going. I think a lot of eyes in the US will be watching implementation in Indonesia to see how it goes. Creating a healthcare system is a Herculean task. Obama did it half-assed with a plan that the legislature didn't even read. Is that really the right way to go about reforming the third most populous country in the world's healthcare?

I used to work in Markham outside Toronto one week a month for a couple years. I got to know Canada pretty well. I am hardly some yokel American that isn't sure where Canada actually is. I worked with some fine Canadians and got to know them pretty well. I got to have lunch and dinner with them and listen to them bitch and complain about stuff that is entirely Canadian. The Canadian system is fine for Canadians.

But why do you, a non-American, feel you need to try to push your system on the US? It won't work for the US.
McGentrix

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:26 pm
@giujohn,
Ugh. Not funny even joking.
georgeob1

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:29 pm
@glitterbag,
If I've got you right , you are forecasting that Trump will very soon be widely seen as a national embarassment and the United States reduced to a humorous footnote.

I'll be happy to compare notes with you in terms of the objective indicators of both assertions sometime in the near future. We could even bet, though I don't think the odds are at all with you.

You appear to be a bit more pretentious about your 'service to the nation' than am I, and a good deal more involved in "self-approval" as well. I'm not the member of any clan.

Relax, keep your eyes open and observe what unfolds: then make your judgments. It will likely do you some good.
giujohn

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:39 pm
@McGentrix,
The notion that some people actually believe and equate Trump to Adolf is so extremely absurd as to be completely funny.

And besides I like jack boots they're so industrial.
reasoning logic

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:45 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
The notion that some people actually believe and equate Trump to Adolf is so extremely absurd as to be completely funny.

There is one major difference between Adolf and Trump its called a nuclear bomb and its not funny.
blatham

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:46 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
But why do you, a non-American, feel you need to try to push your system on the US? It won't work for the US.

But I'm not. Except perhaps as regards the present trust on the right re the benefits of private enterprise engagement in it. I don't really care how citizens get insured for medical, I just view it as a moral abomination that so many were not.

Population has to be seen as an important factor but I have no idea why you would claim with certainty that the greater size makes such a system impossible. Japan, with half your population does it.
blatham

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:54 pm
The cowardly lion speaks
Quote:
Paul Ryan says he doesn’t know if millions of Americans voted illegally for Hillary Clinton, and he refused to repudiate Donald Trump’s groundless claims of a vast voter-fraud conspiracy.

In an interview on CBS News’ “60 Minutes,” the speaker was asked about Trump's tweet that said he would have won the popular vote “if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally.”

“I don't know,” the Wisconsin Republican said in response. “I'm not really focused on these things.”
I'm afraid there's no denying he's just a dandy lion
0 Replies

McGentrix

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:57 pm
@blatham,
Japan is #10 on the population scale and is the first to have Universal Health care. They also instituted in 1938 when they had a population of about 70 million. Why doesn't Russia, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Pakistan, Brazil, India or China have Universal Healthcare?
blatham

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 07:14 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I do know and like Bernie, but recognize that he has been getting away with a con here for a long time. I'm a bit weary of it, but know that he's a big boy and can surely take a moderate dose of what he's been putting out here for as long as I can remember.

This is the last time I'll address this particular species of complaint.

The complaint being expressed by george or others is mis-identified. The problem isn't that I'm a Canadian but rather that the content I bring here does not match their political ideology. If I were a gung ho conservative of the modern variety as active as I am and bringing in discussion or content of that sort, I'd be something of a local hero. That's really the key issue. Criticism of my nationality usually functions as an ad hominem.

Alongside that, let's note that the content I do bring in (the links and commentary) is something like 99% from American voices. Is that not so? I mean, it is not as if I'm functioning like a Russian troll sending stuff into Breitbart.

So, for me, that's that.

blatham

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 07:21 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Japan is #10 on the population scale
Irrelevant.

Quote:
They also instituted in 1938 when they had a population of about 70 million.
Irrelevant.

Quote:
Why doesn't Russia, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Pakistan, Brazil, India or China have Universal Healthcare?
Cultural and political factors, obviously. Which is the case in America though obviously the cultural and political factors in the US are quite different than those other nations.

That the GOP is planning to hold off on major changes until after the mid-term tells us what's going on. They understand what happened when the Bush administration tried to privatize Medicare. That political problem is what they are seeking a way around. And let's note that by the term "political problem" they see citizen disapproval as the impediment.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 07:25 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

The problem isn't that I'm a Canadian but rather that the content I bring here does not match their political ideology. If I were a gung ho conservative of the modern variety as active as I am and bringing in discussion or content of that sort, I'd be something of a local hero. That's really the key issue. Criticism of my nationality usually functions as an ad hominem.

You're right. Well, kinda, anyway. Most hosers are amicable folks who I would get along with easily.

The reason I don't take to you, personally, is not because you don't match my "political ideology," though. I generally don't give a rat's ass about a person's politics. That has nothing to do with whether I like them or not.

It's not that you're a hoser, it's that you're a commie-ass propaganda-peddlin hoser, that's all. You don't have to "match" my politics to be acceptable to me, by any stretch, but, that said, me and cheese-eaters, we don't never seem to get along so hot, know what I'm sayin?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 07:32 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
You may know that Americans tend to have a sense of pride. Especially those of us that actually love our country.

I used to have a sense of pride in America until a very stupid American public elected a crooked, narcissistic, bait and switch, liar as president. Now I am having second thoughts about how intelligent America is if it falls for the rhetoric of a conservative party that has screwed the 99% for the benefit of the 1% for 16 years. And that SOB tRump is a communist loving Putin admiring stupid jerk.
layman

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 07:35 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I used to have a sense of pride in America until a very stupid American public elected a crooked, narcissistic, bait and switch, liar as president.

Is that you, Hillary?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 07:37 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
where the **** is that dude getting his information from and how is it that he's so certain he's right when exactly the opposite is the case?

Fox news and Rush Limbaugh. Its required listening if you are a conservative.
blatham

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 07:46 pm
@RABEL222,
Please please stop using tRump.

The election of Trump is an extraordinary political event. That's evidenced by, if nothing else and there's much else, how nobody saw it coming including his competitors in the primaries. As reported by Costa and others, even Trump himself was apparently surprised. There's no historical precedent for that. And then there's his blatant and continual lying. No precedent for that either.

But we know all this and he is the in-coming president. The tough problem for media and for left wing folks and for right wing folks who remain aghast at what has happened and what may now happen, is to cope with the thing.

But it also allows for us to study events in a situation of unusual national stress. That should permit us to get a better grasp on how power actually works in America. For example, the apparent welcoming of the big banking money into this administration or the rise in nationalist fervor (evident in a lot of the commentary over the last few pages here). That sort of fervor is evident in France and Austria and elsewhere in Europe right now. I find it frightening as hell and I hope things don't get so ugly that study of the thing becomes frivolous.

Global warming isn't helping. Mass migrations and resulting instability are part of what the Pentagon is preparing for. Yikes.

blatham

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 07:48 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Fox news and Rush Limbaugh. Its required listening if you are a conservative.

No longer just those two key players. But they set the pattern.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 08:07 pm
@georgeob1,
There is nothing pretentious about service, although I understand your need to trivialize anything that isn't YOU. It's a waste of my time to compare notes with you, you are just so you. I'm sure there are loads of people who find you interesting or even well informed.......engage them, it will be a bonus for both of us.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 08:08 pm
Well, this is just so cool
Quote:
A North Carolina man was arrested Sunday after he walked into a popular pizza restaurant in Northwest Washington carrying an assault rifle and fired one or more shots, D.C. police said. The man told police he had come to the restaurant to investigate “PizzaGate,” a false conspiracy theory related to Hillary Clinton that spread online during her presidential campaign.
WP

Quote:
The fake news began proliferating on websites like 4chan and Reddit, especially a Reddit forum frequented by Trump supporters and the alt-right. The Reddit community “Pizzagate,” created for the purpose of discussing the supposed conspiracy, was banned recently because individuals began posting personal and confidential information there. The fake news became so prominent that even retired Gen. Michael Flynn, whom Donald Trump has chosen to be his national security adviser, shared the story on his Twitter account.
Follow
General Flynn ✔ @GenFlynn
U decide - NYPD Blows Whistle on New Hillary Emails: Money Laundering, Sex Crimes w Children, etc...MUST READ! http://truepundit.com/breaking-bombshell-nypd-blows-whistle-on-new-hillary-emails-money-laundering-sex-crimes-with-children-child-exploitation-pay-to-play-perjury/

this stuff matters
georgeob1

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 08:34 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

The complaint being expressed by george or others is mis-identified. The problem isn't that I'm a Canadian but rather that the content I bring here does not match their political ideology. If I were a gung ho conservative of the modern variety as active as I am and bringing in discussion or content of that sort, I'd be something of a local hero. That's really the key issue. Criticism of my nationality usually functions as an ad hominem.

Your political views are more or less matched by a large majority of the posters on this site. One can readily see that by all the thumbed down conservtive posts here. You are merely serving up palatible, and usually borrowed stuff to the eager majority, and juicing it up with utterly unsupported suggestions of dark conspiracy and underlying decay in the country. This pathetically weak element of your defense is merely fatuous nonsense.

No one here has criticized your Canadian identity. There is however an element of ad hominem criticism in the responses. It is based on your bad manners and apparent lack of situational awareness in persistenly, and falsely, presentating yourself as one of us while, continuously packaging your borrowed commentary to undermine and mischaracterize the political process in our country. It is indeed your right to do all this, but observers also have a right to draw the evident conclusions from your behavior.

[/quote]
0 Replies

Lola

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 09:05 pm
@georgeob1,
I know Bernie's a big boy, believe me, but you surely know that the opinions expressed on these threads represent in no way the opinions of the general public. You need stats for that. Do you have any?
0 Replies