monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 03:41 am
@coldjoint,
James Howard Kunstler wrote:
The next scheduled chapter in the story is Gen. Flynn’s sentencing this Tuesday. It would be a surprise if the Judge does not observe that Mr. Mueller has acted in contempt of court. Ditto if the charge against Gen. Flynn is not thrown out.

Good luck with that brilliant line of defense:
Quote:
Then last week, in a memo about their client’s sentencing, Mr. Flynn’s lawyers implied that he had been tricked into lying and that the F.B.I. acted improperly in interviewing him — points raised by pro-Trump commentators elaborating on the president’s claims of being victimized by a witch hunt.

Judge Sullivan was having none of it.

“I cannot recall an instance of a court ever accepting a guilty plea from someone who did not maintain he was guilty,” Judge Sullivan said, “and I do not intend to start today.”

Chastened, Mr. Flynn told the judge that nobody tricked him, that he lied and that he knew he shouldn’t have.

nyt

Kunstler is an interesting social critic, an outsider, close to being a professional contrarian. Here are some of the things left out of cj's selectively edited text:

Quote:
Elected officials come and go, but when America chucks the rule of law on the old garbage barge, this will cease to be the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Readers may wonder: why am I so concerned with these shenanigans among the FBI, the DOJ and Intel Community when there is that other elephant in the room, viz: Mr. Trump, the Golden Golem of Greatness, the awkward, embarrassing, childish fellow dishonoring the Oval Office? Because the actions of his antagonists are much more dangerous to the public interest than the oafish president. Elected officials come and go, but when America chucks the rule of law on the old garbage barge, this will cease to be the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Of his many blunders, the worst for his own political survival was Mr. Trump taking ownership of the “greatest economy ever.” Stocks, bonds, and commodities are all wobbling at once, and approaching the event horizon where there is no floor under the price of anything. That will not make America great in the Trumpian sense, but it will be another opening for the long-awaited return of reality to a society where, for a long time, now, anything goes and nothing matters.

Below viewing threshold (view)
hightor

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 06:34 am
Why Biden, Bernie and Beto Shouldn’t Get Cocky

Quote:
Promise me something: Over the coming weeks, whenever you hear a pundit or read a poll on the subject of who the 2020 Democratic nominee might be, you’ll flash back four years. You’ll remember predictions about the Republican nominee at this same point before the 2016 election.

Republicans then were in a situation similar to the one that Democrats are in now. More than a dozen candidates were poised to run. And in December 2014, CNN/ORC published the results of a survey that sought to determine which of them had the most support and the best chance.

The answer was not Donald Trump.

“Jeb Bush is the clear Republican presidential front-runner, surging to the front of the potential G.O.P. pack,” read the story on CNN’s website.

Surging. Jeb!

He had the support of 23 percent of respondents. That put him fully 10 points ahead of his nearest competitor, who was … Chris Christie. Next came Ben Carson, followed by Rand Paul and Mike Huckabee.

Need I remind anyone how that fearsome five fared?

We political junkies got far ahead of ourselves then, and we’re getting ahead of ourselves now. Almost 23 months before the 2020 election, we’re handicapping contenders, edging toward prophecies and setting ourselves up to look every bit as foolish as we deserve to. We don’t learn. That would get in the way of a guessing game that we relish too much.

Polls are being done at an accelerating pace. CNN released one late last week. It surveyed Democratic voters nationwide, among whom Joe Biden ranked first; Bernie Sanders, second; and Beto O’Rourke, third. So they’re the Bush, Christie and Carson analogues. If 2014 is any guide, they should spare themselves a lot of travel and a world of heartache and pack it in now.

Of course, 2014 isn’t a guide, but it’s a caveat. A reality check. Assessments of candidates at this early stage have limited bearing on how well they’ll be doing more than a year down the road, when the Iowa caucuses kick off the primary season. Too little has happened so far. Too much will happen in fairly short order.

At this juncture back then, Trump’s candidacy wasn’t even anticipated. Pollsters didn’t present his name to Republican voters as an option. That remained true in February 2015, when someone new did challenge Bush for front-runner status and then briefly wrest it from him: Scott Walker. If you forgot about his supposedly big promise, no wonder. His campaign wouldn’t last until the end of that year.

Trump finally came onto the radar and earned inclusion in polls around May 2015 — five months further into the process than where we are now. But he didn’t take the lead even then. In a Quinnipiac poll of Republican voters released on May 28, 2015, he placed eighth, just behind Ted Cruz. Cruz would be the only one, in the end, to give him any competition for the nomination.

While the 2016 presidential race was messy, it wasn’t a complete anomaly. The 2008 race, for example, looked very different this far ahead of Election Day than it did in the homestretch. A CNN/ORC poll in December 2006 showed that among Democrats, Hillary Clinton had more than double the support that Barack Obama did.

She remained 14 points ahead of him three months later, in a USA Today/Gallup poll that established an even more commanding front-runner on the Republican side: Rudy Giuliani. Republicans preferred him to John McCain by a margin of 44 percent to 20 percent. McCain, obviously, went on to become the nominee. Giuliani exited the contest in January 2008.

The volatility partly reflects how little attention most voters pay to the nomination contests until much later on. But it’s also a function of how much about the candidates remains unknown or has yet to emerge.

Sure, most of them have been vetted somewhat during prior runs for office. But whatever scrutiny they received, and whatever pressure they felt, pale next to the withering spotlight of a presidential bid. Previously overlooked discrepancies between their images and their reality will emerge; so will secrets. They’ll teeter, some of them. Others will implode. Just ask such short-lived hopefuls as Giuliani, Howard Dean and John Edwards.

Already I’m hearing debates about O’Rourke’s true politics that weren’t a big factor in his recently concluded Senate race; if he runs for president, he’ll have to explain a tension between his relatively moderate reputation in Congress and a more progressive tilt on the campaign trail.

Already Elizabeth Warren is suffering from an intensity of second-guessing that wasn’t there before she released her DNA test about two months ago. Maybe it’s a blip. Maybe not.

But we don’t have the most consequential information of all, at least in terms of their presidential ambitions. With the exception perhaps of Warren, who has given recent speeches on foreign policy and racial justice, we haven’t heard the specific, boiled-down cases for themselves — and their prescriptions for the country’s future — that they’ll present to American voters. We don’t know how persuasively they’ll communicate that. And we haven’t been able to judge how well it complements what voters are hungriest for now.

Trump is instructive. The phenomenon of his candidacy had everything to do with what he said when he came down that escalator in Trump Tower on June 16, 2015. He delivered a racially charged, anti-immigrant message with surprising resonance, and he did so — not just then but in the months afterward — with an unapologetic bluntness that many listeners interpreted as strength. That wasn’t easily foreseeable and, for the most part, it wasn’t foreseen.

Biden’s, Sanders’s and O’Rourke’s strong showing in current polls isn’t wholly irrelevant. It will help them with fund-raising. It will direct more media attention their way. It demonstrates that they’ve crossed the all-important threshold of widespread name recognition.

I was joking when I suggested that it spelled doom. But they shouldn’t be too encouraged by it. And the rest of us shouldn’t use it to write off other candidates.

Frank Bruni
Olivier5

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 07:43 am
@hightor,
Quote:
whatever scrutiny they received, and whatever pressure they felt, pale next to the withering spotlight of a presidential bid.

That is true for O'Rourke, less true of Biden, and even less true of Sanders. He's been a presidential candidate before (and Biden a vice-president candidate) and we know he behaved with class to spare.
izzythepush

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 08:26 am
Quote:
A judge has suggested US President Donald Trump's former national security adviser sold out his country when he lied to the FBI about Russia contacts.

Michael Flynn was due to be sentenced, but his lawyers opted for a delay after the judge's blistering comments.

Flynn pleaded guilty in December 2017 to lying about his contacts with the Russian ambassador to the US.

He is the first Trump administration figure to face sentencing in the probe into alleged Kremlin election meddling.

Hours before Flynn turned up for the hearing in Washington DC, President Trump tweeted to him: "Good luck today in court."

The Republican president regularly lambasts the US justice department investigation into whether he or his aides colluded with an alleged Russian plot to sway the 2016 US election in Mr Trump's favour.

lynn was due to learn his fate on Tuesday, but after delivering a stern rebuke the judge offered the former national security adviser's legal team a postponement.

The attorneys agreed, and Judge Emmet Sullivan rescheduled the sentencing to 13 March.

Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is leading the Russia investigation, had asked for Flynn to be spared prison time.

Mr Mueller's office cited Flynn's "substantial" co-operation with the inquiry and career of military service.

However, Judge Sullivan told Flynn: "This is a very serious offence.

"A high-ranking senior official of the government making false statements to the FBI while on the physical premises of the White House."

At one point, Judge Sullivan asked the prosecutor whether the special counsel's office had ever considered charging Flynn with treason.

The judge told Flynn: "Arguably, you sold your country out."

Judge Sullivan also said he "can't hide my disgust, my disdain" for the offence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46609628
hightor

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 08:41 am
I'd always suspected that for many people, party loyalty is more important than principles:

Does political party trump ideology?

Quote:
In other words, despite identifying as conservative Republicans, these individuals were more likely to endorse a liberal policy when told that President Trump supported that policy.

byu
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 08:41 am
@izzythepush,
Weakling Trump ... weak on ISIS!
Quote:
Trump Considering Full Withdrawal of U.S. Troops From Syria

coldjoint

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 09:47 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The conservative host claimed immigration was "indefensible" economically.

"Our leaders demand that you shut up and accept this. We have a moral obligation to admit the world's poor, they tell us, even if it makes our own country poorer and dirtier and more divided."

That worked in the UK. It will not work here. The US still has men, the UK not so much.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 09:50 am
@hightor,
Quote:
The next scheduled chapter in the story is Gen. Flynn’s sentencing this Tuesday.

It has nothing to do with Trump. I am past the point of caring about guilt through association when it does not apply to Democrats.
MontereyJack

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 09:51 am
@oralloy,
Still living in the world of alternsative facts (aka lies) and blind denial, I see.
coldjoint

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 09:54 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Still living in the world of alternsative facts (aka lies) and blind denial, I see.

And you still posting rhetoric and your opinion. Neither has any basis in fact.
Below viewing threshold (view)
MontereyJack

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 10:08 am
@coldjoint,
Your postings are purely rhetorical with no basis in fact, purely opinion and lousy opinion at that.
Olivier5

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 10:08 am
@coldjoint,
The "class" comment referred to Sanders. I don't know much about Biden.
MontereyJack

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 10:10 am
@coldjoint,
Tjhey're Trump appintees or hires. And they all lie. It does in fact have to do with trump.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 10:11 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Your postings are purely rhetorical

My posts are usually sourced. But when I reply to you I really do not care what I say since you are long gone and thoroughly brainwashed.
MontereyJack

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 10:17 am
@coldjoint,
Your sources are almost always uber right wing nonsense. Garbage in, garbage out.
coldjoint

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 10:20 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Your sources are almost always uber right wing nonsense.

You can say that but you have never proven it. Pick one of those sites and prove what you say. Should I wait?
MontereyJack

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 10:31 am
@coldjoint,
They usually prove untrue.

which is why no one except the gullible accepts them. Your warren harris corruption cite was a recent example of hyperbolic nonsense which ignored the multiple corruption charges agaiknst trump appointees, doe which they have retired in disgrace. and also tries to criminalize politicl fundraising which EVERY PERSON ELECTED DOES AND HAs done for centries as crimibnal.
coldjoint

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 10:34 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
They usually prove untrue.

Don't you mean you can prove 0? That is what it looks like. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies