monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

neptuneblue

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 02:49 pm
@oralloy,
How do you propose to get rid of the toxic waste that is generated by those nuclear reacters? It creates more of an issue to get rid of it than to implement renewable energies.
oralloy

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 02:56 pm
@neptuneblue,
Fission fragments are only dangerous for a thousand years or so. If we can't find some sort of medical use for them, just store them in a warehouse somewhere.

Actinides are not actually waste. They are fuel. They are only treated as waste because the left will not let us use them as fuel.

The solution to long-lived actinides is easy. Start using them as fuel instead of treating them as waste.

The problem with renewable energy is that it probably will not be enough to meet all of our energy needs.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 03:00 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
Changing fuels to an energy efficient substitute doesn't cripple anything.

First you have to find an efficient substitute. You are putting the cart in front of the horse. Think Solyndra.
coldjoint

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 03:04 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Much more interesting and stimulating to be a liberal.

Then, what happened to you? Laughing
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 03:04 pm
@oralloy,
fre nuclear: Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima. Lotta unsolved problems. China and Siemens, and to a lesser degree India, are bringing elecgtricity to the billion plus people ho won't in the foreseeable future, ever be on a power grid, by developing and easily affordable small single-household solar power setup. Of course the US isn't. My niece hss worked with organizations getting them to people in Africa.

Incidentally, for more than a century, the US was the world's major procuer of CO2. WE caused the largest proportion by far of the mess we're in now. And we're still a close second to China in making it worse. The reduction in the rate of increase, which is NOT the same as a reduction in total is largely due to the use of natural gas, which is cheaper, less polluting and more flexible. It's got nothing to do with anything Trump has done. Trump in fact is strenuously trying to INCREASE the use of coal again, which is the wordt possible thing he could do.

which the US isn''t. My niece has worked wit
snood

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 03:06 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

revelette1 wrote:

Well color me surprised. Regardless if he actually goes through with it, I am glad.

If he does, he'll have implemented more restrictions on firearms and their accessories than Obama ever did.

If you're going to compare 45 favorably with Obama, it bears mentioning that even though meaningful gun control was a passionate cause of his, no heartfelt speeches or cajoling or attempts to shame Congress into action (even after the worst most grisly and horrible gun violence -Sandy Hook-was still fresh in our minds), could of move Congress from their pig-headed resistance. I think 45 may benefit from the still-friendly lame-duck Congress not providing any of that knowledge be of resistance since.
coldjoint

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 03:10 pm
@snood,
Quote:
gun control was a passionate cause of his, no heartfelt speeches or cajoling or attempts to shame

Fast and Furious. And the heartfelt and Obama is bullshit from a transfixed child, is bullshit too.
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 03:12 pm
@snood,
I didn't mean that as a knock on Obama.

It was meant to show how right-wing-nuts let Trump get away with literally anything.
Below viewing threshold (view)
MontereyJack

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 03:18 pm
@coldjoint,
What happened with Solyandra is that the Chinese and the Germans together worked out the tech to cut costs of solar poswer by about 75%, and make it more affordable than Solyandra's processes cou.d It did, as a matter of fact, show switches to renewable energy working quite well, just not to an Amrtican firm's benefit. Tech'll do that to you.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 03:19 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I'll not quote the entire thing, but some highlights:
Quote:
Civil Rights

Civil rights concern the basic right to be free from unequal treatment based on certain protected characteristics (race, gender, disability, etc.) in settings such as employment, education, housing, and access to public facilities. A civil rights violation occurs in designated situations where an individual is discriminated against on the basis of a protected characteristic. Most civil rights laws are established through the federal government via federal legislation or case law.

Civil Liberties

Civil liberties concern basic rights and freedoms that are guaranteed -- either explicitly identified in the Bill of Rights and the Constitution, or interpreted or inferred through the years by legislatures or the courts.
It would be silly to argue that Democrats, or really any American would be against Civil Rights. But, it is often times confused with Civil Freedoms which is not really interchangeable.
Interesting. I never realized that. I'll have to start using the correct terms.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 03:32 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
But, it is often times confused with Civil Freedoms which is not really interchangeable. Do you see the difference now?

No. I honestly don't get the point you're trying to make. You contrasted "civil liberties" with "civil freedoms" but your quoted example is talking about "civil rights". Not sure where you're coming from. Does it have something to do with firearms?
McGentrix wrote:
They want equal rights, but not equal freedoms.

No, I don't get the "equal freedoms" bit.
Quote:
It's civil liberties the Democrats hate.

The reason we have civil rights legislation is to promote the civil freedom of all classes of people — as citizens, a dark-skinned semi-literate unskilled worker enjoys the same civil freedom as a white college-educated propertied professional. Our history shows examples of groups working to secure civil rights legislation to make up for discrepancies between our civic ideals and actual conditions as they are found. So anyway, I don't see how you can say "Democrats" oppose "equal freedom" — if I even knew what you meant.
Quote:
Democrats and the extreme left want to ban FoxNews from the air.

Where do you come up with this stuff? All media sources should be called on the accuracy of their reporting.
Quote:
...their hatred of the free press when it is aganst their point of view.

Criticizing Fox News is not the same as "hatred of the free press." The criticisms of Fox are not because of its point of view. The disdain for Fox is because of their lousy journalistic standards. But I haven't seen anyone saying they should be banned. Maybe you're thinking of the Russian troll farms getting banned on social media?
Quote:
Being pro-baby death and being Christian seem to be at odds, don't you think?

Well no. Lots of Christians are able to make the semantic distinction between different connotations of the word "baby" and accept pastoral guidance from pro-choice clergy. But doesn't being against reproductive freedom seem to be at odds with being a "libertarian"? You want the government making these personal decisions, forcing a woman to carry a child and denying her the right of personal autonomy? You want to legislate morality and compel particular personal beliefs?
Quote:
That's just at Berkely. The Democrats hate and want to ban anything and everything they disagree with.

There you go again! The student population of Berkley is really not a representative population of voting Democrats.
Quote:
"common sense gun reform" means gun bans and confiscation

So what? Some types of guns should be prohibited and some type of people should have their guns confiscated.
Quote:
Where is gun confiscation going on? Maryland, Massachusetts, Illinois, North Carolina, zoregon... your neighborhood should your side win.

Yeah, well I live in a pro-gun area in a pro-gun state and I haven't heard of law-abiding citizens having their legal firearms confiscated by anyone. Ex-felons, people subject to restraining orders, the mentally ill — you know, when people with guns represent a danger to themselves or others, the courts have the right to step in. I can't believe you really want a society where every angry paranoid, every hate-filled racist, every jealous drunken cuckold is armed to the teeth. Oh wait, you probably do.
MontereyJack

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 04:39 pm
@oralloy,
about damned time. May be the first actually CONSTRUCTIVE THING tRUMP Hs put his hand to. If he doesn't find some way to sabotage it.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 05:20 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
drunken cuckold

Is that necessary? And according to you there are so many racists it would have happened by now. Instead, the gangs and inner city people and illegals will have to do the killing until the racists catch up.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 05:38 pm

Quote:
Man who allegedly stabbed father of seven to death had been deported SIX times

Let's hear it for open borders. Another story where the headline says it all.
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2018/12/14/man-who-allegedly-stabbed-father-of-seven-to-death-had-been-deported-six-times-702905
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 05:48 pm
Federal court blocks Trump administration birth control coverage rules
Samuel Chamberlain By Samuel Chamberlain, Bill Mears | Fox News

A divided federal appeals court blocked the Trump administration Thursday from enforcing a series of revised ObamaCare rules that would have enabled more employers to opt out of providing contraception coverage to workers over religious or moral objections.

The 2-1 ruling by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals found that a group of five states were likely to succeed in claiming that the changes to the Affordable Care Act were made without the required notice and period of public comment.

ObamaCare originally required most companies to cover birth control at no additional cost, though it included exemptions for religious organizations. The Trump administration's new policy allowed more categories of employers, including publicly traded companies, to opt out of providing free contraception to women by claiming religious objections. It also allowed any company that is not publicly traded to deny coverage on moral grounds.

California filed a lawsuit to block the changes and was joined by Delaware, Maryland, New York and Virginia. The state argued that the change could result in millions of California women losing free birth control services, leading to unintended pregnancies that would tax the state's health care and other social programs.

The panel's ruling barred enforcement of the rule changes in those states but also vacated part of a preliminary injunction issued last year by a California federal judge that barred the rules from being enforced nationwide.

"The scope of the [preliminary] injunction is overbroad," Senior Judge J. Clifford Wallace wrote in the majority opinion.

The Department of Justice said in court documents that the revised rules were about protecting a small group of "sincere religious and moral objectors" from having to violate their beliefs. The department had no immediate comment on Thursday's ruling.

Trump has criticized the 9th Circuit after its judges have dealt him a series of legal setbacks on immigration and other White House policies.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 06:32 pm
As I say, thank you for proving my point again.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 15 Dec, 2018 08:39 am
https://i.imgur.com/BqwwI3fl.jpg

Ryan Zinke to resign as interior secretary, Trump says
Quote:

[...]
Zinke’s personal conduct and management decisions have spurred at least 15 investigations, several of which have been closed.

The most serious one, which the Interior Department’s acting inspector general referred to the Justice Department, focuses on whether the secretary used his office for personal gain in connection with a land deal he forged in Whitefish, Mont., with Halliburton Chairman David Lesar and other investors.
... ... ...