monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 03:48 pm
@McGentrix,
Well, it quotes the others in the text. But aside from that, your analogy is foolish.
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 03:49 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

They are corporate sharks. It's the nature of the beast. Make money. Make more money. Get rid of obstacles to making money. Co-ordinate with other money-makers. Losers in the game are losers and deserve to die off.

That's the moral vision.

Yes, yes money is bad. It's evil. It can't buy happiness...Yada yada yada.

Only problem is the ******* guy at the gas station and grocery store insist that I give them some as well as my ******* landlord. Not to mention my creditors and the student loan people.

And for those who say money won't buy happiness, well they just do the know where to ******* shop.

If you ever win the lotto let me know and I'll be glad to take that filthy lucre off your clean lily white hands.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:01 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
I'm also quite aware of other authoritarian regimes.

Figured you were but there are so few "communist" states around anymore and I wanted to use Russia to illustrate my point.
Quote:
And if it's your position that the banning fake news organizations access to the White House Press Room a violation of freedom of speech you are incorrect.

That is absolutely not my position. I'm not one of those handwringing "slippery slope" worry-warts. We need a better, more precise definition of "fake news", though. AS with the dossier brouhaha at the last press conference; BuzzFeed posted the content an unverified, unsubstantiated report (and identified it as such) which had been seen by a number of people in Washington. The stories might be inaccurate or even fictional, but the existence of the dossier is a fact. Leaving aside any ethical questions surrounding the release of the dossier, BuzzFeed didn't post "fake news".

And Trump was really off the mark when he accused CNN — all they did was report that Buzzfeed had posted article. Definitely not "fake news". But I do think that news sources should be scrutinized and when fictional stories are discovered to have been maliciously concocted and spread as news I wouldn't mind seeing some criminal indictments and hefty fines.
Quote:
They can exercise their freedom of speech anywhere else other than the White House Press Room after they're banned from it

Right on, Comrade!
ossobucotemp

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:15 pm
@wmwcjr,
I will miss you. You and I differ sometimes, but I think we listen. I disagree with you re your leaving for a while as I think your points are generally a boost for conversation.

On your insults, yes, you lost your temper. I've done that, ask Max. No reason to martyr yourself.

On your targets, George pisses me off, more and more lately, but I don't hate him.
Yet.

On Layman, I don't understand your piousness, apologizing for your reasonably expressed distaste.

0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:34 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I live in Italy.

Be careful when Rudy Guede is freed. (This isn't imminent, but it's coming, probably around 2020.)

Bad things are likely to happen once he's back out on the streets. You don't want to suffer due to Italy's bad Karma.

And be careful of that supervolcano that's clearing its throat.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:36 pm
@RABEL222,
late replay: snort! impolite for a woman, I may have never snorted except with nose clogging.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:37 pm
@roger,
I remember him. I think he woke me up.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:39 pm
@RABEL222,
I'm a woman, gaddammit.
hightor

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
For eight years we have been led by a man who was so egotistical that he believed that he alone could not only reform our system of government but transform our entire society, but because he eschewed the bombast on which Trump thrives, and assumed the guise of the Philosopher King his more massive ego was not as demonstrable or feared.

Jeez man, I'm starting to feel awful thinking how much people must have suffered under the guy. A Philosopher King — who knew? Honestly, Finn, the guy seems to have affected you a whole lot more than he affected me. I see it differently. The parties aren't all that ideologically cohesive. Voters are not that intellectually curious. Candidates are not that conniving or clever. In '08 BHO was fresh and the country was sick of GWB. Star power has been one of the Dem's tactics, at least since Bill started doing the rounds of late night TV and people were talking about his boxer shorts. Obama was perfect for the time — nifty bio, interesting guy — not quite your usual Democrat. Lacking certain political skills, he still managed to project an image of discipline and integrity, and contrary to Trump's view of the country, I don't think we're that bad off. But "Philosopher King"??? I thought he was just winging it.

Quote:
...I see Trump surrounding himself with advisers who are anything but sycophants...

Some of this is just going to have to play out — way too early to tell.

Quote:
The task of substantially reforming our corrupt and decrepit government is not going to be an easy one, and, I believe, it will take the leadership of someone who is unpredictable, determined and unafraid.

Even if I thought that our government was as corrupt and decrepit as you do (and I don't), I'd rather see incremental reforms spurred by changes in the economy and developments society and addressed in legislation than a wholesale ideologically-based top-down makeover by corporate titans answering to a real estate tycoon.
Debra Law

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:46 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
. . . Serious conflict between him and the rest of the party will likely happen in the manner it does in Australia or Canada - when lower politicos perceive likely electoral damage to them up the road. That is a distinct possibility in this case because Trump is such an abnormal individual as president and because his favorability ratings are unprecedentedly low and getting lower.

But, the people are told they can't believe their lying eyes and ears. Any criticism of Trump via reference to "facts" is simply an OUTRAGEOUS attempt to DELIGITMIZE the almighty Trump.

Trump's lies are now "alternative facts" and any criticism of "alternative facts" is not LEGITIMATE and won't be tolerated. In other words, Trump has the greatest favorability ratings, which keep getting higher and higher, of any president ever in the history of our nation.

Down is up; wrong is right; fiction is fact. We presently live in a world where the truth doesn't matter and words don't matter. Truth and honor have been trivialized and while we fight the war against the propaganda machine, tremendous damage to our world order has been and is taking place. Trump is just the outrageous narcissistic buffoon who is starring in this new orchestrated "reality show". It was probably the easiest way for Putin, et al., and his comrades (Tillerman, et al.) to conquer America and take control.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:52 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Even if I thought that our government was as corrupt and decrepit as you do (and I don't), I'd rather see incremental reforms spurred by changes in the economy and developments society and addressed in legislation than a wholesale ideologically-based top-down makeover by corporate titans answering to a real estate tycoon.

The govt corruption and decrepitude are what holds back the changes in the economy. Trump has said he will do what he can to rid the nation of needless regulations that have stifle both employment and creation of new business. When the govt step aside, the nation will prosper.
cicerone imposter

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:57 pm
@McGentrix,
Where would you like the government to step aside?
McGentrix

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Take a gander at the Constitution and anything not clearly delineated a federal government job is where I would like it to step aside.
cicerone imposter

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:17 pm
@McGentrix,
You're talking in riddles. Be specific, if possible.
McGentrix

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You're talking in riddles. Be specific, if possible.

The US constitution outlines ALL of the functions and duties of the Federal Government. If it is not written in the US Constitution, the Federal Govt should not be doing it.

Is that clear enough?
cicerone imposter

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:23 pm
@McGentrix,
I said be specific; give an example?
georgeob1

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:47 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

The govt corruption and decrepitude are what holds back the changes in the economy. Trump has said he will do what he can to rid the nation of needless regulations that have stifle both employment and creation of new business. When the govt step aside, the nation will prosper.

I suspect one of the first challenges will arise amid the planning for the forthcoming infrastructure investment. I suspect that as a property developer he has already encountered the Byzantine NEPA permitting process for such development. The time required for the permit often is as great as that required for construction and the cost is usually greater than that for the engineering design .... if you are lucky. Environmental lawyers will be lined up across the country for service to the professional "intervenors" interested in extracting payment for phony claims involving endangered subspecies of insects and other like matters.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
FEMA, EPA, Federal Estate and to a certain degree, Dodd-Frank
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 06:35 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
I'm also quite aware of other authoritarian regimes.

Figured you were but there are so few "communist" states around anymore and I wanted to use Russia to illustrate my point.
Quote:
And if it's your position that the banning fake news organizations access to the White House Press Room a violation of freedom of speech you are incorrect.

That is absolutely not my position. I'm not one of those handwringing "slippery slope" worry-warts. We need a better, more precise definition of "fake news", though. AS with the dossier brouhaha at the last press conference; BuzzFeed posted the content an unverified, unsubstantiated report (and identified it as such) which had been seen by a number of people in Washington. The stories might be inaccurate or even fictional, but the existence of the dossier is a fact. Leaving aside any ethical questions surrounding the release of the dossier, BuzzFeed didn't post "fake news".

And Trump was really off the mark when he accused CNN — all they did was report that Buzzfeed had posted article. Definitely not "fake news". But I do think that news sources should be scrutinized and when fictional stories are discovered to have been maliciously concocted and spread as news I wouldn't mind seeing some criminal indictments and hefty fines.
Quote:
They can exercise their freedom of speech anywhere else other than the White House Press Room after they're banned from it

Right on, Comrade!

Glad to hear you're not a snowflake. (And don't call me comrade!🇷🇺😝)

Here's the way I see it. The MSM is trying ANYTHING they can do to hurt Trump. I say go on the attack...the more aggressive the better. It can't hurt Trump they have single digit approval rating. Cut them off if necessary.
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 06:52 pm
           https://humorinamerica.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/pc3.jpg?w=620
0 Replies