monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Olivier5

Tue 27 Nov, 2018 09:15 am
@Real Music,
It already exists, and is called "Voice of America".

https://www.voanews.com/programs/tv
revelette1

Tue 27 Nov, 2018 09:20 am
How a photographer captured the image of a migrant mother and her children fleeing tear gas

Quote:
The woman grips both her daughters, one with each hand, as they run away. One child is barefoot; the other is about to fall. Both wear only T-shirts and diapers.

The woman looks back at the smoke from the tear gas they’re trying to escape. Behind them is wire fencing, a partial wall separating them from the United States, and dozens of other migrants, many of them children, also running.

Standing just a few feet away with a mask on, Reuters photojournalist Kim Kyung-Hoon spots the woman, who is hard to miss in her bright purple and blue-green blouse bearing characters from the movie “Frozen.” He snaps a picture, capturing the look on her face as she frantically tries to drag her two small children away from the gas as it spreads.

The powerful image, which appeared on the websites and front pages of American news organizations, including The Washington Post, has provoked outrage on social media. The picture contradicts the image of violent migrants that President Trump had conjured on Twitter and at campaign rallies ahead of the midterm elections.

The smoke from the tear-gas canister, the children in diapers, the look of anguish, the wall in the background, that “Frozen” T-shirt ― all encapsulated the chaos of that day, and for Kim, the truth about Central American migrants, whom he had been following for nearly two weeks as they made their way across Mexico and toward the United States to seek asylum.

“I think my picture tells the story of what’s happening now,” the photographer told The Post.

More and the image here.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 27 Nov, 2018 09:27 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
It already exists, and is called "Voice of America".
VOA director Amanda Bennett stressed that while "government-funded", the agency is not "government-run". (LATimes: Can Donald Trump turn Voice of America into his own private megaphone?)
Below viewing threshold (view)
farmerman

Tue 27 Nov, 2018 05:38 pm
@coldjoint,
how bout buyin a used car from that guy.
coldjoint

Tue 27 Nov, 2018 09:41 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
how bout buyin a used car from that guy.

He claims he is a Christian. And it depends on the car.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 28 Nov, 2018 01:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It would help VOA audience though... :-) Currently nobody ever tunes in VOA, it's like a failed BBC world.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 28 Nov, 2018 03:51 am
@Olivier5,
I only remember when Radio Free Europe and Radio Liberty were "propaganda" programs during the Cold War (and broadcasting from Munich [been there in the studios]).
Builder

Wed 28 Nov, 2018 03:58 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I don't care what Elizabeth Warren says in a one word response to a reporter's question. How were the primaries "fixed" in her favor?

Let me know what it is you would accept as evidence, hi. Elizabeth Warren admits the primaries were rigged in HRC's favour, the head of the DNC quits, and writes a ******* book about why she quit, citing the facts that the primaries were rigged in HRC's favour.

Just what sort of evidence are you seeking, kid?

The DNC will take years to reconstruct itself after being gutted by HRC.

Tell me, in your own words, who in the party will lead the charge at the 2020 election for POTUS.
izzythepush

Wed 28 Nov, 2018 04:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 28 Nov, 2018 06:11 am
@Builder,
So you still can't provide one example of the primaries being "fixed" or "rigged"; you just keep repeating the same lame claim that "somebody wrote a book" or "somebody said". Reporting that someone else claimed something hardly counts as evidence.
Quote:
Just what sort of evidence are you seeking, kid?

If you don't have any facts to back up your statements than just admit that you are merely expressing an opinion.
Quote:
The DNC will take years to reconstruct itself after being gutted by HRC.

So what? Looks like everything she allegedly did was legal. Political parties have historically risen and fallen in popularity and power. What does that have to do with your refusal to back up your assertions with facts?
Quote:
Tell me, in your own words, who in the party will lead the charge at the 2020 election for POTUS.

I don't have any more of an idea than you do. I'm not trying to predict the future of the Democratic Party, I'm asking you to back up your repeated claims that HRC somehow rigged the primary elections. You apparently can't.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 28 Nov, 2018 06:33 am
@hightor,
Trump slams Fed chair, questions climate change and threatens to cancel Putin meeting in a wide-ranging interview with the Washington Post
Quote:
President Trump placed responsibility for recent stock market declines and this week’s announcement of General Motors plant closures and layoffs on the Federal Reserve during an interview Tuesday, shirking any personal blame for cracks in the economy and declaring that he is “not even a little bit happy” with his hand-selected central bank chairman.

In a wide-ranging and sometimes discordant 20-minute interview with The Washington Post, Trump complained at length about Federal Reserve Chair Jerome H. “Jay” Powell, whom he nominated last year. When asked about declines on Wall Street and GM’s announcement that it was laying off 15 percent of its workforce, Trump responded by criticizing higher interest rates and other Fed policies, though he insisted that he is not worried about a recession.

“I’m doing deals, and I’m not being accommodated by the Fed,” Trump said. “They’re making a mistake because I have a gut, and my gut tells me more sometimes than anybody else’s brain can ever tell me.”
... ... ...

>President Trump’s full Washington Post interview transcript, annotated<

A guide to nine false or misleading statements made by the president in his interview with The Washington Post:
>Fact-checking President Trump’s interview with The Washington Post<