Mon 23 Jan, 2017 09:18 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
she also lies a lot, finn.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 09:19 am
@blatham,
possibly an example of "alternate facts"

OOPS). I just went back and saw that this phraqse was suitably bludgeoned previously. Pardon me Im going bck to njoy a plate of Ementhaler and pretzels
giujohn

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 09:30 am
@hightor,
Did you see where I qualified my statement or did I make any exceptions? I'm also quite aware of other authoritarian regimes. And if it's your position that the banning fake news organizations access to the White House Press Room a violation of freedom of speech you are incorrect. They can exercise their freedom of speech anywhere else other than the White House Press Room after they're banned from it.
blatham

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 09:52 am
There's a video here of an excerpt from Trump's speech at CIA headquarters. Watch it. To these guys, who he recently compared to Nazis, he tries to pull of the wrestling promoter style - the grandiosity, the lies, the posturing. This man is sick. But it's important to understand what he's doing.

He's not speaking to that audience assembled at Langley. He's speaking to the American TV audience, particularly his base, who will see it broadcast. In it, you'll hear clapping and laughing and I expect we'll soon find out that he brought along his cheering section as he did in his first press briefing and as we've recently learned he did when he first announced his candidacy (he hired a bunch of actors to surround him).

But there's a couple of things to pay attention to in this appearance. First, the lies, and they are dillies:
Quote:
Trump claimed falsely that the crowd for his swearing-in stretched down the National Mall to the Washington Monument and totaled more than 1 million people. It did not. Trump accused television networks of showing “an empty field” and reporting that he drew just 250,000 people to witness Friday’s ceremony.

“It looked like a million, a million and a half people,” Trump said, falsely claiming that his crowd “went all the way back to the Washington Monument.”

“It’s a lie,” Trump said of the crowd estimates for Friday’s event. “We caught [the media]. We caught them in a beauty.”

Then this one:
Quote:
Trump also misrepresented what happened to the weather during his swearing in. He said he felt a few drops of rain as he started delivering his address, but then, “God looked down and, and he said we’re not going to let it rain on your speech.. . .The truth is it stopped immediately.”

Light rain continued to fall through the first few minutes of the speech — and VIP’s at the dais took out ponchos, including former president George W. Bush — and then quit. Trump said there was a downpour right after he finished, which did not occur.
God, Trump implies, is sanctioning his presidency by control of the weather for Trump's benefit. Guess who he's trying to con with that one. But he's lying about what really happened too. You'd expect this stuff from the leader in North Korea. Not the US president.

And this:
Quote:
Trump declared, “I have a running war with the media. They are among the most dishonest human beings on earth, right?”

Press as the enemy. A proper target for warfare.
Video and text here, WP
blatham

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 09:56 am
@farmerman,
Yeah. Ain't that one a dilly. "We create our own reality" as Rove (probably him) said to Ron Suskind in 2002.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 10:15 am
@farmerman,
Pass the Emmental around, would you?
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 10:15 am
Quote:
The insecure egomaniac-in-chief will almost surely deny awkward truths, and berate the media for reporting them…how do you think the man…will react when the Bureau of Labor Statistics first reports a significant uptick in unemployment or decline in manufacturing jobs? What’s he going to do when the Centers for Disease Control and the Census Bureau report spiking numbers of uninsured Americans? You may have thought that last weekend’s temper tantrum was bad. But there’s much, much worse to come.
NYT
We can all see this coming, right?
blatham

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 10:22 am
Aside from all the noise of Trump and his spokespersons and his war on the press, we have to stay appraised of what is going on as a consequence of his cabinet choices. Here's where the real and consequential stuff is going on. If you thought maybe the Koch crowd were somehow marginalized with a Trump presidency, you'd be very wrong indeed.
Quote:
Anyone laboring under the impression that the new Trump administration will be all bark and no bite when it comes to overturning long-established bipartisan policies should watch Team Trump’s assault on the Environmental Protection Agency closely. Aside from appointing Scott Pruitt, who is mainly familiar with EPA as a hated adversary in court, to be in charge of that agency, plans for an initial regulatory wave and budgetary policies amount to a 180-degree turn in environmental enforcement, as reported today by Axios. They include the complete elimination of climate-change programs; a half-billion-dollars in funding cuts for EPA grants to state and local governments; an immediate halt to Clean Air Act regulations affecting new and existing power plants; an about-face on auto emissions standards; and a general defanging of EPA’s crucial ability to overrule federal and state regulations that pose environmental dangers.
NY Mag
blatham

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 10:32 am
Today's winner of our "Holy ****! Did that guy really say that?!" award

Quote:
No less a figure than Spicer himself claimed to grasp this simple distinction when he spoke to students at the Institute of Politics at the University of Chicago just two weeks ago. “I’ve never lied,” he said, “and I’d argue that anyone who is an aspiring communicator adhere to that, because if you lose the respect and trust of the press corps, you’ve got nothing.”
New Republic
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 10:37 am
@blatham,
This is terrible.. these are environmental fools.
blatham

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 10:45 am
@ossobucotemp,
They are corporate sharks. It's the nature of the beast. Make money. Make more money. Get rid of obstacles to making money. Co-ordinate with other money-makers. Losers in the game are losers and deserve to die off.

That's the moral vision.
layman

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 10:52 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

But there’s much, much worse to come.

That's right, cheese-eaters!

Well, close to right, anyway.

Actually the **** you're gunna suffer is gunna be much, much, much, much, MUCH more worser.
blatham

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 10:55 am
More on the Trump speech at CIA headdquarters
Quote:
Trump’s unscripted remarks were, instead, largely about himself, even as he praised Mike Pompeo—a West Point and Harvard Law School graduate, Kansas congressman, and Tea Party supporter—as his choice to lead the C.I.A.

“No. 1 in his class at West Point,” Trump said. “Now, I know a lot about West Point. I’m a person that very strongly believes in academics. In fact, every time I say I had an uncle who was a great professor at M.I.T. for thirty-five years, who did a fantastic job in so many different ways, academically—was an academic genius—and then they say, Is Donald Trump an intellectual? Trust me, I’m like a smart persona.”

Apparently as proof, the President noted that he had set an “all-time record” in Time magazine cover stories. “Like, if Tom Brady is on the cover, it’s one time, because he won the Super Bowl or something, right?” he told the intelligence officials. “I’ve been on it for fifteen times this year. I don’t think that’s a record that can ever be broken.” Time told Politico’s Playbook that it had published eleven Trump covers—and had done fifty-five cover stories about Richard Nixon.
New Yorker

Imagine the trust this inspires in Trump as their President.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 11:00 am
@layman,
Be specific. What do you have in mind?
layman

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 11:05 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Press as the enemy. A proper target for warfare.

Well, it's not a war all by it's own lonesome self. It's just one battle in the war on ISIS.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 11:09 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Be specific. What do you have in mind?

According to Bannon, it's gunna be an ass-whuppin, curb-bitin, jackboot face-stompin extravaganza, from what I hear-tell, eh, Ollie?

Last chance to head for Canada.
Lash

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 11:32 am
Bernie Sanders applauded Trump's dumping the TPP. Hope this is the first of many issues of bipartisan cooperation. Hope Trump is smart enough to exploit the common ground to build relationships.

(fingers crossed)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 11:46 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Aside from all the noise of Trump and his spokespersons and his war on the press, we have to stay appraised of what is going on as a consequence of his cabinet choices. Here's where the real and consequential stuff is going on. If you thought maybe the Koch crowd were somehow marginalized with a Trump presidency, you'd be very wrong indeed.
Quote:
Anyone laboring under the impression that the new Trump administration will be all bark and no bite when it comes to overturning long-established bipartisan policies should watch Team Trump’s assault on the Environmental Protection Agency closely........

The article you cited grossly exaggerated the supposed "assault" on the EPA. There was no "180 degree turn" in environmental enforcement: the RECRA and CERCLA laws are still in effect and EPA's enforcement powers are quite intact. The practice of EPA and other agency "grants" to state governments are an unwarranted addition to the power of Federal bureaucracies, and often constitute an invasion of state sovereignty. - I expect we'll see more such reductions ahead. The rescinded Clean Air Act regulations were an unwarranted administrative fiat extending the law well beyond its intitial limits. I expect a second action to similarly limit EPA's recent extention of the Clean Water act to puddles in the back yards of homeowners and in fermer's fields, to follow shortly. Both were major departures from decades of practice. initiated by mere administrative action of the now departed Obama Admnistration.

I am mistified by your reference to your favorite bogeymen, the Koch Brothers. No where have they been mentioned in this imbroglio.

In all of this you (and the magazines you cite) betray a lack of knowledge of the specifics of issues about which you pontificate so broadly.
maporsche

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 11:47 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

And even after 20 years, the Democrats won't be returning to power until a new generation of Democrats decides that it is time to purge all the wacky extremists from the Democratic Party, and then does so.

What does that democratic party look like to you? What policies do they not support that they support today? What new policies will they support?
0 Replies

layman

Mon 23 Jan, 2017 12:09 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

In all of this you (and the magazines you cite) betray a lack of knowledge of the specifics of issues about which you pontificate so broadly.

This aint about facts or knowledge, George. A cheese-eater don't need no stinkin facts. He has feelings.

And ideology.

An over-abundance of both.
0 Replies