monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Real Music

Wed 21 Nov, 2018 10:15 pm
Chief Justice Roberts Issues Rare Rebuke To Trump; Trump Fires Back.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/21/670079601/chief-justice-roberts-issues-rare-rebuke-to-trump
coldjoint

Wed 21 Nov, 2018 11:35 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
Chief Justice Roberts Issues Rare Rebuke To Trump; Trump Fires Back.

Don't forget Obama at his SOTU, he insulted the judges. Lincoln was at odds with the chief justice at the time. Just something to criticize Trump for that is no big deal.
InfraBlue

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
@oralloy,
Nuh-uh
InfraBlue

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:14 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Nuh-uh.
Your antisemitism is appalling.

Nope.
oralloy

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:50 am
@InfraBlue,
I assure you that I am appalled by your antisemitism.
oralloy

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:52 am
@InfraBlue,
Why makes you spout such hateful lies about Israel anyway?
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 04:34 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
So a Saudi citizen is killed in a Saudi embassy in Turkey, and that makes it a problem for the US?

Apparently, yes. Haven't you been reading the news?
Quote:
I acknowledge that the killing was wrong, [that's big of you] and abhorrent, but what exactly should Trump do?
Should we bomb Saudi Arabia?
Should we send an assassination team to Saudi Arabia to kill somebody?

Why would we respond in such a wrong and abhorrent manner? What's wrong with you — the first response that comes to your feverish imagination is to bomb a country and kill somebody?
Quote:
Tell us, exactly what should the US do?

First thing, what gives you the idea that there even is some "exact" sequence of events which we "should" do? Do you really think reality conforms to some script and that someone on a message board can write it down for you?

Second, the question is ridiculously open-ended — what "should" the US do: for the USA? for the Saudis? for Yemen? for Turkey? for the international rule of law? for corporate profits? What we "should" do depends on the results we wish to see. How much leadership do we want to exert in the Middle East and what changes can we realistically hope to effect?

I'd suggest that, as of now, Mr. Trump seems to value his relationship with the Crown Prince and our economic ties to S.A. more than he values our country's historic role in championing human rights (even as we sell arms to dictators), more than he cares about the fate of the American citizen, Dr. Fitaihi, who has been detained in the Kingdom without trial for over a year. Congress may have a different response.
hightor

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 04:44 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Don't forget Obama at his SOTU, he insulted the judges.

What are you even talking about? When he deferentially criticized the "Citizen's United" ruling? Did he say something about "Bush judges"? Did he threaten to "do something" about a circuit court?
Quote:
Lincoln was at odds with the chief justice at the time.

So what? Did he suggest the guy was unfit for the office because he'd been appointed by a president from another political party?
Olivier5

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 05:05 am
@oralloy,
Likewise, I am appalled by your antisemitism. So what?
MontereyJack

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 05:41 am
@coldjoint,
trump deserved the rebuke
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 07:11 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

What's wrong with you — the first response that comes to your feverish imagination is to bomb a country and kill somebody?.

You sound surprised. I think it's about par for the course.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 08:11 am
@hightor,
Turkey says the CIA has a 'smoking gun' tape nailing the Saudi crown prince: in the telephone conversation with his brother Mohammed bin Salman says, according to Turkish sources, that Khashoggi should be "silenced as soon as possible".
hightor

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 08:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Turkey says the CIA has a 'smoking gun' tape nailing the Saudi crown prince...

You mean the "Clinton Intelligence Agency"? — it's filled with Obama supporters, you know.
hightor

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 08:27 am
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/11/22/us/politics/22dc-trade-print/22dc-trade2-threeByTwoLargeAt2X.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale&width=1620
Justin wore it better.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:11 am
@hightor,
Indeed.

Quote:
Speaking to reporters at his Florida resort, President Trump said the CIA had not come to a conclusion that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the killing of Washington Post contributing columnist Jamal Khashoggi.

Trump brushed aside the intelligence community’s assessment that the crown prince had ordered the killing and reiterated that Saudi Arabia was too valuable an ally to lose over the incident. “I hate the crime…I hate the coverup. I will tell you this: The crown prince hates it more than I do,” Trump said.
WaPo
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:29 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Did he say something about "Bush judges"?

It does not matter, Obama dissed the court at his SOTU.
Quote:
Did he suggest the guy was unfit for the office because he'd been appointed by a president from another political party?

Not sure, I just said that to let people know it is not unusual, or new.
coldjoint

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:34 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Justin wore it better.

Justin probably had matching crotchless panties on with it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:55 am
Something unusual and new: Trump hints could make first visit to Afghanistan
Quote:
PALM BEACH, Florida (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump hinted on Thursday he may visit Afghanistan, scene of one of America’s longest wars but a country he has yet to visit almost two years into his presidency.
coldjoint

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:56 am
Quote:
WATCH: Judge Orders Hillary to Answer These Two Questions Under Oath

Quote:
The moment many conservatives have been waiting for may have just arrived. A judge just ordered Hillary Clinton to answer two questions under oath provided by Judicial Watch. Before, when asked these questions, Clinton answered with, “I don’t recall.” However, that answer will not be good enough this time! She must actually answer two questions in full.

Interestingly, Judicial Watch announced today that a federal judge has ruled that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has 30 days to answer questions under oath about her email server. Justice may finally be served.

Must be a "Trump judge".
https://westernfreepress.com/watch-judge-orders-hillary-to-answer-these-two-questions-under-oath-jl/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 22 Nov, 2018 11:37 am
Quote:
One of George Soros's lieutenants has called on US politicians to probe Facebook, after the social network confirmed that it had hired a PR firm to make claims about the financier.

The head of Mr Soros's grant-making network claimed Facebook had smeared the philanthropist, adding "this needs independent, congressional oversight".

Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook's deputy chief, has also clarified her role.

She said she had been told of the PR firm but had not remembered its name.

The latest developments follow the social network's decision to publish a memo by its departing communications chief, Elliot Schrage.

In it, he confirmed Facebook had directed the PR firm Definers to investigate Soros's links to the Freedom from Facebook campaign, which is seeking the company's break-up.

Mr Schrage added that related documents were then sent to journalists on Facebook's behalf.

The memo had originally been sent to Facebook's staff and had already been leaked to the news site Techcrunch .

But its re-publication by Facebook represented the first confirmation that Definers had not been engaged in a rogue operation.

Patrick Gaspard, president of Mr Soros's Open Society Foundations, responded by calling for an official investigation, and suggested that Facebook had deliberately timed the revelation to coincide with the US Thanksgiving holiday.

In addition to publishing Mr Schrage's message, Facebook also issued an update from its chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg.

A week ago, she wrote written that she had not known that Facebook had hired Definers, the PR firm involved, nor knew about the work it had done on her company's behalf.

Chief executive Mark Zuckerberg had also described both himself and his deputy as having been kept "out of the loop".

Ms Sandberg now acknowledges that she had in fact been told about the company.

"Last week, I didn't remember a firm called Definers," she wrote.

"I asked our team to look into the work Definers did for us and to double-check whether anything had crossed my desk,

"Some of their work was incorporated into materials presented to me and I received a small number of emails where Definers was referenced."

Ms Sandberg added that she rejected claims that her firm had sought to put the spotlight on Mr Soros in order to exploit racist conspiracy theories against him.

"It was never anyone's intention to play into an anti-Semitic narrative against Mr Soros or anyone else. Being Jewish is a core part of who I am and our company stands firmly against hate," she wrote.

Some company-watchers have suggested that Facebook's decision to publish the memo marks an attempt to protect Ms Sandberg.

She had reportedly angered "many people" within her firm by attempting to distance herself from the controversy, according to an earlier report by the Wall Street Journal, which said she had a reputation for closely managing Facebook's media strategies.

Mr Schrage wrote that he took responsibility for the affair.

He said that his team had only asked Definers to look into Mr Soros after the billionaire had described the social network as being a "menace to society".

But Mr Schrage provided no evidence that Mr Soros was more directly involved in the campaign.

And although he acknowledged that he "should have known of the decision to expand [Definers'] mandate," he did not address specifically how he thought the PR firm had overstepped the mark.

His memo did, however, touch on the fact that Facebook has become prone to leaks.

"I'm deeply disappointed that so much internal discussion and finger pointing has become public," Mr Schrage wrote.

"This is a serious threat to our culture and ability to work together in difficult times."

The New York Times has also published a follow-up report to its original expose about Facebook and Definers.

It contains claims that Definers also engaged in a campaign against Apple at a time the PR firm was working for the chip-maker Qualcomm - the two tech firms are involved in a long-running legal battle.

The report alleges that Definers promoted the idea that Tim Cook might seek to become US President in 2020, which the newspaper suggested had been done to undermine the Apple chief executive's relationship with President Trump.

The BBC has contacted all three companies for comment but has not had a response.

The NYT did, however, publish a statement from Definers saying its work was "absolutely no different than what public affairs firms do every day for their clients across industries and issues across the country".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46302140
0 Replies