monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

najmelliw

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 10:04 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maporsche wrote:
I hate this protectionist bullshit so much that I’ve actively made choices to NOT buy American in the last year.
More than any other policy, I want this anti-trade stuff to fail. I think it’s the 2nd worst thing he’s done after the credit-card-unnecessary-tax-cuts.
Why are you against American workers?

Trump's protections for the American auto industry are a good thing.

Bapsch... I think a claim can be made that the american auto industry partly failed so disastrously because they were never pushed to conform to the ever changing market standards... This sort of thing may 'help' in the short term, but ultimately fail in the long term.

Then again, I have no clue what Trump is going to be about that coal industry he wants to revitalize... Perhaps he wants the car industry to start producing steam-powered engines again??? A return to the good old days?
oralloy

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 10:12 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Besides American soybean farmers, American manufacturers are also being squeezed. Machinery and components used in finished goods made in the United States have been affected. U.S. manufacturers are having to pay more for parts and equipment, thereby putting them at a competitive disadvantage to foreign rivals.
"Cars or trucks with at least 75% of their components made in the United States, Mexico, or Canada can be sold with zero tariffs. As this is an increase from the current requirement of 62.5%, the deal is intended to incentivize the production of cars in North America. Also, 30% of the work done on these cars must be done by workers who earn US$16 per hour (which is not indexed to inflation) starting in 2020. The percentage increases to 40% by 2023.[18]"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States%E2%80%93Mexico%E2%80%93Canada_Agreement

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- The Trump administration announced on Tuesday that it would provide up to $12 billion in emergency relief for farmers hurt by the president's trade war, moving to blunt the financial damage to American agriculture and the political fallout for Republicans as the consequences of President Trump's protectionist policies roll through the economy.
"The dairy provisions are similar, but slightly higher, to those Canada agreed to in the never-ratified Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), giving the U.S. tariff-free access to 3.6%, up from 3.25% under TPP, of the $15.2 billion (as of 2016) Canadian dairy market.[14][15] Canada agreed to eliminate Class 7 pricing provisions on certain dairy products, while Canada's domestic supply management system remains in place.[16] Canada agreed to raise the duty-free limit on purchases from the U.S. to $150 from the previous $20 level, allowing Canadian consumers to have greater duty-free access to the U.S market.[17]"

Same wiki article as above.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 10:18 am
@najmelliw,
najmelliw wrote:
Bapsch... I think a claim can be made that the american auto industry partly failed so disastrously because they were never pushed to conform to the ever changing market standards... This sort of thing may 'help' in the short term, but ultimately fail in the long term.
How would a hypothetical "25% tariff on any car not made mostly in North America by workers paid decent wages" fail in the long term?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 10:20 am
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45412367_10155807563213045_8679443299586539520_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=6ad514617f365f44b0a03acb510eef94&oe=5C876B30
Baldimo

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 11:09 am
@ehBeth,
This is the lies told by those who don't want to see an American first policy, the leftist politicians who are not proud Americans and run their political campaigns based on the wants and needs of non-US citizens. There is no color of an American, so stop pushing this crap.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
coldjoint

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 12:48 pm
Quote:
Obama Shows Up In Miami & Tries To Be Trump, Hecklers Teach Him Nasty Lesson

Laughing Laughing Laughing Do they actually think Obama learned anything?
https://madworldnews.com/obama-miami-trump-hecklers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=madworldnews
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 12:50 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrKNN-cWoAEUEFH.jpg
Gun control is part of her platform. Hmm.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrKNN-cWoAEUEFH.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 12:51 pm
Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - NBC and Fox News said on Monday they pulled a television advertisement on immigration that was endorsed by President Donald Trump and deemed “racist” by CNN.

The primetime ads, paid for by Donald J. Trump for President, ran during a “Sunday Night Football” broadcast and linked Luis Bracamontes, an undocumented immigrant convicted of killing two sheriff’s deputies in California in 2014 to the caravan of immigrants fleeing Central America.

The ad was placed on the popular football broadcast to encourage voters to choose candidates from Trump’s Republican party in midterm elections on Tuesday that will determine whether Republicans retain control of the U.S. Congress.

“After further review we recognize the insensitive nature of the ad and have decided to cease airing it across our properties as soon as possible,” said a spokesperson for NBC Universal, owned by Comcast Corp (CMCSA.O), in an emailed statement on Monday.

The ad was earlier rejected by CNN who labeled it “racist.”

“CNN has made it abundantly clear in its editorial coverage that this ad is racist. When presented with an opportunity to be paid to take a version of this ad, we declined. Those are the facts,” the network tweeted on Nov. 3.

Fox News issued a statement about taking down the ad shortly after NBC, according to a CNN report.

“Upon further review, Fox News pulled the ad yesterday and it will not appear on either Fox News Channel or Fox Business Network,” Marianne Gambelli, Fox News’ president of advertisement sales, told CNN in a statement.
reuters
coldjoint

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 12:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
“CNN has made it abundantly clear in its editorial coverage that this ad is racist.

That makes it an opinion, no matter who might agree with it. Next.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 12:57 pm
@coldjoint,
The Ifop poll measured voting intentions for the European Parliament elections May 2019.

Le Pen’s National Rally was called until recently Front National, a the neo-Nazi party.
coldjoint

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 01:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
the neo-Nazi party.

Why? Because you and the media say so? It doesn't work that way. It is hot air that dissipates more each day.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 01:36 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Why? Because you and the media say so?
Well, you certainly are aware and have read their own reason about the change from Front national pour l'unité française (FNUF) ["Front national (FN)"] to Rassemblement national (RN).
And as a connoisseur of Europe you know that the new name is only close identical to that of the Rassemblement national populaire, the fascist and collaborationist party during the Occupation.
coldjoint

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 01:51 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
And as a connoisseur of Europe

I only care about Europe because they show us not what to do. Their mistakes through the 20th and 21st century have fucked the whole world up. And they did it twice.

I could care less if you wish to destroy yourselves (and you are) just do not expect to take America with you.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 01:55 pm
@coldjoint,
Thanks for that response to my post. It certainly explains a lot about the FN.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Nov, 2018 02:23 pm
Narrow minded as I am ... je suis sûr que j'en sais plus que tu sur le paysage politique français en général, le FN et le temps d'Occupation en particulier.