monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:39 pm
Quote:
The End of Free Expression in Europe

It has been over for a while.
Quote:
Speaking of freedom of expression, an Austrian woman has been convicted of speaking ill, that is, of blaspheming the Prophet Mohammed. She called him a pedophile, and in today’s enlightened liberal Europe such expressions are forbidden.

The woman was convicted in Austria. Her conviction was upheld by the European Court of Human Rights.

You realize this means the truth backed by information in holy text is not to be told? It sure does. This is submission and more proof that an aggressive intolerant culture is winning through nothing more than the threat of violence and an extreme lack of backbone.

Quote:
On what grounds did the court find against the woman?

On the grounds that speaking ill of the Prophet Mohammed would hurt the feelings of Austrian Muslims and thus would provoke public disorder. So much for free expression.

We are living in a world where great Western judges follow a higher law-- the sensitivities of Muslims. Judges shut down free speech because they have become completely terrorized by certain segments of the Muslim communities.

Thus the great tradition of Western freedom of expression has been compromised by raw and cowardly fear. Thus has Western culture been undermined by people who refuse to accept its founding principles. Tell us again why we should open our doors to everyone, indiscriminately.

https://stuartschneiderman.blogspot.com/2018/10/the-end-of-free-expression-in-europe.html?spref=fb
glitterbag

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:50 pm
@georgeob1,
I don’t know George, if these packages had been sent to various religious leaders the country would be outraged.....and I doubt that any atheist would be complaining or trying to modify the reactions. It’s truly wonderful that no one has been hurt, but how else should it have been handled? We really don’t know yet if any of those devices were active, I know I wouldn’t want to open it if it showed up in my mail room.
Ultimately the ‘terrorist’s’ goal was to sow terror.....and he did. It’s unacceptable, it’s virtually a death threat. These threats have to be taken seriously.

For the others who think the media is making too much of a big deal, they can relax. If the last two years are indicative of future coverage, another outrage will occur and the news will move along. Then we can happily start talking about Hillary’s private server like normal again.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:54 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
The woman was convicted in Austria. Her conviction was upheld by the European Court of Human Rights.
No. It's the "European Court of Human Rights", not a criminal court of Austria.

ECHR wrote:
FOR THESE REASONS, THE COURT, UNANIMOUSLY,

1. Declares the application admissible;
2. Holds that there has been no violation of Article 10 of the Convention.
CASE OF E.S. v. AUSTRIA
glitterbag

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 01:02 pm
I just saw Jeff Sessions address the country regarding these mailings. He said everything that was needed to be said. He stated that this country will not tolerate threats or violence directed at our citizens, they will be found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

FBI Director Wray is now speaking, He said that some of these devices indeed have the ability to explode. He stressed this is no hoax, and described the efforts to apprehend the perpetrator. It’s nothing short of amazing, I think we should be thankful for the fine work of the FBI and other bureaus. Wray also stressed there may still be packages en route, and the threat may not be over.

Let’s give the FBI a big round of applause.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 01:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
No.

Yes.
Quote:

The ECHR found there had been no violation of Article 10 (freedom of expression) of the European Convention on Human Rights.

In a statement on Thursday the ECHR said: 'The Court found in particular that the domestic courts comprehensively assessed the wider context of the applicant’s statements and carefully balanced her right to freedom of expression with the right of others to have their religious feelings protected, and served the legitimate aim of preserving religious peace in Austria.'
https://stuartschneiderman.blogspot.com/2018/10/the-end-of-free-expression-in-europe.html?spref=fb

Once upon a time, certain judges and justices in the American legal system decided that they should not just judge cases by the rule of American law, but should also make use of international law, the kind the European courts concoct.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 01:20 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
No.

Yes.
I gave the link to the case, and didn't rely to some obscure blog opinion, whose writer obviously doesn't know what the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms is about.

Although it was quoted in the ruling, here's the summary from wikipedia:

Quote:
Article 10 provides the right to freedom of expression, subject to certain restrictions that are "in accordance with law" and "necessary in a democratic society". This right includes the freedom to hold opinions, and to receive and impart information and ideas, but allows restrictions for:

- interests of national security
- territorial integrity or public safety
- prevention of disorder or crime
- protection of health or morals
- protection of the reputation or the rights of others
- preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence
maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary

And before someone gets confused again with Europe and the EU: all Council of Europe member states are party to the Convention and new members are expected to ratify the convention at the earliest opportunity.

https://i.imgur.com/1eQqDJ4.jpg
47 Council of Europe member states

https://i.imgur.com/IZdScA9.jpg
coldjoint

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 01:26 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I gave the link to the case,

Well, good for you. Go get a German pastry, or a nice big sausage. You are trying to justify laws that take away basic freedoms at the whim of the court. Good luck, your freedom of speech is gone.
coldjoint

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 01:34 pm
Quote:
Paul Joseph Watson
‏Verified account @PrisonPlanet

Cesar Sayoc - the alleged mail bomber - had Trump stickers all over his vehicle. But on Twitter, he only follows 32 people - many of whom are left-wingers like Lina Dunham, Barack Obama and Jimmy Kimmel.

What gives?

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1055859538006552576?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1055859538006552576&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheblacksphere.net%2F2018%2F10%2Fbreaking-arrest-made-in-fake-bomb-case%2F
Walter Hinteler

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 01:35 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Well, good for you. Go get a German pastry, or a nice big sausage. You are trying to justify laws that take away basic freedoms at the whim of the court.
You don't get it or can't read.
But why did I expect that?
coldjoint

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 01:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
You don't get it or can't read.

No, you don't get it and never will. And I do not give a **** about what you expect.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 01:42 pm
@coldjoint,
Well, sometimes I really don't get it ... that 47 European countries agree to Human Rights.
coldjoint

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 01:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
that 47 European countries agree to Human Rights.

That makes 47 countries complicit in enabling Sharia.
glitterbag

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 01:49 pm
@coldjoint,
You need to get your meds checked.
coldjoint

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 01:55 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
You need to get your meds checked.

You need to find another hobby.
glitterbag

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 01:56 pm
@coldjoint,
You’re starting to sound frantic.
coldjoint

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 02:08 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:

No, I am not, you are frantic because no one is listening to you anymore. It could be because you never say anything that has not been repeated 10 times or because you just want to demean anyone who disagrees with your opinion, which isn't yours, just a narrative.
hightor

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 02:11 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
A Twitter account, which shares much of the same imagery and language as posts found on Mr. Sayoc’s other social media accounts, has posted more than 1,200 times since April 2016. The account posted attacks on immigrants, gun-control advocates and prominent Democrats. In one tweet posted several weeks ago, the account posted a photo of Mr. Sayoc holding a “CNN Sucks” sign.

source
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 03:20 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
In one tweet posted several weeks ago, the account posted a photo of Mr. Sayoc holding a “CNN Sucks” sign.

Oh My God!!

Journalists are such self-centered prima donnas

FOX News' resident Trump-Hater, Shep Smith also made a big deal about the "CNN Sucks" sign.

I saw it reported that he also had on his van a photo of HRC with crosshairs superimposed upon it.

I don't know about you, Smith or the NYT, but I find the photo he had of her a hell of a lot more disturbing and in keeping with his alleged crimes than a CNN Sucks sign.

I think CNN sucks too, but that hardly is an indication of any violent propensities I might or might not have.

BTW - Since I know you are not a fan of FOX, I'm guessing you didn't see Smith's show today. It's called Shepherd Smith Reporting, but should be named Shepherd Smith Editorializing. In any case, he had Chris Wallace on as a guest and I don't know if he expected Wallace to agree with him, but he essentially blamed Trump for the bomb packages, and Wallace pretty vociferously disagreed with him; rightly asking if he believed Bernie Sanders was responsible for the miscreant who tried to kill half a dozen Republican congressmen and very nearly succeeded with one. Smith got heated and began to overtalk Wallace so I'm not exactly sure what he said, but it was clear he considered the two incidents very different and again brought up the "CNN Sucks" sign as if that was all the proof we need of his contention that Trump is responsible.

I imagine a great many people who do not watch FOX assume that Wallace is a conservative. I've watched him for years and I honestly can't tell you the side on which he resides or to which he leans. It's what I look for and very much respect in a journalist. I do though have the very distinct impression that he doesn't at all like Trump's attacks against the press which, of course, is not an indication of either political viewpoint and is not surprising in the case of any journalist. In any case, it's clear he won't allow his displeasure with Trump on this score to mar his journalistic integrity, nor will he stand silent when someone else does.

I think Trump's broad enemy of the people comment was erroneous and irresponsible and many of his attacks against the press are, at best, petty, but CNN does suck and has made itself an enemy of Trump and by extension Republicans in general and Trump supporters in particular. To a lesser, but still real, degree so has the NYT and WaPo. All three have more than once published what actually does amount to fake news stories that are clearly intended to cause Trump difficulties. Maybe they've been duped by unscrupulous sources, but in the Age of Trump they have decided its appropriate to lower their journalistic standards.

They have a right to fight back against what they believe are dishonest attacks from the president, but if they do in a way that compromises journalistic integrity than they have no right play the Bulwark of Democracy card they treasure so much.

RABEL222

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 04:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The really sad part of immigration is that we didn't have a Trump type president when Trumps relatives applied for citizenship. We wouldn't presidently have a lier as president.
najmelliw

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 06:20 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

No, I am not, you are frantic because no one is listening to you anymore. It could be because you never say anything that has not been repeated 10 times or because you just want to demean anyone who disagrees with your opinion, which isn't yours, just a narrative.

Sorry, I'm confused. It sounds as if you are talking about your own posts here? They certainly fit the bill!