Region Philbis

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 09:19 am
@Finn dAbuzz,

https://i.imgur.com/n7bjjiy.jpg
coldjoint

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:01 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Shouldn't some kind of state of emergency be declared or something?

What is the emergency?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Blickers

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:07 am
Now that there's a suspect, remember there's a chance he might not be guilty. Remember Richard Jewell.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:24 am
@Region Philbis,
I hope they have the right guy. This guy seems to have taken no steps to avoid apprehension. It wouldn’t be surprising to find he is mentally ill, but all the “experts” have been saying the profile for these guys includes above average intelligence. I guess that doesn’t mean a moron could not do something like this, but it’s strange, unless for some reason he wanted to be quickly caught. Just speculation at this point. Hard to imagine they don’t have a lot more on him other than he’s a guy with prior terrorism arrests who lives in Florida.
coldjoint

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:27 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
remember there's a chance he might not be guilty

Remember Kavanaugh?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:05 am
@revelette1,
The targets were pretty specific. It's not a general emergency. He likely wasn't targetting all foes of #45. Post offices do seem to be on alert as they're picking out the packages.

and the van

so bizarre
coldjoint

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:10 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
It's not a general emergency.

It is nothing more than exactly what it is. A man sending bombs through the mail has been caught. The fact that he targeted Democrats is what is different. The hateful rhetoric from Dems that might have caused this are strangely absent from a lot posts.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:12 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
The hateful rhetoric from Dems that might have caused this are strangely absent from a lot posts.
Brilliant!
But generally, you promote domestic terrorism.
coldjoint

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:

I did not say that. Are you trying to manufacture a lie you can spread, Joseph? Fail.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:28 am
@coldjoint,
As I pointed out to you before, there's a difference between egotism:
Quote:
1a: excessive use of the first person singular personal pronoun 1b: the practice of talking about oneself too much
2: an exaggerated sense of self-importance

and narcissism:
Quote:
1. excessive preoccupation with or admiration of oneself. See Synonyms at conceit.
2. a personality disorder characterized by an exaggerated sense of self-importance, need for admiration, and lack of empathy. Also called narcissistic personality disorder.

Nearly anyone who runs for a high public office has a big ego.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:

That's quite an accusation. Care to reconsider it?
georgeob1

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I understand (from a possibly incomplete news report) that none of the "suspicious packages" found so far have any fuse or trigger mechanism incorporated in the supposed "pipe bombs" they contained. I'm not yet ready to draw any conclusions to draw from that, or from the consistent use of the term "suspicious packages", by various news media in describing them. However it does appear that none of the packages have detonated and none are reported to have required any special handling after their discovery.

If all this is factual then much of the media commentary on these events appears to have been exaggerated.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:33 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
That's quite an accusation. Care to reconsider it?
I'm not going to re-post the various pics by him.
coldjoint

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I'm not going to re-post the various pics by him.

Allow me to translate, you cannot prove what you accused me of, and do not have a chance of doing so. You don't have to thank me.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:43 am
@hightor,
Quote:
1. excessive preoccupation with or admiration of oneself. See Synonyms at conceit.
2. a personality disorder characterized by an exaggerated sense of self-importance, need for admiration, and lack of empathy. Also called narcissistic personality disorder.

And you contend that does not fit Obama, think again.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:04 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I understand (from a possibly incomplete news report) that none of the "suspicious packages" found so far have any fuse or trigger mechanism incorporated in the supposed "pipe bombs" they contained. I'm not yet ready to draw any conclusions to draw from that, or from the consistent use of the term "suspicious packages", by various news media in describing them. However it does appear that none of the packages have detonated and none are reported to have required any special handling after their discovery.

If all this is factual then much of the media commentary on these events appears to have been exaggerated.

I've heard conflicting reports. I'm fairly confident that in the end all of the facts will be known, but as "terrorist attacks" go this one was pretty feeble.

I don't think any of the specific targets were ever in any real danger (regardless of whether or not the bombs were functional). If I worked in a Post Office in a major city or the mail room of a media outlet, I'm sure I would have approached my job over the past few days with some trepidation, but it didn't take long at all for it to become pretty clear that either the perpetrator didn't actually intend to harm anyone or was amazingly inept (I suspect the former).

If I came across one of these easily recognizable packages, I would not have blithely dismissed the potential danger, but there was no reason for the average citizen to be fearful. It also became fairly clear; rather quickly that this was not part of a larger terrorist plot that sought to injure or kill randomly. I doubt very much that many people in NYC, DC or FL felt terrorized in any way. Certainly, no one in other parts of the country did.

Thankfully no one has been injured, but if they had been the level of fear among average people probably would have been higher, but still not in a "crippling" way as I heard commentators on TV talk about.

There's a number of reasons why this is an absolutely legitimate, big news story, but still, it has been hyped by the media, not least of all because the targets were critics of Trump.

It's lucky that no one has been injured. This could have been a far more serious matter, but it still comes down to one person, most likely mentally ill to some degree, generating an influence on society that is vastly disproportionate to their importance as an individual.

All the facts aren't known, so we will see what we will see, but I think in the end it will be, as it usually is, the malignant actions of an individual miscreant.

Unfortunately, it has been and will continue to be politicized and the MSM will continue to cover it differently than they would have had the targets been Republicans. Many of our liberal friends will deny this or in the alternative, explain that in this case, assigning the guilt of a disturbed criminal to a political figure is appropriate...just as in was in the case of Rep. Gifford, but of course not in the case of Rep. Scalise.
Olivier5

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It's evidently an attempt at scaring Trump opponents, so it's inherently political, rather than "politicized by the MSM".
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:20 pm
@georgeob1,
I agree totally george. The complete, almost pre-determined leaving of piles of forensic evidence and incompetent construction tells me that much of the story is yet to unfold
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
the one here who maintains that"domestic Terrorism" should be in his political bag of tricks is Oralloy.
He clearly espouses doing away with Democrats by violence. Then he denies saying it. (Kinda like Mr Trump)
0 Replies