monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 06:07 am
@coldjoint,
PJMedia wrote:
On Thursday, the New York Times — America's newspaper of record — published a disgusting false smear against U.S. Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley. The original article suggested Haley was responsible for spending $52,701 on curtains for the UN ambassador's house in New York City, when in reality the decision to purchase the curtains was made under former president Barack Obama.

First thing, it wasn't a "disgusting false smear". No accusation against Haley was made.
Quote:
The original article had included the important caveat that Haley was not responsible for the curtains, but it buried that key fact in the fourth paragraph.

Duh...

The story, subsequently edited to reflect the loudly voiced concerns of oh-so-sensitive right-wing crybabies, was meant to highlight the extravagance of the purchase. Haley happens to reside there so it's not unreasonable to refer to "her curtains" or "her view". The fact that people didn't read the article carefully and jumped to their own conclusions is regrettable but not untypical. The fact that the false interpretation went viral really shouldn't surprise anyone.

If a media outlet wants to "smear" a public figure it would be more effective not to include exculpating information within the story. The loud and stupid right-wing echo chamber kept that story about Obama having been born in Kenya alive for years — talk about "devoid of shame"! It's curtains for this non-incident; it will be all but forgotten in a few days.
blatham

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 06:35 am
There's a real story right here
Quote:
Senate Judiciary
‏Verified account
@senjudiciary
65 women of bipartisan backgrounds who knew Judge Kavanaugh in high school: "For the entire time we have known Brett Kavanaugh, he has behaved honorably and treated women with respect" & has "stood out for his friendship, character, and integrity" #SCOTUS https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2018-09-14%2065%20Women%20who%20know%20Kavanaugh%20from%20High%20School%20-%20Kavanaugh%20Nomination.pdf

Quote:
Paul Waldman
‏@paulwaldman1
Retweeted Senate Judiciary
If you went to an all-boys high school how would there be 65 girls who knew you well enough to testify to your good character? And how long would it take to track them all down 35 years later and convince them to sign this letter? They were obviously preparing this for some time.
blatham

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 07:05 am
Yesterday, Trump's legal team put out a statement saying "the President did nothing wrong and Paul Manafort will tell the truth"

Just minutes later, they amended that statement to read, "the President did nothing wrong"
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 07:15 am
Are others made uncomfortable by videos showing disaster images overlaid by a bombastic, Hollywood epic style soundtrack?
hightor

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 07:53 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Are others made uncomfortable by videos showing disaster images overlaid by a bombastic, Hollywood epic style soundtrack?

Especially with this sort of accompanying narrative:
North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper wrote:
This storm is a monster. It's big and it's vicious. It is an extremely, dangerous, life-threatening, historic hurricane. Don't bet your life on riding out a monster.

Huh? Anthropomorphize much?
Blickers

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 08:16 am
I'm not real worried about the way they are covering the storm. I feel it's a public service, after all the storms we're having due to rising ocean temperatures, (high temp = energy), we still have these folks who decide they're going to stay put.

Probably afraid of coming out and saying that there is a cottage industry of thieves who come out and loot houses in the hours before a storm since the owners have deserted the place, and the owners want to be there to blow them away when they come.

After the scenes of Katrina with the people waiting on rooftops for days to be rescued by small boats, you'd think people would get the idea that their life is worth more than the chance they might get looted. But no. That's why the networks are harping so hard on people evacuating because they don't have a chance against the storm.
blatham

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 08:23 am
@hightor,
I guess the next step in this evolution would be...

"This is a storm with teeth" followed by a woman's shrill scream.

0 Replies

blatham

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 08:27 am
@Blickers,
Coverage of such events is fine, even necessary, as you suggest. The point is the style of that coverage, ie over-dramatization using entertainment tropes.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 08:29 am
The Trump twitter account has been on radio silence for 12 hours.

But maybe he's down at the local convenience store buying lots of paper towels.
Blickers

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 08:32 am
@blatham,
Maybe they decided to drug him to keep him from Twittering himself into even more trouble. Cohen's begun talking to Mueller and soon Manafort will be.

They may be cooking up his escape plan to Russia right about now.
blatham

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 08:44 am
@Blickers,
Yes. I'd imagine some species of intervention is in place.
Blickers

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 08:56 am
@blatham,
A Trump intervention. It would be fun to imagine what that would look like. I wonder who would organize it-Mattis, or the Three Stooges, (Ivanka, Don Jr and Eric)?
blatham

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 09:09 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
A Trump intervention. It would be fun to imagine what that would look like.
I can no longer pretend, even to myself, that I have any idea at all what the individuals in this WH world are doing to and with each other. These people are like aliens to me. Nasty aliens.
camlok

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 09:29 am
@blatham,
Quote:
I can no longer pretend, even to myself, that I have any idea at all what the individuals in this WH world are doing to and with each other. These people are like aliens to me. Nasty aliens.

You pretend, even to yourself, all the time, Bernie. Calling others names when you are their equal in many respects isn't you being fair, is it?
0 Replies

camlok

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 09:32 am
@blatham,
Why is it that this particular propaganda upsets you, Bernie, when you swallow so much other propaganda with relish?
0 Replies

camlok

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 09:36 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Especially with this sort of accompanying narrative:
North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper wrote:
This storm is a monster. It's big and it's vicious. It is an extremely, dangerous, life-threatening, historic hurricane. Don't bet your life on riding out a monster.

Huh? Anthropomorphize much?

Are YOU, accusing him of dishonesty, hightor?
ehBeth

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 09:52 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

There's a real story right here

Quote:
They were obviously preparing this for some time.

they knew, prepared ... and sat on the story
coldjoint

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:29 am
@hightor,
Quote:
The story, subsequently edited to reflect the loudly voiced concerns of oh-so-sensitive right-wing crybabies,

That is laughable. The crybabies are not on the Right. And the story about Haley backfired and made Obama look like the corrupt jerk and traitor he is.
coldjoint

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:30 am
@blatham,
Quote:
I can no longer pretend,

What else do you have then? I can't see you having any other choice. What you say is never proven just backed up by biased haters like yourself, not facts, just accusations, or politicians that act more like spoiled children than responsible adults.

So, no pretending, I guess you will not be posting anymore.
0 Replies

maporsche

Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:39 am
@ehBeth,
I found this very strange too.
0 Replies