monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

georgeob1

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 09:59 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Actually, ci, what McConnell said was this:
Quote:
The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.

Power. Everything is to the end of gaining, maintaining, increasing power.

Are you implying that Democrats are, in any way, different, in this ? Laughable! The continuing unfolding of grief and denial from them and their media supporters is a rather bemusing spectacle that does not reflect well on their maturity and awareness of the situation around them.

Now Chuck Schumer is having to eat his ill thought words and empty threats regarding Trump's appointees, who are all being confirmed at a record pace. He didn't have the power to carry out his ill'conceived threats when he made them, and apart from highly partisan criticism, found nothing to impeach the worthiness of any.
Baldimo

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 10:33 am
@glitterbag,
I'm 43 if you must know.

Quote:
You just appear to be a sorehead, I'll take CI and his research over your opinion every time. Frankly, you are what they used to call a buzz kill.

Did you see the list of questions he asked about? I humored him because that is all I can do with CI. You can step off your high horse now.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 11:47 am
Populist President Donald J. Trump.

Hardly soaring eloquence, but I for one have had enough of poetry and platitudes from politicians. I think everyone agrees that this country has a fair number of problems that need to be fixed. We may not all agree on what they are and how they should be fixed, but, regardless, we need a leader who will get things done, make good on promises, and leave his nation in a much better place than it is today. If he does it with plain talk, that fine by me.

We are rarely going to all agree on anything, but I think the following statements should be things upon which we can agree.

What truly matters is not which party controls government, but whether the government is controlled by the people.

Anyone disagree with this?

A nation exists to serve it's people

For too long a small group in our nations capital have reaped the rewards while the people have borne the cost

America first!

I suspect this last comment is going to rile quite a few people but our president, whomever he might be, no matter what party he's a member of, has the job of leading, protecting and invigorating America. Our interests come first. That's a pretty simple concept. Individual citizens may, for whatever reason, feel otherwise, but not the president.

Obviously our interests need to be aligned with our values and the pursuit of the former should not violate the latter. No doubt we will have lots to debate about on this in the months and years ahead.

I don't have much hope that here on A2K we will not see the same childish insults that were directed at President Obama, directed at President Trump, but it would be nice.

Buckle up, it's going to be a wild but great ride!

God bless Donald J. Trump.

God bless all Americans in every town and city of this land.

God bless America!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 11:55 am
@georgeob1,
The democrats were never known as the gridlock party like the GOP, and they never threatened any GOP president to be a "one-term president."
McConnell said, "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."

McConnell doesn't seem to understand that he's not the one to decide who serves as our president; it's the voters of this country.

Making such threats deserves ridicule.
ehBeth

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 11:59 am
and it's on

among other things, the White House Climate Change page was taken down over half an hour ago

I didn't believe it when Jim Wright posted about it, so I checked. Yup.

A gov't report re LGBTQ stats has been removed.

The days of disinformation are in full swing.

I pray for America and my friends there.

cicerone imposter

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 12:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The voters have decided on Trump to be our next president. He's a known racial bigot, liar and scammer of many people. He was not my choice, but he won, because the voters chose him.
We'll have to live with it.
georgeob1

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 12:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I believe you are incorrect in several of the salient "facts" you cited, and are merely living down to the vengeful, bitter persona you increasingly present here.
It's a safe bet that Chuck Scuumer and his allies are consciously working now to make Donald Trump a one term president, just as their predecessers were doing with respect to Ronald Reagan and GW Bush. That Mitchell is quoted as saying it, merely reflects his honesty and candor. In any event they all failed.

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 12:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Removing such pages isn't disinformation.

Which you, of course, realize.

Thanks for your prayers though, we need all we can get no matter who is our president.

0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 12:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
He's a known racial bigot, liar and scammer of many people.

Do you have this phrase setup as a keyboard shortcut? >>trump
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 12:40 pm
@georgeob1,
I'm sure you can excuse Trump for his racial bigotry. I'm disappointed in you.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=trump's+bigotry&qpvt=trump%27s+bigotry&qpvt=trump%27s+bigotry&qpvt=trump%27s+bigotry&FORM=IGRE

He pushed the Obama birther issue for five years, called Mexicans "criminals and rapists," said our country needed to ban "Muslims from entering our country," and "build a wall." He didn't rent to blacks, and put out a full page ad in a New York newspaper to execute five innocent black kids.

Baldimo

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 12:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
He pushed the Obama birther issue for five years,

He did indeed do this. Why did it last for 5 years? Oh yeah, that's how long it took to release it. I'm pretty sure Obama only did this for the political effect... I wonder if Trump will do the same thing with his taxes?

Quote:
called Mexicans "criminals and rapists,"

Not as a blanket statement he didn't. Do you think he was wrong though? Do you really think no "criminals and rapists" come over the border from Mexico and other countries to the south of the US? Logic would say that it isn't 100% and it also isn't 0%.

Quote:
said our country needed to ban "Muslims from entering our country,"

Until we can verify their identity and safely assume they are not going to commit terrorists acts. Remember the wife of the San Bernardino shooter was "vetted and cleared". We can see how well that worked.

Quote:
"build a wall."

Nothing racists about a wall on our southern border.
McGentrix

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:14 pm
@Baldimo,
You will have better luck convincing this it is wood.

http://bgfons.com/upload/brick_texture3379.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The voters have decided on Trump to be our next president. He's a known racial bigot, liar and scammer of many people. He was not my choice, but he won, because the voters chose him.
We'll have to live with it.

Your characterization of him may or may not be true, (I don't believe it is but am not going to get involved in that back & forth) but, in any case, we didn't elect a Saint-In-Chief.

You can look back through our history and find a great number of successful and/or popular presidents who probably would have made Trump look like a choir boy.

Woodrow Wilson was a racist, and the evidence is a lot clearer than a business related anti-discrimination penalty. He was also far more of an autocrat than Trump will ever be.

LBJ was no prince

During his congressional career, he was mostly a reliable part of the Southern bloc of politicians who thwarted civil rights bills at every turn. As president, when he appointed Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court over a lesser-known black judge, LBJ explained in private, “When I appoint a nigger to the bench, I want everybody to know he’s a nigger.” He even referred to his own Civil Rights bill as the "nigger bill.”

In addition to interning thousands of Japanese-American citizens during WWII (while doing no such thing with German-Americans) FDR had at least one blatant example of his racism:

In 1936, after the Berlin Olympics, FDR invited the athletes who competed for the U.S. to the White House. But Jesse Owens, who had won four gold medals, humiliating Adolph Hitler in the process, did not receive the invitation from the president. No surprise then, that Owens stumped for Roosevelt’s Republican rival, Alf Landon, in the 1936 presidential election. “Hitler didn’t snub me—it was our president who snubbed me,” Owens said during the campaign.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/who-was-most-racist-modern-president-5-surprising-candidates-who-fit-bill

But at least you acknowledge that he indeed our President and that "we have to live with it."
Brand X

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:31 pm
Has maporsche been arrested yet?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 03:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Hey, why didn't you mention JFK?

I guess it was because he and his wife were so darn good looking that we give him a pass on Presidential Morality.

But he did do Marilyn Monroe right there in the Whitehouse.
Trump can't hold a candle to that!
0 Replies

layman

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 03:28 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

among other things, the White House Climate Change page was taken down over half an hour ago

A gov't report re LGBTQ stats has been removed.

The days of disinformation are in full swing.

Objecting to our disinformation is utterly despicable! It's...well, it's....it's disinformation, Gawddammit!
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 03:49 pm
From WP conservative writer Jennifer Rubin
Quote:
Trump’s America is a rotten place

President Trump delivered a campaign speech, not an inaugural address, on Friday. That he and his staff do not understand the difference goes to the heart of his insufficiency as a leader. Addressing a shockingly sparse crowd, he painted a picture of a hellish America that can only be restored by turning inward, deciding the world is a burden and our allies are thieves.

...And in case you didn’t know how rotten a country this is, he described, as he did on the campaign trail, a dystopia bearing little resemblance to the real United States. (“Mothers and children trapped in poverty in our inner cities, rusted-out factories, scattered like tombstones across the landscape of our nation, an education system flush with cash but which leaves our young and beautiful students deprived of all knowledge. And the crime and the gangs and the drugs that have stolen too many lives and robbed our country of so much unrealized potential.”) You would not know that unemployment stands at 4.7 percent, crime is down and productivity up. He sees only blight. “This American carnage stops right here and stops right now,” he declared. Carnage. Take that in for a moment. Does he see America as a decimated, destroyed and weak country? Apparently yes — or he would like us to believe so in order to, in a year or so, declare how everything has improved.
WP
blatham

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 03:50 pm
From conservative George Will
Quote:
Twenty minutes into his presidency, Donald Trump, who is always claiming to have made, or to be about to make, astonishing history, had done so. Living down to expectations, he had delivered the most dreadful inaugural address in history.

Kellyanne Conway, Trump’s White House counselor, had promised that the speech would be “elegant.” This is not the adjective that came to mind as he described “American carnage.” That was a phrase the likes of which has never hitherto been spoken at an inauguration.
WP
layman

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 03:52 pm
America first, Baby!

Aint nuthin more to say.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 03:54 pm
@blatham,
Yes, George Will calls it "A most dreadful inaugural address."
Forget Kellyann Conway; she's already lost all credibility when she said "look at his heart, not what he says."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-statements-kellyanne-conway-233344
0 Replies