monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 06:26 am
Quote:
American law enforcement and intelligence agencies are examining intercepted communications and financial transactions as part of a broad investigation into possible links between Russian officials and associates of President-elect Donald J. Trump, including his former campaign chairman Paul Manafort, current and former senior American officials said.

The continuing counterintelligence investigation means that Mr. Trump will take the oath of office on Friday with his associates under investigation and after the intelligence agencies concluded that the Russian government had worked to help elect him. As president, Mr. Trump will oversee those agencies and have the authority to redirect or stop at least some of these efforts.
NYT
That ought to be interesting.
layman

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 06:28 am
@blatham,
Trump, he aint dangerous to nobody.

Well, maybe to vermin, like cockroaches and rats.

And cheese-eaters, who he will soon round up and exterminate, also.

But not to people.
Olivier5

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 07:02 am
@layman,
I'm a big fan of certain cheeses, mainly from ewe milk: pecorini obviously, but also Manchego and the French version from the Pyrenées. I also like a variety of cow milk cheeses, particularly Comté, Cantal and Camembert...

This thing about Trump rounding and killing cheese-eaters... should I get worried? Should I kill him before he kills me perhaps?
blatham

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 07:03 am
Quote:
In 71 days as president elect of the United States, Donald Trump told at least 82 untruths.

Many of Trump’s forays into fiction are familiar to those who watched his campaign: He’s still inflating statistics on undocumented immigration, crime and unemployment to paint a distorted picture of domestic safety. He’s still missing the mark on issues such as the documented effects of trade policy or the scientific consensus surrounding climate change. He’s still oversimplifying and overstating the Obama administration’s role in the rise of the Islamic States. And he’s still exaggerating the size of his crowds.

Since winning, however, Trump has added two new areas where he frequently strays from the facts: the size of his victory over Hillary Clinton and the role of Russia in the 2016 presidential election...
Politico
Mind you, today will surely see the largest crowds that have ever gathered anywhere for any reason, and all to celebrate Trump's ascent to the WH. There might be some trouble (protesters paid to come by George Soros and ISIS) but these small and insignificant troublemakers will be properly handled by the meat wall of Bikers For Trump with the help of Congenital Liars For Trump and Sexual Assault Felons For Trump.

It should be a great day in American history, perhaps the greatest day ever.
0 Replies

Brand X

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 07:14 am
A lunatic wrote this. We've seen glimpses of a warped mind before, but this is warped on full display.

'There may be bad days ahead for many Americans. As I feel I owe something to this very disturbed country, I am in the process of designing an easy-to-construct citizen weapon. I've named it the Frog-a-pult.

The concept utilizes the dynamic principles of the catapult and leap frog. Imagine a large catapult firing a smaller catapult which after release and now travelling at speed, itself fires the payload like a stone or perhaps something similar like Ann Coulter's adam's apple. We now have Ann's body part moving at Whoosh2. With an even larger version, we could have all of Ann as payload. Just imagine. Whoosh -> Whoosh2 -> splat.

Because I love America.'
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 07:15 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
cheese-eaters

Is this a new pejorative? Given that pretty much everyone actually eats cheese, it seems a tad limp. Why not "water-drinkers" or "people who look at the sky and sometimes see clouds".
blatham

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 07:27 am
Of course she said it.
Quote:
"I'm sure you're aware some of these confirmation hearings have been show trials this week and an attempt to humiliate some of our incredibly qualified men and women who just want to serve our country,"
Politico

She possibly picked up the "show trials" framing from Chaffetz. Hard to know. But it's certainly an appropriate analogy. It is exactly what Stalin would have said had he been grilled on his ideas and history as a means of assessing his fitness for leadership.

But it's really the "humiliate" point that cuts so deeply. There was Al Franken smirking and with his hands waving chaotically as he mimicked Tillerson's palsy. We all saw that. Despicable, no question.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 07:34 am
Jesus. I didn't know they'd tried to get away with this.
Quote:
Sen. Mark Warner couldn’t believe what his Republican counterpart on the Senate Intelligence Committee had just done.

With no advance notice, Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) declared to reporters that his panel wouldn’t look into possible collusion between Donald Trump’s campaign and Moscow as part of its investigation of Russian interference in the election. So Warner, a Virginia Democrat who is the panel’s ranking member, promptly enlisted every Democrat on the committee to oppose Burr’s move and presumably boycott the investigation if he didn't reverse himself, according to congressional sources.
Politico
As the piece notes, 24 hours later, Burr was forced to change his stance. But that they even tried this gambit tells exactly how the GOPers in the Senate are going to be operating wherever and whenever they can - for political advantage above all. Honesty and integrity will have to come from somewhere else.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 07:37 am
@blatham,
I don't know, it's laygirl's expression... Guess it's from Iraq war times, when the Muricans got it all wrong and us French got it right, and they got pissed off and called us "cheese eating surrender monkeys".

But I know for sure that water-drikers are fools.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 07:39 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I don't know, it's laygirl's expression... Guess it's from Iraq war times, when the Muricans got it all wrong and us French got it right, and they got pissed off and called us "cheese eating surrender monkeys".
Actually, he's labelling nearly everyone so, who doesn't share his opinion.
I think, he's a hard-core vegan.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 07:49 am
From McClatchy
Quote:
The FBI and five other law enforcement and intelligence agencies have collaborated for months in an investigation into Russian attempts to influence the November election, including whether money from the Kremlin covertly aided President-elect Donald Trump, two people familiar with the matter said.

The agencies involved in the inquiry are the FBI, the CIA, the National Security Agency, the Justice Department, the Treasury Department’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network and representatives of the director of national intelligence, the sources said.

Investigators are examining how money may have moved from the Kremlin to covertly help Trump win, the two sources said. One of the allegations involves whether a system for routinely paying thousands of Russian-American pensioners may have been used to pay some email hackers in the United States or to supply money to intermediaries who would then pay the hackers, the two sources said.

...The BBC reported last week that the joint inquiry was launched when the CIA learned last spring, through a Baltic ally, of a recording indicating the Russian government was planning to funnel funds aimed at influencing the U.S. election.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article127231799.html#storylink=cpy
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 07:55 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
"cheese eating surrender monkeys"

God, I loved that expression! It was one of the most senseless combination of words I'd ever come across. Something you'd hear from an exited idiot who had English as his thirteenth language.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 08:03 am
@Olivier5,
Olivia wrote:

I don't know, it's layman's expression... Guess it's from Iraq war times, when the Muricans got it all wrong and us French got it right, and they got pissed off and called us "cheese eating surrender monkeys".

But I know for sure that water-drikers are fools.

You may not be a dipshit in real life, but you do seem to play one on the internet. It's funny that the term "cheese eater's" bothers you guys. But, I suppose that's something a cheese eater would do. He's explained it at least twice. If you had any actual interest in its origin you could look it up instead of using feminized nickname's for other users.
blatham

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 08:08 am
From Nate Silver
Quote:
Another myth is that Trump’s victory represented some sort of catastrophic failure for the polls. Trump outperformed his national polls by only 1 to 2 percentage points in losing the popular vote to Clinton, making them slightly closer to the mark than they were in 2012. Meanwhile, he beat his polls by only 2 to 3 percentage points in the average swing state.3 Certainly, there were individual pollsters that had some explaining to do, especially in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, where Trump beat his polls by a larger amount. But the result was not some sort of massive outlier; on the contrary, the polls were pretty much as accurate as they’d been, on average, since 1968.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-real-story-of-2016/
blatham

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 08:20 am
Quote:
Charles P. Pierce ‏@CharlesPPierce 34m34 minutes ago
More
If you're looking for the American Pravda, Fox and Friends this morning is your ticket.

Almost doesn't need saying. Except that it does need saying.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 08:24 am
@McGentrix,
Rest assured that I am as shitty in real life as in here.

The term "cheese eater" makes me laugh; it doesn't bother me. Keep it coming.

As for feminized names, what's so wrong with them, Ma Gentille?
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 08:34 am
If you read anything today, read this!
Quote:
...Since Election Day, Trump has managed to squander good faith and guarded hope with flagrant displays of self-indulgent tweeting, chaotic administration, willful ignorance, and ethical sludge. Setting the tone for his Presidency, he refused, or was unable, to transcend the willful ugliness of his campaign. He goes on continuing to conceal his taxes, the summary of his professional life; he refuses to isolate himself from his businesses in a way that satisfies any known ethical standard; he rants on social media about every seeming offense that catches his eye; he sets off gratuitous diplomatic brushfires everywhere from Beijing to Berlin. (Everywhere, that is, except Moscow.)
His appointees, in the meantime, are too often amateurs in the fields they now pretend to lead or determined opponents of the realms they are intended to safeguard: civil rights, the global environment, public housing.

Each morning, the earnest desire to “give him a chance” dies a little more...
New Yorker
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 08:48 am
I am going to really miss the dignity, the grace, the humor and the warmth of heart of the man now leaving the White House.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 08:51 am
@blatham,
That's nice.

Maybe he wants a pen-pal.
georgeob1

Fri 20 Jan, 2017 09:35 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

From Nate Silver
Quote:
Another myth is that Trump’s victory represented some sort of catastrophic failure for the polls. Trump outperformed his national polls by only 1 to 2 percentage points in losing the popular vote to Clinton, making them slightly closer to the mark than they were in 2012. Meanwhile, he beat his polls by only 2 to 3 percentage points in the average swing state.3 Certainly, there were individual pollsters that had some explaining to do, especially in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, where Trump beat his polls by a larger amount. But the result was not some sort of massive outlier; on the contrary, the polls were pretty much as accurate as they’d been, on average, since 1968.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-real-story-of-2016/

You and Mr Silver betray your lack of understanding of statistics and the science of measurement. If the average error in the polls is in the 2-3% range that means it is equal to slightly more than half of the margin in the actual count in contested states. Not a particularly reliable indicator of the outsome.
0 Replies