monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Setanta

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 02:23 pm
It is worth noting that media manipulation actually began in the United States in the second term of Woodrow Wilson, the closest to an absolute dictator this nation has ever experienced. His campaign manager, George Creel, himself a journalist, suggested to him (at least that was Wilson's alleged story) that the United States should set up an information ministry such as those that existed in Imperial Britain and Imperial Germany. This was before the United States entered the Great War. The Committee for Public Information, chaired by Creel and therefore informally known as the Creel Committee, controlled all access to information from the government. If you wanted the low-down skinny from the Wilson administration, you played ball and played ball by Creel's rules. I'll append an article from The Smithsonian Magazine at the end of this post. I'll will also add my observation that, in my opinion, this lead to the birth of investigative journalism--if the only story you can get comes from an administration committee, you need to get out there and do your own digging. By mid-1918, the situation was such that Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. commented on this in an editorial published in The Kansas City Star, May 7th, 1918. Within that editorial (what we would now call an "op-ed"), Roosevelt wrote: “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” While it is certainly true that Roosevelt was a Republican and Wilson was a Democrat, this was above the political fray, and I would say crucially important in the resistance to Wilson's almost overwhelming propaganda machine. I will also point out that party affiliation means nothing when the subject is the survival of democratic institutions and a free press.

How Woodrow Wilson’s Propaganda Machine Changed American Journalism
lmur

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 02:50 pm
Papadopolous jailed for lying to the FBI.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45455050
coldjoint

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 02:55 pm
@lmur,
Quote:

He didn't work for Clinton or the Russians, what did you expect? Another significant notch in Mueller's gun. Getting him off the streets will save this nation. Thanks Bob.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 03:20 pm
@Setanta,
FDR did a pretty good job as well, he threatened to stack the SCOTUS unless they found his New Deal Policies "Constitutional". He would put enough people on the court to make sure they passed, they caved to the pressure and "found" that his new policies did indeed meet "Constitutional" standards... How's that for dictator type behavior.
RABEL222

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 03:44 pm
@Baldimo,
You should be a religious writer considering the knack you have for rewriting history. Or should I say quoting general trumpisms.
Baldimo

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 03:51 pm
@RABEL222,
The rewrite of history is denying this ever took place. What's next, FDR didn't put Americans in camps?

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/roosevelt-announces-court-packing-plan
Setanta

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 04:58 pm
@Baldimo,
How's that for a completely bullsh*t historical narrative is the pertinent question. Roosevelt did not pack the Court, because the Democratic chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee held the measure up for more than five months. The legislation did not pass, Roosevelt did not intimidate the Court. I know of no time in our history when the Supremes have caved-in to pressure from the executive or the legislature.

Don't just make sh*t up as you go along and call it history. The people at this site are too well educated to fall for that crap.

When Franklin Roosevelt Clashed with the Supreme Court – and Lost.
ehBeth

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 05:50 pm
some good advice for Mueller as well as #45 and his team

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/07/opinions/60-days-midterms-doj-trump-mueller-josh-campbell/index.html

who will follow it?

I know where my money would be
coldjoint

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 06:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I know where my money would be

So does everyone else, too, but thanks for telling us. Shocked
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 06:19 pm
https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/41215854_1869491366464399_366975165550034944_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&oh=ecbd82268eb7e1baebdea029215fe178&oe=5C2D7A71
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 06:28 pm
https://pics.onsizzle.com/if-you-kill-your-enemies-they-win-justin-trudeau-genius-1687191.png
No doubt about it, he is a special kind of stupid. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 06:32 pm
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/bc/36/a3/bc36a379460992ad277748189e98f0f6.jpg
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 06:43 pm
Quote:
HE’S BACK! Obama refers to himself 102 times during 64-minute speech

And Trump is a narcissist? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Quote:
Obama suggested the rich and powerful are conspiring against the little people, and the only way to make it better is to vote for politicians like himself who gallantly fight for what’s right, and just.

Sounds nice, means 0.
http://www.theamericanmirror.com/hes-back-obama-refers-to-himself-102-times-during-64-minute-speech/
coldjoint

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 07:29 pm
https://pics.me.me/president-donald-trump-meets-canadian-prime-minister-justin-trudeau-gc-14409895.png
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 07:58 pm
Trump expecting 'positive' letter from North Korea's Kim Jong Un soon
Steve Holland

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday a letter from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, which he believes will be positive, is on its way to him, a day after expressing fresh optimism about a denuclearization deal.

“I know that a letter is being delivered to me, a personal letter from Kim Jong Un to me. It was handed at the border ... yesterday,” Trump told reporters on Air Force One. “It’s being delivered. It’s actually an elegant way... and I think it’s going to be a positive letter.”

The two leaders have traded correspondence as they negotiate over North Korea’s nuclear program and Trump has also praised Kim on social media. On Thursday, Trump thanked Kim on Twitter for expressing “unwavering faith in President Trump” and added: “We will get it done together!”

Trump’s latest remarks came after South Korean officials said after meeting Kim in Pyongyang this week that the North Korean leader had given his first timeline for denuclearization, in spite of widespread skepticism about his willingness to give up a nuclear weapons program that threatens the United States.

According to the South Korean officials, Kim said his faith in Trump was “unchanged” and he wanted denuclearization of the Korean peninsula and an end to hostile relations with the United States before Trump’s first term ends in early 2021.

However, there has been no indication that Kim has offered more concrete steps toward giving up his nuclear weapons and some U.S. officials privately doubt he is willing to abandon the arsenal.

Both Kim and Trump have stressed their personal relationship since meeting in an unprecedented June 12 summit which skeptics say was big on fanfare but short on substance.

Under discussion since has been whether North Korean denuclearization or declaring an end to the Korean War should come first. The 1950-53 war ended with an armistice, not a peace treaty, meaning U.S.-led U.N. forces are technically still at war with the North.

Earlier on Friday, generals from the United States and North Korea met at the Korean border to discuss the recovery of the remains of U.S. service members killed in the Korean War, a senior U.S. official said.

The talks between U.S. Major General Michael Minihan, the chief of staff for the United Nations Command (UNC) and U.S. Forces Korea, and North Korean Lieutenant General An Ik-san followed North Korea’s handover of remains in July under an agreement reached by Trump and Kim at the summit.

“While these talks are military-to-military and scheduled to be confined to the repatriation issue, having some progress on any front would be welcome,” the U.S. official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. “That doesn’t mean there’s much optimism about moving forward on the political front.”

The official said that there remained concerns that Kim’s improved relationship with China and his planned summit with South Korean President Moon Jae-in this month could encourage him in resisting U.S. demands.

In previous, failed rounds of negotiations over North Korea’s nuclear program, North Korea has said it could consider giving up its arsenal if Washington provides security guarantees by removing troops from South Korea and withdrawing its so-called nuclear umbrella of deterrence from the South and Japan.

The United States has 28,500 troops in South Korea and Trump has said in the past it should consider reducing the number unless Seoul shoulders more of the cost.

South Korea has said American forces should stay even if a peace agreement is signed, while U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis assured Seoul in a June visit of an “ironclad” U.S. commitment to its security, including keeping U.S. troop levels unaltered.

On Friday, North Korea’s official KCNA news agency quoted a statement from the obscure Anti-Imperialist National Democratic Front (AINDF) denouncing the presence of U.S. forces in South Korea and calling them the “chieftain of aggression and division, and root cause of misfortune and pain.”

“The withdrawal of the U.S. forces, the end of the U.S. military presence and domination is the demand of the Korean nation and the irresistible trend of the times,” it said.
0 Replies

camlok

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 08:05 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
But this image was newsworthy. It was taken by a journalist. It should have seen the light of day.

Jesus Keeeerist, US media, politicians and citizens are stunning hypocrites!
0 Replies

camlok

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 08:06 pm
@lmur,
Quote:

The FBI, never jailed for lying their asses of time and again.
0 Replies

camlok

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 08:07 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
How's that for dictator type behavior.

You're talking about the USA, Baldimo.
0 Replies

Real Music

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 08:08 pm
Former President Barack Obama jumped back into the political forum ahead of the 2018 midterm elections to issue a strong rebuke of President Donald Trump and the Republican party. Obama called these “dangerous times” while highlighting “common ground” over growing divides.

Published on Sep 7, 2018
camlok

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 08:09 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
What's next, FDR didn't put Americans in camps?

Death camps, black hole torture chambers, death squads, death lists, ... US presidents have done it all. Hell, you got to take part in the supreme war crimes as defined by international law, Baldimo.

0 Replies