monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

camlok

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 08:23 pm
@coldjoint,
So you see that you have been using a signature line for, how long now?, that describes your own Trump, the progressive decline of his accountability and responsibility to the people.

And you didn't even understand that.

These issues are for adults, people who understand the English language.
0 Replies

Real Music

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 08:25 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
The good news is that if the 2016 election were to be re-held today, Donald Trump would take 40% of the black vote and, in the 2020 election that number may be more like 50 or 60%.

0 Replies

neptuneblue

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 08:26 pm
@blatham,
He isn't trying to remain hidden, the message is out.

The 60 day unwritten rule is being followed by those who believe in the Rule of Law and ethical commitment.

It's only my theory though.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 09:17 pm
Hayes gets it
Quote:
Chris Hayes
‏Verified account
@chrislhayes
The op-ed is an attempt to take out an insurance policy for the GOP and conservatism if and when things get much much worse. It's a very public hedge meant to preserve the reputation of the GOP's entire political and governing class.
coldjoint

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 10:34 pm
@blatham,
Quote:

Hayes gets it

I am sure he does, somewhere. Another insurance policy The first one did not work. And the Republicans are passing conservative policies as we speak. Does Chris have to bend over to get it more?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 03:04 am
Re NYT op ed
Quote:
Verified account
@poniewozik
I Am Willing to Sacrifice Anything to Protect Our Democracy, Up to But Not Including Losing an Election or Giving Up Literally Any Policy That I Support: A Hero's Story

Quote:
@poniewozik
I can't wait to read the eventual book, I Too Was Secretly Dismayed the Whole Time, Also: A Memoir of Service
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 03:31 am
Quote:
Verified account
@danpfeiffer
Great. A bunch of anonymous cowards who love tax cuts and pollution are the one thing standing between the country and the Mad King
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 04:09 am
Yglesias brings up a point I was about to mention. Matthew Yglesias
Quote:
‏Verified account
@mattyglesias
More Matthew Yglesias Retweeted Chris Hayes
After Bush failed, he was denounced as a faux conservative and we got first the Tea Party rebrand and then the Populist rebrand and now we’re set up to run the play again with Trump

At the end of Bush Jr's tenure, his approval ratings were abysmal in 2008 (25 approval, 72 disapproval). His time in office had tarred not only him but the GOP and conservatism as well. The GOP/conservatism needed rebranding and that is what the establishment and promotion of the Tea Party was all about. "Bush never was a real conservative after all. What is real conservatism that the GOP represents? The spirit and values of the Tea Party". As Matt says, what is happening now looks very much like another such attempt.

Keep in mind that expertise in marketing and promotion is held mainly by business entities that overwhelmingly support right wing politics. This expertise is the result of nearly a century of serious investigations into what motivates individuals and groups to change their behavior, ie "Blondes have more fun". This isn't slipshod assumptions nor is it based on intuition. It's rigorous and scientific study with massive amounts of data to draw from.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 06:17 am
Quote:
Impeachment is a constitutional mechanism. The 25th Amendment is a constitutional mechanism. Mass resignations followed by voluntary testimony to congressional committees are a constitutional mechanism. Overt defiance of presidential authority by the president’s own appointees—now that’s a constitutional crisis.

If the president’s closest advisers believe that he is morally and intellectually unfit for his high office, they have a duty to do their utmost to remove him from it, by the lawful means at hand. That duty may be risky to their careers in government or afterward. But on their first day at work, they swore an oath to defend the Constitution—and there were no “riskiness” exemptions in the text of that oath.

On Wednesday, though, a “senior official in the Trump administration” published an anonymous op-ed in The New York Times, writing:

Many of the senior officials in his own administration are working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations. I would know. I am one of them.

The author of the anonymous op-ed is hoping to vindicate the reputation of like-minded senior Trump staffers. See, we only look complicit! Actually, we’re the real heroes of the story.

But what the author has just done is throw the government of the United States into even more dangerous turmoil. He or she has enflamed the paranoia of the president and empowered the president’s willfulness.

What happens the next time a staffer seeks to dissuade the president from, say, purging the Justice Department to shut down the Mueller investigation? The author of the Times op-ed has explicitly told the president that those who offer such advice do not have the president’s best interests at heart, and are, in fact, actively subverting his best interests as he understands them on behalf of ideas of their own.

He’ll grow more defiant, more reckless, more anti-constitutional, and more dangerous.

And those who do not quit or are not fired in the next few days will have to work even more assiduously to prove themselves loyal, obedient, and on the team. Things will be worse after this piece. They will be worse because of this piece.

The new Bob Woodward book set the bad precedent. The high official who thought the president so addled that he would not remember the paper he snatched off his desk? Those who thought the president stupid, ignorant, beholden to Russia—and then exited the administration to return to their comfortable, lucrative occupations? Who substituted deep-background gripe sessions with a reporter for offering detailed proof of presidential unfitness, or worse, before the House or Senate? Yes, better than the robotic servility of the public record. But only slightly.

What would be better?

Speak in your own name. Resign in a way that will count. Present the evidence that will justify an invocation of the 25th Amendment, or an impeachment, or at the very least, the first necessary step toward either outcome, a Democratic Congress after the November elections.

Your service in government is valuable. Thank you for it. But it is not so indispensable that it can compensate for the continuing tenure of a president you believe to be amoral, untruthful, irrational, anti-democratic, unpatriotic, and dangerous. Previous generations of Americans have sacrificed fortunes, health, and lives to serve the country. You are asked only to tell the truth aloud and with your name attached.

The Atlantic
Walter Hinteler

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 07:02 am
@revelette1,
What are the Germans most afraid of? The answer to the traditional representative survey of an insurance company sounds surprising this year. It is Donald Trump's policy - noticeably more concerned about immigration and terrorism.

Of around 2300 Germans aged 14 and over, more than two-thirds (69 percent) responded that Trump's politics made the world more dangerous and frightened. For Manfred Schmidt, a political scientist at the University of Heidelberg, this result is a small sensation. "This survey has never been so political," he says. For him, however, the concern about Trump is not an outgrowth of the often ridiculed cliché of "German fear". He considers it to be justified.

https://i.imgur.com/ZSAoFh4.jpg
("Percentage of Germans fearing that Trump's politics make the world more dangerous")
Full press release (in German) @ R & V: Die Ängste der Deutschen 2018
Walter Hinteler

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 07:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
WaPo: Trump administration to circumvent court limits on detention of child migrants
Quote:
The Trump administration said Thursday it is preparing to circumvent limits on the government’s ability to hold minors in immigration jails by withdrawing from the Flores Settlement Agreement, the federal consent decree that has shaped detention standards for underage migrants since 1997.

The maneuver is almost certain to land the administration back in court, where U.S. District Court Judge Dolly M. Gee, who oversees the agreement, has rejected attempts to extend the amount of time migrant children can be held with their parents beyond the current limit of 20 days.

But under changes proposed Thursday by the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Health and Human Services, the administration said it would issue new regulations that “satisfy the basic purpose” of the Flores settlement and ensure migrant children “are treated with dignity, respect and special concern for their particular vulnerability as minors.”

“Today, legal loopholes significantly hinder the Department’s ability to appropriately detain and promptly remove family units that have no legal basis to remain in the country,” said DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, in a statement. “This rule addresses one of the primary pull factors for illegal immigration and allows the federal government to enforce immigration laws as passed by Congress.”

The proposal sets up a new immigration battle in court, and comes less than three months after the Trump administration’s short-lived attempt to halt an increase in illegal migration by separating children from parents who entered unlawfully. The practice was widely condemned and forced the administration to reverse course and regroup.
... ... ...
blatham

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 07:39 am
@revelette1,
That's right on the money, rev. But they won't do it unless they conclude:
1) We've got a way to do it that looks like it will cost us less in elections than not doing it
2) Trump really goes off the deep end in a public venue and all other options are cancelled out.

The irony here or the dead lack of awareness is that while this author (and those like him/her) disdain Trump's lack of ethics, they are guilty of a similarly bankrupt moral failure.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 08:07 am
Read this
Quote:
Trump’s paranoid rage is getting worse. But the White House ‘resistance’ is a sham.

The mystery Trump administration official’s op-ed piece declaring President Trump mentally unfit to serve, combined with the startling revelations along the same lines that people in his orbit shared with Bob Woodward, have driven Trump into a frenzy and hinted at much worse to come.

White House aides have launched an internal search for the apostates in both cases, and The Post reports in alarming detail that Trump is sinking deeper and deeper into rage and paranoia, even as public commentators fret that we’re at a moment of serious crisis.

Both also raise a question: Is there really a “resistance” inside the administration, quietly and heroically toiling away at great professional risk, to protect the country and alert us all to the dangers Trump poses, until the storm has passed?

I call B.S...
Greg Sargent
blatham

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 08:16 am
And from Josh Marshall
Quote:
When this New York Times oped was released yesterday afternoon I was in the process of having a wisdom tooth removed. So I didn’t hear anything about it until the early evening. So when I got to reading it we were already into people’s 2nd or 3rd impressions of what to make of it. I’ve been reading it over and I want to share a few thoughts about its potential authorship.

First, a few points of context. I say ‘faux-resistance leader’ because I see this exercise primarily as one of anticipatory self-exculpation...
TPM
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 08:36 am
And here, I'm arguing, is the center of this ******* disaster that is the modern GOP and conservatism in the US. We really have to see this dynamic as basic to the anonymous op/ed...
Quote:
President Trump and the Koch brothers have made it clear that they don’t like each other. Politically speaking, they are in fundamental disagreement over trade, tariffs and immigration.

Nonetheless, there is a functional Trump-Koch alliance, and the Republican Party has capitalized handsomely on it. Trump’s racially freighted, anti-immigrant rhetoric has been essential to persuading white voters to agree to Republicans’ long-sought tax and regulatory policies. These policies are inimical or irrelevant to the interests of low- and moderate-income Americans. They have been promulgated by the Trump administration, but many of them have been meticulously prepared and packaged by the Kochs’ massive political network.
NYT

0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 08:40 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Trump’s paranoid rage is getting worse. But the White House ‘resistance’ is a sham.

I call B.S...

two impressions

I think #45 is right to feel concerned - the old-skool conservatives seem to have run out of patience with him and don't care who knows

I feel like the NYT was taken for a ride or hoped they could catch a ride on Woodward's coat tails.
revelette1

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 08:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
This you can't really blame on Trump, this is more than likely one of the shameful advantages the "resistance" in the WH sees as something they got to continue under Trump.

In my opinion, they are waiting for mid-terms to see if democrats win control of the house and senate. (I haven't heard or read where we have a chance in the senate, but, I haven't really looked.) They probably know republicans are not going to ruin their election chances with Trump's base who will make any such "resistance" against Trump look like the mild chastisement it is in the case of impeachment. (Trump called it right, there will be violence but not by the left.)

If democrats win the house and senate and remove Trump from office, Pence will still be there to carry out all the deregulations, tax cuts for the rich, draconian immigration policies they like and they would be rid of one big headache. We would in fact be doing them a favor. Nevertheless, I think it is the right thing to do.

If they don't, (Dems win) who knows really what is going to happen? I am not sure after mid-terms what republicans will do. It will depend if something becomes so bad and obvious I guess. I somehow doubt democrats will win both the house and senate, we have a chance at the house I think I have read. We (as in the US) might just have to keep on with the way things are now until Trump finishes out his term. It would just be beyond shameful and horrible if he actually gets elected in this country again. But I wouldn't be surprised.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 6 Sep, 2018 09:47 am
@blatham,
Wow!

As you mention in your post (about three times I think), you predicted that political creatures in DC, upon hearing the clicking sounds of their internal geiger counters, would do just about anything to protect themselves from the fallout. I have to admit (and if they are honest, most of our friends here will do so as well) that when you first made this prediction, I scoffed:

Quote:
"Politicians and bureaucrats jumping ship like rats? Swamp denizens stabbing their leader in the back to preserve their power and privilege? Never!!"

It's amazing.

I'd say it was a display of prescience rivaling the gifts of Nostradamus, Edgar Caycee or Jean Dixon if I didn't know that it was actually an equally uncanny example of logical deduction predicated, in this case, on your vast knowledge and understanding of the conservative mind.

All those hours dedicated to studying the Modern Conservative Movement and the Koch Brothers have paid off. Time to take a well-deserved bow...wait a minute, you already did that... three times in fact.

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)