monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 06:33 am
Some of you will have noted or been following the recent attacks on Pope Francis, suggesting that Francis is complicit in matters of sexual abuse of children by priests. Of course, he is as is most every conservative figure in the Church. The flare up isn't about abuse at all.
Quote:
Archbishop Viganò has aligned himself with a conservative group of powerful prelates, in both the Vatican and the United States, who have seized on the clerical sex abuse scandal to try to damage Francis and his agenda. They believe the pope is abandoning the church’s rules and traditions through his shift away from culture-war issues like abortion in favor of an emphasis on inclusion, including toward gays, whom Archbishop Viganò and his allies blame for pedophilia in the church.
NYT

It is NOT the case that conservative figures in the Church have acted in any significant way at all to curb these abuses and to correct the institution itself. And there's nothing to suggest they have any such plans at all.
hightor

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 07:23 am
@blatham,
It's pretty transparent and not that dissimilar from the "Pizzagate" idiocy — "Hey everyone, look over here!" The difference being, of course, that the Church actually has been abusing children for years. The ones that escaped outright abuse were subjected to mind-numbing indoctrination from an early age. But nothing grabs the attention of slack-jawed mouth-breathers like rumors of pedophilia.
camlok

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 08:20 am
@hightor,
Quote:
It's pretty transparent and not that dissimilar from the "Pizzagate" idiocy — "Hey everyone, look over here!"

Do you think that among US legislators, folks who avidly and frequently support the slaughter of millions of innocents, there are no pedophiles?

Quote:
The difference being, of course, that the Church actually has been abusing children for years.

Correct, and this same church has been tight, is tight with US/Canadian/Australian/... politicians.

Quote:
The ones that escaped outright abuse were subjected to mind-numbing indoctrination from an early age.

Who else do you know that has been "subjected to mind-numbing indoctrination from an early age?

Quote:
But nothing grabs the attention of slack-jawed mouth-breathers like rumors of pedophilia.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you and Bernie discussing this?
hightor

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 08:34 am
@camlok,
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you and Bernie discussing this?

Actually, no. blatham's post was about conservative prelates who are trying to damage the reform-minded Mr. Bergoglio. And I suggested that using anything remotely connected with pedophilia to smear a person or an institution is pretty effective within some circles.

You want to continue the discussion?
camlok

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 08:38 am
@hightor,
People within the church used their power to abuse young people. Don't you think that US legislators [other countries as well] have done the same thing?
camlok

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 08:39 am
@hightor,
Don't you know any others that has been "subjected to mind-numbing indoctrination from an early age?
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 08:58 am
@camlok,
Quote:
Don't you think that US legislators [other countries as well] have done the same thing?

Not as directly. But children of all countries are subjected to the poisonous effects of rank nationalism and pseudo-patriotism. Legislators, having once been children themselves, often reflect this cultural indoctrination.
coldjoint

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 09:39 am
http://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/soccap.jpg
http://www.aei.org/publication/cartoon-of-the-day-90/
camlok

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 10:16 am
@coldjoint,
Trump: U.S. A "Third-World Country" In Many Cases, "It's An Embarrassment"

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/03/30/trump_us_a_third-world_country_in_many_cases_its_an_embarrassment.html

=================

America is Regressing into a Developing Nation for Most People

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/america-is-regressing-into-a-developing-nation-for-most-people

===============

The US, as compared to Germany, has yet to come to grips with its genocides [the same for Canada, Australia, NZ, UK, ... ] and its [USA] long history of war crimes, terrorism and theft of other countries wealth. The US can be aptly compared to the top criminal Mafia/gangsters in that the both have great wealth but most of it isn't their own.

0 Replies

camlok

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 10:26 am
@hightor,
You smooched your replies together, which is a bit confusing. Again, you can't deny that there US legislators at all levels who were pedophiles, given their power and a submissive populace,

You can't possibly believe that any country has a more conceited, focused system of propaganda than the USA. This is one of the reasons the USA is well known for having the most ignorant population, ignorant of everything except their own propaganda.

Look how no one here, mostly Americans, can't even acknowledge the realty that the US has illegally invaded myriad countries around the world, and slaughtered tens of millions. Never "advancing freedom" to the people who need it most, the poor countries that the US has invaded.
hightor

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 10:41 am
@camlok,
Quote:
Again, you can't deny that there US legislators at all levels who were pedophiles...

I certainly can't "deny" it but I don't know really of any specific cases. Hastert and a few others come to mind but I don't think they were preying on young children. Do you think the practice is more widespread among the legislative community than it is within the general population? Citations?
Quote:
You can't possibly believe that any country has a more conceited, focused system of propaganda than the USA.

Again, I don't really know. Nationalism is a pretty common social disease. Because of our wealth and influence the USAmerican variety is more virulent than that of say, Serbia, but I really don't have enough firsthand knowledge to compare all the countries and rank them.
Quote:
Look how no one here, mostly Americans, can't even acknowledge the realty that the US has illegally invaded myriad countries around the world, and slaughtered tens of millions.

I think most people here are cognizant of the imperial impulse which motivates and inspires much of our foreign policy but not everyone feels it necessary to mention this in every post, as if one can't critique someone else's behavior without first admitting to our own failures and transgressions.
Blickers

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 11:16 am
@blatham,
Quote blatham:
Quote:
Some of you will have noted or been following the recent attacks on Pope Francis, suggesting that Francis is complicit in matters of sexual abuse of children by priests. Of course, he is as is most every conservative figure in the Church. The flare up isn't about abuse at all.

So when does anyone start a No She Ain't Nuts, She's Right campaign for Sinead?

0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 11:24 am
Camlok must have stayed up too late--"no one here . . . can't even acknowledge the realty"--no one here can't? Does that mean everyone can? And what does real estate have to do with it? Then we see: ". . . that there US legislators at all levels . . . " What is that supposed to mean?
camlok

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 11:27 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Do you think the practice is more widespread among the legislative community than it is within the general population? Citations?

Their power would lead one to at least consider that some/many could have been sexual predators like Trump. Back not so long ago, rape was very common and women knew that they should remain silent.

Quote:
camlok: Look how no one here, mostly Americans, can't even acknowledge the realty that the US has illegally invaded myriad countries around the world, and slaughtered tens of millions.

Quote:
I think most people here are cognizant of the imperial impulse which motivates and inspires much of our foreign policy but not everyone feels it necessary to mention this in every post, as if one can't critique someone else's behavior without first admitting to our own failures and transgressions.

"Imperial impulse" - now right there is most of the problem, hightor.

The US has been worse than the Nazi for much much much longer. Imperialism is a sad sad euphemism to cover the most heinous of war crimes, crimes against humanity, terrorism, ... .

Most all the problems/issues that plague the world are because of these US heinous crimes. But there is no honesty in addressing them.

Really, don't you consider the deaths of millions of people, all based on US lies, to be of any importance?

0 Replies

camlok

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 11:31 am
@Setanta,
I admit to these obvious typos, Setanta.

Are you trying to tell us that you are not bright enough to grasp the meaning even with the typos?

And not even a link.

Is this really all you have got? Is this how you do science?
0 Replies

camlok

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 11:39 am
@glitterbag,
Do you think that a person who has spent a lifetime helping a nazi like government commit genocides, murder millions of children, steal the wealth of the world's poor, ... knows anything about human resources, glitterbag?
0 Replies

camlok

Sun 2 Sep, 2018 11:43 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
no one here can't? Does that mean everyone can?

You tell us, Set, you're the language genius of A2K.

Does a double negative/negative concord in English equate to a positive?
0 Replies