monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 10:13 am
@blatham,
Quote:
“But no, I’m not planning to watch this one. I’m planning to specifically not watch it. It’s just not healthy to be in a state of constant outrage.”

Agreed.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 10:19 am
So will Trump keep his pledge to withdraw from TPP on Friday? Going to be a busy day for him.

Trump says US to quit TPP on first day in office
blatham

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 10:20 am
I'm forking over $25 million to settle these lawsuits but that doesn't mean I did anything wrong at all. How dare anyone even suggest that I suckered these ignorant, naive idiots out of their money which will be put to incredible uses by me. And look what they learned! It's a jungle out there and everybody does fraud and misrepresentation and falsehoods and now they know that. I ought to charge them more just for that.
Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump made a payment of $25 million on Wednesday to settle three lawsuits filed against his Trump University wealth seminars.

The Trump Entrepreneur Initiative, formerly named Trump University, made the payment on Wednesday according to a CNN Money report that cited plaintiffs' lawyers.

Out of the settlement, $21 million will go to about 7,000 former Trump University enrollees in two California class action lawsuits and the remaining $4 million will cover a case brought against Trump by New York's attorney general Eric Schneiderman, according to the report. As part of the deal, Trump University did not admit any wrongdoing or fault.

TPM
0 Replies

georgeob1

@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
However, Layman, you try to ignore that he said that after he just pushed through and signed the bill which guaranteed blacks the right to vote, the right to go into a restaurant and order a burger without having to sit in a special section, the right to use the same bathrooms in that restaurant as the white people, and the right to apply for a job and not get automatically turned down because of their color. A historic reversal of the circumstances which kept blacks down to a sub-citizen level for hundreds of years.

And all you can do is talk about Johnson's choice of word at a moment like that? Have you no idea of the importance of what Johnson had just done?

I suspect the issue here is that the rights you listed already existed, though they had been subverted and denied by the very political system from which Johnson emerged, and, as well, supporting attitudes that were fairly pervasive in the country. The race-based laws Johnson played a major role in enacting, squarely addressed some symptoms and manifestations of the core issues but themselves did little about them. Johnson and others did indeed, verbally address the underlying issues, but it appears with little effect.

The net result appears to have been the emergemce of a new political class of largely white self-appointed sponsors of black patronage surrounded by an echelon of also self-appointed black leaders who (in my view) were merely the most agile and exploitave among them, as opposed to real leaders (Jackson and Sharpton are prime examples). It was all a very well intended and fashioned progressive program, but what were its results? Layman has pointed out some of the failures, and the fact that Black Americans also played a role in the outcome.

It appears from your question above that you believe Layman may be insufficiently appreciative for what was done for Black Americans by these new sponsors. I believe that opens a door to a likely very interesting and timely set of questions which I believe will increasingly be discussed and debated in the months ahead.

I think that history (and ongoing events in the rest of the world) should remind us that these physical and cultural differences among peoples living in the same country present serious, often intractable issues everywhere. Discord, isolation and conflict are the rule, not the exception.

There aren't many models out there for lasting success. India sees episodes of religious, tribal and caste based violence and discord. China has issues with Tibetian, and Mongul minorities and various religious groups. Sunni and Sjia Moslems are slaughtering each other with abandon. The EU nations, the UK included, are beset with large numbers of increasingly unassimilated immigrants from the Middle East and North Africa. The banlieues of Paris and other French and Belgian cities and others across much of Europe, attest to a continuing , perhaps still growing problem.

Progressive laws administered by even well-meaning bureaucrats of the ruling group don't appear to yield a lasting solution. Indeed, in a cruel irony, they sometimes suggest a modern, sanitary version of the plantation life of the South.

What works? I believe the expeience of the United States (and Canada} in the 19th & 20th centuries in assimilating millions of refugees and immigrants from across Europe and parts of Asia, may provide a useful example. Decades ago the ethnic origins of Irish, Italian, Jewish ( Ashkenazi, German and Sephardic), Czechs, Slovacs, Poles, Lithuanians, Swedes and many others flooded this country in very large numbers relative to the then established population, were vividly evident to everyone. They were known variously as Paddys or Micks, Dagos, Yids or Kikes, Polacks etc, and all experienced some substantial degree of isolation, rejection and often unfair treatment. Both the U.S. and Canada had the advantage of extensive unfilled territory for this process, but the fact of it is that most of the subsequent successful assimilation occurred in big cities in the East and Midwest. Today those identities have largely dissapeared.

This is an experience that has few equivalents in the world, and I believe it is the best available model foe what is needed now.

That assimilation was not sponsored by any government programs, Indeed it often occurred in spite of them. It occurred often in ethnically defined neighborhoods, with different national groups competing for the next rung up from thre bottom of the economic ladder. The whole process took about three generations and the occupations of the first one mostly involved labor, sports, crime, and small businesses. The second generation moved farther and the third had earned a degree of self-respect and the often grudgingly given respect of others. After that the differences didn't matter much and each group has added its own ingredients to the evolving cosmopolitan culture more or less shared by all.

The Civil War ended slavery, at great cost for all, but Jim Crow largely stopped the clock on this natural assimilation process for Blacks: economic advancement was flatly prohibited. Despite that, and often in the face of real opposition, a cohesive Black family and church culture arose in the South, which, also involved the creation of some lasting unuiversities, and a significant contribution to the evolving culture of the nation, evident in language and song.

The mass Black migration to the North and West that occurred during WWII and supplied a large fraction of the labor for our war effort, was likely very disruptive to Black families and culture - a subject that I believe has received too little attention. I suspect many found themselves at the bottom of the eonomic ladder in places like Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland competing with the hard scrabble immigrants just escaping it, and in a new culture that had little knowledge of and experience with them - a bit like starting over, just at the moment you think you're done.

The progressive laws of the Johnson era did indeed end the Jim Crow system that had stopped the clock on Black assimilation in major parts of the country, as well as focusing other parts of the country on the cultural side effects of the government-supportsed mass movement of Blacks from the South during WWII - both major achievements. However they left us with a legacy of political patronage ( and patrons who get power and money from it) and race based regulation that I believe is now retarding further progress. We have reached a point at which the adverse side effects of affirmative action exceed its direct benefits. Further progress must be made by individual Black Americans taking control of their lives communities and schools, and in the process gailing their self respect and the attendant respect of others. Future government action should focus on getting out of their way and enabling that natrureal process which will also likely liberate a new generation of Black leadership.

A few months ago I attended a talk given by Jason Riley of the Manhattan Institure, and later spent some time with him discussing it. He's an eminent Black journalist, I think from Buffalo NY; the author of a book entitled, "Please Stop Helping Us" ( I think that tells the story) and a frequent commentator on some news shows. He, like the now retiring very eminent Economist and Philosopher, Thomas Sowell are not particular favorites of the Largely White, Progressive would-be managers of Black life in this country, however they are indeed real clear-thinking leaders representative of others who I suspect will soon emerge. We're half-way through the assimilation of Blacks into our increasinglt common cosmopolitan culture and economy in this country. The remaining steps must be taken by the Blacks themselves and we need to get out of their way and let them do it - just as we did with the Irish, Italian, Jewish and other groups that went this way before them. They and we are all Americans.

So is Blatham (sort of)
0 Replies

layman

@blatham,
blatham wrote:

The departments of Commerce and Energy would see major reductions in funding, with programs under their jurisdiction either being eliminated or transferred to other agencies. The departments of Transportation, Justice and State would see significant cuts and program eliminations.

The Corporation for Public Broadcasting would be privatized, while the National Endowment for the Arts and National Endowment for the Humanities would be eliminated entirely.

Overall, the blueprint being used by Trump’s team would reduce federal spending by $10.5 trillion over 10 years.

Sounds great! When there is a downturn in the business environment, adjustments must be made.
blatham

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 10:25 am
@revelette1,
The "first day" will be full-blown propaganda. That's guaranteed.
layman

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 10:30 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

The "first day" will be full-blown propaganda. That's guaranteed.

Gives cheese-eaters one extra day to pack their **** and head to Canada, eh? The round-up begins on day 2.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 10:30 am
DeVos vs. My Special-Needs Son

Quote:
When Virginia Senator Tim Kaine asked her amidst his withering questions whether all K-12 schools receiving governmental funding should be required to abide by the provisions of IDEA, DeVos answered, “I think that is a matter that is best left to the states.”

The whole idea of IDEA (if you will) is to guarantee that disabled children have a right to a free appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment—no matter which state they live in. In other words, its existence as a federal law is to ensure that it is not left to the states.

Kaine refined his question, asking if schools that receive federal funding (public, public charter, or private) should abide by IDEA. She replied, “I think it is certainly worth discussion.”
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 10:32 am
@layman,
No thanks Layman, this cheese eater will stick it out and wait for the coming generations to straighten Trump's mess out.
layman

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 11:01 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

No thanks Layman, this cheese eater will stick it out and wait for the coming generations to straighten Trump's mess out.

Mess? Ya think?

I figure Trump will embark on an 8 year mission of taking kicking ass and taking names, and that, when it's over, the "mess" will have already been "straightened out."

For one (among many) great thing(s), the NYT, CNN, et al will no longer exist.
layman

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 11:12 am
Quote:

“All the President is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway. (Harry S. Truman)

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 11:24 am
@blatham,
I don't need to reread your post.

You answered my question but for some reason you felt the need to redundantly declare the subjects were important.

Of course all primates are not "apes" (but thanks for the taxonomy lesson) and yet your original post referred to them as "from gorillas to gibbons." I'm sure with your great interest in primates you know that gorillas are members of the "Great Apes" and gibbons are members of the "Lesser Apes."

If you are going to insinuate (and for all I know, you may have already declared it) that Trump is a "Climate Change Denier" and will help lead us the end or the world, then I would expect you to believe that a president who believed in Climate Change could save us.

Baldimo

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 11:27 am
@RABEL222,
They do, it's the reason they will not allow people like you or the UN to control their destiny.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 11:32 am
@Lash,
The link was on their main page

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/01/18/donald-trump-inauguration-whos-in-charge-todd-tsr-dnt.cnn

They obviously know that they have a great number of followers who are at a minimum, ghouls.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 12:10 pm
@layman,
You really think Trump will manage get rid of the news organization except for those favorable to him? He must have the self esteem of a flea if he can't handle a little scrutiny.
cicerone imposter

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 12:13 pm
@revelette1,
Don't you wish you had a swatter? LOL
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 12:15 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
He must have the self esteem of a flea if he can't handle a little scrutiny.

It has nothing to do with "scrutiny" as you call it, it has to do with honesty and the lack of "scrutiny" when reporting on the Obama administration. Hardly any news organization "scrutinized" Obama or his policies over the last 8 years. It was only after Trump won the election that the media said to themselves "Well it's time to do our jobs now." , implying they didn't do their jobs while Obama was in office.
cicerone imposter

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 12:18 pm
@Baldimo,
What? What kind of conspiracy is that? Nobody scrutinized Obama during the past eight years?
Please provide evidence for your claim? You're trying to imply that the republicans just didn't react when they could? LOL
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 12:20 pm
@Baldimo,
What? What kind of conspiracy is that? Nobody scrutinized Obama during the past eight years?
Please provide evidence for your claim? You're trying to imply that the republicans just didn't react when they could? LOL

https://ourfuture.org/20140923/the-cost-to-our-economy-from-republican-obstruction-and-sabotage

http://crooksandliars.com/jon-perr/republicans-unprecedented-obstructionism-by-numbers

I have to ask:
1. Is English your second language?
2. Do you comprehend what you read?
3. Do you have access to the media such as tv and newspapers?
4. Do you like your wages to keep up with inflation?
5. Do you prefer congress to cooperate through negotiation?
6. Do you prefer McConnell's tactics of no negotiation/gridlock?
7. Do you understand what the liberals have provided for our citizens such as social security, Medicare, and the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
8. What do you want from our government?
blatham

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 12:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
If you are going to insinuate (and for all I know, you may have already declared it) that Trump is a "Climate Change Denier" and will help lead us the end or the world, then I would expect you to believe that a president who believed in Climate Change could save us.

Quote:
Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.

Aside from that, the rest of your quote here doesn't warrant my time.
0 Replies