monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 07:38 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
But you aren't one bit concerned about this:
At least 72 shot, 13 killed in Chicago over violent summer weekend, police department says

I am not that important, but Trump has spoken about it many times. Were the Hell have you been? Why do you think his popularity ts rising with Blacks?
neptuneblue

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 07:44 pm
@coldjoint,
Is Trump trying to build momentum with black America?

The president claims his popularity with African-Americans is improving. His policies and public statements, experts say, tell a different story.
by David A. Love / Jun.07.2018 / 5:00 PM ET

President Donald Trump posthumously pardons Jack Johnson, boxing's first black heavyweight champion, last month.Susan Walsh / AP

In the last two weeks, President Donald Trump has issued pardons or commutations for two black Americans: Alice Marie Johnson, 63, whose life sentence was commuted, and Jack Johnson, the legendary boxer who received a posthumous pardon.

Alice Johnson had been serving a life sentence for a nonviolent drug offense. More than a century ago, Jack Johnson, the first black heavyweight champion, was convicted of a crime due to what many believe was racially motivated retaliation against him.

These actions, along with a more vocal push from Trump promoting what he calls his "success" at gaining black support, are raising questions about whether he is trying to gain favor among African-Americans across the country, and whether he can succeed in that goal.

Dr. Zebulon Miletsky, assistant professor of Africana studies at Stony Brook University in New York, told NBC News that Trump is using the pardons to send a message to the black community.

“He’s saying, ‘I’ll help you, but you do what I tell you,’” Miletsky said. “What he’s doing with the commutation of Alice Marie Johnson is he’s saying, 'This is the behavior I‘m looking for.’”

Gaining actual trust in the black community will take much more, Miletsky said.

"Trump and those folks are going to have to get to know African-American history, and not by giving token things that they think will make a difference."

Alice Johnson is one of thousands who are serving life without parole for a nonviolent offense. Last week, Trump met with Kim Kardashian West — the reality TV star and wife of hip-hop mogul and Trump supporter Kanye West — to talk prison reform and sentencing. At the meeting, Kardashian West advocated a pardon for Alice Johnson.

Trump reportedly told the Wests that they were boosting his popularity among African-American voters.

“Kanye West must have some power because you probably saw I doubled my African-American poll numbers. We went from 11 to 22 in one week,” Trump said on May 4 at the NRA annual conference in Dallas, referring to West’s recent tweet praising him.

He cited a recent Reuters poll, alhough that claim was misleading because of the poll's small sample size.

Trump has brought up the record-low black unemployment rate for which he has sought to take credit, even as the racial gap between black and white unemployment remains high.

Linda Haywood represented Jack Johnson's family at the White House ceremony that made the pardon official. She said Trump's motivation for clearing Johnson's name doesn't matter.

"I have no idea why President Trump did it," she said. "Actually, I'm going to tell you the truth. I don’t give a damn what his motive was. I don't give a hoot in hell."

Dr. Elwood Watson, professor of history, African-American studies and gender studies at East Tennessee State University, said Trump made the right decision to pardon the boxer. Watson said she believes the pardon was directed toward former President Barack Obama, because he declined to issue a pardon for Johnson, but also to quell the argument that Trump is a bigot.

0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 07:50 pm
Quote:
How The Clintons Directed Michael Cohen To Plead Guilty & Implicate President Trump

Quote:
Now the Mueller investigation is said to be working furiously to use the plea deal script that was manufactured by Clinton operative Lanny Davis to further implicate President Trump. An indictment will follow – one that may or may not actually be enforceable given the powers of the president but that won’t matter. The indictment will be used to further motivate/influence the 2018 Midterms. Enemies of Trump, and they are legion, are said to be hoping for impeachment proceedings by March of 2019.

Far-fetched you say? Consider this – Michael Cohen pleaded guilty to non-crimes as they relate to Donald Trump. He has tax issues, fraud issues, but what Davis was most concerned with is the alleged “hush money” payments that Cohen now says were directed by then-candidate Trump in 2016. That is the only legal item that involves the president directly regarding the Cohen plea – and it isn’t a crime. It’s a fake charge but Cohen is playing ball with the prosecution because of the other charges he is facing. This is how the U.S. government works. It can manufacture anything to go after anyone at any time and no entity has done this more often and more aggressively than the Clinton Crime Syndicate.

If for one minute you do not think the Clinton's have this power you are an uninformed idiot. Just the fact she was allowed to run for president was a slap in the face to equal justice. Just like her being free today is another crime.

Read more at http://dcwhispers.com/how-the-clintons-directed-michael-cohen-to-plead-guilty-implicate-president-trump/#9BqskxSHuBFxP2UM.99
neptuneblue

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 07:56 pm
@coldjoint,
WTF???

How do you even equate the Clintons into Michael Cohen paying hush money?

You DO know who is president, correct?
McGentrix

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 07:56 pm
Not my list, but let us take a look so far. Please feel free to disagree, but do so with some sort of evidence please.

Quote:
Neil Gorsuch on the Supreme Court

Stock Market reached an all-time high

Consumer confidence at 17-year high

More than 2 million jobs created

Mortgage applications for new homes rise to a 7-year high

Unemployment rate at 17-year low

Signed the Promoting Women In Entrepreneurship Act

Gutted Obama-era regulations

Ended war on coal

Weakened Dodd-Frank regulations

Promoted buying and hiring American

Investment from major businesses (FoxConn, Toyota, Ford and others)

Reduced illegal immigration

Bids for Border Wall underway

Fighting back against sanctuary cities

Created Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement Office

Changed rules of engagement against ISIS

Drafted plans to defeat ISIS

Worked to reduce F-35 cost

5-year lobbying ban

Sanctioned Iran over missile program

Responded to Syria's use of chemical weapons

Introduced tax reform plan

Renegotiating NAFTA

Withdrew from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)

Removed The United States out of The Paris Accord

Created task force to reduce crime

DOJ targeting MS-13

Signed an Executive Order to promote energy independence and economic growth

Signed Executive Order to protect police officers

Signed Executive Order to target drug cartels

Signed Executive Order for religious freedom

Sending education back to The States

Fixing the Department of Veterans Affairs

SCOTUS upheld parts of President Trump's temporary travel ban Executive Order

Authorized the construction of The Keystone Pipeline

Created commission on opioid addiction

Combating human trafficking (both EO and action)

Rollback of Obama's Cuba policy

Food Stamp use lowest level in 7 years

Reduced White House payroll

Donating Presidential Salary

Executive Order on Obamacare subsidies

Would not certify the Iran Nuclear Deal

Successful trip to Asia

Signed trade deal with China

Designated North Korea a terrorist state

ISIS lost virtually all of its territory

Recognized Jerusalem as Israel's capital

Passage of Tax Reform Bill

Signed 130 bills into law

Made 136 Presidential Proclamations

Signed 64 Executive Orders
coldjoint

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 07:57 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
How do you even equate the Clintons into Michael Cohen paying hush money?

Lanny Davis. The same guilt by association you attach to Trump.
neptuneblue

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 08:18 pm
@coldjoint,
The many lives of Michael Cohen's new lawyer
Chris Cillizza
Analysis by Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large

Updated 11:41 AM ET, Thu July 26, 2018
Why the Trump-Cohen tape is a big deal

(CNN)Turn CNN on Tuesday night and a familiar face was looking back at you. You might not have been able to recall his name immediately, or even remember his story. But you knew you knew the face: Tanned with sagging bags under the eyes and a sparse thatch of hair atop his head.

That face belongs to Lanny Davis, the man who, suddenly, is at the center of the burgeoning battle between Michael Cohen and President Donald Trump -- a fight with huge implications for the second half of the President's first term in office.

For Davis, who signed on as Cohen's lawyer earlier this month, his advocacy for Cohen -- on Tuesday night he handed over a secretly recorded conversation between Trump and his client to CNN -- is the latest odd iteration of a man who has spent a lifetime reinventing himself as a staple of political Washington. Depending on your view of him, Davis is either the ultimate survivor or a bad penny that just keeps turning up. (New York magazine's Jonathan Chait described Davis as a "buffoon" and a "sleaze merchant" in 2012.)

Either way, however, no one can deny that Davis is a man of (at least) nine lives.

Davis' career in politics began in the most mundane of ways: As a committeeman from Maryland to the Democratic National Committee. He entered the big time, in terms of national politics, in the mid 1990s thanks to -- who else -- the Clintons. (Davis had met Bill and Hillary Clinton at Yale Law School.) Davis was plucked from relative obscurity by Clinton to serve as special White House counsel -- a job that amounted to serving as Clinton's very public legal defender against a series of allegations, most notably the fundraising issues (think "Lincoln bedroom") surrounding the incumbent's 1996 re-election effort. (Davis, in a bit of good fortune, left the White House just before the Monica Lewinsky scandal began to come to light.)

Taking advantage of the high profile afforded to him by his former post at the White House, Davis became a sort of lawyer/consultant/communications adviser to celebrities and companies that were facing public relations crises. His clients included the Washington Redskins (Davis was tasked with taking some of the heat away from calls for the team to change its name), Alex Rodriguez, Martha Stewart and Penn State University in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse scandal.
In a 2013 profile of Davis, The Washington Post's Paul Farhi describes Davis and his career this way:

"Since becoming Clinton's media snake charmer in late 1996, Davis has been an irrepressible public gabber. He has been working the news media on behalf of clients for years, while also appearing incessantly on cable news and radio as a reliable liberal talking head, popping off about just about everything. ... A Washington regulatory attorney and Montgomery County political operative until the Clinton gig raised his profile, he dropped much of his conventional law practice and reinvented himself as a consigliere to people and companies in 'crisis,' meaning anyone taking a whupping in the media."

Davis' willingness to defend -- and advocate for -- clients that, in the eyes of some, are indefensible, has turned him into a massive lightning rod, a man portrayed as willing to do or so anything for a buck. Of his clients, Davis says in a statement on his website:
"What I do for a living is crisis management, So people ask me, am I sorry that I defend people that are in trouble having a hard time getting the facts out? No. Is that a controversial line of work? Yes. But I think I have the ability to get facts out and do it successfully. It means sometimes I'm part of the controversy because I'm trying to help."
Davis returned to hard-core politics during the 2016 campaign, when he emerged as one of the leading -- and loudest -- critics of journalists (yours truly very much included) who wrote regularly about Hillary Clinton's decision to use a private email server during her time at the State Department. Any story tied to Clinton's email that sought to raise questions about her judgment and the possible implications on the 2016 contest was sure to be greeted by a fireball tweet from Davis.
In the wake of Clinton's stunning loss, Davis tried to understand why. And he offered his own opinion in a book entitled "The Unmaking of the President 2016: How FBI Director James Comey Cost Hillary Clinton the Presidency" which is, well, pretty self-explanatory. Clinton attended the Washington book party for Davis' book.

And then, at least by Davis' standards, not much of anything. A stray op-ed here defending Clinton -- and blaming Comey and the media -- for her loss. Then, suddenly, Cohen!

According to Davis, he was drawn to Cohen's statement in an early July interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos in which Trump's one-time personal lawyer/fixer seemed to walk away from his past undying loyalty to Trump.

"Like most of America, I have been following the matter regarding Michael Cohen with great interest," Davis told CNN to explain his decision to sign on with Cohen "As an attorney, I have talked to Michael many times in the last two weeks. Then I read his words published on July 2, and I recognized his sincerity. Michael Cohen deserves to tell his side of the story -- subject, of course, to the advice of counsel."

Within a month, Davis has suddenly become a prime mover in the unspooling drama between Cohen and Trump. Davis was the one who turned over to CNN the secretly-recorded tape of Cohen and Trump discussing the possibility of buying the story of a former Playmate who alleged an affair with the President. And it was Davis, tanned, rested and ready, who spent nearly a half hour Tuesday night with CNN's Chris Cuomo on "Cuomo Prime Time" making the case for Cohen.

"This man has turned a corner in his life, has hit a reset button, and he's now dedicated to telling the truth," Davis insisted, his face betraying zero irony or sarcasm.

The man is, after all, a professional.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 08:20 pm
Quote:
CNN Editor-at-large

Enough said. Bias city.
neptuneblue

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 08:28 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Penn State University in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse scandal.

Enough said.

Ew.
0 Replies

camlok

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 08:29 pm
@coldjoint,
US media is propaganda central. They just keep it going to confuse Dems and Repugs.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 08:30 pm
Quote:
NFL Legend Jim Brown Backs Trump in 2020, Risks Being ‘Unpopular in the Black Community’

I think it will bring more Blacks into the Republican party.
Quote:
Jim Brown, the legendary NFL running back, was one of the most fearless players to ever play the game. Now, at age 82, he’s showing incredible courage today.

Brown, who has always been a civil rights activist after his days in the NFL, has officially thrown his support behind President Donald J. Trump. As he opined in today’s challenging political climate, he knows he is risking being “very unpopular in the black community.”

Brown was not afraid of anything when he played, why should he stop now?
https://thepoliticalinsider.com/jim-brown-supports-trump-2020/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tpi
neptuneblue

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 08:36 pm
@coldjoint,
Ok, that's not even fair.

I am a Brown's fan.

0-16

Talk about being unpopular...
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 08:37 pm
The felonious Crime Boss is now the "Unindicted Cocnspirator" - be looking for RICO charges after Impeachment. But, the crime family is going down. All of them; those before, during and after the election!
BillW

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 08:54 pm
National Enquired boss has now stated he received payments from Cohen and tRump. He is cooperation with the Justice Department Prosecutors.
glitterbag

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 08:58 pm
@BillW,
Glad to see you back.
maporsche

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 09:00 pm
@neptuneblue,
I live here and I’m not overly concerned about it either.

It’s strange when people make Chicago out to be dangerous when it’s per-capita numbers place it in pretty good company as far as America is concerned.
camlok

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 09:11 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I live here and I’m not overly concerned about it either.

You likely wouldn't be singing that tune had you been the subject of centuries of racism.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 09:14 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
National Enquired boss has now stated he received payments from Cohen and tRump.

So what? Alan Dersowitz has says their is no crime. Case closed.
coldjoint

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 09:25 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
The felonious Crime Boss is now the "Unindicted Cocnspirator"

No he is not. That is a lie, and everyone with any legal background would tell you, also another claim Dersowitz debunked. Try again.

This only shows desperation when you name a crime and cannot cite the statute it breaks. Unless you can name the statute, should I wait?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 09:37 pm
Has anyone seen any Russian collusion besides Killary's and the DNC's yet?