monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Sun 19 Aug, 2018 06:18 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Excellent article--although I suspect it'll be water on a duck's back with any conservative/Tory operatives here who actually read it.

They'd be sure to click on it if it mentioned "pedophilia" in the header!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 19 Aug, 2018 06:56 am
@Builder,
Le Canard enchaîné, an investigative and satirical weekly, is the most important one, as far as I am concerned. It's owned by some of its writters and founders.

Le Monde, a center-left daily, is owned by a mix of private investors, the Société des rédacteurs du Monde (a group of journalists), another group of Le Monde workers (printers, secretaries, managers etc.), and the Société des lecteurs du Monde, a group of faithful readers who subscribed to help the newspaper during hard times in the 80's. Le Monde's holding owns a variety of other titles, e.g. Le Monde Diplomatique.

Libération, a leftist daily, used to be co-managed by its journalists and owners -- not anymore.

Charlie Hebdo, a satirical extreme left weekly, is owned by a society of writters. I never read it that much, though... too leftist for me.
Olivier5

Sun 19 Aug, 2018 07:50 am
@Olivier5,
Both Le Monde and Le Monde Diplomatique have English websites BTW.

https://www.lemonde.fr/le-monde-in-english/

https://mondediplo.com

The 2, owned by the same group of investors, writers, workers and readers of Le Monde, are markedly different in content -- Le Monde is generalist, while Le Monde Diplo is about geopolitics, conflicts and diplomacy -- and political slant -- the Diplo is anti-capitalist, old-school left while le Monde almost defines the French mainstream
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 19 Aug, 2018 08:43 am
https://i.imgflip.com/185nhx.jpg
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 19 Aug, 2018 08:47 am
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ea/c9/4a/eac94ac5cf260971a7e67773808e939d.jpg
0 Replies

jcboy

Sun 19 Aug, 2018 08:51 am
tRump and his supporters have no respect for the rule of law.

Manafort Judge Says He’s Getting Death Threats

Quote:
The judge presiding over the trial of former Trump presidential campaign chairman Paul Manafort will not release the names and addresses of jurors to prevent exposing them to threats similar to what he has received, he said Friday.

Judge T.S. Ellis III said he has received death threats during the proceedings over the last few weeks and has had a U.S. marshals detail following him at all times.

The Washington Post, CNN, Buzzfeed and other media outlets filed a motion requesting that Ellis release jurors’ information and unseal transcripts from certain sidebar conferences during the trial, in which lawyers from both sides met with the judge to hash out technical disputes.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 19 Aug, 2018 09:14 am
@jcboy,
Considering that the judge has been criticized by the MSM for being antagonistic towards the prosecution, it is far more likely that the nuts making threats are left-wingers rather than Trump supporters. Why does the MSM need the names of the jurors? Why do we in the public need that info?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 19 Aug, 2018 09:24 am
What is the nature of a Jew?
0 Replies

Blickers

Sun 19 Aug, 2018 09:44 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote Finn:
Quote:
As agitprop agents go, I have to reluctantly admit that you're not bad. Surely your handlers will recognize this and promote you.
Sorry, too many charts and graphs in my posts to qualify as a troll simply posting talking points. Besides which, I post too much about nonpolitical stuff.

Did you know Uranus smells like rotten eggs?
0 Replies

Blickers

Sun 19 Aug, 2018 09:56 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote Finn to maporsche:
Quote:
You never once saw me support the notion that Obama was a traitor and if any high ranking, former member of the Bush Administration had called him one I would have found it equally disgraceful.
That's probably because Obama's attorney general didn't lie to the Senate about meeting high ranking Russian officials. Then the "Enemy of the People" press discovered he met with them a second time. Or that Obama didn't have a national security advisor like Trump's Carter Page, who was best buddies for awhile with a bunch of Russians who got busted for being a Kremlin spy ring.

Or that Obama's campaign manager had just got finished being paid $60 Million working for Putin-connected oligarchs in Ukraine for over a decade. During his time as campaign manager, he was NOT paid by Trump-but he was still on salary to the oligarchs. Russian oligarchs were paying Manafort to be Trump's campaign manager.

Or that Obama didn't have another national security advisor like Trump's Mike Flynn, who was giving information on the phone to the Russian ambassador that Putin doesn't have to worry about sanctions against Russia, Trump's getting rid of those as soon as he becomes president.

Or that Obama didn't appoint a son-in-law as White House aide to read the national security report to him during meetings, meanwhile all the time meeting with the heads of Russian banks trying to get additional loans of hundreds of millions of dollars to prop up his real estate venture at 666 Fifth Avenue. And not telling the FBI about it.

That's probably the reason you didn't call Obama a traitor. Because you had no reason to.

What do you call Trump, a well-meaning public servant who just chose to surround himself with appointments who are all connected to Russian officials and oligarchs?
Below viewing threshold (view)
hightor

Sun 19 Aug, 2018 11:15 am
@Blickers,
Good post!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 19 Aug, 2018 11:43 am
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/08/07/for-most-us-workers-real-wages-have-barely-budged-for-decades/

Quote:
After adjusting for inflation, however, today’s average hourly wage has just about the same purchasing power it did in 1978, following a long slide in the 1980s and early 1990s and bumpy, inconsistent growth since then. In fact, in real terms average hourly earnings peaked more than 45 years ago: The $4.03-an-hour rate recorded in January 1973 had the same purchasing power that $23.68 would today.

A similar measure – the “usual weekly earnings” of employed, full-time wage and salary workers – tells much the same story, albeit over a shorter time period. In seasonally adjusted current dollars, median usual weekly earnings rose from $232 in the first quarter of 1979 (when the data series began) to $879 in the second quarter of this year, which might sound like a lot. But in real, inflation-adjusted terms, the median has barely budged over that period: That $232 in 1979 had the same purchasing power as $840 in today’s dollars.

much more (and link-backs to numbers) at the link
revelette1

Sun 19 Aug, 2018 01:34 pm
@coldjoint,
Perhaps simply to educate folks as to how wages are not keeping up with the cost of living, regardless of who is sitting in the WH?

I think unions needs a big come back.
0 Replies

maporsche

Sun 19 Aug, 2018 01:40 pm
@coldjoint,
This isn’t Trumps fault.

He did pass a tax cut and made promises that it would have real effects on wages. If that doesn’t come true, then that claim will be shown to be a lie. The blue collar people who believed in him may become a bit pissed.