monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

MontereyJack

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:02 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
7 years before his death. That is exactly what Trumps wants.

No, it isn't.. What Trump wants is hyphenated Trump-Americans, people who swear allegiance to him, not the Constitution, not the country He's demonstrated that repeatedly. Which is why it's vitally important that everybody VOTE in November and turn out all the Republican sycophants who follow his every changing whim.
coldjoint

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:04 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
What Trump wants is hyphenated Trump-Americans, people who swear allegiance to him, not the Constitution,

That is too stupid to answer.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:14 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Tough. You don’t publically call the president of the Unites States a traitor if you are a “patriot”

That's debatable. What if you sincerely believe that the president is incompetent, dishonest, or has violated his oath of office? Here's a dictionary definition of "patriot":
Quote:
a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.

Whether or not the sun rises in the East is debatable. Calling anyone, let alone POTUS, a traitor is an extremely serious accusation that no true patriot would indulge in because of a personal vendetta.

So unless someone is privy to the inner workings of Brennan's brain I don't see how we establish that his devotion falls short of what's required to be truly "patriotic". Obviously different people have different conceptions of what it means to be a "patriot". I doubt that uncritical support of a sitting president is a widely accepted criterion.

I don't know why it is necessary to constantly point out I don't object to criticism of POTUS (Actually I do - I have to constantly respond to intellectually dishonest cheap arguments)

Quote:
Nor do spy on members of Congress and then lie about it.

Publicly revealing the existence of a top secret intelligence program would be considered disgracefully "unpatriotic" in some circles.

Oh really? Please defend, specifically, how the CIA's spying on Dianne Feinstein was crucial to National Security...especially since it didn't lead to the revelation that a member of her staff for decades was a Chinese agent. You libs used to almost pathologically distrust the CIA and FBI, but now you are among their greatest defenders. What the hell happened?

Quote:
Your tolerance of his disgraceful behavior is remarkable but telling

What you think I "tolerate" is totally irrelevant. Why personalize the discussion? Any alleged hypocrisy on my part doesn't change the fact that you made this statement:
Quote:
He's calling POTUS a traitor for meeting with Putin.

I disagreed and pointed out that Trump was criticized for his behavior, not for simply meeting with Putin. Tough.

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:15 pm
@hightor,
An irrelevant question. Answer the first one.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:17 pm
@MontereyJack,
Yes because we are right on the edge of Dictator Trump destroying our democracy! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
MontereyJack

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:22 pm
@coldjoint,
Hardly. Look at the allegiance he demands of everybosdy who works for him or has ever worked for him, ALLEGIANCE TO HIM, not the country, not the Consitution. Vote out all the goons who support him in November.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:25 pm
Quote:
Whiney John Brennan Revoked the Security Clearances of Benghazi Heroes

I wonder why?
Quote:
BRENNAN REMOVED PARONTO’S CLEARANCES WITHOUT GIVING A REASON

Paronto said he never shared intel but his security clearance was removed by Brennan. Brennan never told him why.

He blasted Brennan for the way the heroes of Benghazi were treated upon return.

Brennan is not a hero. Brennan will never be a hero.
http://ninetymilesfromtyranny.blogspot.com/2018/08/whiney-john-brennan-revoked-security.html?spref=tw
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, yes, we are. Which is why there is a blue wave coming in November, and a number of Republicans are horror stricken at the predictions that the y may lose up to 72 seats in the House in Nov. Good riddance to them all. America is fed up. We didn't
vote for him. We don't want him.
coldjoint

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:29 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
America is fed up.

With you and others like you.
gungasnake

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:34 pm

Hammer about to drop on the social media monopolies...

http://magaimg.net/img/5yqp.jpg
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:43 pm
@coldjoint,
No. With Trump.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:50 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:

When Teddy Roosevelt Banned Muslims from America

Quote:

Unlike modern presidents, Roosevelt did not view Islam as a force for good. Instead he had described Muslims as “enemies of civilization”, writing that, “The civilization of Europe, America and Australia exists today at all only because of the victories of civilized man over the enemies of civilization”, praising Charles Martel and John Sobieski for throwing back the “Moslem conquerors” whose depredations had caused Christianity to have “practically vanished from the two continents.”

While today even mentioning “Radical Islam” occasions hysterical protests from the media, Theodore Roosevelt spoke and wrote casually of “the murderous outbreak of Moslem brutality” and, with a great deal of foresight offered a description of reform movements in Egypt that could have been just as well applied to the Arab Spring, describing the “mass of practically unchained bigoted Moslems to whom the movement meant driving out the foreigner, plundering and slaying the local Christian.”

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/263879/when-teddy-roosevelt-banned-muslims-america-daniel-greenfield
A recent article. 2 days ago.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Oh really? Please defend, specifically, how the CIA's spying on Dianne Feinstein was crucial to National Security...especially since it didn't lead to the revelation that a member of her staff for decades was a Chinese agent.

Why do I need to "defend" something that I had nothing to do with implementing? No one asked me for my input. It happened. It happened in a feverish atmosphere stoked by fear of terrorist attacks and general paranoia. It happened when our response to a criminal act was turned into wide-ranging wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, and several other countries. It happened when torture was sanctioned at the highest levels. It happened when the deaths of innocent civilians were written off as "collateral damage".

The whole situation is an open festering sore. I've condemned nationalism, militarism, and corporatism many times; I really don't feel the need to attack — or defend — every misstep that occurs because the country took a wrong turn somewhere, sometime. I suppose Brennan was trying to protect the CIA. While I would have preferred that he hadn't felt forced to lie, I hardly think he's the villain he's made out to be.
Quote:
You libs used to almost pathologically distrust the CIA and FBI, but now you are among their greatest defenders. What the hell happened?

As I've said before, I never criticized the FBI for it's efforts to fight organized crime, international drug trafficking, white collar crime, etc. And, to a great extent, the CIA is no longer the same organization it was before the Church Commission.

Institutions can change over time. This is exemplified by the fact that the right used to almost pathologically support the CIA and FBI but now is one of their biggest detractors. What the hell happened?
hightor

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I believe my question is very relevant. Trump's unfitness for office scares career diplomats and intelligence professionals. They've never experienced a person like Trump sitting in the oval office and that's why he's received such unrelenting criticism from quarters normally known to show more restraint.
ehBeth

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 01:23 pm
https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2014-12/putin–roosevelt-connection

https://davisdunavin.wordpress.com/2010/06/29/is-vladimir-putin-russias-teddy-roosevelt/

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2003/nov/10/20031110-102546-7846r/

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/opinion/06bradley.html

Roosevelt = Putin = #45?

weird eh

Roosevelt woulda been pissed about those comparisons to a Russian

Quote:
President Roosevelt was no fan of the Russians: “No human beings, black, yellow or white, could be quite as untruthful, as insincere, as arrogant — in short, as untrustworthy in every way — as the Russians,” he wrote in August 1905, near the end of the Russo-Japanese

but he would likely would have been cool about unconstitutional behaviour

Quote:
In a secret presidential cable to Tokyo, in July 1905, Roosevelt approved the Japanese annexation of Korea and agreed to an “understanding or alliance” among Japan, the United States and Britain “as if the United States were under treaty obligations.” The “as if” was key: Congress was much less interested in North Asia than Roosevelt was, so he came to his agreement with Japan in secret, an unconstitutional act.

an interesting little read if you're feeling the need to read about Roosevelt and Russia

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1978/11/18/teddy-roosevelts-peace-talks/634ca8b6-b698-4a38-9997-92e0cdaab00e/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 01:26 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Trump's unfitness for office scares career diplomats and intelligence professionals.

Obama diplomats and weaponized intelligence officers should be ignored. They gave us Islamic terror on steroids, and a disregard for American citizens unequaled by any administration. They are corrupt losers that are supported by people who want power, nothing else matters to them. .
Walter Hinteler

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 01:30 pm
@coldjoint,
hightor wrote:
Trump's unfitness for office scares career diplomats and intelligence professionals.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 02:22 pm
White House Counsel Has Cooperated Extensively With Mueller’s Obstruction Inquiry

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The White House counsel, Donald F. McGahn II, has cooperated extensively in the special counsel investigation, sharing detailed accounts about the episodes at the heart of the inquiry into whether President Trump obstructed justice, including some that investigators would not have learned of otherwise, according to a dozen current and former White House officials and others briefed on the matter.

In at least three voluntary interviews with investigators that totaled 30 hours over the past nine months, Mr. McGahn described the president’s furor toward the Russia investigation and the ways in which he urged Mr. McGahn to respond to it. He provided the investigators examining whether Mr. Trump obstructed justice a clear view of the president’s most intimate moments with his lawyer.

Among them were Mr. Trump’s comments and actions during the firing of the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, and Mr. Trump’s obsession with putting a loyalist in charge of the inquiry, including his repeated urging of Attorney General Jeff Sessions to claim oversight of it. Mr. McGahn was also centrally involved in Mr. Trump’s attempts to fire the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, which investigators might not have discovered without him.

For a lawyer to share so much with investigators scrutinizing his client is unusual. Lawyers are rarely so open with investigators, not only because they are advocating on behalf of their clients but also because their conversations with clients are potentially shielded by attorney-client privilege, and in the case of presidents, executive privilege.

NYT
0 Replies

Builder

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 03:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
As agitprop agents go, I have to reluctantly admit that you're not bad.

Yes, much less "agit" than some.

I've noted the worst of them tone it down when I refuse to take their ridiculous baited hooks.

Pretty funny when they say they're leaving the thread, but can't stay away, even for one page.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 18 Aug, 2018 03:42 pm
@MontereyJack,
Keep dreaming. Dems probably will win back the house with a slim margin and then indulge themselves in an impeachment farce, but they've no chance with the Senate.
0 Replies