monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:14 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The point you are rather persistently missing is that such polls are not democracy at all, and certainly not "the essence of it" as you assert.

But I did not assert that. I said that polls, like voting, give us estimates of what a population, considered in toto, desire in the way of policy. Polling, like voting, does not touch everyone thus an incomplete picture is provided. But neither ought to be ignored, obviously voting far more acutely.

Re essence of democracy, I was referring to the necessity (if we are to match what that word means) of using such an assay of the popular will to set policy, rather than an assay of powerful interests which have great power to influence politicians and policy or any politico's personal ideology/preferences.
blatham

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:15 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Blatham and some of his fellow progressives don't ever want to surrender the clubs they have so happily used against their opponents, and therefore believe the answer is "For All Time!"

Nah. Never said nor thought anything like that.
georgeob1

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:17 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

If the desired end of eliminating "racism" would be the establishment of an atmosphere and culture where skin color is irrelevant and never even mentioned or thought of in terms of social interactions, and such, then that goal will NEVER be attained with the Blathys of the world running around.

These race-baiters try to reduce every conversation to racial differences. They EMPHASIZE such differences as they may imagine to exist 24/7.

Exactly !!

The cure for racism is most certainly not more of it. The cure begins with the prevasive choice, by individuals and government alike, to, as Martin Luther King put it, judge others by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. ( indeed, given the variety of shades and colorations out there, that appears to be a comically meaningless and hopeless task anyway)
cicerone imposter

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:19 am
@blatham,
Polls are statistics that can be used in economics, business, and governments. It's a useful tool.
https://www.reference.com/math/importance-statistics-66787baffae65125
I took a course in Statistics in college, but forgot most of it. I remember, it included differential calculus, and the ability to include different variables to measure the economic cost or benefit.
georgeob1

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:26 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
The point you are rather persistently missing is that such polls are not democracy at all, and certainly not "the essence of it" as you assert.

But I did not assert that. I said that polls, like voting, give us estimates of what a population, considered in toto, desire in the way of policy. Polling, like voting, does not touch everyone thus an incomplete picture is provided. But neither ought to be ignored, obviously voting far more acutely.

Re essence of democracy, I was referring to the necessity (if we are to match what that word means) of using such an assay of the popular will to set policy, rather than an assay of powerful interests which have great power to influence politicians and policy or any politico's personal ideology/preferences.

The essence of your error here is that you fail to state just who will use the "assay of the popular will" to set policy, and who, or by what means, he/she will be appointed or removed from office = rather than the "powerful interests which have great power..." . Will an appointed Bureaucracy of "experts" (like Dr. Johanathan Gruber of ACA ill-fame) do it? You don't address this crucial element of the matter at all.

The analogy with Aesop's tale of the proposal that the mice hang a bell around the cat's neck is perfect. You just don't get it.
maporsche

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:28 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

layman wrote:

If the desired end of eliminating "racism" would be the establishment of an atmosphere and culture where skin color is irrelevant and never even mentioned or thought of in terms of social interactions, and such, then that goal will NEVER be attained with the Blathys of the world running around.

These race-baiters try to reduce every conversation to racial differences. They EMPHASIZE such differences as they may imagine to exist 24/7.

Exactly !!

The cure for racism is most certainly not more of it. The cure begins with the prevasive choice, by individuals and government alike, to, as Martin Luther King put it, judge others by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. ( indeed, given the variety of shades and colorations out there, that appears to be a comically meaningless and hopeless task anyway)

George, when you see data that shows that a) black people are more likely to get harsher prison sentences than white people for same/similar crimes, or b) white sounding names like Tanner are more likely to get job interviews than black sounding names like Shaquille even when the resumes are letter for letter identical ..... well, what do you purpose the nation should try to do about that?
blatham

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:28 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:

Exactly !!

The first sentence quoted is a tad distant from being accurate or truthful given that I've written something like a thousand sentences here on all sorts of political and social issues between that post on the white supremacist from germany and any prior time I've spoken to race issues.

It is unavoidable when one addresses race issues that one is focusing on race issues. Is there some historical point you fellas can indicate where speaking of racial injustices flipped from helpful to unhelpful? Would that be nationwide? It would be interesting to get how you measure this thing.

And as with sexism where we sometimes understand that such a discussion really ought to include female voices, ought this one to include the voices of those of us who aren't white?
blatham

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
Yup.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:32 am
@blatham,
You are merely retreating behind contemporary "memes" of political correctitide, ( this is the first time I have ever stooped to using that awful word), and avoiding the issue before you.

The rest is just gorilla dust meant to deflect the question. What you have written in the thousands of other pages on A2K is not relevant here.

I assume you do it because you are unable to make a go of addressing the point at issue.
maporsche

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:36 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

layman wrote:

Exactly !!

What other problems in society could we solve by simply ignoring the issue george?

Could we solve poverty if we just stopped measuring it or talking about it?
Could we fix unemployment if we just stopped measure jobs gained/lost and stopped helping the unemployed?

You're a business guy; you must have heard the phrase "What gets measured gets done". I don't know many instances in life where things get better by ignoring them.

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=what%20gets%20measured%20gets%20done&oq=what%20gets%20measured%20gets%20done&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6088j0j7
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:40 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The essence of your error here is that you fail to state just who will use the "assay of the popular will" to set policy, and who, or by what means, he/she will be appointed or removed from office = rather than the "powerful interests which have great power..." . Will an appointed Bureaucracy of "experts" (like Dr. Johanathan Gruber of ACA ill-fame) do it? You don't address this crucial element of the matter at all.

We have the imperfect mechanisms that place people in office and remove them - elections. But that's precisely where corruption (which negates the popular will, thus democracy) enters in.

Re "powerful interests", I'm referring to the imbalance of power and influence between, say, the citizens of a town near a polluting source where the corporate interests of that polluter commonly have far greater means to set or influence policy than do the citizens themselves. They have the money, the lobbyists, the marketing people, the capacity to fund campaigns to a level that citizens cannot compete with, etc.
blatham

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:46 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
You are merely retreating behind contemporary "memes" of political correctitide, ( this is the first time I have ever stooped to using that awful word), and avoiding the issue before you.
Actually, no. I was pointing to that ridiculous claim and cliche by layman that I (or others) bring every question down to race. To which you responded "Exactly" with two exclamation marks, no less.
Quote:
I assume you do it because you are unable to make a go of addressing the point at issue.
That would be convenient for you.
georgeob1

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:54 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Actually, no. I was pointing to that ridiculous claim and cliche by layman that I (or others) bring every question down to race. To which you responded "Exactly" with two exclamation marks, no less.
What was the "riduclous claim and cliche" to which you are referring? Layman asserted that skin color should become irellevant in social interactions. Is that ridiculous?
Quote:
blatham wrote:
That would be convenient for you.

A cute retort, I'll give you that, but where is your response ??
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:55 am
@blatham,
Well, I don't know that you will find many who disagree with the notion that we should correct injustices when we find them. Obviously there will be much disagreement on what constitutes an "injustice."

For example: European White settlers did horrible things to the Indians they found on the land they wanted. In turn, the Indians did horrible things to the European White settlers, when they could. Unfortunately for the Indians they were unable to defeat the European White settlers. Injustice or historical imperative? And even if the later, what does modern Canada need to do about it?

In any case, can I assume you don't believe current day Germany needs to "atone" for Nazi crimes?
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:56 am
@blatham,
I'm sure you never said it, but how would I know if you ever thought it?

What is required for you to lay down the "Racism Club?"
georgeob1

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 12:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

If blatham and his fellow progressives wish to be flagellants for the many sins of European White Christians, I applaud their religious zeal.

In reality, they want to wield the lash against those who disagree with them, sanctimoniously confident that by doing so they have "atoned."

I agree. The problem is of course that they believe they are the unique judges of the rest of us who have not yet "atoned" for sins we didn't commit.

In many ways it all comes down to the 'group values', to which Layman so eloquently referred. The problem, of course, is that if you presume to be able or empowered to make group judgments, you can also make group punishments and all that follows. That of course was a hallmark of Nazism and Marxim, and it led to mass extermination of Jews, Ukranian pesants and Chinese landowners.

Blatham is a crypto Nazi.
Baldimo

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 12:11 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
Question here, Baldimo: if you think that population numbers and ethnic diversity are relevant to whether or not you'd support universal healthcare, would you support universal healthcare on a county level in an area where the entire population shares your ethnic background?

My ethnic background? Which one? The Italian, Sicilian, German, English or the 3 or 4 other ethnicity's in my background? Depending on which side of the family I pick from it depends on how far back it goes. I'm 2nd generation on my fathers side of the family and on my mom's side of the family, we go back to the Revolutionary War, and that means a whole mix of different groups. We could discuss my family which includes my ex-wife and my kids, she is part black and white, so my kids include all of my ethic background and my ex's. It proves my point about diversity here in the US.

So mix all these different groups with their different beliefs and you have something different than Finland or France or even the UK. Add to that fact that there over 350 million of US and you have an issue here in the US that no other EU country faces.

Do I think UHC can work? Sure in smaller countries which smaller populations. The problem here in the US is not everyone shares the same values, the term US values has changed over the years. Do you recall JFK saying "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." Well in the last few decades that has been switched around. We no longer ask what we can do for our country, it's what our country can do for us, and that is the reason UHC won't work in the US. Everyone has their hand out but expect someone else to pay for it. Obama's 10 minimum requirements for the ACA rules continues to prove this.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 12:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
How long do you believe it is required that Germany atone for Nazi crimes?
I don't know who requires that "Germany" [the country? all citizens?] requires to atone.

What I do know is that our public prosecution has to hurry to get the last still living Nazi criminals to court.

We should never forget this dark period of the German history, and it has to present to remind us.
Otherwise, the Right will really rise to new heights ... they (AfD, and PEGIDA) try hard to do so.
Debra Law

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 12:37 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Individual people are not statistical averages, and they have rights as individuals to do what they want - even if you and other self-appointed seers don't think it wise. It's called freedom.

The acknowledgment and protection of individual rights is not the hallmark of the right wing / conservative political branch. When you jump on the "freedom" soap box, we know you're using the word in typical Orwellian fashion. We know individual persons don't have the power to protect themselves from oppressors. That's why they form governments and institute laws for the protection and benefit of all. Oppressors strive to control the government and to dismantle protections and eliminate benefits while seeking to convince the masses that "survival of the fittest" is "freedom". After all, the powerful become even more powerful when the masses of people are uneducated, live in cesspools of poverty, and work for slave wages so they don't starve to death.
Debra Law

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 01:04 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Re "powerful interests", I'm referring to the imbalance of power and influence between, say, the citizens of a town near a polluting source where the corporate interests of that polluter commonly have far greater means to set or influence policy than do the citizens themselves. They have the money, the lobbyists, the marketing people, the capacity to fund campaigns to a level that citizens cannot compete with, etc.

Lobbyists, as an example, were very successful in their "tort reform" efforts throughout the country. Thus, the powerful interests were able to limit or eliminate the ability of their victims to seek and obtain redress.