monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
layman

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 10:36 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

This thought (turning over an American citizen) should never be entertained, revelation or not part of the Russia-hack story.

Nobody I've seen is talking about "turning over" anybody (although they may end up doing that, who knows).

They're simply considering allowing the russians to question the guy, on our soil, and under our supervision.
layman

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 10:41 am
@layman,
We don't have an extradition treaty with Russia, but we do with most countries. Under such treaties anyone who is in our country (citizen or not) who is alleged to have committed crimes in the other country will, if good cause is shown, be "turned over" to the complaining country.
izzythepush

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 10:41 am
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/bbf963f46f3ff98072730cbf0d27aa0a5425328f/0_0_650_442/master/650.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=a6b7927fb3bc5eaed6d15f102582b21e
coldjoint

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 10:44 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Home Office had information on Rotherham grooming gangs in 2002 but failed to act, review finds

Talk about ****. Here is some.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/rotherham-grooming-gangs-inquiry-home-officer-information-2002-failure-a8451926.html
Walter Hinteler

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 10:51 am
U.S. must prepare for more Russian meddling: Nielsen
Quote:
(Reuters) - U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen on Thursday said the United States needed to be prepared for an attempt by Russia to interfere in elections in all 50 U.S. states this year, adding that there was no question Moscow interfered in the 2016 U.S. presidential contest.

“I don’t think there’s any question in the intel community or at DHS that Russians attempted to infiltrate and interfere with our electoral system,” she said. “I don’t think there’s any doubt that they did it, and I think we should all be prepared given that capability and will — that they’ll do it again.”
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 10:51 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

We don't have an extradition treaty with Russia, but we do with most countries. Under such treaties anyone who is in our country (citizen or not) who is alleged to have committed crimes in the other country will, if good cause is shown, be "turned over" to the complaining country.

Like you said, we don't with Russia. And unless I'm mistaken, the law has to be similar in both countries for an extradition to occur (for example, a law in North Korea where it would be illegal to speak ill of their leader would not see the US extraditing a citizen to that country if we had a treaty with them).

Assuming we did, do you think what this ambassador is accused of doing (by Russia) while in his position as a US Diplomat broke any laws in Russia or the US? Or was he just doing the job of a diplomat?

Do you agree with Cold Joint that we should send his ass to Russia and let them "interrogate" him however it is they do?
coldjoint

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 10:57 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Do you agree with Cold Joint that we should send his ass to Russia and let them "interrogate" him however it is they do?

I said if it would improve relations. And do you honestly think Russia would physically harm or torture a former ambassador? Especially being in the news like this.
maporsche

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 10:59 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

I said if it would improve relations. And do you honestly think Russia would physically harm or torture a former ambassador? Especially being in the news like this.

Well, Putin likely ordered the assassination of people on British soil with nerve agents....not to mention however many other opponents....so yeah, I think it's possible. Sure.
coldjoint

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 11:06 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Well, Putin likely ordered the assassination of people on British soil with nerve agents.

Considering Putin could get much out of it by proving corruption on Obama's and Killary's part I find it very unlikely. Democrats have made a little poop in their pants and it is starting to stink badly. Do you know why Killary is not talking about any of this? I think I do.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 11:10 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
In mid-summer, Montenegrins are usually preoccupied with cooling themselves off along the Adriatic coast. This year, the heat has been turned up even more, after Donald Trump characterised the tiny Balkan nation’s people as “very aggressive” and capable of sparking a third world war.
[...]
Asked by host Tucker Carlson in a conversation about Nato’s common defence policy: “Why should my son go to Montenegro to defend it from attack?”, the US president replied: “I understand what you’re saying. I’ve asked the same question.

“Montenegro is a tiny country with very strong people ... They’re very aggressive people. They may get aggressive, and congratulations, you’re in world war three.”
[...]
On Thursday, after 48 hours, of remaining tight-lipped, the Montenegrin government hit back, defending its role as “a stabilising state” and saying it was proud of belonging to the 29-member military alliance.

“Today as a new Nato member and candidate for EU membership Montenegro contributes to peace and stability not only on the European continent but worldwide, along with US soldiers in Afghanistan,” it said in a statement. “We build friendships, and we have not lost a single one … in today’s world, it does not matter how big or small you are, but to what extent you cherish the values of freedom, solidarity and democracy.”
[...]
“Far be it for me to comment on what a US president says, but he seems to be out of touch with US policy goals and not know what Nato is,” said Vesko Garčević, Montenegro’s former ambassador to Nato, who oversaw the country’s accession talks. “Membership was a strategic shift,” he told the Guardian from Podgorica, the country’s capital. “It was about joining the western club, embracing western values, not only about security. For Montenegro and the alliance it was a huge achievement, a very big success.”

Like most Balkan experts, Garčević fears that Trump’s intervention, so soon after his meeting with the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, in Helsinki, not only mirrors Moscow’s anti-Nato messaging but plays directly into Putin’s hands.

“To have the president of the US, the most powerful member of the alliance, question Nato’s principle of solidarity can only work in Russia’s favour,” he quipped. “One should ‘never say never’ when it comes to Trump … but this is insane. I can tell you these days we are thinking about our holidays, heading to resorts along the Adriatic, not waging world war three.”

With EU accession processes for most western Balkan states in stasis, Putin may be tempted to fill the space by testing the willingness of Nato members to respond in the event of another being attacked, analysts said.

“Trump’s remarks further undermine Nato and his message may be interpreted in Moscow as a clear sign that the current US government will not support its allies, should Moscow seek to destabilise the region by whatever means,” said Kenneth Morrison, professor of modern south-east European history at De Montfort University in Leicester, UK. “What’s important for the region is certainty and a clear sense of direction for the western Balkans – a clear EU perspective and, for those that seek it, Nato membership.”
The Guardian: How Trump destabilised Montenegro with a few words
izzythepush

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 11:12 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Well, Putin likely ordered the assassination of people on British soil with nerve agents....not to mention however many other opponents....so yeah, I think it's possible. Sure.

All of which makes any possible prisoner swap unlikely. Sergei Skripal was part of a prisoner exchange, and past protocol has been that once a prisoner is exchanged they'll be left alone, otherwise what's the point. What's the point in swapping Russian spies for allied ones if Putin is only going to murder them anyway?
coldjoint

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 11:23 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
All of which makes any possible prisoner swap unlikely.

We are swapping no one. Fix the fascist UK, we don't need or want your help.
maporsche

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 11:29 am
@coldjoint,
I’m not taking your distraction.

Republicans control ALL of the investigative branches of government. If there is something there, I’m SURE they’ll find it.
coldjoint

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 11:35 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Republicans control ALL of the investigative branches of government.

They do now, not then when this crap happened, and the information they want is being withheld by these agencies they are supposed to control. Why?
maporsche

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 11:36 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Republicans control ALL of the investigative branches of government.

They do now, not then when this crap happened and the information they want is being withheld by these agencies they are supposed to control. Why?

That's fake news. Duh.
coldjoint

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 11:40 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
That's fake news.

How is it fake news when Rosenstein is near impeachment for not releasing documents needed for Congressional over site? That is real news.
maporsche

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 11:41 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
That's fake news.

How is it fake news when Rosenstein is near impeachment for not releasing documents for Congressional over site. That is real news.

Fake news. He said under oath that there is no such thing happening.

If he's lying, he could be jailed for purjury...not just impeached.

FAKE. NEWS.
coldjoint

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 11:47 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Fake news. He said under oath that there is no such thing happening.

He is lying.
glitterbag

Thu 19 Jul, 2018 11:48 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

This idea is ridiculous.