monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 08:08 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
James Comey, the FBI director who was fired last year by President Donald Trump, is urging voters to support Democrats in November’s midterm elections.

Naturally. Getting Democrats in office is his only hope for staying out of an orange jumpsuit.
blatham

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 08:27 am
@ehBeth,
The meaning of sentence two escapes me.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 08:28 am
@layman,

blatham wrote:
James Comey, the FBI director who was fired last year by President Donald Trump, is urging voters to support Democrats in November’s midterm elections.

Layman:
Naturally. Getting Democrats in office is his only hope for staying out of an orange jumpsuit. [/quote]

It's also the way to start fitting Traitor Trump for the orange jumpsuit he so richly deserves. I'm sure they can sew the presidential seal on his.
blatham

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 08:32 am
And in today's edition of Voices From The Right. From George Will on Trump
Quote:
This sad, embarrassing wreck of a man
WP
blatham

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 08:38 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Layman:
Naturally. Getting Democrats in office is his only hope for staying out of an orange jumpsuit.
Layman, and others like him, has no other means of processing this information.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 08:44 am
Anyone recall the frenzied and hysterical MSM's narrative regarding their "conviction" of criminal defendants during this sorry escapade, eh?

Quote:
The Duke lacrosse case was a widely reported 2006 criminal case in which three members of the Duke University men's lacrosse team were falsely accused of rape. The case's resolution sparked public discussion ofmedia bias, and due process on campuses, and ultimately led to the resignation and disbarment of the lead prosecutor, Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong.

The rape was alleged to have occurred at a party held at the house of two of the team's captains in Durham on March 13, 2006. Durham District Attorney Nifong suggested that the alleged rape was a hate crime....

The initial prosecutor, Mike Nifong, was labeled a "rogue prosecutor" by Cooper, and withdrew from the case in January 2007 after the North Carolina State Bar filed ethics charges against him. In June 2007, Nifong was disbarred for "dishonesty, fraud, deceit and misrepresentation." Mangum faced no charges for her false accusations, as Cooper declined to prosecute her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case

I aint never seen no apologies from nobody. The reaction of the cheese-eaters after the russian collusion hoax collapses will be the same as the 'rape victim," in the Duke case, no doubt.

Quote:
On August 22, 2008, a press release announced the plannepublication in October 2008 of a memoir by Mangum, . "The Last Dance for Grace: The Crystal Mangum Story." In it, she continued to contend that she had been raped at the party and that the dropping of the case was politically motivated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case#Crystal_Mangum

gungasnake

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 08:55 am
@layman,
Mike Nifong today:

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/30000/Mike-Nifong-Flipping-Burgers--30146.jpg

Democrats will throw one of their own under the bus under exactly one set of circumstances, that is, the idiot being thrown under the bus has to have screwed up in so flagrant and public a manner as to endanger the entire Democrat organization and the careers of other Democrats. Mike Nifong passed that test.
layman

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 09:08 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Mike Nifong today:

Democrats will throw one of their own under the bus under exactly one set of circumstances, that is, the idiot being thrown under the bus has to have screwed up in so flagrant and public a manner as to endanger the entire Democrat organization and the careers of other Democrats. Mike Nifong passed that test.

Well, at least the "rape victim" managed to go on to bigger and better things, eh?

Quote:
Crystal Gail Mangum was eventually convicted of contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile, injury to personal property and resisting a public officer. In February 2010, she was arrested on charges of attempted murder of her live-in partner, Milton Walker

In November 2013, she was found guilty of second-degree murder after she repeatedly stabbed boyfriend Reginald Daye, who died 10 days after she attacked him.[4] She was sentenced to 14 to 18 years in prison.

She tried to kill one "boyfriend" then later killed another. That poor, poor girl has to serve 14 whole years, just for that. It's racism, I tells ya! She's done been VICTIMIZED, yet again.
blatham

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 09:11 am
One can't properly understand the origins of movement conservatism without looking at the early sixties and the rise of Goldwater. A key part of this story is the publication and widespread distribution of small paperbacks forwarding conspiracy theories. Today the WP has a piece on the death of John Stormer, one of the main writers/activists of this period. I very highly recommend this read It's Here

A relevant tidbit: As the piece notes, there were a series of "None Dare Call It ______" books put out by the same people and funded by the same people (John Birch crowd). I read one of these in the mid seventies (None Dare Call it Conspiracy"). The book had two authors, one of whom was Gary Allen, Michael Allen's father.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 09:14 am
@layman,
Like I done said:

layman wrote:
These democrats are like the bitch who runs to the cops to report being raped, then later ends up doing 3-5 for filing a false report, eh?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 09:29 am
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/397562-helsinki-summit-becomes-new-flashpoint-for-gop-anger

Quote:
Anger and frustration with President Trump are growing among Senate Republicans, who worry the unpredictable White House could undercut GOP chances of keeping the Senate majority.

The latest flashpoint is Trump’s handling of the summit in Helsinki with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Republicans think Trump, who was given a World Cup soccer ball by Putin, committed an own goal by refusing to stand up to Putin and denounce Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election. Instead, Trump appeared to accept Putin’s denial.

“It’s maddeningly frustrating,” fumed one Republican senator, who requested anonymity to comment frankly on the president’s tendency to overshadow the party’s message with controversy.

“People are just like, ‘What is going on?’ ” said Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.).

Trump tried to make amends Tuesday by walking back his remarks a day earlier putting equal stock in Putin’s denial of involvement in the election and the findings of U.S. intelligence agencies that conclude Russia meddled in the election to hurt Democrat Hillary Clinton and help Trump.

Even on Tuesday, Trump equivocated.

Reading from a statement, Trump told reporters at the White House that he accepts “our intelligence community’s conclusion that Russia’s meddling in the 2016 election took place.”

But he shaded it by adding, “Could be other people also. A lot of people out there.”

Trump only made the remarks after coming under enormous pressure from his own party.

“I would certainly like to see him put out a clarification,” Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) said hours beforehand.

Republicans expressed frustration that they had to deal with the controversy at all.

A second Republican senator, who asked to speak anonymously, said Trump appeared to be unprepared for Monday’s joint press conference with Putin.

The lawmaker said Trump or someone on his team should have anticipated a question about U.S. intelligence agencies’ finding of Russian meddling.

“I think it’s the president winging it. He gets into these jams and then tries to get out of them,” said the second GOP senator. “The story here is you need to be more prepared.”

Republicans are now expecting the story to linger for days and overshadow, at least for now, the Supreme Court nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh, who unified the GOP and divided Democrats.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) tried to put the focus back on the Supreme Court and the GOP’s successful 2017 effort to reform the tax code. But questions at his afternoon press conference all revolved around the hot-button issue of U.S.-Russia relations.

Democratic leaders gladly seized on the Helsinki summit as a reason to elect Democratic candidates in the fall.

“We will work to protect our security. We will not kowtow to Putin,” Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said. “If we’re in the majority, we’ll probably be more effective and you’d see a lot stronger things protecting American security than you will with this majority, which seems so afraid of President Trump.”

Senate Republicans worry the latest Russia controversy will add to the damage caused by what they saw as another unforced error by Trump: the forced separation of immigrant families at the border.

“There are a lot of people who are concerned,” Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) said of anxiety within the GOP conference over Trump’s unpredictability and loose management style.

Flake said the Trump administration appeared to be completely unprepared for the fallout it should have anticipated from its “zero tolerance” policy of prosecuting illegal border crossers, which led to the child separation crisis.

“One agency doesn’t seem to know what the other is doing. We’re still seeing that with the children at the border,” said Flake, a frequent critic of Trump’s who is retiring from the Senate.

Confusion erupted last month after a senior Customs and Border Protection official declared the agency would stop referring immigrants without legal status to the Justice Department, while officials at Justice insisted they would continue to prosecute people caught crossing the border illegally.

Flake said the same problem was evident at the Helsinki summit.

“To have such complete lack of coordination between the State Department and others, and what the president is saying, is just not normal,” he said.

Another irritant is the trade war that threatens to hurt the agriculture-dependent economies of battleground states that Republicans are hoping to capture in November, such as Indiana, Missouri, Montana and North Dakota.

Making it all the more frustrating to Republicans is that they think they could have had a series of strong news cycles given the strong economy, Trump’s generally well-received summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and the president’s nomination of Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

Senate Republican Conference Chairman John Thune (S.D.) touted the accomplishments of the first 18 months of Trump’s presidency, such as tax and regulatory reform, which has coincided with strong economic growth.

But he worries that Trump’s ongoing trade war with allies and other distractions may take away from that message.

“I hope that we don’t distract from that with issues like tariffs and trade. I think that has the potential to step on a lot of the economic progress we’ve made. I hope the president and his team will come to that conclusion,” Thune said.

Republicans want to talk about the economy and the likelihood of two conservative judges being confirmed to the Supreme Court.

“You want to play offense and a lot of times you end up playing defense,” Thune said. “If you’re out there and you’re controlling the message and kind of defining the terms of the discussion, that’s obviously the ideal place to be and it isn’t always the place we end up these days.”

At the same time, there’s growing resignation within the GOP conference over their inability to manage Trump or to get him to stick to their message.

“He’s what, 71 years old? I don’t think it’s likely to change,” said Senate Republican Whip John Cornyn (Texas).

resignation

I guess that's what we're seeing.
coldjoint

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 09:40 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I guess that's what we're seeing.

Actually, you are seeing nothing but media hype hoping what just happened matters to the voters. It doesn't. Trump clarified what he meant to say. For the voter it is over and will change 0 votes.

Now what we really want to see is what Justin will be wearing after Labor Day. Is that too late in the year for something backless and low cut? God do I wish I had his fashion sense.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 09:43 am
As in the Duke rape case, corrupt law enforcement officials (like Comey) knew just how to play the media, and of course the media knew just how to play the chumps.

Quote:
The Stripper Who Cried ‘Rape’: Revisiting the Duke Lacrosse Case Ten Years Later

“I knew in my heart that day that all of this was a lie,” says Nifong’s ex staffer Jackie Brown of the moment she says she realized the case was bunk. When Nifong won his reelection, she was horrified and quit shortly thereafter. “I said to him, do you have any idea what you’re doing? He said, ‘Yeah but it’s worth a million bucks in advertisements!’”

This case cast a searing eye upon those who rushed to judge the accused before the evidence bore itself out—which, in this case, was just about everyone, from the horrified public to journalists covering the case to the irate campus community to Duke University’s own administration. It was transformed into a Full Blown National Issue thanks to a media machine fueled by sensational headlines.

The rushes to judgment that had those three Duke players all but convicted in the court of public opinion before they even went to trial. (Which, incidentally, they never did.)

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-stripper-who-cried-rape-revisiting-the-duke-lacrosse-case-ten-years-later

But why is it that cheese-eating chumps are so easily played? Because they WANT to get played, that's why. It's the nature of the cheese-eaters. It's why chumps are there--to get chumped.
blatham

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 09:49 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
“He’s what, 71 years old? I don’t think it’s likely to change,” said Senate Republican Whip John Cornyn (Texas).

A middle aged couple are sitting at the table in their country cottage. Through the window behind them, we see an elderly man walking out to a herd of cows. He's carrying a chainsaw. The woman sees him. "Oh god, John. Your dad is going to kill another animal!" John replies, "I've talked to him about this. Didn't seem to do any good. It's just part of his nature. Could you slide the salt and pepper over."
layman

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 09:53 am
@blatham,
Anyone, republican, democrat, or whatever, who criticizes Trump will always get the same response from him:

"Kiss my lily-white ass."

Works every time!
ehBeth

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 09:55 am
@layman,
Actually that is Set's line.

Don't try to steal it.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 10:09 am
Quote:
Trump told reporters at the White House that he accepts “our intelligence community’s conclusion that Russia’s meddling in the 2016 election took place.”

But he shaded it by adding, “Could be other people also. A lot of people out there.”

What Louie was pointing out, and what the cheese-eating democrats obscured by attacking Louie for pointing out that Strzok was a Gawddam liar, was this:

Another Foreign government (NOT Russia) hacked every one of Clinton's emails. When told about this, Strzok wouldn't even look into the matter.

There were, indeed, "a lot people out there" who had an interest in making easy attacks on her highly insecure server. Comey also only said that is was "possible" that non-russians had hacked her system, when he knew for a stone-cold fact that they had.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 10:19 am
@blatham,
Thanks for the link. Sadly I think most of the republicans who plan on staying in their elected office, will try to avoid the whole Helsinki disaster and pretend to accept his half hearted backtrack so they can stay in their elected office. History is not going to be kind to Americans in future generations looking back on the Trump era.
blatham

Quote:
Carol Leonnig
‏Verified account
@CarolLeonnig
Russian Ministry comment on arrest of accused spy Maria Butina: "The impression is that the FBI, rather than doing its main job of fighting crime, is simply fulfilling an outright political order coming..from the forces that continue to stoke Russo-phobic hysteria."

To which Trump is certain to respond...

"I've talked to the Russian Ministry. Great guys. Very smart. Their intelligence is something I see strongly. Very strongly. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be trying to warn us about the witch hunt. But the fake media won't talk about the server. Treason!"
maporsche

This Trump would/wouldn't LIE is just so over the top. Holy cow, how this president's lies continue to surprise me, I don't know.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/donald-trump-damage-control-vladimir-putin-helsinki-election-tamper-support-intelligence-agencies-1202427999/

WHAT. A. COWARD. TRUMP. IS.

Quote:
“In a key sentence in my remarks, I said ‘would’ instead of ‘wouldn’t.’ The sentence should have been, ‘I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be Russia.’ You can put that in,” Trump instructed reporters at the White House. “I think that probably clarifies it.”

Here are his remarks; putting "wouldn't" in that sentence just doesn't make sense.

Does anyone believe this? Do the right-wingers?

Quote:
With that being said, all I can do is ask the question.

My people came to me, Dan Coates, came to me and some others they said they think it's Russia. I have President Putin. He just said it's not Russia.

I will say this: I don't see any reason why it would be. But I really do want to see the server but I have, I have confidence in both parties.

...removed a bunch of junk/word-salad about servers and Hillary...

I have great confidence in my intelligence people but I will tell you that President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today and what he did is an incredible offer.

He offered to have the people working on the case come and work with their investigators, with respect to the 12 people. I think that's an incredible offer. Ok? Thank you.