monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

georgeob1

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 12:16 pm
@glitterbag,
Thank you. I'm glad to know that you were impressed.
glitterbag

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 12:38 pm
@georgeob1,
My pleasure, always willing to admire your self satisfaction. It's big league.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 12:38 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

blatham wrote:

Some labor secretary, this boy.
Quote:
At first, Andrew F. Puzder’s California story sounds like one of the state’s sunny dreams come true: Midwestern lawyer stumbles into burger business, nurses storied chain back to health, wins industry plaudits and record profits.

But Mr. Puzder became an outspoken critic of his adopted state because of its vigorous workplace regulations. The mandatory rest breaks required by California made no sense, he felt, leaving restaurants understaffed when a rush of customers came in. His company paid millions of dollars to settle class-action lawsuits that accused it of cheating workers.

He spoke out against labor laws intended to benefit hourly workers like the ones who serve shakes and mop floors at Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s, the chains he runs.

“California has gone really from being this golden state, the state of opportunity, to being a kind of nanny state,” he said in 2009. “You can’t be a capitalist in this state.
NYT
Yeah. Capitalism is dead in California. You just never see it there anymore. It's Karl Marx top to bottom.

Apparently, what this jerk means by "capitalism" is the totally-unfettered-by-government-regulations definition.

The key ugliness here (aside from the guy's greed and selfishness) is the presumption and ideology that "freedom" is to be found only where income-generating operations have over-arching control of government along with its laws and regulations.

But unions are instruments of freedom. They allow employees to organize and fight for their freedom from conditions of servitude.

Similarly, Ben Carson refers to persons as "human capital". If persons are not fueling the engine of capitalism in a manner that allows the capitalist "owners" to gain the most profit, then they are part of the "load". In other words, "we the people" are slaves and any laws or regulations designed to make our lives better must be overturned or rewritten for the benefit of the owners.

The very poor, the old, and the sick are a part of that unacceptable load. The working poor should be thankful to be employed and should not dare to ask for work breaks or better wages because, without labor protections laws, there would exist a large supply of poor people to replace disgruntled workers.

I would like to add that "education reform" in the form of defunding public education, privatization, and school vouchers is not reform at all. It's a program designed to dumb-down the "human capital" of this nation. Here's a sample of what yesterday's capitalists thought about the education of "human capital":

Quote:
AN ACT TO PREVENT ALL PERSONS FROM TEACHING SLAVES TO READ OR WRITE, THE USE OF FIGURES EXCEPTED

Whereas the teaching of slaves to read and write, has a tendency to excite dis-satisfaction in their minds, and to produce insurrection and rebellion, to the manifest injury of the citizens of this State:

Therefore,

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of North Carolina, and it is hereby enacted by the authority of the same, That any free person, who shall hereafter teach, or attempt to teach, any slave within the State to read or write, the use of figures excepted, or shall give or sell to such slave or slaves any books or pamphlets, shall be liable to indictment in any court of record in this State having jurisdiction thereof, and upon conviction, shall, at the discretion of the court, if a white man or woman, be fined not less than one hundred dollars, nor more than two hundred dollars, or imprisoned; and if a free person of color, shall be fined, imprisoned, or whipped, at the discretion of the court, not exceeding thirty nine lashes, nor less than twenty lashes.

II. Be it further enacted, That if any slave shall hereafter teach, or attempt to teach, any other slave to read or write, the use of figures excepted, he or she may be carried before any justice of the peace, and on conviction thereof, shall be sentenced to receive thirty nine lashes on his or her bare back.

III. Be it further enacted, That the judges of the Superior Courts and the justices of the County Courts shall give this act in charge to the grand juries of their respective counties.

Source: "Act Passed by the General Assembly of the State of North Carolina at the Session of 1830—1831" (Raleigh: 1831).

Quote:

Fearing that black literacy would prove a threat to the slave system -- which relied on slaves' dependence on masters -- whites in many colonies instituted laws forbidding slaves to learn to read or write and making it a crime for others to teach them.

Excerpt from South Carolina Act of 1740

Whereas, the having slaves taught to write, or suffering them to be employed in writing, may be attended with great inconveniences; Be it enacted, that all and every person and persons whatsoever, who shall hereafter teach or cause any slave or slaves to be taught to write, or shall use or employ any slave as a scribe, in any manner of writing whatsoever, hereafter taught to write, every such person or persons shall, for every such offense, forfeit the sum of one hundred pounds, current money.

Excerpt from Virginia Revised Code of 1819

That all meetings or assemblages of slaves, or free negroes or mulattoes mixing and associating with such slaves at any meeting-house or houses, &c., in the night; or at any SCHOOL OR SCHOOLS for teaching them READING OR WRITING, either in the day or night, under whatsoever pretext, shall be deemed and considered an UNLAWFUL ASSEMBLY; and any justice of a county, &c., wherein such assemblage shall be, either from his own knowledge or the information of others, of such unlawful assemblage, &c., may issue his warrant, directed to any sworn officer or officers, authorizing him or them to enter the house or houses where such unlawful assemblages, &c., may be, for the purpose of apprehending or dispersing such slaves, and to inflict corporal punishment on the offender or offenders, at the discretion of any justice of the peace, not exceeding twenty lashes.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/slavery/experience/education/docs1.html
blatham

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 12:51 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
How do you know who is doing it?

Because of who is active on the board (in time periods where only two or three people are active) when it happens.

Quote:
Instead you complain. Why?

Because in the case of these two, particularly frugal, it's a part of the trolling behavior.
blatham

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 12:54 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Re: Walter Hinteler (Post 6344718)
I feel the need to apologize to Germany and to the world for Trump. Hopefully he is just allowed to mouth off and is kept reigned in by cabinet picks who seemed to have disagreed with him a lot.

Because we've now been informed by Conway that there is no connection between Trump's brain and mouth, we no longer have any means to determine what's in that brain. So perhaps he's a saintly man, a force for good, perhaps even knowledgeable past ego-consciousness.

But to be safe, go ahead and apologize. I think that's prudent.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 12:58 pm
@Debra Law,
I've got a bunch of reading lined up on DeVos. Of all the appointments that Pence has encouraged Trump to make (that's my assumption) this is one I find particularly distasteful and consequential.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:02 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
I would like to add that "education reform" in the form of defunding public education, privatization, and school vouchers is not reform at all.

What does it matter where the money is spent as long as it educates our children. You are worried about the teachers unions and not the education of children. How about we disband the unions in the schools, that would lessen the cost of education and allow for more money to be actually used on education instead of propping up pensions.

Quote:
It's a program designed to dumb-down the "human capital" of this nation.

The teachers unions have had control of the education system for how many decades now and it doesn't seem a majority of our schools are doing as well as they did before. How many younger adults even understand basic civics or their own personal economics?

Did you see the state of higher education taking place this weekend at UC Davis?

0 Replies

blatham

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:03 pm
Quote:
Trump’s goal is “to get insurance for everybody through marketplace solutions

Well of course it would not take even 24 hours for that Trump lie to get dressed up for dinner.
georgeob1

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:06 pm
@blatham,
You mean something like "if you like your doctor, you can keep him: if you like your current plan you can keep it" ??
blatham

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:08 pm
Quote:
Republican strategist Monica Crowley, who was slated to join President-elect Donald Trump’s national security team, announced Monday that she no longer intended to be a part the incoming administration. She was recently the subject of a plagiarism scandal reported on by CNN and Politico involving her PhD thesis and subsequent book.

“After much reflection I have decided to remain in New York to pursue other opportunities and will not be taking a position in the incoming
administration,”
TPM
I love this earlier bit from Trump world
Quote:
"Any attempt to discredit Monica is nothing more than a politically motivated attack that seeks to distract from the real issues facing this country," a transition spokesperson told the network at the time.

0 Replies

layman

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:13 pm
@Debra Law,
Is there any conceivable connection between any current issues being discussed and the archaic laws you reproduce ad nauseum?

Or is this just another typical attempt at insinuation by (non-existing) association somehow?

Do you think you have made some "point?"

Cheap-ass tactics like this do not enhance your credibility, they undermine it.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:15 pm
@georgeob1,
which was in fact true, as it turned out, in something like 90% of the cases, well above the average for political claims from both parties. The exceptions were largely for those cases where venal insurance companies issued plans which paid you a pittance and did their best to deny you coverage when they actually had to pay out (if y[u go back and read some of the investigative articles from the time, you'll find out that those kinds of plans were very popular amongst insyrance companies, less popular amongst the consumers who got taken. If you've ever tried reading all the fine print ins those contracts, and tried to figure out what it really MEANT they're impenetrable], you'll knpw whjy people were pissed)
Baldimo

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:29 pm
@MontereyJack,
This was true for no one. If your plan didn't contain the new govt mandated minimums, then it went away, which was the case for a majority of plans people liked and wanted to keep. Some plans even dropped useful items in order to make way for items not everyone needed. Maternity coverage and birth control are a few of the key items that come it mind.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:29 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

It is possible that Trump will produce some good consequences here and there but if so, I'm guessing it will be a rare occurrence. 10 to 1 he will, for example, later clarify that he meant or said, "insurance available for all".

We'll see.

My husband and I do not qualify for any government assistance for our health insurance, which costs $1,775+ a month ($21,300+ per year). The cost increases every year. If I made $10.25 an hour at a fulltime job (2080 work hours year), I would need every cent of that wage just to pay for our health insurance. But, I wouldn't be able to pay for anything else, let alone meet the deductible and co-pay requirements. Reform is necessary because the current costs of insurance render the product unaffordable. We need the public option. I shouldn't be forced to pay a private company thousands of dollars every year when that money could fund a viable public option.
blatham

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:35 pm
@georgeob1,
You're speaking of the Politifact "lie of the year" award. They said:
Quote:
"Obama's ideas on health care were first offered as general outlines then grew into specific legislation over the course of his presidency. Yet Obama never adjusted his rhetoric to give people a more accurate sense of the law's real-world repercussions, even as fact-checkers flagged his statements as exaggerated at best.
And as we know, he apologized for this. Do you predict Trump will admit he got something wrong and apologize?

And let's recall that the subsequent lie of the year was awarded to "Obamacare is a government takeover of healthcare". Are you going to join them in that one?

Baldimo

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:38 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
We need the public option. I shouldn't be forced to pay a private company thousands of dollars every year when that money could fund a viable public option.

The American people do not want a public option. CO tried to pass one this last election and it lost by a large margin, 78% of the voting public in CO voted against it. The same state that went for Hillary, and Obama twice, voted against the public option or Universal Health Care or whatever it gets packaged as.
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/11/08/coloradocare-amendment-69-election-results/
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:44 pm
@Debra Law,
Assuming your data is correct and a reliable indicator, then perhaps what we need is more competition and less government involvement. If the insurance costs $ 10K/year for each individual, then the cost for 360 million Americans will be 3,6 x 10 E 12 or $3.6 thousand billion/year. A large strain on the national debt. Alternatively we could nationalize the service and ration care for everyone, Perhaps that is what you are suggesting. I believe we can do much better than that, with some new insurance law that will enhancew the free market.
blatham

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:44 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
We need the public option.

I'm with you in that, Deb. Our system here is pretty wonderful. Glitches and trade-offs, as with any system, but I'm nearing 70 and I've never had any sort of problem (delays, doctor choice, etc) nor have my family, two with cancer and one with MS.

As you may know, American rightwingland is awash in purposeful miseducation about our system (a necessary propaganda move for them). I would have real trouble counting up the number of Americans who've never lived here nor even visited here who were convinced they knew more about Canadian healthcare than myself. And that's a commonplace for Candians visiting down there.

But it's my understanding that Obama was constrained by the realities of existing structures of power and interest and that he had to settle for the Romney model. And with that model, there are some 15 million? now insured who weren't before.
Debra Law

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:46 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Propaganda device #1 - Repeat the Lie
Quote:
Glenn Kessler ‏@GlennKesslerWP 17h17 hours ago
Priebus today: "This man won in an electoral landslide." We have noted before this is false. Rank is 46 out of 58.

Orwellian "newspeak", "big lie" propaganda, and polarization through "red meat issues" are the tools of tyrants. The "uneducated" supporters, whom tyrants "love", lack the basic education and critical thinking skills necessary to know they are being used and victimized.
blatham

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:51 pm
Quote:
One of the most alarming aspects of the rise of Trump is (or should have been) his embrace of the Orwellian lie. This also cannot be normalized with a comforting “all politicians lie.” Of course they do. Lying is not telling the truth, or shaping a version of events with the intent to deceive. These things happen. Jimmy Carter promised he would “never lie to us.” Great. Nixon told so many lies it’s amazing he could keep track of them. But we are not talking about garden variety lying here — we are talking about the totalitarian lie: lies told, repeatedly, loudly and insistently, in direct confrontation with the indisputable truth. Lies purposefully designed to undermine the very capacity to make truth claims. Orwell was right to warn of this. But here we are.

Having spent three-quarters of a century fretting about enemies abroad, we have never fully processed a lesson of history: that great civilizations almost invariably collapse from within.

We are in the hands of an ignorant, amoral, petulant authoritarian who has been handed the keys to the most powerful office on the country, and the world.
http://blog.lareviewofbooks.org/essays/america-america/

This one's tough. But we better drop the illusions.