monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 12:32 pm
@blatham,
I got your "emolument" right here, eh, Blathy.

Anyone who thinks (as many now argue) that any arm's-length, quid pro quo transaction that a person might participate in is an "emolument" cannot be serious. A president couldn't even buy a candy bar, if that were true.

That said, Trump has volunteered to give all profits his companies receive from letting hotel rooms to foreign dignitaries to the government. In return, he is accused of being corrupt and self-serving by the whack-ass lefties.

Go figure, eh?
cicerone imposter

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 12:41 pm
@blatham,
I've said it before; I agree there's a good chance Trump will be impeached in his first 12 to 18 months. He doesn't understand the US Constitution, and he's not mature enough to understand that a president is not free to do anything he wishes.
Below viewing threshold (view)
giujohn

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 12:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I've said it before; I agree there's a good chance Trump will be impeached in his first 12 to 18 months. He doesn't understand the US Constitution, and he's not mature enough to understand that a president is not free to do anything he wishes.

All ya gotta do is bet me...Put up or shut up.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 12:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I got under Frug's skin. That's good, and I'm going to continue. LOL
http://www.salon.com/2017/01/13/irish-bookie-puts-odds-on-trumps-administration-inauguration-and-impeachment/
cicerone imposter

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 12:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here's another. https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-impeachment-impeached-highly-likely-us-president-elect-inauguration-us-congress-illegal-a7525761.html%3Famp?client=safari
Frugal1

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 12:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Response moderated: Personal attack. See more info.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 01:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
But yet you won't take the bet. Tsk tsk tsk.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 01:10 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Assaults on free speech; the imprisoning of critics and dissidents; attempts, on the Russian model, likely to begin soon, to intimidate critics of the regime with fake charges and conjured-up allegations; the intimidation and intolerance of even mild dissidence...They are unprecedented and, history tells us, likely to be almost impossible to reverse.

The drama-queenery around this here joint has done gone clean over the cotton-pickin top, eh?
layman

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 01:23 pm
Run around dissin Trump, and you're gunna have to deal with these sisters.

layman

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 01:33 pm
@layman,
And that includes your sorry ass, John Lewis:

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 01:55 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Trump has volunteered to give all profits his companies receive from letting hotel rooms to foreign dignitaries to the government. In return, he is accused of being corrupt and self-serving by the whack-ass lefties.
Now that's is sheer stupidity. hotel bills from foreign dignitaries are what? One one thousandth of the millions he's gonna get from foreign dignitaries who offer him business deals, which will be extremely thinly disguised bribes for favorable consideration once he gets in office., You guys bitched endlessly about Hillary's "pay-for-play". thinly evidenced at best. THat whole bullshit amount will be petty change compared to what the Donald is going to pile up if he isn't forced to divest. That's the way he;s always run his business, . Won't stop if his sons run the businesses. How naïve do you think we are? More importantly perhaps, how naïve are you?
blatham

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 02:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yup. You did.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 02:08 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

You guys bitched endlessly about Hillary's "pay-for-play". thinly evidenced at best.

"Thinly evidenced?" Hahahaha.

"Thinly evidenced" is your baseless claims about what you claim to "know" will happen in the future, eh?

Aint nuthin new. No commie has ever needed a single supporting fact before proclaiming slander as truth. You work for CNN?

Carry on. The hysteria is rather amusing, ya know?
georgeob1

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 02:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cicerone, apparently you didn't read the article you pasted here as "proof" of Trump's supposed impeachment. Apart from the headline and the vaporous speculations of one obscure Professor of undergrauate courses in Political science at a never heard of college, most of the article outlines the difficulty of impeachment and the many factors indicating it is highly unlikely at best.

Apparently this story is going around: I heard a version of it from a friend - an impassioned Liberal - in the Calamari Club in SF a couple of days ago. I believe this is merely an expressions of the denial and delusions of folks who haven't yet internalized the significance of the recent election, and don't have the presence of mind to think it through. Interestingly most of the membership ( a lot of North Beach types, Judges, lawyers, union bosses and a few retired professional athletes) was speaking with unusual and mostly positive candor about Trump -- in San Francisco !!!

Impeachment requires a trial for wrongful acts while in office (Trump hasn't yet been inaugriated) with a majority vote to bring charges in the House and a 2/3rd vote to convict in the Senate. Given the current Republican majorities in the Congress and the risks Democrats face in the 2018 Senatorial election, overturning that situation is hardly a reasonable possibility. When I reminded my friend in the Calamari Club of those facts he replied saying the Republicans will yurn on Trump and do it themselves.

blatham

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 02:17 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Re: layman (Post 6343970)
Quote:
Quote:
Trump has volunteered to give all profits his companies receive from letting hotel rooms to foreign dignitaries to the government. In return, he is accused of being corrupt and self-serving by the whack-ass lefties.

Now that's is sheer stupidity. hotel bills from foreign dignitaries are what? One one thousandth of the millions he's gonna get from foreign dignitaries who offer him business deals, which will be extremely thinly disguised bribes for favorable consideration once he gets in office., You guys bitched endlessly about Hillary's "pay-for-play". thinly evidenced at best. THat whole bullshit amount will be petty change compared to what the Donald is going to pile up if he isn't forced to divest. That's the way he;s always run his business, . Won't stop if his sons run the businesses. How naïve do you think we are? More importantly perhaps, how naïve are you?

Note that his promise relates only to profits. Not costs (which his accountants will bill in Trump's favor). Second, whatever is left over as "profits" will be undoubtedly be recouped in tax write-offs.

But the more important point is that Trump has just laid out a mechanism where foreign (or other business related groups/individuals like lobbyists, CEOs, Russian stewardesses) can gain access to him and hand him money in exchange.

And, as you say, MJ, everything else related to the Trump family's business activities around the world remain outstanding as potential for corruption.
blatham

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 02:18 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
When I reminded my friend in the Calamari Club of those facts he replied saying the Republicans will yurn on Trump and do it themselves.

That is the way it will happen if it does.
layman

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 02:19 pm
@layman,
Quote:

noun: hysteria;

PSYCHIATRY
a psychological disorder whose symptoms include selective amnesia, shallow volatile emotions, and overdramatic or attention-seeking behavior. The term has a controversial history as it was formerly regarded as a disease specific to women.

Fits, sho nuff.

I don't see the "controversy," though. It IS specific to women, whether male or female.
farmerman

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 02:22 pm
@layman,
Quote:
symptoms include selective amnesia, shallow volatile emotions, and overdramatic or attention-seeking behavior.

talking about trump's press conference?
layman

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 02:25 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
symptoms include selective amnesia, shallow volatile emotions, and overdramatic or attention-seeking behavior.

talking about trump's press conference?

Good catch, Farmer! I really wasn't thinking of that CNN reporter, but you're right.
0 Replies