monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 09:50 am
Quote:
Mark Sanford Defeated in SC Primary Contest – MAGA Supported Katie Arrington Wins!!

Trump backed candidate beats an establishment 0.
Quote:
Earlier today President Trump tweeted support for Sanford’s challenger Ms. Katie Arrington. As of 12:15am with around 99% of the vote Arrington has defeated Sanford by approximately 4 points (51/47):

More Trump supporters in Congress equals more Trump agenda. A win win.
https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2018/06/12/mark-sanford-defeated-in-primary-contest-maga-supported-katie-arrington-wins/
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 09:55 am
@blatham,
I found the articles with a quick Google search. It's not difficult at all. The different biases applied are quite pronounced and obvious. In addition, as I indicated, the objective factors this time, such as the sanctions already in place, and promised to continue until substantial action is complete, as well as the explicit a priori negotiating position taken by the U.S. are much more promising. Unfortunately no acknowledgment of these facts was offered in the piece you cited.

There's no guarantee all this will work, and the prior track record of the regime in North Korea certainly calls for continued skepticism. However I think that Trump has demonstrated that he will take firm and sometimes unpredicted actions. I believe that contributed significantly to the apparent progress already made.

The rather severe sanctions previously imposed remain in place, and with no evident promise to relax them until substantial verifiable chance has occurred. In 1994 Clinton negotiated with no sanctions in place and agreed to up front economic payments in return for promises of better future behavior. Big difference also unacknowledged.
coldjoint

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 09:55 am
Quote:
North Dakota Republicans Nearly Double Democrats in Strong Midterm Year Primary Turnout

Where is the angry Trump hating voter? Maybe some white supremacists slit their tires or threatened their families? I doubt that, but something made them stay home. The Democrats do not have much time to figure out what it is, although it is very obvious to many.
https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry/north-dakota-republicans-nearly-double-democrats-in-strong-midterm-year-primary-turnout/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 09:57 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Quote:
He also announced an unexpected end to US-South Korea military drills.

The move - long demanded by Pyongyang - has been seen as major concession to North Korea and appeared to take US allies in the region by surprise.

The Pentagon has since sought to reassure its allies of its "ironclad" security commitments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44464236

bad haircut and all, Kim got what no one in his family could.
Olivier5

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:02 am
@ehBeth,
This was essentially a meeting between weird haircuts.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:06 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I found the articles with a quick Google search.
And your search terms were what?
georgeob1

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:09 am
@ehBeth,
The annual "Team Sprit" exercise in the Sea of Japan and in S. Korea is no big deal. ( I've been directly involved in several of them.) These exercises are easily resumed if needed. More significantly from a military readiness perspective, routine military & naval coordination and exercises with South Korea continue as previously.

Here again the contrast with Clinton in 1994, and Obama with Iran in 2016, is very telling. In both of these our very costly opening concessions were real, material and irrecoverable. We only recently completed the 2018 "Team Spirit" exercise and Cancellation of the next one, scheduled for 2019 can (and will likely be ) rescinded if no progress in the forthcoming negotiations occurs.
In effect Trump gave them only a gesture.
georgeob1

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:15 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I found the articles with a quick Google search.
And your search terms were what?

NY Times Articles & Editorials on 1994 Agreement with North Korea.

It's not hard at all.
Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:22 am
@georgeob1,
Hadn't thought of phrasing search terms for old news items like that. Thank you. When I get time I'll take a look but I have no confidence your claim of irrational bias has anything to it beyond your automatic axiom regarding the press.
coldjoint

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:25 am
@blatham,
Quote:
When I get time I'll take a look but I have no confidence your claim of irrational bias has anything to it beyond your automatic axiom regarding the press.

He keeps giving you trouble you could wish him dead, like a whole bunch of people you already did, that disagree with your views. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:26 am
Quote:
President Trump appeared awfully eager to throw his support to Corey Stewart, the new GOP nominee for Senate in Virginia, despite the fact that he is an apologist for white supremacy who has been condemned by other Republicans. Trump, arriving back from abroad, tweeted his support for Stewart at 5:55 a.m., wishing him “Congratulations” for his “great victory,” and declaring that he has “a major chance of winning” against Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine.

...Stewart prevailed last night in the Virginia GOP Senate primary by a slim margin over a former Green Beret who had the backing of the party establishment. Some Republicans immediately expressed dismay. Bill Bolling, the former lieutenant governor of Virginia, tweeted: “This is clearly not the Republican Party I once knew, loved and proudly served. Every time I think things can’t get worse they do, and there is no end in sight.”
https://wapo.st/2LO4YvY

Better late than never, I suppose.

0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:31 am
https://constitution.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Broken-Promise-600-LA.jpg
Laughing Laughing Laughing
https://constitution.com/promises-promises/
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:33 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Hadn't thought of phrasing search terms for old news items like that. Thank you. When I get time I'll take a look but I have no confidence your claim of irrational bias has anything to it beyond your automatic axiom regarding the press.

That's OK with me. I find your flat denial of any bias, expressed, by you own admission, without any actual comparison with directly analogous events, to be rather laughable ( not to mention 'axiomatic') , particularly given the scurrilous nature of the NYT piece you cited.
Olivier5

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:33 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:

And got only a gesture in return.
blatham

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:53 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
scurrilous nature of the NYT piece

Really? You are going to use that term for that piece? **** me.

Quote:
1 a : using or given to coarse language
b : vulgar and evil
scurrilous imposters who used a religious exterior to rob poor people —Edwin Benson
2 : containing obscenities, abuse, or slander scurrilous accusations

A Trump supporter like yourself has given up all rights to use of the term "scurrilous".
georgeob1

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:54 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

And got only a gesture in return.

To some extent that's true, though North Korea did complete the destruction of their Nuclear weapons test site following the underground collapse of a portion of the area , and has already ceased a pattern of provocative missile tests - that likely a response to Trump's threat of military action if it continued.

Trump paid a lot less for the "gestures" he's gotten than Clinton and Obama did for their efforts, both of which were characterized by them, at the time, as lasting solutions. Unlike his predecessors, Trump has rather clearly indicated that so far we have only the prospect of a solution and that the real action is ahead.
ehBeth

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:55 am
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/trump-lawyer-michael-cohen-cooperate-attorneys-leave-case/story?id=55861988

Quote:
Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump’s longtime confidant and former personal attorney, is likely to cooperate with federal investigators, as his lawyers are expected to leave the case, sources said.

To date, Cohen has been represented by Stephen Ryan and Todd Harrison of the Washington and New York firm, McDermott, Will & Emery LLP, but a source representing this matter has disclosed to ABC News that they are not expected to represent him going forward.

breaking

we'll see how this pans out